Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My 914-6 project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23
Johny Blackstain
pray.gif drooley.gif popcorn[1].gif beer.gif
Socalandy
I've been busy but getting interior things done over the last week. This week the engine will be fired up and take this thing for its first drive in over 20 years driving.gif
Socalandy
I went with German Velour carpet. Got the dash close to finished but need the correct radio bezel for my Motorola.
Socalandy
and got my Hella H4's in. More in a few days with video of the firing piratenanner.gif
siverson
Looks great.

Do you know if that yellow fog light switch is the original? I thought the earlier cars (including all sixes) had the green emblem for that switch.

-Steve
Socalandy
Thanks, I have the green center for it. The only fog light switches I own have the amber centers.

What am I missing to install these? they have a thin channel on the back side that have glue in them. Thanks in advance!!!
Luke M
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Mar 30 2014, 08:54 PM) *

Thanks, I have the green center for it. The only fog light switches I own have the amber centers.

What am I missing to install these? they have a thin channel on the back side that have glue in them. Thanks in advance!!!

Hi Andy,

The car looks great. The trim pieces slide into a channel on the dash tins.
I'm not sure if they are installed per your pic. I'll add a few pics of mine so you know what they look like. You can just make out the channel in the tins in my pics.
sbsix
Andy, my column trim pieces are held in by friction in the small channels in the dash plate. No glue. They can be a witch to get in properly with the dash front material in place.
Mr.242
I'm liking what you've done! Nice looking project. You should be proud.
Socalandy
QUOTE(Luke M @ Mar 31 2014, 04:35 AM) *

QUOTE(Socalandy @ Mar 30 2014, 08:54 PM) *

Hi Andy,

The car looks great. The trim pieces slide into a channel on the dash tins.
I'm not sure if they are installed per your pic. I'll add a few pics of mine so you know what they look like. You can just make out the channel in the tins in my pics.

That's what I'm missing. the car came with 1/8in veneered ply on the dash face and glued the the trim pieces on to the plywood so my guess is they tossed them. Sent you a PM in hopes for some templates pray.gif another 914 lesson learned and to un-do all that work to do it right av-943.gif blink.gif

Experts... I didn't run into this with my 72, is this an early car thing or -6 specific?
Luke M
Andy,

I sent you a pm on the tins.
Here's a few more pics of the raised portion that I spoke about.
Sleepin
popcorn[1].gif
ConeDodger
Curse you Andy!!! dry.gif I always thought my car was really nice. You have moved the right side of the continuum so far off that a lot of guys with 'average' cars now have parts cars!
MoveQik
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 3 2014, 12:51 PM) *

Curse you Andy!!! dry.gif I always thought my car was really nice. You have moved the right side of the continuum so far off that a lot of guys with 'average' cars now have parts cars!

That ain't no lie. This level of restoration can only be claimed by a handful full of 911's...let alone our lowly 914's. Beautiful! beerchug.gif
Sleepin
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Apr 3 2014, 02:17 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 3 2014, 12:51 PM) *

That ain't no lie. This level of restoration can only be claimed by a handful full of 911's...let alone our lowly 914's. Beautiful! beerchug.gif

Well send me your parts car Wills...I will try to make something presentable out of it...
veekry9
Wow.
That is the result of meticulous labour!
So fine a swabbie would be proud.
This presents a problem,how can I approach such a standard with my own 14?
I feel humbled knowing that so much more work is on the horizon.
Press on regardless.
Scrape,grind,...
Sleepin
Hey Andy! You can't just pop on here and say it will be running and driving in a couple days then disappear for a couple weeks.... poke.gif
Socalandy
Sorry,

Having what we believe is relay board issues. had a conversation with Mr. Hines and may be on the right track pray.gif . hope to get on it tonight after work.
r_towle
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 3 2014, 03:51 PM) *

no kidding.
Sleepin
Like I said...I have a standing offer of $500 each for each of your "parts cars". biggrin.gif
Socalandy
Well the car is no longer a static model. looks like some traces on the relay board got hot at some point in its life. The outboard fuse tabs are very soft but after some tweeking we got power to the CDI connector and turned the key today piratenanner.gif Still needs some tuning and sync the carbs but it so close to a drive around the block driving.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzbKwAjmd2o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zHyES2JaO4
rick 918-S
Listened with head phones. EDIT: Sweet!
Chris H.
smilie_pokal.gif
Cairo94507
WOW! That is outstanding. piratenanner.gif
Socalandy
Thanks Guy's

Pinch me.... Huge milestone and my headphones makes it sound like like your there, Over and over.....

