Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Doc's tranny waggin'
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34
Root_Werks
smilie_pokal.gif

Looks great!

We had a chance to see a few Type2's yesterday at a local VW show. Makes me want one!
Dr Evil
Youtube is a great resource. I found some videos that went over tuning my style of carb and now know I need larger squirters for the accel pump. Back firing through the carb (should be front firing) means it is too lean, go figure. Now squirter, change the cam a little in the accel pump, and adjust the idle mixture and I am in business, I think. The power valve is actually working, but I will be getting a 2 stage anyway for better economy. I am not building a drag racer. Paul and European Import Maintenance Center said that he could have it inspected this week when his guy gets back (bad back). I found that it is a $250 fine for driving without inspection stickers so I am limited on driving it around sad.gif
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 3 2010, 12:45 PM) *

I found that it is a $250 fine for driving without inspection stickers so I am limited on driving it around sad.gif

Eep! I hope you did not find that out the hard way.

Zach
KELTY360
smilie_pokal.gif Awesome work O Evil One. A bus is almost as cool as a 914, and that's saying a lot.
Dr Evil
I found out about the fine by asking Paul, before I attempted to drive my bus regularly. I will wait until I have an appointment with Paul before I drive it any distance.

I just got a vacuum gauge so that I can set the idle, figure out what power valve I need, and all kinds of data. I was talked out of a two stage power valve as they are mostly useful for light weight vehicles and would only rob power. The vac gauge will make tuning so easy, I will have time to work on other things to make it pretty/useful.
zymurgist
Good call. I could have had my bike on Saturday had I been willing to ride it with an expired tag... the PO rode it all the way from Annapolis (100 miles) with an expired tag... knowing my luck, I'd get pulled over in the 6 mile trip to my house.
Dr Evil
I FOUND THE SHRIEK! It was a leak on the rear drivers down tube. I need to sand it down flatter. smile.gif This changes everything with adjustments rolleyes.gif
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 3 2010, 06:06 PM) *

I FOUND THE SHRIEK! It was a leak on the rear drivers down tube. I need to sand it down flatter. smile.gif This changes everything with adjustments rolleyes.gif

Really? REALLY?

Thats crazy. I am playing the sound in my head, and I guess it could be a whistle. Must be a hell of a leak though.

Zach
scotty b
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 3 2010, 03:06 PM) *

I FOUND THE SHREK!:) This changes everything with adjustments rolleyes.gif

blink.gif huh.gif
Dr Evil
The gasket was acting like the paper part of a kazoo, only at higher pitch. Man, I do look like Shrek dry.gif
Dr Evil
Well, I sanded the flange down the best I could. The hole in the down tube is bigger than the hole in the head making the seating a bit of a bitch. I reinstalled it, I hope it works. I added some hi temp silly-cone to aid in sealing. While working on the tube I found a nice hole in the welds at the flange/tube interface rolleyes.gif I filled it with liquid steel. I also changed the accel pump cam back to stock in order to start at base line with the tuning. I am betting that I set everything richer to compensate for the lean condition caused by the leaks. Fun fun.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 3 2010, 09:47 PM) *

The gasket was acting like the paper part of a kazoo, only at higher pitch. Man, I do look like Shrek dry.gif

No no. Don't fix it. Learn to drive the car so that it can play the Benny Hill theme song!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK6TXMsvgQg

Zach
zymurgist
It's called "Yakety Sax."

Bunch of savages in this town...
VaccaRabite
I know what it is called. But most everyone knows it as "the Benny Hill song" so I was playing to the masses.

Zach
zymurgist
It would be amusing to hear it emanate from the engine compartment while driving down the road. laugh.gif
Dr Evil
I had that song in my head most of the day dry.gif
KELTY360
I tried to play it on my sphincter flute, but I couldn't hit the high notes. icon8.gif
Dr Evil
It is LEGAL! Paul and Jimmy at EIMC inspected the bus while I finished rebuilding a race gear box. The bus drove awesomely on the way there. I can pull up hill all day long and it wont flinch. Head temps stay between 280-305*, oil steady at 225*, and pressure between 20-30psi smile.gif I love having the gauges to make me feel confident. The carb still needs tweeking, and the exhaust has some leaks that need to be tightened, but it drives awesome smile.gif
VaccaRabite
This is great news!

Do they even do vehicle inspections in Washington County? They may not, each county is different, and seem to be more lax the farther left you go.
Root_Werks
driving.gif

Can I borrow it now?

driving.gif
markb
clap56.gif
zymurgist
w00t.gif
Spoke
driving.gif

Looking Good!

