Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My Official Project thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
rwilner
Do you have a pic of where the lines pass into the front wheel well and enter the front trunk? I ask because I'm planning a similar route for my lines -- all flex hose.
thx
Rich
RiqueMar
QUOTE(rwilner @ Feb 15 2012, 07:57 AM) *

Do you have a pic of where the lines pass into the front wheel well and enter the front trunk? I ask because I'm planning a similar route for my lines -- all flex hose.
thx
Rich

Hey Rich, I'm not quite there yet, my biggest concern right now is routing the lines in the Pass. side longs, and in the engine bay. I'm still waiting on my oil cooler, so I'm thinking I'll tackle that end of this week/early next week.

I'm still not quite sure how I'm going to route the lines inside the wheel well, as I like my car really low (occupational hazard of being Mexican). I'll have to check out how others have done it, but I believe they go along the side of the wheel well, or inside the cabin (slightly) and through the gas tank area.

AZ:

Most definitely. I'm going to try to get out to a supplier today and see what they have. At a minimum, I figure I'll need 3-4 2x adel clamps and need to fab up a sort of bracket to hold the Carrera thermostat. I don't believe the 911's needed them, as they used hard lines.

Work, work, work for Route 66! smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif
RiqueMar
3.6 Guys, here's a question for you.... Do I need to trim down the fins on the valve covers like I did on my last engine? WTF.gif
eric9144
You just pulled it out of the black 914 so wouldn't it have already been done if that was the case? confused24.gif
RiqueMar
QUOTE(eric9144 @ Feb 16 2012, 07:14 AM) *

You just pulled it out of the black 914 so wouldn't it have already been done if that was the case? confused24.gif

When I pulled it out of the black car, it had only been in there a short while and I don't think the PO had yet to do a valve job. It'll fit without the fins shaved down, I just think it makes it that much more a pain in the ass.

I've searched a few threads but either can't come up with anything, or have over-looked it.

Wait a minute.... Eric? What are you doing up so early?!
jcambo7
Just get 'er done already! poke.gif popcorn[1].gif
mepstein
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Feb 16 2012, 10:48 AM) *

QUOTE(eric9144 @ Feb 16 2012, 07:14 AM) *

When I pulled it out of the black car, it had only been in there a short while and I don't think the PO had yet to do a valve job. It'll fit without the fins shaved down, I just think it makes it that much more a pain in the ass.

I've searched a few threads but either can't come up with anything, or have over-looked it.

Wait a minute.... Eric? What are you doing up so early?!

I would do it now. Won't be any easier later.
RiqueMar
QUOTE(jcambo7 @ Feb 16 2012, 08:00 AM) *

No way... this project thread needs to make it to atleast 40 pages!
JFJ914
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Feb 16 2012, 10:05 AM) *

3.6 Guys, here's a question for you.... Do I need to trim down the fins on the valve covers like I did on my last engine? WTF.gif

Doesn't the 3.6 have hydraulic lifters? If so you wouldn't be removing them for adjustment.
jcambo7
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Feb 16 2012, 11:26 AM) *

QUOTE(jcambo7 @ Feb 16 2012, 08:00 AM) *

No way... this project thread needs to make it to atleast 40 pages!

av-943.gif
RiqueMar
Oil lines pretty much run, however, my only concern now is how to run them in the front wheel well. I'm super paranoid about the wheel hitting and digging into the lines, so I think I'm going to run them in the gas tank area and through the front firewall.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
RiqueMar
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
AZ914
I'd definitely secure them in the well.. I know there are lots of pictures out there.. maybe SirAndy's ?
mepstein
Enrique - Are you still using the oem firewall mount for the 3.6?
RiqueMar
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 21 2012, 11:15 AM) *

Enrique - Are you still using the oem firewall mount for the 3.6?

Yes, I've rewelded the hell out of it, top and bottom as well as the center hole. I also think I'm going to add two bolts through the center of it, just in case.
EdArango
Enrique.... Car is looking great!
RiqueMar
QUOTE(EdArango @ Feb 21 2012, 07:28 PM) *

Thanks Ed, stop by anytime if you like!

Late night build question for anyone still up; Can I use an early fan pulley system on the 3.6? The Clewett Engineering serpentine belt wont fit inside my stock motor mount. dry.gif

Click to view attachment
RiqueMar
Well.... The issue of 'how do I route these oil lines' is pretty much solved.....

sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

RiqueMar
Click to view attachment
mepstein
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Feb 21 2012, 11:38 PM) *

Late night build question for anyone still up; Can I use an early fan pulley system on the 3.6? The Clewett Engineering serpentine belt wont fit inside my stock motor mount. dry.gif

I was sort of wondering about the oem mount...

If you use the early fan, will the alternator have enough umph for the dual plugs? I guess now you have to go BIG on the front cooler since it's the only one.

Maybe the Ferrari engine will fit laugh.gif
RiqueMar
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 22 2012, 03:40 AM) *

If you use the early fan, will the alternator have enough umph for the dual plugs? I guess now you have to go BIG on the front cooler since it's the only one.

I was probably explaining my problem wrong, but I'm not looking to use the early fan, but rather just the pulley system that goes from the crank to the fan OR I need to get my hands on a stock crank pulley and take it down on the lathe.

hissyfit.gif hissyfit.gif hissyfit.gif hissyfit.gif hissyfit.gif hissyfit.gif hissyfit.gif hissyfit.gif hissyfit.gif
JmuRiz
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Feb 21 2012, 08:38 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Not sure if it's just the near/far perspective, but that new 3.6 looks huge next to your old engine.