Should get it tuned today and clean up the harness before we make some tire smoke beerchug.gif
JRust
Andy pray.gif

Absolutely killer bud! So good to see that motor running. Can't wait for the next video of you driving.gif . Projects this big seem to never have an end in sight. You must be smiling from ear to ear. Are you going to bring it to Tahoe next month for WCR?
sbsix
Can't touch that sound. Thanks for sharing..made my morning.
Socalandy
QUOTE(JRust @ Apr 17 2014, 08:27 AM) *

Andy pray.gif

Absolutely killer bud! So good to see that motor running. Can't wait for the next video of you driving.gif . Projects this big seem to never have an end in sight. You must be smiling from ear to ear. Are you going to bring it to Tahoe next month for WCR?

I'm slammed for May sad.gif The car was invited to Monterey so that's my focus right now.
2mAn
congrats on getting it running.
pete000
Nothing beats the sound of a 914-6 with a sport pipe !
CptTripps
smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

(6 of em')
Socalandy
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 17 2014, 05:33 AM) *

Listened with head phones. Sweat!

Yes Rick, Sweat went into it but how does is sound biggrin.gif I cant get enough of that sound and why I'm not installing a stereo will go in the car.
Sleepin
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Apr 17 2014, 09:41 AM) *

The car was invited to Monterey so that's my focus right now.

Monterey blows RRC out of the water.... dry.gif lol-2.gif
Socalandy
I never said I was missing RRC!!! I'm planning on it driving.gif
Ferg
That Sound !! wub.gif

Congrats man. Unreal accomplishment! smilie_pokal.gif
Qarl
Incredible

piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif
Andy,
Congratulations...Really nice build.. smilie_pokal.gif

QUOTE(Socalandy @ Apr 16 2014, 11:04 PM) *

Well the car is no longer a static model. looks like some traces on the relay board got hot at some point in its life. The outboard fuse tabs are very soft but after some tweeking we got power to the CDI connector and turned the key today piratenanner.gif Still needs some tuning and sync the carbs but it so close to a drive around the block driving.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzbKwAjmd2o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zHyES2JaO4

Socalandy
Well the tuning is done adding a few more deg. of timing and I drove the car driving.gif and it's amazing!!! Pulls like crazy and feels so planted not to mention the SOUND wub.gif

I now know why many have raved about a 901 build by Thomas, The shifting was tight and smooth pray.gif I'm on a high like no other and charging my GoPro for tomorrow to post some video. cant wait!!! Still have a few electrical issues but nothing big. Dead short in the wiper motor and turn signal issues.
Mike Bellis
Andy,

Your build is awesome! I can hardly wait to see it in person. Congrats on reaching this milestone.
quadracerx
Beautiful... That thing is a work of art! After looking at the last few pages and the photos.... Is your trans painted or powder coated?

Have you got some miles on it yet? Curious if you notice any issues with a painted/coated trans with regard to heat?

Thanks man, your car sounds awesome too..

Steve
bcheney
Andy you have produced a real GEM. Attention to detail, creativity, fantastic body color and excellent drivetrain...It's a tremendous car. Well DONE!!
Sleepin
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Apr 23 2014, 08:02 PM) *

Well the tuning is done adding a few more deg. of timing and I drove the car driving.gif and it's amazing!!! Pulls like crazy and feels so planted not to mention the SOUND wub.gif

I now know why many have raved about a 901 build by Thomas, The shifting was tight and smooth pray.gif I'm on a high like no other and charging my GoPro for tomorrow to post some video. cant wait!!! Still have a few electrical issues but nothing big. Dead short in the wiper motor and turn signal issues.

Great news Andy! What an amazing transformation and rescue! smiley_notworthy.gif
Socalandy
Thanks Guy's biggrin.gif

Here's a clip running around the shop, Sorry for the engine lid rattle sad.gif I'll get right on that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWFs7gpnZp4...eature=youtu.be
Socalandy
Craig needed to check the tune blink.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jH_Txzt0M6o...eature=youtu.be
oldschool
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Apr 24 2014, 08:57 PM) *

Thanks Guy's biggrin.gif

Here's a clip running around the shop, Sorry for the engine lid rattle sad.gif I'll get right on that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWFs7gpnZp4...eature=youtu.be

Nice when will I see it at cars & Coffee drooley.gif
JRust
Woohoo cheer.gif Congrats Andy
pete000
first.gif
Sleepin
DUDE! blink.gif
Socalandy
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Apr 25 2014, 09:05 AM) *

DUDE! blink.gif

Is that a good dude or not? Its the rattle huh confused24.gif
sixnotfour
Andy Awesome,,Craig even got sideways first outing, Or is that your phone rotated ?? driving.gif smilie_pokal.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.