Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My 914-6 project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23
Socalandy
QUOTE(Luke M @ Jan 9 2014, 07:24 AM) *

QUOTE(Socalandy @ Jan 7 2014, 09:11 PM) *

Anyone use a Mocal unit with their front cooler, looking for mounting ideas in the engine compartment. Show me our pics

Thanks

Andy,

Are you planning on installing the t-stat in the engine bay or front trunk?
I like the lower firewall/engine bay mounting area.
Here's a few links that I've looked at for my car :

Thanks Guys!!!

The front trunk was my first choice but my concern going with that location is the distance. there is a lot of cooling with the brass oil lines alone and I want it to open and close properly. Mocal calls for an engine compartment location and distance may be the reason. I was thinking the lower firewall would be the spot but I don't want a spaghetti mess of hoses. I might have to figure it out once the engine is in.
Luke M
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Jan 9 2014, 09:34 AM) *

QUOTE(Luke M @ Jan 9 2014, 07:24 AM) *

QUOTE(Socalandy @ Jan 7 2014, 09:11 PM) *

Anyone use a Mocal unit with their front cooler, looking for mounting ideas in the engine compartment. Show me our pics

Thanks

Andy,

Are you planning on installing the t-stat in the engine bay or front trunk?
I like the lower firewall/engine bay mounting area.
Here's a few links that I've looked at for my car :

Thanks Guys!!!

The front trunk was my first choice but my concern going with that location is the distance. there is a lot of cooling with the brass oil lines alone and I want it to open and close properly. Mocal calls for an engine compartment location and distance may be the reason. I was thinking the lower firewall would be the spot but I don't want a spaghetti mess of hoses. I might have to figure it out once the engine is in.

I like you want a simple install w/o all the hose mess. I'm going to mount mine in the lower right side firewall. I'm going to run my lines down the right side to the front trunk. I see you have the GT lines/routing so you may want to mount yours on the left side if you have the room. I have a few pics someplace just need to find them. IIRC I have pics of both mounting locations.
I'll post the pics after I find them.
jfort
I don't know how I had not seen this thread before. I just spent two hours salivating my way through it. Truly remarkable and an inspiration to us all.

Andy, my six ran too hot IMO during hot days. I had a front cooler added about this time last year by Auto Assets in Powell, OH. I think it is the best improvement I have done. It ran cool all last summer.

I sold a '73 Corvette in 1976 when I came across a six in an interstate highway, quasi-race. I was impressed. It was yellow, too. Sold it for a family car -- a 911. But the six always haunted me and I am happy to have one now.

Keep going. Can't wait to see it done.
Socalandy
And keep going I will. The early bird gets to put trim on before heading to work
Socalandy
This aluminum trim is so soft huh.gif
MoveQik
Route 66 is in March. Would love to see this car in person Andy! drooley.gif
yellgokart
Looking good my man!!! This project has come alooooong way, few more steps to go. piratenanner.gif

aktion035.gif This will be one awesome ride to pull into "Cars & Coffee" on fine morning!!!

-Other 914 owner
Socalandy
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Jan 9 2014, 01:22 PM) *

Route 66 is in March. Would love to see this car in person Andy! drooley.gif

It's doable in that time frame and work has eased biggrin.gif I'm looking forward to seeing your car too with your flares and fresh paint drooley.gif

I did what I think is the final hanging of the oil lines. the last pic is from a late 914 fuse panel, was the bailing string used on the early cars like in the photo? it sure cleans things up.
saigon71
Awe inspiring work Andy - your car looks awesome! beerchug.gif

Your first drive in that thing is gonna be sweet! driving.gif
9146FAN
Amazing detail, can't wait to see your 6 at C&C. This will be a show-stopper!

My 70 didn't have the string on the wires at the fuse panel.
Socalandy
Should have the front cooler in tomorrow after getting some AN fittings and line from my buddy Kent, It only cost me a fiberglass rear valance Shea said I cant use poke.gif
Socalandy
I also got a puke tank from a F1 car as a nice gift drooley.gif but is it too much carbon for the Six?
Nice work,.... A labor of love.
scotty b
beerchug.gif gorgeous wub.gif
Socalandy
More progress, just need to bolt down the cooler to the car after I paint the shroud.
Socalandy
first time assembling AN fittings so I took my time, hope they dont leak popcorn[1].gif
Socalandy
finally got a good/tested proportioning valve that was the last piece to the brake system. I'm done in here, Just need to put the engine in. PMB brake lines are spot on!!! Thanks again Eric
zambezi
Nice work. Even your vise is fast
sixnotfour
I found a part you may need rattling around under the seat in my truck, I will send it to you...
r_towle
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jan 28 2014, 05:28 AM) *

I found a part you may need rattling around under the seat in my truck, I will send it to you...

I hope it's another roll of blue tape....cause if he tapes all his tools up he will run out.
Socalandy
Thanks Jeff piratenanner.gif

Am I crazy for using blue tape to keep from scratching the AN fittings? blink.gif I have gone thru a few rolls on this project.
SLITS
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Jan 28 2014, 09:28 AM) *

Am I crazy for using blue tape to keep from scratching the AN fittings? blink.gif I have gone thru a few rolls on this project.

Other than purchasing the specialty wrenches for AN fittings I think you did good. I just scratched the AN fittings but then I am a barbarian.

