Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My Official Project thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
RiqueMar
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Jul 28 2009, 09:19 PM) *

Started painting the brake calipers, decided on Red. Pics to come.

Partially painted brakes. Started off with a small brush to get the difficult areas. Will finish the bottom and inside today, and probably give everything a second coat.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
Twise
Looking forward to seeing your car next to mine at the SoCal BBQ - You think your gonna make it?

IPB Image
RiqueMar
QUOTE(Twise @ Jul 29 2009, 11:19 AM) *

Looking forward to seeing your car next to mine at the SoCal BBQ - You think your gonna make it?

IPB Image

I'm really really trying. If anything, I'll tow it out!
6freak
Look`n good man keep plug`n away gonna be super nice when done
RiqueMar
QUOTE(6freak @ Jul 29 2009, 12:01 PM) *

Look`n good man keep plug`n away gonna be super nice when done

Thanks! Thats really appreciated coming from a guy with a car as nice as yours, hope I can be comparable to it someday.

New parts just arrived! Front Wheel clamp nuts and thrust washers. These are needed when upgrading your front suspension to type 911. I was trying to make the ones off a conversion work, but they are not the right size. Don't not make my mistake!!!

IPB Image

Also got in 2 Caliper rebuild kits for my rear brakes.
RiqueMar
Just picked these up at a secret rendezvous. I guess they will due....

IPB Image
IPB Image

Also, this diamond plate material is going to be the 'floor' for my battery tray...

IPB Image
MDG
I know a lot of guys swear by Koni shocks; I have Bilstein on all four corners too - Love 'em!

It's all looking great
RiqueMar
Rears are on....

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
RiqueMar
Hubs on, along with Bilstein front struts, mounting and all ready to go for rubber....

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
RiqueMar
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
RiqueMar
And we are on wheels!

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
RiqueMar
Thought this was a cool picture...

IPB Image
Derek Seymour
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Jul 29 2009, 09:00 PM) *

Rears are on....

IPB Image

Looking great.... but don't forget to zip tie the springs and perches together.
Sleepin
Red Rocks... biggrin.gif
RiqueMar
More stuff has come in!

IPB Image
RiqueMar
Sorry there haven't been pics for a few days, but I have been working.

Saturday: Went to get a bolt for the front tie rods. Ended up scoring a set of Turbo tie rods for 75 bucks!

Sunday: Got all the wheels on and checked the suspension. It is REALLY stiff.

Monday: Since we are moving the shop, we had to trailer the car to the new place (only about a mile)

Oh, BTW, ignore the upside-down front turn signal. I put the lens on before I put it on the car.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
RiqueMar
Ok, so it's been the better part of a month, and I havent posted anything.

I know, I know poke.gif

Ok, so here we go, I plan to have the wiring done by this weekend or so, while still making time to go to the BBQ in Escondido. Anyone else going?

Tonight, we identified and seperated most of the wires and I cleaned up the overspray. We also connected up the rear tail lights.

Tomorrow, we are getting my battery, as well as new battery cables and plastic wire wraps.

Just one picture for right now, and that is my Dad doing an inventory of what we need to finish up the wiring.
IPB Image

On another note, Dads excited to finally have his 328 prepped and sent off. This was about a week ago, so we expect it back tomorrow.
IPB Image
RiqueMar
Havent updated in a few days, but I HAVE been working.

Some pics now and later (for all of you in your offices)

WIRES! WIRES!

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
RiqueMar
Optima Batt.

IPB Image
IPB Image

Also took apart this old thing. Cleaned and painted it.

IPB Image
IPB Image

Thought this was a cool picture of my Dads 328 and the 914

IPB Image
RiqueMar
A pictures of my elegant list making for wiring. This is for the plug that connects to the steering wheel....

More to come in the next few hours, have to upload them and the iPhone is dead at the moment.

IPB Image
RiqueMar
I decided I didnt like the look of the basic plastic sheathing that originally came on the car so I updated it with this newer type that coiles and comes off and on easier.

