Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My Official Project thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
JmuRiz
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Mar 9 2012, 07:16 AM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Mar 9 2012, 06:05 AM) *

RiqueMar - I hate you biggrin.gif. I wish I had an engine for my car hissyfit.gif

You know, I still have that 2.9 idea.gif

I'll pay you $5 for it...even though my wife would still want to kill me for buying another motor biggrin.gif Is damn tempting though...I guess I'd need to know how much, haha.
RiqueMar
Thanks!

Eventually, I'll do a new system, possibly using the same cooler (which is the stock cooler) at a sharper angle so that it may lay 'flatter', it's currently just over about 45 degrees. The benefit with this one for the time being is that the holes in the body do not have to be that large, so I can always go bigger with the shroud/cooler. Also, a big factor with this system is that it allows me plenty of room for the spare tire, fuel pump, and fuel filter.

The only thing still really pending on the cooling system is the interface with the fan. I'm not sure if I want to go with a manual switch, leave it powered the entire time, or go with the original setup that kicked the fan on at a specific oil temp. idea.gif

I suppose, most likely, I'll use the original setup and clean up the electronics a bit for the time being.

Got into the shop a little early today, so I had a bit of time to work on the lines from the thermostat to the cooler.

Click to view attachment
RiqueMar
Well, I suppose it's close enough for me to start thinking of driving?! driving.gif

Click to view attachment
AZ914
Bueno!

Dooood.. Two weeks!
mepstein
OK, I'll admit it. It took me a double take before I got the plate but I like it.
Cairo94507
RiqueMar- I appreciate that; but it will be a stock 3.2 when the time comes.

I have to find a way to get down to San Diego on business so I can stop by your shop and just stand around with my mouth hanging open as I turn green with jealousy.
Eric_Shea
Man... Your calipers look nice. Just say'n biggrin.gif
RiqueMar
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Mar 10 2012, 06:30 AM) *

RiqueMar- I appreciate that; but it will be a stock 3.2 when the time comes.

I have to find a way to get down to San Diego on business so I can stop by your shop and just stand around with my mouth hanging open as I turn green with jealousy.

.... I have one of those too, PM me if youre looking for one

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 10 2012, 07:47 AM) *

Man... Your calipers look nice. Just say'n biggrin.gif

Is is the part where you post photos?!?! biggrin.gif
RiqueMar
Eric texted me a photo of these babies headed my way this week... piratenanner.gif

Click to view attachment

RiqueMar
I was steaming right along trying to get ready for Route 66, working until about 12 each night. When I realized I couldn't go, I got a little de-motivated and ignored the car for a few days, but I'm over it and back on it.

Fuel lines are run and standardized, everything is -6 AN with bulkhead fittings in the tunnel. MAN was it a pain to connect up the fittings in the tunnel! Originally, the PO had cut a sort of 'plate' and just riveted it to the firewall from the engine bay side. Now, I have straight -6 bulkhead fittings going to a 90 degree adaptor that feeds then engine area fuel lines. For reference, the drivers side fuel 'port' is the IN line, and the passenger side is for return.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

RiqueMar
I ended up covering the backpad and floor under the seats with the same felt style material that's under the carpets, I figure if I ever want to do a driving event and run a set of MOMO seats I have, it'll look decent with the backpad out, and you wont see the shiny Fatmat material.

For the record, this really deadens the sound. If I recall correctly, the firewall/seat area now has rubberized undercoating outside and inside, paint, fatmat, felt, and carpet.

Click to view attachment

Interior going in, finally get to grab some stuff out of storage that I've been saving for years! Mostly interior items, but I think it's nice stuff.

Getty door panels, seats, interior trim that i find here and there and I've been saving.

Click to view attachment

effutuo101
Nice work. this is a great build and has given me idea's for mine.
RiqueMar
Long time no update, but business is really picking up, and I've been doing my best to keep on the car!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
RiqueMar
As for the car, I put on the brakes just today, the oil lines are hooked, and the electrical is just about there minus the fuel pump, I hope to crank it over soon!

