Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My 914-6 project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23
GeorgeRud
Your project looks great! Love the color!

When I found some used heat exchangers that looked about like yours, I did have Jet-Hot coat them, and it has head up quite well. They did sandblast them, and found another few little spots where the outer envelopes were getting thin, but were able to get them patched before coating them. Didn't have to split the outer envelopes to get the coating done.

However, given their age, even though they look great, I do carry a CO detector in the storage bin under the dash just in case.
Socalandy
Got a few more things done today. Disassembled rear turn signal buckets, cleaned and on, installed mirrors and shrink rapped all the wire harness support tabs.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Socalandy @ May 27 2013, 04:31 PM) *
I think is says Hillary confused24.gif

I don't think so. I have seen this before and it has always been a German name ...
idea.gif
Cairo94507
wub.gif pray.gif
Socalandy
In my parts hunting I came across a red engine lid from a factory -6 that still had the foil decals on it. I removed them as carefully as possible and cleaned off the old adhesive.

I installed them tonight, you can see some waves in the aluminum but that's as good as its gonna get I think. I prefer the originals over the re-pops, What do you guys think? Pass or fail idea.gif
wingnut86
As long as you have the provenance trail of these decals and the same on your car, it would be similar to a repair done by a certified dealer or after sales service provider.

That's based on old Pontiac concours, not Porsches...
Ferg
I'd rather see slightly wavy originals vs repops beerchug.gif
mepstein
I like it.
JmuRiz
I like originals, very cool
Cairo94507
Definitely the originals.
green914
QUOTE(RobW @ Jan 3 2010, 08:22 AM) *

w00t.gif New parts are fun... wish they were mine!

agree.gif New parts makes it feel like Christmas.
NARP914
Hey, those stickers and lid look familiar... where did you find that awesome piece? Hummm. Great find for $55 off e-bay, right? piratenanner.gif

-Eddie
Sleepin
Jealous...
Socalandy
Back at it with some 914rubber products and freshly plated latches. Sealed up the pockets in the window frame since the plugs are warped on don't fit right. Don't want any water in there!!!
Socalandy
Really nice fit without any glue aktion035.gif Thanks Mike!!!
Socalandy
Latches and hardware plated like new and 914rubber's engine lid pull knob and cable. Didn't even need to trim the length biggrin.gif
Socalandy
Thanks again to Bruce Stone on the plating. Took me two trips with a lot of cleaning and prep but makes all the difference in the final finish. At least the hood springs hold the hood up but their on the 3rd hook.

The wife's happy now that the roll bar pad is not on the dinning room table smile.gif
Eric_Shea
Ever see "The Shining"?

Redrock... Redrock... Redrock.

IPB Image
sbsix
Andy I'm getting a little concerned at the speed that you are finishing your six build. I'm afraid of severe withdrawals when you're done. Not sure what to do in place of being amazed at the really fantastic story you have presented to all of us.

Any chance you could slow down and keep it going for another couple of years?
Sleepin
Are you installing an emergency front trunk release cable... wink.gif
Socalandy
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Jun 16 2013, 08:28 PM) *

Are you installing an emergency front trunk release cable... wink.gif

Needed a way to open while making adjustments. I still have that hook you made me when the wire broke beerchug.gif

Thanks SBSIX!!! As for the speed on my reassembly, Honestly when the car was painted and back home weeks went by with nothing done sad.gif After 14+ months of getting the car back into shape and painted it took a lot out of Kent and me. I just didn't have the drive for awhile and still cant explain it, not like the feeling of a household project gone long but that's over now. If anything I'm speeding up for lost time now aktion035.gif

Redrocks Redrocks Redrocks, I think I can!!!
boogie_man
no, no, keep going as you're keeping me going !!! Everytime I see your progress,
I seem to work harder over here. biggrin.gif Great looking car!!!
Socalandy
So it's my fault you lost 3 weeks of progress poke.gif Sorry

More progress!!! Three more hours on the harness and just the front truck section to go. First pic is of whats been unwrapped,cleaned and re-wrapped along with removing crimp connectors for solder and shrink. The second pic is whats left and if you can see the crimp connectors in the upper left corner that's where a later front trunk section was spliced in confused24.gif

Maybe the section from the original harness that was in the car will be used for this part since the color coding on the wires at this point don't match and I have a few mystery wires hissyfit.gif Hope to light the fuse this week pray.gif
Socalandy
Still plugin away and got the harness in the car. A few wire to work on for the sending unit and master cylinder but it's in piratenanner.gif beerchug.gif
Socalandy
This just as hard going in as it was getting it out only I had Kent helping me
Socalandy
aktion035.gif
MoveQik
I am super proud of my car but there is something about a full rotisserie restoration like yours and Erc's that is just too much for words to describe. Awesome Job Andy! Can't wait to see it in Durango! beerchug.gif
Eric_Shea
agree.gif Epic build Andy. Way to "Save One". Love that GT engine mount. Details, details, details. There will be a yellow group shot.
Socalandy
Thanks guy's!!!

I'm doing some things tonight that don't require crawling around in tight places pullin wire
Krieger
Looking real nice!
Socalandy
Every night after work I have to get something done!!! A little painting, headlight mech's are in and started on the blower box. Plastic polishes up pretty good
Sleepin
It looks like a clock for some reason...
Cairo94507
This is the bench-mark for my build. I just love this car and the outstanding workmanship going into it.
Elliot Cannon
You're not actually going to DRIVE that pretty car are you? laugh.gif
championgt1
That blower box looks new. What did you use to clean it?
NARP914
What's the latest status on this project... any recent pictures to throw up so we call can see this awesome ride as it comes together!?!? piratenanner.gif

-Eddie
MoveQik
QUOTE(NARP914 @ Jun 30 2013, 10:10 AM) *

What's the latest status on this project... any recent pictures to throw up so we call can see this awesome ride as it comes together!?!? piratenanner.gif

-Eddie

Yeah Andy, it's been several days since an update! poke.gif biggrin.gif
Socalandy
Thanks Guys,

I was on call last week and it killed my progress but this will almost catch you up. I used a green scrub pad on the blower box to knock down the oxidation and then use 3M compound and polished it.

Socalandy
I have got my hands on a few front trunk cable tubes but they all cracked and then I found out that Pelican can still get them
Socalandy
Caution... PMB brake lines and cables drooley.gif Thanks again Erc!!!
Socalandy
biggrin.gif
Socalandy
Front and rear trunk seals installed. The rear trunk is done except for the carpet and put the jack in.
proto31
Looking really Nice!
eric9144
Late model trunk pad? confused24.gif
Socalandy
QUOTE(eric9144 @ Jul 1 2013, 09:17 AM) *

Late model trunk pad? confused24.gif

Just until I get around to the carpet, consider it a tool pad, I cant scratch it just yet
Socalandy
Received my SS fuel lines from Tangerine. Thanks Chris!!! This is my 3rd set but the first with an engine out and I added shrink wrap as another safety measure. 8mm for the 8mm line and 10mm for the 9.5 worked great and went on easy.

I'm ready for a full day on the car tomorrow biggrin.gif
Socalandy
Help refresh my memory on this part please idea.gif headbang.gif
MrHyde
Two of those go on the inside of a 73-74 bumper behind the bumper tits. I know this because I'm putting a 73 bumper on a 72 body and had to remove them cuz the front nose panel doesn't have room for them.
rick 918-S
Looking nice Andy! RRC?
Mr.242
Looking great Andy!

Make sure you put the small pieces of rubber over those rear brake lines where they mount against those metal tabs. Was recently there doing the same build up... hurry UP and FINISH.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.