IPB Image

Had to go with a bigger size in the tunnel....

IPB Image

It was not fun to get that oold plastic off as it's really hard and thick....

IPB Image

Also, the accel./clutch/brake cables are coming out and gettting replaced with all new ones....

IPB Image
RiqueMar
Some pics from this last week.

Big thanks to my Dad for helping me with the wiring.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

BTW, I'm replacing ALL the wiring sheathing.

IPB Image

And as you may know, Football season started again, so of course, a Plasma went up in the new shop. Joe took full advantage of it.

IPB Image
IPB Image

Lastly, we decided to go with conectors for the horn and fog lights.

IPB Image

RiqueMar
Found a pump for the windshield wipers

IPB Image

I'll be using the three small VDO gauges (Volts, Clock, Head temp) in my new center divider. I like this one I found (minus the wood and switches) which I'll probably replace with black gelcoat.

IPB Image
IPB Image

Stainless steel brake lines!
IPB Image
RiqueMar

New headlamps. Although these wont do, becfause they don't fit. H4's instead.

IPB Image

We 'transported' the 76' to the new shop...

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Hoods on the car for the first time....
IPB Image
RiqueMar
Engine work starts today.
RiqueMar
Some pics of my engine as of today....

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Also, we picked up a 75 that had a Ferrari Dino body kit on it (bought it for the molds, it will become a simulator) and I pulled the 1.8 out of it. Need a 1.8? Check in the classifieds or PM me...

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
RiqueMar
Engine assembled yesterday!!!

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
nomore9one4
Your project is coming along nicely. With all that work I guess you did not have time to start on the T-Bird yet?
RiqueMar
QUOTE(faux916 @ Oct 12 2009, 08:46 PM) *

Your project is coming along nicely. With all that work I guess you did not have time to start on the T-Bird yet?

I did a very small amount of work on the Thunder Chicken.

Took off all the trim and got rid of the mold/rust underneath.
Rebuilt the carb.
Got the trunk open and resprayed inside (where my Grandfather left fertilizer).
Got all the lights working.

To me, the tbird is secondary. I want to get the 914 done so I can drive and finish it. THe Bird is going to need alot of love, probably in the form of media blasting. welder.gif
nomore9one4
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Oct 13 2009, 09:38 AM) *

QUOTE(faux916 @ Oct 12 2009, 08:46 PM) *

I did a very small amount of work on the Thunder Chicken.

Took off all the trim and got rid of the mold/rust underneath.
Rebuilt the carb.
Got the trunk open and resprayed inside (where my Grandfather left fertilizer).
Got all the lights working.

To me, the tbird is secondary. I want to get the 914 done so I can drive and finish it. THe Bird is going to need alot of love, probably in the form of media blasting. welder.gif

Thanks for the update. Please add some photos when you have time. We have an all original baby blue '63 in storage beggin to be tubbed. I would add a photo but I lost a hard drive a few weeks ago and there ain't no more driving.gif
RiqueMar
I think I have a pic or two off hand from the show I took it to. It was so nice, they put me in the display area! Sweeet! icon_bump.gif

Anyway, heat exchangers. Grabbed them from the other shop yesterday evening when I took my cousin to her citizenship class. They where pretty shotty to begin with....

IPB Image
IPB Image

Threw them in the sandblaster, but the rust was really tough, I was worried for a second, and also, the blaster was kinda loosing power, so I had to grind about half of each....

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Turns out they weren't bad at all, thank God! biggrin.gif Painted them with high temp, and I think they look pretty good, no?

IPB Image
IPB Image
RiqueMar
Didn't get really anything done on the car today, as we went to K1Speed for a little indoor Karting! Pics to come!!! driving.gif
RiqueMar
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Oct 15 2009, 01:01 AM) *

Didn't get really anything done on the car today, as we went to K1Speed for a little indoor Karting! Pics to come!!! driving.gif

Some pictures from yesterday, my Dad won 2nd Place!