Note to self: If you're struggling with putting a caliper on for more than 10 minutes, stop and check if you're putting the correct caliper on the correct side.... screwy.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
RiqueMar- Nice to see some progress photos; I have the exact same rear calipers courtesy of Eric. Mine are still in a real nice box though.

My car is now in VA to begin the process of restoration. Dr. Evil just completed my transaxle and it looks very nice and should shift like a dream. I had it converted to a side-shifter and it has all of the JWest shift rods, etc. and will have the JWest shifter too.

You still have that old 3.2 sitting around?
RiqueMar
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 30 2012, 05:56 AM) *

RiqueMar- Nice to see some progress photos; I have the exact same rear calipers courtesy of Eric. Mine are still in a real nice box though.

My car is now in VA to begin the process of restoration. Dr. Evil just completed my transaxle and it looks very nice and should shift like a dream. I had it converted to a side-shifter and it has all of the JWest shift rods, etc. and will have the JWest shifter too.

You still have that old 3.2 sitting around?

Yeah, I have the whole JWest setup as well, but when I made the switch to this 3.6 it already had the Wevo kit on it. I may end up just using the shifter or adapting the kit to work with the Wevo, but that's once I get it on the road.

I'm waiting on a shift bushing from Pelican, as my bonehead self installed the bushing before the linkage and I had to drill it out.... headbang.gif

Worst comes to worse, I'll put the whole system on the black car that this came off with my 2.9 and Side-shifter.

Yes I do have the engine still. PM me or email me, eallenmar@driveskills.com
RiqueMar
Got all the pipes, MAS, and hoses hooked up this weekend. I swear, everything just barely fits!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
RiqueMar
Also, made these 5mm spacers for my set of GT brakes, and had to grind off a bit of the suspension console.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
mepstein
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Jun 4 2012, 12:31 PM) *

Also, made these 5mm spacers for my set of GT brakes, and had to grind off a bit of the suspension console.

I thought the calipers where a no mod bolt on. why did you have to grind?
RiqueMar
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 4 2012, 10:10 AM) *

QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Jun 4 2012, 12:31 PM) *

I thought the calipers where a no mod bolt on. why did you have to grind?

My suspension was boxed/reinforced and some extra weld/paint/etc was there. I suppose it would fit, but it's much cleaner now with that amount of clearance. The small amount of grinding I did gives you that much more space making it easier to install and remove.

Eric said he did a thread on recommendations, but I'm having a bit of trouble finding it.
RiqueMar
pray.gif

RiqueMar
So, I've been a quite busy with work (starting a business is a bit hard, I've learned) and the 914 has taken a back seat.

As a side note, we are working on a charity benefit here in San Diego called Cruise 4 Kids (see C4Ksd.com for details). It's essentially a cruise and car show to benefit the Boys and Girls clubs of San Diego. As a sponsor of the event, we will be attending with 3 of our Formula1 simulators as well as our Safe Driving promotional trailer to benefit the California Highway Patrol.

As such, to highlight the CHP we've 'decked out' one of our company Ferrari's, a 360 Spyder Stradale, to be 'the ultimate patrol cruiser' and had a photoshoot last Sunday with it and other cars that will be attending. I can honestly say it was the favorite of the event. Although it's not done, when it's fully complete, we will have fitted a light bar, push bumper, and siren.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
mepstein
Your life must be hell. biggrin.gif
eric9144
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Jul 31 2012, 11:24 AM) *

So, I've been a quite busy with work (starting a business is a bit hard, I've learned)

lol-2.gif lol-2.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif

Enrique...how do you do it, poor guy...
RiqueMar
QUOTE(eric9144 @ Jul 31 2012, 12:57 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 31 2012, 11:29 AM) *

It's all for the Kids, I swear.
RiqueMar
Finally got around to -somewhat- working on the car. Finished the caliper conversion to the GT Calipers, and man am I happy with the result. Shiny calipers, new brake lines, good looking setup, and huge rotors. The spacers I placed under the rotor hats really evened everything out and the rotor is perfectly inside that brake caliper.

