Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My Official Project thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
J P Stein
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Dec 28 2010, 12:19 PM) *

Um..... Are you calling me an 'internet dabbler'? cool_shades.gif

You didn't say something absurd like "Webers are fiddly", so no, you're not included ...unless you wanna be. biggrin.gif

You like the Zeniths, fine. You'll learn that they are "fiddly" till you learn what it takes to make them work.
messix
JP is sounding more and more like a "crusty" old man!

take a Geritol and get over it JP! happy11.gif av-943.gif
RiqueMar
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Dec 28 2010, 01:18 PM) *

You didn't say something absurd like "Webers are fiddly", so no, you're not included ...unless you wanna be. biggrin.gif

You like the Zeniths, fine. You'll learn that they are "fiddly" till you learn what it takes to make them work.

Thank you J P, you're proving Root Werks to be absolutely correct bye1.gif ......

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Dec 15 2010, 10:20 AM) *

People have pretty strong opinions on Zenith vs Weber......

RiqueMar
Working on this now....

Went to the other shop to grab a pair of HE's.... and came back with 2/5 pairs. Guys are gone for the day, so I have the whole shop to myself..... Heeeeeello 80's mixtape!

IPB Image

Set 1

IPB Image

Set 2

IPB Image

Set 3... Looks like headers that someone started to make into HE's? I dunno...

IPB Image
mepstein
Do you need those in sunny San Diego? They would bring a pretty penny in colder parts of the country/overseas.
RiqueMar
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 6 2011, 05:17 PM) *

Do you need those in sunny San Diego? They would bring a pretty penny in colder parts of the country/overseas.

I'm going ahead and sandblasting all of them. I might part with one, but I dunno. They're coming out REALLY good, just giving the compressor a bit of a break.
RiqueMar
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Jan 6 2011, 05:58 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 6 2011, 05:17 PM) *

I'm going ahead and sandblasting all of them. I might part with one, but I dunno. They're coming out REALLY good, just giving the compressor a bit of a break.

Got one set done, took about 2 hours to do two.... Small puncture in one, but I'm gonna turn out the other set tomorrow, and see how it is. Amazing how 40 years of crap can come off in 2 hours

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
RiqueMar

I should note, I'm not COMPLETELY done cleaning them, but mostly. What are some ideas for coating? Just high temp paint?

IPB Image

IPB Image
mepstein
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Jan 7 2011, 01:32 AM) *
I should note, I'm not COMPLETELY done cleaning them, but mostly. What are some ideas for coating? Just high temp paint?
Ceramic paint/Jet Hot coating. Inside and out. Spend the money, make them look nice and last another 40 years.
RiqueMar
Took it a bit easy today and organized and put on these door panels. I think they look pretty sharp. Still have to put on the handle/pocket on the drivers side....

IPB Image

IPB Image
RiqueMar
Oh! Also, I took the valve covers and chain tensioner covers off the 3.2 as well, I'll swap these when they get powder coated....

IPB Image

IPB Image
RiqueMar
Video of engine running. Gotta love that sound!

Video here
Krieger
Sounds good! What exhaust are you running?
Mr.242
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Jan 6 2011, 11:32 PM) *

I just dropped off my HEs to PERFORMACE COATINGS here in Auburn, WA. http://www.performancecoatings.com/index2.html

If you wait a bit, 2 weeks, I'll show you pics of what mine look like when done. And give you an opinion. Quoted $275 for both to be done. Figured they need the extra protection since it is a SIX. picked silver titanium as the color.

RiqueMar
QUOTE(Krieger @ Jan 10 2011, 05:32 PM) *

Sounds good! What exhaust are you running?

Thanks! Thats actually the stock muffler with the cat still on it. I swear, it was glowing red after a few go's, I hear they don't do well with carbs, who knew? huh.gif . For now, I'll be running stock /6 exhaust and am going to see if I can do the same muffler, I'm hoping it sounds just as good or better inside the engine bay of the 914, and I definitely think it sounds better in person, the GoPro can't capture what it really sounds like.

QUOTE(Mr.242 @ Jan 10 2011, 07:02 PM) *

I just dropped off my HEs to PERFORMACE COATINGS here in Auburn, WA. http://www.performancecoatings.com/index2.html

If you wait a bit, 2 weeks, I'll show you pics of what mine look like when done. And give you an opinion. Quoted $275 for both to be done. Figured they need the extra protection since it is a SIX. picked silver titanium as the color.

Sounds cool, I'll check it out. We may have some stuff from the shop going out to a coating shop this week, so if that's so, I want to throw my stuff in there as well. $275 doesnt seem bad.

ONTHEGRIND
We use dispersant coatings which are a performance based coating and help radiate heat from the valve train and cylinder heads only problem is it only comes in black..