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
RiqueMar
Also, thanks to siverson for the deal on the Magnaflow Muffler, it will be loved.

IPB Image
IPB Image
jcambo7
popcorn[1].gif You car is coming along very nicely riquemar. Very nice job.
RiqueMar
QUOTE(jcambo7 @ Oct 15 2009, 07:43 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif You car is coming along very nicely riquemar. Very nice job.

Thanks man! And thanks for commenting, it really is motivation when I get input from others, because this is my first build.

Today, after I got the Magnaflow, I ran out to San Marcos to VW Paradise and grabbed a little bling for the engine as well as some stuff to help me assemble the Heat Exchangers this weekend. By this weekend, I plan to have the exhaust and engine done together, as well as carbs on the car....

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
RiqueMar
Had a rather large shopping list this weekend that got larger when I went to Paradise VW... "Oh! I'll need that!.... and that.... and that.... Oh! This is on sale!?"

$427 bucks later......

IPB Image

RiqueMar
Heat exchanger assembly..... Much easier instead of doing it vertically.

IPB Image

Also, engine is complete with trans. We tried starting it, but the starter is worn. No worries, I have 2 more though....

IPB Image

IPB Image
Rand
Very exciting! Git some air cleaners on there. What's the break-in plan?
RiqueMar
QUOTE(Rand @ Oct 20 2009, 11:52 PM) *

Very exciting! Git some air cleaners on there. What's the break-in plan?

Oh, for sure. I already have them and they will go on tonight. I had some sparks coming from the bottom, where the transmission meets the engine, anyone have an idea what this is from? I'm thinking I did something wrong with the throwout bearing?

As for break in, a few weeks ago at the German Auto Fest, we bought a magnetic filter to take care of all those metal shards.
RiqueMar
Space is prepped.....

IPB Image

Car is up!

IPB Image
IPB Image

Engine is in place....

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

My Dad and I placing it (I'm on the left, Dad on right).....

IPB Image

It's in!!!! drunk.gif piratenanner.gif beerchug.gif cheer.gif flag.gif aktion035.gif smash.gif smilie_pokal.gif

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Fitting for 48's????? pray.gif
IPB Image

Now the car sits approx where I want it to be....

IPB Image

RiqueMar
New location of the fuel pump....

IPB Image
IPB Image
MDG
Congratulations!!!! smilie_pokal.gif

Oh, and color me purple with envy on that fringed doily thing hanging out of your trunk.

always wanted one of those . . . .
RiqueMar
QUOTE(MDG @ Nov 9 2009, 09:01 AM) *

always wanted one of those . . . .

That didnt make sense until I read that you're from Toronto..... KMA.gif

Kidding, kidding. All in good fun.
dakotaewing
I am not a type IV expert by anyone's standards, but I was wondering how big your motor was...? 48 IDA's tend to be way too big for most applications, causing flooding, running rich, backfires, etc.

Just a thought...
MDG
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Nov 9 2009, 02:22 PM) *

That didnt make sense until I read that you're from Toronto..... KMA.gif

dry.gif

It's looking great - can't wait to see pics of it under it's own power.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(dakotaewing @ Nov 9 2009, 01:37 PM) *

I am not a type IV expert by anyone's standards, but I was wondering how big your motor was...? 48 IDA's tend to be way too big for most applications, causing flooding, running rich, backfires, etc.

Just a thought...

agree.gif it looks great, Congrats!! driving.gif smilie_pokal.gif

but 48s? holy-exxon I think most of jakes 2.4s are using 44s! 48s are fckin huge. tell us about the engine! aktion035.gif
Van
Will that fuel pump move enough fuel for those carbs?

Awesome build - I just read your thread from start to finish!
RiqueMar
In response to your questions on the 48s, without getting too technical, it all has to do with the venturi size, emmulsion tubes, and the primary jets.

..... This all equals a good running engine with that uncomparable IDA woot sound.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.