Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My 914-6 project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23
sixnotfour
Andy, I think you need to raise your rear bracket.
Socalandy
I cant raise the top line any higher so I was going to have a buddy add a bit more bend, Did I not clearance something some where? sad2.gif
sixnotfour
yes, just give it a tweek, it wont kink.
Tom
If you wanted to finish off the chassis holes, you could use one of these products.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&a...12KFpUcfg4S8DNg
Tom
sixnotfour
Hey Andy !!
I was at Ralph Meaney's place today with a shopping list of sorts, and I did a bunch of machine work for him and his partners, Anyway I thought of you when he pulled this out of the deep archives. Want It ?? drooley.gif happy11.gif
Trust me there is no other -6 parts, sad.gif
Socalandy
Thanks Tom, nice looking edge protector!!!

A big thanks to Jeff, another part I can scratch of my list. I had to move my welding work into my courtyard today after the jack hole across the street got bent outta shape screwy.gif Glad I have the cart with wheelsfor the welder and bottle. I hate HOA's
Phil Plummer
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Nov 7 2009, 11:24 PM) *

piratenanner.gif Well I placed a few orders for the car and they are coming in aktion035.gif

New set of grills

Nice grills !!! does anyone know where I can get a well priced oil coole for my 916 bumper ??? Trying to get this 914/6 project finished-Phil
sixnotfour
Nice welds dude smile.gif

Thanks for contributing to Ralphs retirement fund..He appreciates it.
Eric_Shea
Looking good Andy smilie_pokal.gif

Before you paint or powder those, grind the handbrake adjustment tube flat on the wheel side as well. Depending on how you want to deal with the caliper/rotor offsent, you'll need as much room in there as possible for the caliper.

You can put a 4.5mm spacer under the rotor hat but that will eat up a little clearance and, we can usually use all that we can get.

That leaves spacing the calipers back with washers and they can hit the lip of the adjustment tube (you can see the lip sticking up past the weld on the factory tube).

Just a heads up...
sixnotfour
Or you could buy 916 rotors.
Eric_Shea
Yup... Around $250 each, not that bad actually.
Socalandy
So you like the ride better without the rear sway Eric? Based on all the great comments in the -6 suspension recommendations thread I will be ordering 140lbs progressive springs and adjust full soft to start on the Koni's.

These came today biggrin.gif
Eric_Shea
So you like the ride better without the rear sway Eric?

Much. Had a couple of issues. the bar was hitting the trunk floor and the arms were up against the dials on my GT shocks.

Even with the stock 200lb. GT springs it's much better. I'll be putting some 150's on tomorrow and I'll report back. I believe you are in the sweet spot with what you're planning.
Socalandy
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Nov 4 2012, 07:15 PM) *

Looking good Andy smilie_pokal.gif

Before you paint or powder those, grind the handbrake adjustment tube flat on the wheel side as well. Depending on how you want to deal with the caliper/rotor offsent, you'll need as much room in there as possible for the caliper.

You can put a 4.5mm spacer under the rotor hat but that will eat up a little clearance and, we can usually use all that we can get.

That leaves spacing the calipers back with washers and they can hit the lip of the adjustment tube (you can see the lip sticking up past the weld on the factory tube).

Just a heads up...

Got it down to the bead of the weld, Do you think I should grind my welds down also or are they out of the way enough?
Gint
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Nov 11 2012, 03:31 PM) *
Got it down to the bead of the weld, Do you think I should grind my welds down also or are they out of the way enough?

If my welds looked that good, there is no way I'd grind em off.
SirAndy
I'm no expert on aerodynamics, but it would seem that the raised portion of the louvers should point downwards with the opening towards the back of the car.
That way the air under the car will create a low pressure zone at the opening thus helping the hot air to exit.

Your current configuration seems to block air exit instead of aiding it ...
popcorn[1].gif

QUOTE(Socalandy @ Sep 1 2012, 12:53 PM) *

IPB Image
Eric_Shea
Grinding is perfect. No need to grind the others.

