Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My 914-6 project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23
Socalandy
icon8.gif
Socalandy
I'll get the pics off the other camera wednesday but I glad to have this replaced. Now to descide on how to reinforce both sides idea.gif
JRust
Great work Andy! Nice to see so much progress. Keep it up
Socalandy
here are the pics after the console was removed and the jack point on the drivers side. Time to hang the doors and get the rear quarters on aktion035.gif
Socalandy
shades.gif
Socalandy
Thank You Mr. Shea pray.gif I cant wait to get my rear GT calipers and drooley.gif some more

Awsome work aktion035.gif
Socalandy
I know cell phone pictures suck but its all I had. should wrap up assembly of the P's @ C's and cams tomorrow. Sunday will be more work on the car welder.gif

For those that have flared cars Im running16x7 and 8's and need so advise on tire sizes, never had a car with different offsets front to rear, thks!!
sixnotfour
wow 100% dili's rare but trick first.gif
Socalandy
So the jack points and engine compartment all cleaned up and sealed, still need to modify the engine mount and order/install console stiffiner kit.
Socalandy
hanging the doors and gap to line up the sail pannels and get the rear quarters on. Lots of measuring here and using my 72 for comparison.
Socalandy
smash.gif to avoid warpping the front and rear lids they were stripped using aircraft stripper. The battery tray area was in bad shape but Im happy with how it looks now
Socalandy
getting closer to adding the flares piratenanner.gif and this is a good door ding mad.gif hidden with bondo
Socalandy
back to the engine assembly. Heads, chain housings and cams biggrin.gif inching along on all fronts and hoping to be done in time for the RRC pray.gif
Eric_Shea
Thank You Mr. Shea I cant wait to get my rear GT calipers and some more

Happy to help. We swapped out Andy's late model S-Calipers for a more period correct version.

The build is simply amazing!

What are you doing for lunch Wednesday? I'm flying into SNA and will be in Anaheim the remainder of the week. Wed. is my only free day for lunch.
Socalandy
I'm up for lunch chowtime.gif and I'm sure a few more peeps will want to attend
rick 918-S
Go man go! aktion035.gif
oldschool
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 16 2012, 07:43 PM) *

Thank You Mr. Shea I cant wait to get my rear GT calipers and some more

Happy to help. We swapped out Andy's late model S-Calipers for a more period correct version.

The build is simply amazing!

What are you doing for lunch Wednesday? I'm flying into SNA and will be in Anaheim the remainder of the week. Wed. is my only free day for lunch.

I may see you at namm aktion035.gif
oldschool
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Jan 16 2012, 07:29 PM) *

back to the engine assembly. Heads, chain housings and cams biggrin.gif inching along on all fronts and hoping to be done in time for the RRC pray.gif

Andy are you putting this together yourself?...made skills dude. shades.gif
Socalandy
Working with my friend Craig at his shop, first.gif He built my 2.0 in my 72 and is walking me thru the assembly process step by step. I like to do everything I can and learn this flat six engine. Setting the cams last night was different than the small block world I came from and way more precise when you use a dial indicator to set the cam timing

I'm having a blast!!! and the wife said she missed me last night sad.gif from the day job to one of the shops to get work done. Tonight I start removing seam sealer in the front of the car smash.gif and a Tahoe trip soon to keep my better half happy biggrin.gif

Snow Please pray.gif
Eric_Shea
See you at NAMM! I have a 2:00 meeting with Roland at 7400 Thursday then dinner Thursday evening with them.
oldschool
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 17 2012, 07:23 AM) *

See you at NAMM! I have a 2:00 meeting with Roland at 7400 Thursday then dinner Thursday evening with them.

I will shooting at the house of blues,on Friday. laugh.gif
Sorry Andy for the highjack
bigkensteele
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 17 2012, 07:23 AM) *

Is NAMM the annual convention for NAMBLA? poke.gif stirthepot.gif Say it ain't so, Eric! Say it ain't so!
Eric_Shea
I'm up for lunch and I'm sure a few more peeps will want to attend

12:00 Noon? Where? Orange? Anaheim? How many?
oldschool
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 17 2012, 09:56 AM) *

I'm up for lunch and I'm sure a few more peeps will want to attend

12:00 Noon? Where? Orange? Anaheim? How many?

hissyfit.gif I'm shooting a Jimmy Kimmel bit, ..I so wanted to bring a my brakes to lunch laugh.gif
Socalandy
I know this is a rough placement of the flare but the thought is to fill the sections above the flare to the drip channel and in front of the flare to the door jam to make less work instead of welding the complete narrow body section and then cutting out for the flare. Anyone have thoughts or advice on this?