The number of pages on this thread is catching up with the Hot Chicks thread.
jsayre914
nice job mike!!!!!

now when i cut you off you wont have to cuss at me then climb under the bus, start it back up, then cuss some more and drive away rolleyes.gif

now come over to my house before you leave town, the girls really miss you guys stirthepot.gif
Dr Evil
Joe, the girls will get a ride in the bus, I promise. I can now put the interior in and it should be ready for joy rides in the near future. I know how much they like it smile.gif
nomore9one4
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ May 5 2010, 02:55 PM) *

This is great news!

Do they even do vehicle inspections in Washington County? They may not, each county is different, and seem to be more lax the farther left you go.

yes there is state inspection, but they may not have emissions. Nice work on the bus Mike! smoke.gif
Dr Evil
The bus is a 74 so no emissions anyway wink.gif
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Spoke @ May 5 2010, 05:57 PM) *

The number of pages on this thread is catching up with the Hot Chicks thread.

Of course it is. The Evil Bus is legendary. How many other people get their dinner interupted by fuching ELVIS, because he wants to talk you into selling your vehicle. How many vehicles were constructed with the possible ability to play Yakety Sax through the fuel induction system?

Its legendary!

Zach
Dr Evil
How many vehicles are powered by a Frankenstein German-American hybrid power plant that is at least 40 years old? smile.gif

I will try to shoot some video of it running and driving soon.
balljoint
How many other vehicles are getting a mural of a lewd and lascivious lady with a sword and armour and a purple dragon airbrushed on both sides?

BTW Doc you still haven't got back to me on the total number of snakes you wanted writhing at her feet. I can't finish the proofs until you confirm the details.

Very nice work. smile.gif
Dr Evil
blink.gif
zymurgist
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 5 2010, 11:56 PM) *

How many vehicles are powered by a Frankenstein German-American hybrid power plant that is at least 40 years old? smile.gif

You're too close to done. I think that engine needs a turbo.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(zymurgist @ May 5 2010, 11:08 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 5 2010, 11:56 PM) *

You're too close to done. I think that engine needs a turbo.

Its not done. Its passable for now is all. The carb and induction that Mike has on it is very similar to bolting a single progressive on a 914 just to gt it driving. The exhaust is just painted flex pipe. There is so much power yet to be found out of that engine with better induction and exhaust.

Well, that, and most of the interior is still sitting in my garage. smile.gif

AND there is the whole "its gotta go back to Scotty to get the top cut off and the pop top welded in" thing.

Its driving, but far from done.
Zach
zymurgist
Are you saying that it doesn't need a turbo? wink.gif
Dr Evil
Everything needs a turbo wink.gif

The 4bbl is actually far superior to a progy. dry.gif It is as done as it will be in the engine department for a while. It works very well as is smile.gif Better than stock!
shoguneagle
Read everything again on this thread! It is one of the best threads I have ever read and includes a lot of "stick-to-it" attitude, working in cold, meeting adverse problems, adapting and changing as necessary, traveling long distances, working normal jobs, going to school, studying, - - - - -I could keep going on.

The dream is in a working configuration and Dr. Evil and Vacca Rabite along with Scotty should be complimented on the excellent job and getting the job completed. I really liked the way the thread was written and the humor which goes along ways in helping in getting a project through its problem areas. It was really nice to see collateral support from others to help in fixing cars as well as supportive.

This thread shows me that anything and everything is possible if you are willing to try and meet problems. The problems are really challenges and require adjusting as necessary with the final being in nature.

I am not very good in expressing the things that I see and feel in this thread but with people such as the ones involved here, I think the future is very bright for Americans.

I really enjoyed the thread and it was very informative; keep it up!!

Thanks for letting me read it.
Steve Hurt
scotty b
You didn't tear up there did ya Steve? poke.gif laugh.gif

Zach & I only did this for Mike because he has " sensitive " information on us mad.gif ............ unsure.gif not together unsure.gif .............individually
VaccaRabite
We rock pretty damn hard. smile.gif
Dr Evil
Nice sentiment, Steve smile.gif

So, when I got home from the WCR I saw a large puddle of ATF under the bus biggrin.gif headbang.gif It turns out that the gasket sold to me by a vendor long ago (not Corvair Ranch) was for a cast aluminum pan dry.gif It did not seal much at all. So, I spent the wee hours of last night removing and replacing with the correct seal. I hope the bus will be up by about 24hrs of me returning. Then I can take the VUE down for maintenance, and the suby, and....

To ease my mind I started getting stereo parts for it smile.gif I had the head unit for it, Jakeodoule donated some nice 180w polk audio speakers he had, I got some similar 4 voice speakers for the rear, a 5 channel 700w amp and am awaiting to hear back on a subwoofer box/speaker combo.

Scotty, I am so swamped that if I make it out to Nags Head it will be a miracle. I may be able to make it out the last day and then drive to yoru shop to put the camper top on poke.gif I would really like to get the top on before I move.