BTW what was the base for the old motor and what size is it?
mepstein
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Feb 22 2012, 10:09 AM) *

I was probably explaining my problem wrong, but I'm not looking to use the early fan, but rather just the pulley system that goes from the crank to the fan OR I need to get my hands on a stock crank pulley and take it down on the lathe.

hissyfit.gif hissyfit.gif hissyfit.gif hissyfit.gif hissyfit.gif hissyfit.gif hissyfit.gif hissyfit.gif hissyfit.gif

You seem to have some pretty intelligent family members that could probably steer you right....
RiqueMar
Working on the fuel system today.... What a pain in the ass these bulkhead fittings inside the tunnel are the biggest pain in the ass to connect.

Click to view attachment
RiqueMar
I never really liked the stock mount for the Mocal oil thermostat, apparently my Grandfather overhead this and surprised me with this!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 22 2012, 10:33 AM) *

QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Feb 22 2012, 10:09 AM) *

You seem to have some pretty intelligent family members that could probably steer you right....

And $$ ones! smile.gif
Socalandy
Looks great and your getting close to the finish line!!
RiqueMar
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Feb 23 2012, 06:22 PM) *

Looks great and your getting close to the finish line!!

Thanks Andy! I cannot wait to see that 3.0 twin plug! What color are you thinking?

Will I see you at Route 66?

Socalandy
Original Canary Yellow

not looking good for RT66 at the moment sad.gif
RiqueMar
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Feb 23 2012, 05:24 PM) *

And $$ ones! smile.gif

We all work really hard, and love cars. All cars.
RiqueMar
Small speedbump in the way of getting the engine in the car.

As you may recall, this engine has the Clewett Engineering Serpentine belt system installed, great system- I love it. However, the system will not clear the engine mount (engine side) on the OEM /6 engine support. It still needs about 1/2 an inch before it presses flush against the engine.

After looking at a few options, we've decided to cut the support lip on the mount, and re-weld it approximately 1 inch closer to the firewall, giving both enough room to run the Clewett pulley system AND replace a belt inside the car while still maintaining the 'box' structure on the mount that gives it so much strength.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
AZ914
Nice!!
RiqueMar
Thanks Jason! Working on it... sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif

Initial plasma cut done courtesy of my Father. Now I'll be cleaning this up, grinding down the edges, and re-welding the top support and possibly two 'fins' to give it additional strength. It's still very strong, but I rather be over-kill than iffy.

Click to view attachment
SLITS
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Feb 28 2012, 02:37 PM) *

and re-welding the top support and possibly two 'fins' to give it additional strength.

Click to view attachment

They're called "gussets".
sixnotfour
That was a waist of oem in my opinion, I would have traded any aftermarket mount for the factory set up,

Carpenters rules ...measure twice cut once...........
RiqueMar
QUOTE(SLITS @ Feb 28 2012, 06:31 PM) *

They're called "gussets".

Is this the part where I get a kick in the butt, Ron?

Gussets..... Chalon..... Shalom

bootyshake.gif
Socalandy
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Feb 28 2012, 06:43 PM) *

That was a waist of oem in my opinion, I would have traded any aftermarket mount for the factory set up,

agree.gif Those nose cones are like Gold to -6 owners sad.gif
RiqueMar
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Feb 29 2012, 05:40 PM) *

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Feb 28 2012, 06:43 PM) *

agree.gif Those nose cones are like Gold to -6 owners sad.gif

I hope it's not too much of a Porsche heresy, but I think it's a cool mod and the mount was already welded on there from my 2.9 project.

I hope to 'make up for it' with the overall quality of my build, and I hope it reflects that. Also, I like that I'm able to run the Clewett system with the stock mount and that my Father, Grandfather, and myself worked to make it happen.
Socalandy
it takes nothing away from what you've done or will do to finish it and its a great project. Just a very rare part. I've always said... your car your way!!

Keep it up and I cant wait to see it in person!!
RiqueMar
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Feb 29 2012, 07:01 PM) *

it takes nothing away from what you've done or will do to finish it and its a great project. Just a very rare part. I've always said... your car your way!!

Thanks Andy! Great to hear that from you! And I totally agree, parts are to be used.

Cannot wait until that 3.0 twin plug of yours is done.... just.... ugh! drooley.gif
RiqueMar
Friday night.... again.... and here I am with a file trying to get a super nice radius on a part no one is ever going to see.....

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
sixnotfour

Its all Good , Looks great
Cairo94507
Nice job. I understand people's grimace when you cut the original mount though. But it is your car and that is water under the bridge. I like the work you are doing on this car and look forward to seeing the engine in the car.
RiqueMar
This is now the third fourth engine this car has had since I've owned it.... and I still have yet to drive it dry.gif

Fits like a glove though! biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
RiqueMar
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
mepstein
Are you going to reinforce the body around the cut-outs?
Cairo94507
RiqueMar - I hate you biggrin.gif. I wish I had an engine for my car hissyfit.gif
RiqueMar
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 9 2012, 05:49 AM) *

Yes, we have a 'fiberglass modeler' on staff who's really good. I'm thinking a nice one-piece 'ring' of carbon fiber around the entire cutout that will tie the oil cooler into the body in addition to the bolts on the bottom

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Mar 9 2012, 06:05 AM) *

RiqueMar - I hate you biggrin.gif. I wish I had an engine for my car hissyfit.gif

You know, I still have that 2.9 idea.gif
mepstein
[quote name='RiqueMar' date='Mar 9 2012, 10:16 AM' post='1642042']
[quote name='mepstein' post='1641989' date='Mar 9 2012, 05:49 AM']
[/quote]

Yes, we have a 'fiberglass modeler' on staff who's really good. I'm thinking a nice one-piece 'ring' of carbon fiber around the entire cutout that will tie the oil cooler into the body in addition to the bolts on the bottom

Nice!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.