Thanks
Socalandy
a few more pics of the engine and I had the valve cover done in a wrinkle finish and block sanded the letters and now I plan on doing the same for the lowers
sixnotfour
Sweet Wrinkle smile.gif
Eric_Shea
Thanks for lunch Andy
Eric_Shea
Thanks for lunch Andy
TravisNeff
The double thanks, you sick bastard....
RiqueMar
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Jan 20 2012, 03:04 PM) *

a few more pics of the engine and I had the valve cover done in a wrinkle finish and block sanded the letters and now I plan on doing the same for the lowers

I always love the wrinkle black with the 'PORSCHE' script, did it on my car, and man does it look awesome no matter what the engine! Looking good!
Socalandy
preparing the jams for the rear quarter. everywhere there's a joint elvira.gif there's more rust headbang.gif
Socalandy
trimming rear quarters and removing seam sealer. I see the importance in removing with all the rust living underneath blink.gif
Socalandy
The rumors are true sad.gif
Socalandy
the rust dust is flying
jules2c
I am sorry but I just can't seem to understand this system, the build is amazing. There was a mention of the third seatbelt holes only being on early models just wanted to know how to really confirm age of car.
Socalandy
This was all the feedback I got and from that info would assume all cars with the fixed passenger seat would have them.

QUOTE(jules2c @ Feb 5 2012, 03:50 PM) *

I am sorry but I just can't seem to understand this system, the build is amazing. There was a mention of the third seatbelt holes only being on early models just wanted to know how to really confirm age of car.
Socalandy
lower valve covers were a bit of work milling them down, then out for the wrinkle finish and the grain sanding the fins but I'm happy with the look.

Last step in selling my 72 was get the stock seats redone since the Scheel's go in the -6

Glad I bought the roll of basket weave!!
MecGen
Hi Andy
This is a real test to your motivation, and your killing it aktion035.gif Really nice to see you taking the time to save this 914 and bring it back to where few of us believe they should be, in the front of the pack

QUOTE(Socalandy @ Jan 14 2012, 10:56 PM) *

and order/install console stiffiner kit.

I've been out of the game for a while, can you explain ? are you talking about a tie rod support system?

Thanks in advance and good luck whith the build

Regards

9fourteen
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Dec 18 2011, 09:45 PM) *

the green stuff is the eastwood converter that ran out and got wiped off, it covered way better than expected and flows into every little creveice. We drilled a few holes to treat enclosed areas. This cars internal areas are sealed aktion035.gif

Did you prep those areas any before you sprayed that stuff in there? Like blow it out, wash it out with rust converter, then water, etc or did you just spray it in there. Just curious. That stuff looks like it might be the way to go for treating the "can't reach" areas. Just wandering what else is involved with using it.
Socalandy
The stiffining kit is installed in the rear wheel wells and around the swing arm console and is recomended for larger motors. this pic is of someones conversion.

As for the the coating from Eastwood I cleaned out what I cound reach and sprayed it in. Here's a paste from their website...

Internal Frame Coating destroys rust hiding inside the chassis, so it doesn’t rust its way throughYou spend time and money restoring a chassis...but what about all that rust inside the frame? Use our Internal Frame Coating to make your chassis rust-free throughout!
•Tough phenolic resin penetrates, converts and encapsulates the rust on the internal surface
•Zinc phosphate seals it to prevent future corrosion
•24"-long tube with conical nozzle reaches in to spray coating in a radial pattern for complete coverage
•Covers 10 sq. ft. per can
•Fully cures in 24 hours

JoeSharp
Thanks for bring the stuff by Andy, the car is coming along nicely.
Socalandy
Thanks Joe!!

Some more progress with the stiffining in so now the rear quarters can go on next
Socalandy
welder.gif and grinding
6freak
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Jan 21 2012, 12:55 AM) *

QUOTE(Socalandy @ Jan 20 2012, 03:04 PM) *

I always love the wrinkle black with the 'PORSCHE' script, did it on my car, and man does it look awesome no matter what the engine! Looking good!

I agree looks good ..I did the letters on mine in Gold ..matches the ingine lid letters...nice work Mr

MikeC smile.gif
Socalandy
So the passenger side quarter is on and the drivers side is tacked in and its looking like a complete 914 body piratenanner.gif

Socalandy
welder.gif
Socalandy
beerchug.gif
MikeSpraggi
Looking good Andy! Making good progress.
Socalandy
Anyone seen this area dimpled like this? Maybe for the wiper motor. most likly a PO did it but I want to pound it back into shape even know its behind the dash and I dont think it was a factory adjustment

Thanks in advance!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.