Before I added the spacer, this is basically what I was dealing with. The back end of the larger rotor, used for the GT brakes, was hitting the mounting 'ears' for the brake caliper. Per Eric Sheas instructions, you may have to space the caliper back 3-5mm OR space the rotor forward 3-5mm. At first, I wanted to space it back, but found this to be easier as we already had the machining program from converting 4lug rotors to 5 lug as well as the spacers I'm making for each wheel (more on that later).

Click to view attachment

Once I had the spacer I made sure it fit the 5-lug pattern and would fit under the rotor, I took this picture to try to illustrate how it sits under the rotor, if my explanation above was at all lacking.

Click to view attachment

From there all you do is place it on the hub, then place the rotor, install your screws (if you like, or don't as you'll have the lugs on there anyway) and install the brakes as you normally would. Shazaam, you have GT Brakes.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
tscrihfield
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Jul 31 2012, 08:22 PM) *

QUOTE(eric9144 @ Jul 31 2012, 12:57 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 31 2012, 11:29 AM) *

It's all for the Kids, I swear.

Well I consider myself a kid... Now can I go motorboat and claim innocence? confused24.gif drooley.gif
mepstein
Well... ?
eric9144
agree.gif WTF.gif poke.gif
RiqueMar
QUOTE(eric9144 @ Jan 5 2013, 12:33 PM) *

agree.gif WTF.gif poke.gif

I've been totally lacking on progress threads, sorry guys. A little backround as I update...

The C4K Charity event went off great. 125 cars, models, our racing simulators, and music. Everything from Porsche, to Ferrari, to Bugatti. Just awesome, and an awesome highlight for the company.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
RiqueMar
After the Cruise 4 Kids event, we were proud to install in K1Speed - San Francisco what I think is the most beautiful sim we've produced to date. A life sized 'tribute' to the Red Bull Racing F1 Car, our VMC-Champion....

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
RiqueMar
Right after the Red Bull Simulator installation, it was off to Texas for the F1 race @ COTA. If you have a chance to go, I cannot recommend the event enough. Everything was great, from the musical performances, to fanfest, to the City of Austin it really is a great event to do. Should you get tickets, I can't imagine a better seat than the Turn 12/Turn 14, as you get to see the cars as they exit the DRS zone at maximum speed, and work their way through a set of 4 turns. I've included a pic of the winning pass that happened right infront of us! Turn 11/10 is also great. I wouldn't recommend Turn 1, we had a second set of tickets as we where with customers, and though you get to see the start/finish and the first uphill turn, there isn't much more to see...

Oh, and bring sunscreen! It's cold when the wind is blowing, but hot when it isnt! My arms found out the hard way!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
RiqueMar
Finally, my last bit of 'social updating' before I get back on track with the car, I bought a certified 'car hauler'. I picked it mostly because the flairs match the 914, as well as the blacked out wheels! I'll be honest, I was trying to play it cool in looking for a new car, but as soon as I saw it, I knew I had to have it. I've had it about 6 weeks now, and I love it! So awesome, cool and comfortable! It handles the beach, downtown, or the mountains equally well, and in my opinion, looks good dirty OR clean. Loved taking it out, and also, going up to the mountains the week after I got it.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
RiqueMar
Now, onto the important stuff, the 914.

My last biggest obstacle is an important one; finishing up the wiring, cleaning it, organizing, and getting all the components to run correctly. Everything worked with the last owner, but I think it can be done better, so I've focused on installing a remote fuse location on the front trunk wall that leads to the oil cooler fan, fuel pump, and (leaving a few open) an amplifier if I choose to go that route. A little extra work, but I think in the end it will be worth it.

This weekend, I'm installing all new fittings on the oil lines I installed and in some cases, driving larger holes in the sheet metal for rubber isolator grommets. I sort of rushed through this part before, and not only was I not happy with the result, it was dangerous as these are fuel lines we are talking about...

Click to view attachment

AZ914
welcome.png
biggrin.gif
RiqueMar
QUOTE(AZ914 @ Feb 15 2013, 02:04 PM) *

welcome.png
biggrin.gif

I'm not gonna lie, I totally deserve that, AZ. My last post was Aug 1st, fail.
RiqueMar
Aaaaand it's August first again. It's been a bit of a busy year, and the 914 has been nearly untouched. Though I havent done much I'm the car, I'm posting and reading threads in an attempt to get motivated!

