Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Doc's tranny waggin'
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34
root
Eh! I sent out the keepers and caps usps on Friday.
Let me know when they arrive so I do worry. beer.gif
Dr Evil
I need to remove the ones from the core head I have here as well. I bet they are here tomorrow.
Dr Evil
Ah, I didnt check the mail yesterday and when I did tonight my electric choke kit and electric carb kit were in! smilie_pokal.gif I already assembled the electric carb it and modified the supplied metering block smile.gif One nice thing about Noel not being here, I am doing this on the living room table biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
I picked up my engine block, rods, and cylinders today when I dropped off my valve hardware. I would have taken pics, but Noel took the camera. All that is left is for them is to assemble the heads, trim the piston skirts (mini skirts) drooley.gif and grind the crank.
Root_Werks
Love this thread! I can't wait to see more progress. boldblue.gif
jd74914
Mike I know you are using VW stuff to build this engine, is there an online guide as to what is close or does it just come down to a bunch of measuring, machining, and finding parts? A friend wants to do this and we're really just looking for an easy guide. Figuring it outs not a problem, it just takes some more time.

It sounds like you are using a stock crank, cut down VW Cylinders and VW rods?
scotty b
GETTING CLOSE !! As Mike knows but non of you do, this isn't a " perfect " jopb by any means BUT it will be a pretty damn nuce ride for our boy. I have taken care of the major rust and the major dents. In theese pics you wil see some red/brown porimer. These are spots that had pretty bad pitting but now detrementaly thin metal. I couldn't warrent sandblasting these small spots so I cleanes them, gace then a coat of Ospho and then use some Spies etch primer whic also acts as a rust neutralizer. Just so Mike doesn't worry there were no signs of rust after I cleaned the metal, I just wanted to make double certain it was protected smile.gif Oh and you also got Spies sealer on top of that, all foprm my personal stash shades.gif
scotty b
Pretty much all that is left is the drivers dood, the support brace insdie ( where I cut out for the pass swivel ) and then wet sand the whole lower body, then PAINT ! smilie_pokal.gif
Dr Evil
biggrin.gif I dare anyone to try and get Scotty to do a half assed job. I tried and he has gone wayyyy past what I was expecting, but he cant just do a bare minimum. That is looking great.

Jim D,

Here is a good link to get some of your corvair questions answered:
http://home.hiwaay.net/~langford/corvair/trial_assy.html

Search around on his page and you will find lots of info.
type11969
Looks great!
r_towle
Just make sure its the color that is correct....laugh.gif

Rich
scotty b
QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 30 2008, 06:19 PM) *

Rich

finger.gif Actually Rich I haven't told Mike but I'm going with a nice rootbeer metallic and a 3 color ( white yellow orange ) nike swoosh down the side shades.gif

BTW I talked to Tom today, Thank you smile.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(scotty b @ Oct 30 2008, 11:43 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 30 2008, 06:19 PM) *

Rich

finger.gif Actually Rich I haven't told Mike but I'm going with a nice rootbeer metallic and a 3 color ( white yellow orange ) nike swoosh down the side shades.gif

BTW I talked to Tom today, Thank you smile.gif

Dont you have like 4 gallons of "ferrari red" left over that is not exactly the right shade....that would look awesome really

Rich
Root_Werks
Oh man, I can't wait to see some color on this one!
jd74914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 30 2008, 08:06 PM) *

biggrin.gif I dare anyone to try and get Scotty to do a half assed job. I tried and he has gone wayyyy past what I was expecting, but he cant just do a bare minimum. That is looking great.

Jim D,

Here is a good link to get some of your corvair questions answered:
http://home.hiwaay.net/~langford/corvair/trial_assy.html

Search around on his page and you will find lots of info.

Thanks man. smile.gif
Spoke
Awesome job, Scotty. Can't wait to see paint on it.
scotty b
1 coat of sealer + 2 coats of color and Bobs yer uncle

scotty b
Hoping to do the body this coming week, if not it will be the following. I also will probably sand and re-shot the passengers door. For the last 2 weeks I keep getting ALOT of large pices of trash in most of what I have painted. Not sure where it's coming from but I need to track it down. The passenger door just got a sh*t load of crap in it, paint actually laid down alot better than the pics show, looks pretty much like a factory job other than the trash in it dry.gif

r_towle
QUOTE(scotty b @ Dec 7 2008, 06:53 PM) *

Hoping to do the body this coming week, if not it will be the following. I also will probably sand and re-shot the passengers door. For the last 2 weeks I keep getting ALOT of large pices of trash in most of what I have painted. Not sure where it's coming from but I need to track it down. The passenger door just got a sh*t load of crap in it, paint actually laid down alot better than the pics show, looks pretty much like a factory job other than the trash in it dry.gif

Stop smoking while your spraying...its picking up the ashes...