Pm me for more info..
RiqueMar
Starting putting in the carpet. But before that, I wanted to have some 'padding' to go beneath it, plus I don't like how you can see beneath the seats and such in the 914....

At my Dads advice, I got some cheap felt carpet and started laying it down. This allows for padding and some sound absorption, and the black backround looks much 'neater' and clean than just seeing the panel.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Started off by cleaning the area, then taping around the wiring harness and anywhere that the glue can go....

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

The felt with no backing is really easy to 'form' to the spaces and crevices...

IPB Image

Then, after everything is is set, cut out the spaces around the harness so you have access.....

IPB Image

IPB Image

Repeat for the whole pan.....

IPB Image
RiqueMar

Carpet kit went in the car today. Black plush carpet....

IPB Image

IPB Image

RiqueMar
Oil tank looking good after some paint touch up, I was actually surprised how little work it needed. Has oil sitting in it now with everything plugged up....

IPB Image

Took me about 30 minutes, but I got all the sheet metal... I'm one happy camper biggrin.gif

IPB Image
malaga_red75
what kind of carpet was the stuff that you glued in? I am looking for the thin, GT style carpet for my project.

RiqueMar
QUOTE(malaga_red75 @ Jan 17 2011, 09:30 PM) *

what kind of carpet was the stuff that you glued in? I am looking for the thin, GT style carpet for my project.

I think it's just black matting of some type. I think it was about $9 a yard. I think it would be pretty cool for a GT project, I would def recommend contact cement though.
RiqueMar
With the carpet crossed off, this is the next item on the list.....

This is basically what I'm dealing with right now.... I'm kinda bitching, but the rest of the car is done, and everything is good, it's just getting everything nice and neat and back to stock....

IPB Image

IPB Image

RiqueMar
Shameless plug...

The 4cyl (2.0) I was originally going to put in my car is up for sale in the classified section

See it here....

Mr.242

IPB Image

IPB Image

Here's my HE that I just got back from Performance Coatings in Auburn, WA.

beerchug.gif Well worth the $230 to have 'em done!
Click to view attachment
RiqueMar
QUOTE(Mr.242 @ Jan 24 2011, 09:10 PM) *

Here's my HE that I just got back from Performance Coatings in Auburn, WA.

beerchug.gif Well worth the $230 to have 'em done!
Click to view attachment

Yep, those definitely look awesome! I'm taking some stuff to powder coating, and I'm gonna see what they can do for my HE's there.
RiqueMar
Few new developments and 'finds'...

Forget MOMO, Dad found and gave me this.... Its 'Personal' shades.gif

IPB Image
IPB Image

Also acquired 2 lifts that we are putting up now, a Four-post and a Two-post...

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

We are looking into doing an RSR tribute car to promote our racing simulators... and we got this with the car... I was originally going to go with a 3.0 SC engine, but this 2.7 looks to be more fresh, as everything appears to be new on it (tensioners, powdercoated valve covers, etc). It shows only little signs of use and was recently converted to 2.9, leading me to think that it's been recently gone over. I'll be taking the CIS off later today....

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

RiqueMar

Off Topic Sidenote: Congratulations to my Father on another beautiful car..... Now if only I could get him more motivated on his 914!!!

IPB Image

MoveQik
Will it be done in time Route 66? biggrin.gif
RiqueMar
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Jan 27 2011, 05:24 PM) *

Will it be done in time Route 66? biggrin.gif

Hmmm, I hadn't thought of that... it's in April right?
RiqueMar
The Engine when I started earlier....

IPB Image

Midway through...

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Now.....

IPB Image
IPB Image
RiqueMar
Question: Why does it say '911 S CID'?

IPB Image
RiqueMar
Now I'm not, by any means, looking to enter this engine in a beauty contest. However, I am trying to get all the junk off of it, so I've resorted to 'Engine Bright' and industrial strength Simple Green.

On a side note, I have realized one thing recently..... Life is SO much easier with an engine stand.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
RiqueMar
Sidenote: We finally got in our lifts. I hope to drop the four cylinder thats currently in my car (the one on the right), put in this engine, and also a Rennshift shifter and linkage kit..

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
RiqueMar
My Father happened to find this online for only $100 dollars!

Now if I can just find it's twin, I'll be set!

IPB Image

IPB Image
AZ914
Looks good Rique! Where all did you put the FatMat? I have a new carpet kit I'm going to install this month and was thinking of FatMat(ing) the car first. How much did you end up using?
RiqueMar
QUOTE(AZ914 @ Feb 1 2011, 02:46 PM) *

Looks good Rique! Where all did you put the FatMat? I have a new carpet kit I'm going to install this month and was thinking of FatMat(ing) the car first. How much did you end up using?

