Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My 914-6 project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23
Socalandy
Gor alot done today. A few more pics
Socalandy
rolleyes.gif
Socalandy
Still running on 2 donuts at 3 pm blink.gif
Socalandy
yellowsleep[1].gif
914Sixer
Overall, the car does not look that bad. Should be and interesting project.
Sleepin
Looks better than I initially thought! Someone must have started the bodywork a few years ago huh? Will be nice to see the progress Andy!!! biggrin.gif
1968Cayman
I was just thinking the same thing. The first photo I saw had it as a close runner-up for the "Rustiest 914" trophy but the closer you look the more salvagable it appears.
Socalandy
I hope to remove all the front trunk items this week and see how thinngs look under the gas tank. A few of the wheels are older than the car
Socalandy
OK, Here are a few more pics that show some more problem areas sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif

Just outside the battery tray area and some small holes on the leading passenger long
Socalandy
Drivers side jack point smash.gif
Michael N
QUOTE(T H O M A S @ Mar 2 2010, 10:21 PM) *

what,the older car has a newer #
#673=6404444
#970=6404411
screwy.gif

#0947=6404557 confused24.gif
Socalandy
clearly the numbers are screwed up. why the cars rolled off in numerical order and not the cases confused24.gif

Whats your born on date?? when I got the drivers side door open it had no door jam sticker sad.gif
T H O M A S
andy give me a call if you need the rotisserie
Socalandy
I do and I will!!!

Thanks Thomas pray.gif pray.gif
Eric_Shea
Sixes didn't come with sway bars... that one looks interesting. What is it?
smg914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 25 2010, 07:08 AM) *

Sixes didn't come with sway bars... that one looks interesting. What is it?

Mine did. All the euro M471 sixes came with sway bars. You are right thought, I've never seen a original US six with factory installed sway bars (including the M471's that were originally imported to America).
Socalandy
When I take it all apart I will get some photos and see if it looks like an add on. It does look like a stock sway bar like the one I installed on the -4
sixnotfour
Thats an H&H sway bar.

Keep the photo's coming
Socalandy
It must be because the guys in germany would not have installed like this. When you said it was a H&H swaybar I knew I smelled a RAT. Notice there was no backing plate used confused24.gif

Cleared out the front trunk and removed the windshield. This was all removed before at some point only to spray this textured coating thats coming off in huge flakes. it was the same stuff they used on the floor boards.
Eric_Shea
Ut ohhhhhhhhhhhh... Hine's is gonna love this project.

Jeff! Oh Jeeeeeeeff!! Hurry... come look. Before dinner!

lol3.gif
Socalandy
rocking nana.gif
Socalandy
smash.gif
Eric_Shea
Is that where the factory mounted the washer pump?
Socalandy
new_shocked.gif
Socalandy
You guys tell me but Im thinking so

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 27 2010, 05:22 PM) *

Socalandy
smile.gif
Eric_Shea
I don't recall from my six. I'll let other weigh in.

I'm going to put a pump in and Glenn is going to sell me one of the -6 washer fluid tanks he's hoarding (actually he sniped it out from under my nose and I'm fairly certain he feels guilty about it) biggrin.gif

Just curious...
Socalandy
they even painted over the VIN plate. Its looking pretty solid with mostly suface rust. Yes I'm poking it hard to test the rusty areas poke.gif
Socalandy
lol-2.gif Had to give you another shot of the Rat. He was behind the winshield washer bottle. Hey Joe, Do you want your rat back??? icon8.gif

Stinky stromberg.gif
sixnotfour
Dude no more rodent pics. Yes the rubber plugs is the factory six washer pump mount.

The orange -6 I had and sold had a mouse family in the longs around the heater tubes.

Hope all you had was a rat.

Andy I would get the thing blasted and etch primed and you will have a great start.
Socalandy
thats the plan. I have a soda/media blaster for that. Now where's my cup gun unsure.gif
Sleepin
Looking good Andy! Almost ready to blast! biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Mar 27 2010, 05:25 PM) *

You guys tell me but Im thinking so

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 27 2010, 05:22 PM) *

Nope.

That pump is neither factory nor in the factory location ...

The /6 washer pump looks like a 911 pump of the time and is mounted on those little rubber insulators you see in the same pic, next to that hacked rectangular "slot" ...

shades.gif Andy
McMark
agree.gif
Socalandy
Thanks for the info. Now I can fill those screw holes along with that slot. It had nothing passing thru it and was covered with duct tape. What are people thinking when they do this stuff? chair.gif
Socalandy
so here is my oil tank and I'm ready to take it to be hot tanked and cleaned out. So for those of you that have been thru the process whats the best aproach ? I plan on sending it out to have it copper plated again before the re-paint.

It has a little surface rust but not anything deep and the inside still has a nice coating of oil so I think I'm OK in that dept.

Thanks,
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Mar 25 2010, 05:55 PM) *

When I take it all apart I will get some photos and see if it looks like an add on. It does look like a stock sway bar like the one I installed on the -4

You are a hero to save this car. Yes the sway bar is h&h aftermarket and one can tell by the inner fender well bracket that it was installed after the car left the factory.
Socalandy
Well these were going to go on my 72 -4 but now they will sit waiting to go on the -6 car.

Thanks again to Al Reed!! aktion035.gif
Sleepin
ohhh....that gives me a weird tingly feeling on the inside! drooley.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 8 2010, 04:10 PM) *

QUOTE(Socalandy @ Mar 3 2010, 09:20 PM) *

I was asked to post pictures of what I have to work with. More when it gets moved into the garage. Time to get dirty welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif

That car looks familiar!

I'm pretty sure i have seen this one a few years back ...
idea.gif Andy

Doh!

I'm with stupid ... givemebeer.gif

No wonder the yard looked familiar. I actually had my dirty little hands all over that car a few years back.

Glad to see someone finally had the guts to restore it!
smilie_pokal.gif Andy
Socalandy
Scheel seats are being redone finally and I've always wanted to know what was under the skin and foam WTF.gif
Socalandy
welder.gif hand made frames, Time to blast and paint them. More pics in the next few days
914Sixer
Now I do not have to take my Scheels apart to see what they look like. My bottoms have the webbing missing on the bottom too. Somebody used bunge cord and a piece of carpet as replacements.
Socalandy
the webbing was there, just been removed so I could sand blast the frames. they were worn out for sure but will be like new soon
Socalandy
Blasted and painted, Pannels are coming together biggrin.gif
Socalandy
popcorn[1].gif
Socalandy
aktion035.gif
Socalandy
drooley.gif
proto31
Andy, did you sand blast and paint the frame or did your upholsterer do it? Is he going to reuse most of the foam or is he using all new foam? Looks like they're going to turn out really nicely!

Dan
Socalandy
I went by yesterday for some pictures and saw the suface rust. took them home for the blasting and paint and returned them today. They would have done a quick sanding and painted them but wanted to get it all off. They are shaping all new foam to match the original pieces, everything will be new but the frames.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.