You were always nutz, crazy, couple bricks short of a full load poke.gif
Ferg
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Jan 28 2014, 10:28 AM) *

pray.gif
Socalandy
Got a set of E-Brake pins from PMB and the Sway bar is ready to go in

Thanks Eric!!!
Socalandy
fuel pump and hoses will get run this weekend and set the tank in for the last time. I will have a recirc. loop so with the PMO pressure regulator I can have the remaining PSI feed the return. I also got my ignition ECU programmed today.
Socalandy
all my outer satin parts get painted Wednesday so time to fiberglass the bumper brackets in place, Painted the intakes and a little polishing.
Socalandy
Got the wiper motor in. Anyone know where the red wire off the motor harness goes to? my wiring diagram was no help, this is a -6 wiper motor.

Ready..... The nipples for the washer bottle were busted off. Found a T fitting and chopped it for the fix. I think it worked out pretty good.
Socalandy
I also got the engine harness done, pedal cluster in, basket weave on the dash face and more.

I think listening to the game in the garage working on the car was less painful than watching sad.gif
Socalandy
Thanks Jeff!!! You rock aktion035.gif and this part is killer. Also thanks to those who made the blue tape comments as Jeff thought I was almost out and included a few rolls av-943.gif

Got the oil tank lines and painted the headlight bezels. rockers, bumpers and valance are being painted. engine and trans goes in on the 21st driving.gif
MoveQik
Looks amazing as always Andy! Will we see it in ABQ? drooley.gif
rick 918-S
awesome!
sbsix
Andy it's interesting that you painted your headlight surrounds. Did you try to clean or refinish original white surrounds first?
TJB/914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 5 2014, 09:33 AM) *

awesome!

agree.gif Beautiful workmanship. pray.gif
Andy: Wondering how many man-hours of your time into the project so far??
Just a wild ass estimate please?? popcorn[1].gif
BTW: My guess-estimate will be 3,000 plus+++ man-hours of your time? w00t.gif

Tom
worn
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 9 2014, 07:56 AM) *

Andy - I applaud your vision!

I also spent a lot of time with the before images trying to get a better feeling for the spaces under the fenders for oiling and also the shape of the frame overall. Thanks!
Socalandy
I painted the bezels since the originals had at least 3 coats of paint and primer on them and when I striped them I could tell they would wouldn't clean up enough for my liking.

As for time spent on the car, there's my time and kent's time but I'm sure were above the 3K mark!!!

Got some goodies in the mail and home for lunch. my rough plan for fuel, filter location and washer pump is in. Back to the day job dry.gif
pete000
Who does your yellow cad plating ?

first.gif
2mAn
WOW! just went through another looooooooooong thread, hoping the car would be done at the end and it wasnt. This says a few things about this group. #1 you do things right the first time. #2 you have the patience of a buddhist monk #3 a proper resto on a 914 is ~3-5 years!!!

Andy, Im in Fullerton and would love to come and BS with you someday. I'll try to keep the drool off the car
r_towle
Hey, could you back up a bit and show where you are putting the fuel pump?
I can't make out the location.....

Rich
Eric_Shea
Mr. Bowlsby may be of assistance but the red wire has a jacket consistent with tying into another harness. If it's what I'm thinking, I thought there were more.

Intermittent relay harness?
Socalandy
QUOTE(r_towle @ Feb 5 2014, 04:12 PM) *

Rich

Thanks Guy's,

pump is just below the pass. side headlight bucket.

Jeff Hines answered the mystery wire issue. I don't want a visit from Mr. Sparky or his pal Smoke
Sleepin
thumb3d.gif

I'll call you this evening Andy.
r_towle
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Feb 5 2014, 11:55 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Feb 5 2014, 04:12 PM) *

Rich

Thanks Guy's,

pump is just below the pass. side headlight bucket.

Jeff Hines answered the mystery wire issue. I don't want a visit from Mr. Sparky or his pal Smoke

Got it.

Based upon experience, I would strongly suggest you either don't put fuel lines and pump in the front trunk, or build a cover for everything.

Once you start using the car, the front trunk is key to be able to stuff full.....and things rolling around and bumping into the fuel system is just not cool.

Just putting that on the table for you to consider.

Rich
Socalandy
Thanks Rich, Always good to think this stuff threw and I welcome other options that don't require cutting or having it somewhere hard to service.
Socalandy
I had to special order the front mount bolt but had to order 5 so ping me if you need one. My cost was 9.75 ea. biggrin.gif
sbsix
andy, i'll take one. let me know much you need and how you would like paid.
rick 918-S
PM sent smile.gif Car looks awesome!
r_towle
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Feb 7 2014, 12:52 AM) *

Thanks Rich, Always good to think this stuff threw and I welcome other options that don't require cutting or having it somewhere hard to service.

Hmm, no cutting....

Underneath the tank, under the car, just above the steering rack.
Cover plate would protect it.

Similar to a 911.

Or
At the rear, mounted to the firewall, passenger side.
bigkensteele
QUOTE(r_towle @ Feb 8 2014, 04:27 PM) *

Similar to a 911.

This gets my vote. Under the tank is a PITA as hoses get kinked and pinched. Behind the steering rack is the perfect location - short, direct hose runs and easy to get to.

Love this thread - keep up the awesome work, Andy! smilie_pokal.gif
Socalandy
two more bolts remain.

More progress, taking a dinner break and then back in the front trunk and the flapper boxes and cables.
scott_in_nh
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Feb 8 2014, 09:21 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Feb 8 2014, 04:27 PM) *

Similar to a 911.

This gets my vote. Under the tank is a PITA as hoses get kinked and pinched. Behind the steering rack is the perfect location - short, direct hose runs and easy to get to.

Love this thread - keep up the awesome work, Andy! smilie_pokal.gif

that's where I put mine - no sheet metal mods other than two mounting holes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.