Also... I agree.gif with the Sir on that one sad.gif
Socalandy
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Thanks Sir. and glad this was noticed before paint!!! looks like I'm going for the big opening like your GT Eric blink.gif

I'm glad I don't have to grind down my welds and the cred goes to my buddy Kent as I've learned a lot from him. I didn't tell him the first tube weld was crap due to me forgetting to turn on the bottle stromberg.gif

Ground it down and started over welder.gif I really enjoy the welding!!!
Socalandy
more suspension parts back from powder coating, I know.... front spindals are not green blink.gif

the body is blocked down to 220 with another guide coat and few more rounds to go. lots of tedious sanding but looking super smooth
Socalandy
yellowsleep[1].gif
sixnotfour
Its gonna look great... Blue right ??
Socalandy
you mean Adriatic Blue smile.gif
pete000
Very impressive !!!

smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif
oldschool
What's the target date ....of her unveiling piratenanner.gif
Socalandy
QUOTE(oldschool @ Nov 29 2012, 08:36 PM) *

What's the target date ....of her unveiling piratenanner.gif

\

I'm thinking Feb/Mar at this point. I don't want to rush anything, I enjoy the reassembly process and want to get it as perfect as I can.

Cleaned the oil tank up today and its off to get flushed out and striped for it's copper dip
Socalandy
Here's the worst spot on the tank metal wise and look the the sandy grime inside the tank
Socalandy
more parts for the plating pile
Socalandy
Is the full level where my arrow is on the dip stick in the middle ? no stamped lines on dip stick

Thanks
sixnotfour
beerchug.gif
Gint
lol
Socalandy
Thanks again Ralph and Jeff pray.gif
Socalandy
Kent added braces to the front flares on the trailing end and block sanding down to 220 is done. Fixed the stripped threads for the drivers side swing arm.
Socalandy
new threaded insert welded in welder.gif

Kent has finished the first of his custom flares on his car drooley.gif
sixnotfour
Looks like he deleted the door handles too. Fun
Sleepin
icon_bump.gif

Any updates?
Socalandy
The last and very wet coat of primer, then 320 sanding and sealer
Socalandy
easier to see the lines wet and before another guide coat
cary
Looks nice ............
Hopefully I'll be there someday.
Cairo94507
Loving it. I can't wait to be able to look at pictures of my car in primer after all of the metal work.
Socalandy
Thanks,

I got the oil tank back from the boys at Pacific Oil Cooler service and man is this thing clean inside and out. Thanks to Joe O'brien for telling me about them, they do a great job on coolers and now I know they will referb. tanks too.

now its off to the chrome shop for copper plate and then powder coat.
pete000
Almost time to blow color !!
Socalandy
Now that the world didn't end we should have color on the pan,wheel wells, interior and engine compartment before the new year.

I did wrap up the oil tank and opted to use high temp paint instead of powder coating it. Got one little run while shooting it but know one will see it. I want to get a coat of oil inside to keep it from flashing and need some recommendations on what to use that wont contaminate the oil system later. I'm thinking regular motor oil would be OK but will the oil film stay put over time?
mepstein
Put some motor oil in it and turn it over every once in a while.
Socalandy
That's what I was thinking but thought there might be something better. I didn't like the suggestion of using WD40. Really didn't think that would be something I'd want in the oil system
mepstein
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Dec 21 2012, 11:29 PM) *

That's what I was thinking but thought there might be something better. I didn't like the suggestion of using WD40. Really didn't think that would be something I'd want in the oil system

Definitely not WD40.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Dec 21 2012, 07:38 PM) *

Now that the world didn't end we should have color on the pan,wheel wells, interior and engine compartment before the new year.

I did wrap up the oil tank and opted to use high temp paint instead of powder coating it. Got one little run while shooting it but know one will see it. I want to get a coat of oil inside to keep it from flashing and need some recommendations on what to use that wont contaminate the oil system later. I'm thinking regular motor oil would be OK but will the oil film stay put over time?

Regular oil and mix a bit of blue STP into it.
Say a couple tablespoons STP to a pint of oil. Only use the blue STP.
Use the left over oil for the drill press or any other storage rust protection.
Socalandy
Undercoating today biggrin.gif Sorry... cell phone pic. More later
Socalandy
looks great and works perfect for replacing seams I removed to get at the rust
JRust
Lookin good Andy! That is really coming along. Keep up the great work piratenanner.gif
OmaPossu
Looks good in seams! What are you using?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.