Seriously...change out your hoses, uncouple any hard lines and blow all the shit out. It settles in the lower bends and corners of the hard pipes...
Its rust in the pipes...BTDT..
If copper, it corrodes inside...BTDT...

I ended up finding some male/female disconnects for the copper that I had to sweat in the system so I can take it all apart once a year and blow all the shit out...
Seems a compressor creates shit from the reaction of compressing the air...no idea how.

Rich
scotty b
I drink when I paint, I don't smoke until afterwards, it's a celebratory thing smoke.gif

I keep all that clean, new hose and fittings yearly, dessicant evry 3-6 months. I have a feeling it is coming from the door filters, didn't happen until I had to start putting the heater outside the booth, first 2 times it was big hard chunks of something that had obviously floated down onto the panel, this time it is much smaller particles but still larger then the normal dust that happens. I take one filter out of the door for the heater to blow through, but I think some booth maintanence is in order. I have neglected the booth as a whole lately. It's OLD and VERY drafty. I have always had a problem with trash, due to the booths age, and wear, just not this bad until now.
Dr Evil
Oooooo smile.gif How cold is it there. It was 28 here and I stayed in the garage as long as I could today filling bolt orders. ffffffffuching cold.
scotty b
Phase 1 is now ( almost ) complete smile.gif
scotty b
I took the liberty of coating the lower 3-ish inches with rock gaurd to help protect it from road hazards. I tried to get a couple close pics so you can see what I'm talking about.

Dr Evil
Holy crap! Thats way too nice for me smile.gif

Sorry I couldnt stop by yesterday. After the 9 hour test, the 5 hour drive home in the rain could not wait. Then I watched 2 movies and went to bed at 3am....trying to reset my clock for my shift tonight from 11p-7a wink.gif

I am STILL working on getting the engine parts together dry.gif I think I finally got the valve locks thing worked out which will be a major last piece.
scotty b
N osweat, I was actually taping it up when you called, by the time I got yuor meaage you wre probably an hour away. Don't say it's to nice yet....you haven't seen it in person av-943.gif Trust me it still has dents and ripples in it rolleyes.gif I'm gonna re-paint both doors most likely as the body came out really clean and the doors had all the trash I was bitching about. Drivers isn't to bad but the pass DEFINITLY needs to be sanded dwon and re-shot. I can't let but so much go unsure.gif

So how'd the test go ?????
Dr Evil
The test was too long to gauge. I have no idea what it feels like to pass the second step of the licensing exam, I hope to never know what it feels like to fail it. My brain was like mush. It was really tricky in that the questions would give you a portrait of a patient, you would have to figure out what the condition was, and then they would ask you some obscure question about the condition. So, if you didnt figure out the correct condition, or know that obscure detail, you were screwed. I have been doing practice tests for about 2 mo so I was kind of used to it. I am off after next Fri and can schedule a trip down with parts, etc.
plas76targa
Hey Mike, give me call before you head down to scott's .. If I can get away and you guys don't mind the company ..
PeeGreen 914
Wow Scotty, that looks amazing. Doc, your going to have one sweet bus piratenanner.gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE(plas76targa @ Dec 12 2008, 08:11 PM) *

Hey Mike, give me call before you head down to scott's .. If I can get away and you guys don't mind the company ..

I thought about stopping by yesterday on my way home, but I just wanted to get home.

I would likely go down from more than a day, but I wouldnt mind your company smile.gif
rick 918-S
Nice work. thumb3d.gif
type11969
Looks sweet!
r_towle
Nice job Scotty

Rich
Spoke
shocked[1].gif

Very nice Scotty.
Dr Evil
I cant stop looking at the pics smile.gif
degreeoff
dude .......... need I say more? The memory of my fallen baby...sniff snifff.....

BTW I wrecked mine into a pole that did not move @ 40 mph and the bus faired well
BTW I used to love the original front seats as you could pop em out and take em to the camp site and use em as seats around the fire!!! I remember the last time.......and the US Marshal that busted us smokin dope....LOL lost my favorite double chamber bong that way.....those WERE the days
VaccaRabite
So, what color RUSTOLEUM is that, and which kind of foam rollers were you using?