Click to view attachmentIt's been a bit of a busy year, and the 914 has been nearly untouched. Getting back on-track, I've moved the 914 to one of our newest buildings and have begun the process of reorganizing.

After inventory, The main areas I have to focus on are the following:

- Wiring
- Brain
- Dash Harness
- /6 Steering column/switches

Interior
- Seats
- Dash covering
- Gauges
- Windscreens

- Misc. Items
- Door handles
- Trim
- Hoods
- Bumpers

Looking at it, it's really not that much.... atleast that's what I keep telling myself blink.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
mepstein
Glad to see you back. I call dibs on the other orange six.
Cairo94507
It is about time that you came to your senses. Nice to see you back on track. I look forward to seeing your car move along. Welcome home.
76-914
We were about to send the dogs out to look for ya. Ron said that you went to stromberg.gif and the Hogs gotcha. av-943.gif
RiqueMar
Thanks for the 'Welcome Words' guys. I hope to have the car on the road soon, and move on to make it perfect while driving!

As for now, I'm asking for a bit of help from those more experienced thank I with the 964 engine. With the last owner, everything functioned, but I still feel there are loose ends. As we are wrapping up the wiring and turning things on and off, I want to make sure I'm making all the right moves in regards to the engine and ECU.

Primarily, I'm concerned with the large amount of disconnected leads and connectors as well as the pin out. While I have the pin out for the main 55-Pin connector to the ECU, I don't know if there is a corresponding diagram/list/etc that shows the routing of the leads.

For the other 3.6 guys out there, any information/diagrams/notes/etc really helps if you can spare them! I'm still gathering information and reading other users progress threads, but would really appreciate a 'heads up'.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
mepstein
betty914.jpg
mepstein
poke.gif
76-914
He hasn't been on this site in a few years. I heard he sold it to a guy who put a Subaru 6 in it. stirthepot.gif
Cairo94507
Yeah, I was enjoying their cars and miss his postings.
RiqueMar
Hey guys, long time no post!

I garaged this project a few years back, but hopping back on it. Either looking to complete it myself, or send it to various other builders to 'Finish her off'. Hope to be updating this today / tomorrow.

Not much has changed, just work and starting a business got in the way. This car is so close to being complete, it literally hurts to look at it. I feel like if I can just get it fired up, switches and electronics working, it will be on the road in a matter of weeks. Let's see!

mepstein
Holy shit stranger.
Send it off? With your families shop? Well, what ever it takes.. Good to have you back!
RiqueMar

Click to view attachment

True, I do have the entire shop, but I think this calls for an experts touch. As passionate as I am, I can really screw up that 3.6 sheeplove.gif
RiqueMar
Hi guys, writing this blog entry in hope to get some motivation to keep continuing on the project.

The car was sidelined once again last year, and I was resolved to have it finished by a professional shop. I originally took it to CPR in Fallbrook, CA to have them look at what needed to be done. I'm sad to say I wasn't very impressed with their previous work, but much less so with their communication, sales team, and customer interaction. After about 6 weeks of stalling, missed emails, etc. I was finally able to recoup the car.

After that incident, both my Dad and I are determined to get this up and running over the next few weeks. After about a month of reorganizing, finding parts etc, we got to work last weekend and put in a good 8 hours on the biggest of the tasks, electrical.

Really proud at how this is coming together, and as well as amazed how easy it is when you have two people who know these cars very intimately. In the course of a day, we were able to have the headlights, turn signals, hazards, and starter working. It's pretty cool to hear it turn once again with the high-torque starter, I had forgotten how that sounds.

In addition, we decided to nix the idea of having the ECU in the back, and have begun relocating it to the cab below the seats (expecting the passenger seat, but any input would be appreciated).

Going back to his ranch today, and hope to finish where we left off last week, connecting the aux oil cooler and relay, fuel pump relay, and begin reconstructing the harness with the dash loosely mounted.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.