Hey AZ,

The Fatmat is going go on the firewall and in the doors. If I remember correctly, I ordered 25 ft. If you check back, I'll be putting it in either today or tomorrow.

As for last night, I decided on some 'Engine Bling'....

Before.....

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
RiqueMar
Mid....

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
RiqueMar
After...

IPB Image

IPB Image
RiqueMar
Wow, my 1,000th post..... and I'm still not done.... crazy...

Tonight we are laying sound deadener..... It's not as fun as I thought it was going to be.

This is where I am right now, and I'm about an hour and a half into it. Decided that I'm going to be doing the floors just below the seats, as that seems more 'tinny' than the doors.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
McMark
Lookin' good. Can't wait to sound deaden my car.
Bee Jay
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 2 2011, 06:54 PM) *

I put felt on top of Fatmat in my Corvette. Then I put the carpet kit in. Yes, it really worked great. Wasn't my idea. Someone with an acoustic engineering degree on the Corvette Forum suggested it.
Bee Jay
RiqueMar
QUOTE(Bee Jay @ Feb 2 2011, 08:49 PM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 2 2011, 06:54 PM) *

I put felt on top of Fatmat in my Corvette. Then I put the carpet kit in. Yes, it really worked great. Wasn't my idea. Someone with an acoustic engineering degree on the Corvette Forum suggested it.
Bee Jay

Bee Jay,

Yeah, I was going to go with just the felt on the floor, then the carpet kit, but they give you ALOT of Fatmat. I just got done, and I covered the firewall, the lower firewall, the floor under the seats, and both doors. I already had the felt on there but then said 'screw it' and ripped it off. I'll be putting on more tomorrow.
RiqueMar
All done. Ok, so with 25sqft, you're able to do the firewall, the lower firewall, the rear part of the center tunnel, below both seats, and both doors. I actually wasted a few feet getting pieces stuck together, had I not messed up I could have probably done the forward part of the center tunnel. It's pretty easy, as this only took me about 4-5 hours. I used Fatmats 'Mega Mat' which was about $70 for 25sqft

A few points...
-The stuff doesnt start to stick until you really put it on there and roll it
-If it gets stuck to itself, forget about it, it's stuck, move on to the next piece
-Measure, measure, measure. Lay down the piece and use it as a stencil if you have to
-Do it with your carpet kit out..... ask me how I found this out dry.gif
-The doors are noticeably heavier, and now close with a 'thud'

I forgot my iPhone at home yesterday, so I took these pictures by holding my laptop up.... It's harder than it looks.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
J P Stein
163.9 cubic inch displacement =2.7L roughly.
RiqueMar
Of course, the trimming of the valve covers.

A few weeks back, I asked about taking down the valve covers. I'de seen alot of answers, but could'nt find a definite about to trim, so I just put it on the machine, and took it down to about .005 about the mounting holes, in order to shave off a little more tomorrow.

..... I suppose I could have done it with a sander, but that just freaks me out.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

More and more progress!!

IPB Image
AZ914
looks awesome! Thanks for the FatMat info. I think I'm going to do the full firewall and floors/tunnel.
RiqueMar
QUOTE(AZ914 @ Feb 4 2011, 07:04 AM) *

looks awesome! Thanks for the FatMat info. I think I'm going to do the full firewall and floors/tunnel.

25sqft is definitely enough, with 50 I could see you doing the whole car and the firewall and rear floors 2-3 times or the car twice.
RiqueMar
Came in this morning, and found my valve covers sheeplove.gif humping sheeplove.gif another engine....

IPB Image

Lower covers...

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
Gudhjem
Just finished reading the whole thread. Nice work!

I can't wait to see how your no-chrome mission turns out. I'm considering going the same way for mine.
RiqueMar
QUOTE(Gudhjem @ Feb 4 2011, 09:33 AM) *

Just finished reading the whole thread. Nice work!

I can't wait to see how your no-chrome mission turns out. I'm considering going the same way for mine.

Thanks man! I'm stoked to drive it atleast by this summer! I'm su=ick of looking at it....

Decided to tackle the fan and shroud last night before going out on a Friday night. This was also a good opportunity to check out the condition and clean the alternator.

Disassembling the fan from the alternator is quite easy, ESPECIALLY when you have Wayne Dempseys book 101 Projects for your Porsche 911. All you have to do is remove the nuts on the back of the fan housing, disconnect (and mark) the wires that go to the alternator, disconnect the main nut on the front of the fan, and 'tap' out the fan/alternator from it's housing. I took this opportunity to sandblast and clean the fan, housing and alternator......

Keep in mind when painting the fan, this is gonna be the coolest part.... that absolutly no one sees dry.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.