Zach
So.Cal.914
smile.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Dec 14 2008, 05:50 AM) *

So, what color RUSTOLEUM is that, and which kind of foam rollers were you using?

Zach

Color is called ocean mist blue and I don't use rollers. Brushes with a proper technique ( ancient Chinese secret ) can be almost undetectable, except for when you lose a bristle in the paint or drop it on the ground and keep going. headbang.gif
scotty b
Did some booth maintenence, re-shot the pass door, came out MUCH cleaner this time piratenanner.gif Spent a couple late afternoons bolting it back together. Just need to get the glass in so it can get parked in the woods rolleyes.gif
r_towle
Alive and well, it now lives to ROT another day.

RIch
type11969
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/bttf/ima...ibyans_mall.jpg

All you need now is a shoddy bomb full of used pinball machine parts . . .

Well and the white paint to drop a bit lower.

Watch out for those Deloreans
Dr Evil
Haha, "derka derka derka!"
Shade Tree
QUOTE(type11969 @ Apr 10 2008, 06:44 AM) *

Jealous of those seats, look way more comfortable than the stock ones in my 76.

If you don't have a walk through, back seats from a vw gti make really great bench seats in the front of a bus. I had a leather gti rear seat in the front of my '66. Front mounts are on the seat but you have to make the rear ones.
Dr Evil
I chucked the Hon-duh seats that were in the bus. Too thick and ugly/dirty. Since I have access to 914 seats and have seen them installed, I am putting 914 seats in first. I will be removing and selling the stock seat covers for the rear and bunk as I will have custom ones made by my mother. They are in great shape, too.
maf914
Nice work, Scotty! smilie_pokal.gif

I was watching a Charlie's Angels movie on HBO yesterday (yeah, I know, but it was a slow day and they're really not bad looking laugh.gif ) and there was a scene where a car goes flying through the air and lands on a VW bus. Was that really necessary? These film makers were obviously not bus people. What a shame. confused24.gif
Dr Evil
I remember that scene, and that it pissed me off mad.gif

I figure I will start making my engine progress/regress notes in this thread as well as I can more easily find it and it is all in one place.

This weekend I checked the clearance on my my crank and rods and they were within limits.

Then I balanced my rods...or am half way through. Top ends were done and had a spread of 11g which is pretty crappy. Now they are all within 1g which is the limit of my equipment. I stopped with doing the bottom ends because I needed to check clearances within the case between the bottoms and the opposing parts. I figured if I needed to remove material from the bottoms then balancing them before this step would be worthless.

Checking clearance on the inner workings of the engine required the placement of two rods, pistons and cylinders. Putting the pistons in the cylinders was a bitch, but I was patient and managed to not break any of the rings. Clearance looks good for the 1st two rods and pistons. I need to remove a small amount of material from #2, but no biggie.

It was getting late and I was getting clumsy so I called it a night. Next I need to do the other 4 cyls, finish clearancing any little bits, disassemble everything and clean, then reassemble. Thats all rolleyes.gif

I knew I was getting clumsy when I knocked a p/c and rod set off the bench, but luckily it only chipped the skirt in a way that could be managed...gotta be more careful.
Dr Evil
Last night I did the rest of the clearance check and all looked good. I did notice that the cylinders were not turned down enough which left me with a .15" deck height. Kinda big, no? No worries, I will have the shop turn them down a little more once I get the heads and CC them so I can calculate the amount to be turned. Kinda sucks because it is gonna hold up assembly of the short block, but what ever.
Regarding the heads, I ordered the valve locks off line and the dealer told me Clevite doesnt make them anymore, but that he had a Melling part that matched. That turned out to be BS as the parts he sold me were 3/8 not 11/32. Only out $12 I decide to buy from a place that knows Corvairs, Corvair Ranch which is about 1.5 hrs away from me. I hope the locks will be here tomorrow and I can drop them off. With any luck I can pick up the heads on Thurs and start CCing them. Then, it is off to clean and assemble.
scotty b
SOOOOooo now for the surprise. Mike has had no idea what I have had up my sleeve and I just hope this doesn't backfire. unsure.gif But I just couldn't resist it smile.gif

I now presnt to ytou all. The OFFICIAL tranny waggin

Dr Evil
Oh HELL NO! Nothing a roller and some Rustoleum wont fix smile.gif Nice photoshop job. tongue.gif
r_towle
That is awesome...do the sides also...really big.
I think you might want to pinstripe that in pink...

Doc, go find an Agway store or a big horse supply store.
Buy a stall mat...its 5/8 thick rubber and all your stuff will bounce.
Keeps your feet warm also.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.