My to do list includes:
- 6 transmission rebuilds (people always wait until the last minute)
- Fix bus issues (looking very promising)
- Fix suby (let the pain begin)
- Fix VUE (checkbook please)

Oh ya, pack and move on the 20th rolleyes.gif
Dr Evil
Perma-grin biggrin.gif

I finally got the damn carb sorted! An unusual engine takes an unusual carb setup. I ended up with 58 jets (will evaluate this later), a 4.5 power valve (vac was 6), and a 37 squirter. Some big numbers for a 6, and the stock 2.7 would have used the smaller, more conventional sizes, but with the extra 400cc I added happy11.gif I needed more food for my monster. This thing is unbelievable! It sounds like a V8 van.

Noel just drove it for the first time and she could not stop making noises and smiling. She cant stop saying how proud she is of me on my project and how much she loves it. She is really cool smile.gif wub.gif

I will try to shoot some video so y'all can see the thing run. It will not do it justice though as the bass of the engine will not adequately capture happy11.gif
VaccaRabite
I best be getting to drive it this weekend. smile.gif

Zach
Dr Evil
Hells ya! I just finished doing the sound deadening on the drivers door and now am mocking up my speakers smile.gif aktion035.gif I may have a stereo in it this weekend biggrin.gif

Chris has to drive this when he stops by. I think it will blow his mind happy11.gif
type11969
Yeah, I already know I am going to be kicking myself for not blatantly copying you. I really dig my camper special/stock fuel injection and it would have taken me a long time to get a vair project together. But I'm sure the power is pretty badass and I know you have much less $$$ in to your engine. Oh well. Looking forward to checking the beast out.

-Chris
Dr Evil
One little O-ring can really mess up a morning dry.gif

The story:

Since Noel enjoyed driving the bus so much, she was looking forward to driving it to work today (with me as a passenger). Well, if anything will break, she will cause it to. She is cursed and is the best test pilot. Problem #1, I had just hit reserve on the fuel gauge. Plenty of gas to get to work and the gas station. She mentioned that the fuel was low....Problem #2, I did not look at the gauge as I thought I knew what she meant. Problem #3, it was running like shit this morning confused24.gif We get to the hospital (where she works) and when I get out I smell gas, VERY STRONG. I look in the engine bay and find it sprayed with fuel headbang.gif The O-ring that seals the tube connecting the primary and secondary bowls of the carb, on the secondary side, has split and was allowing fuel to spew forth. Obviously not good. Soooooo, I commenced to repairing it in the fire lane, out side the hospital. Except, I did not have any sealer, or a new O-ring. dry.gif

So, as spots behind me opened up (semi OK parking for drop off and pick up) I pushed the bus back into them. Then, luckily, I saw my friend on his way to work and he lent me his car so I could go home and get another O-ring. When I returned, security was writing tickets for those vehicles left in the spots, unattended, for too long. I told the guy that I was just going to park my friends car (required me parking it behind the bus, leaving it, going into the basement to get Noel's ID for the lot, returning, driving to the lot, and walking back) and that I would be fixing and driving the bus away shortly. He was very cool and said no problem. smile.gif smilie_pokal.gif When I returned I had the bus fixed and running in less than 5min rolleyes.gif

So, the valuable lessons learned:

1) I need to keep a fire extinguisher in the bus at all times. This could have been bad.

2) I need to assemble a tool kit to carry at all times. All I had was a small pair of vice grips to use as a wrench rolleyes.gif

I went to sleep at 0330, awoke at 0800 to take Noel to work, and got home at about 1130 after this ordeal rolleyes.gif

Next<_<
Dr Evil
And the plot thickens headbang.gif

I was unable to get the trans pan to seal so I removed it to try again. That is when the shit hit the fan. I found burnt fluid, a nice metal sheen, 1/16 metal shards, and pieces of what was like a dremel cutoff wheel (the non reinforced ones). The weird dremel stuff does not match any of the materials from the trans or the torque converter (TC). The TC was the only thing not replaced and now I am thinking that it had contaminants in it dry.gif I went and bought a used tranz to throw in, but when I removed the pan the valve train fell out as all the bolts were missing biggrin.gif At that point, I figured I will just disassemble, clean and inspect the original one since it is easy and doesnt take too long. However, I am having to drop all of this crap in my drive way, at night so the old people on the rules committee dont see me. I am not sure how I am going to do it, but it will likely happen tomorrow PM.

I bought a rebuilt TC already. It should be here tomorrow. I will be adding a tranz cooler, and an oil cooler which should be showing up tomorrow as well. By the end of this I am going to be ready for residency and a break from wrenching dry.gif
zymurgist
It's always something... that bus is evil, I tell ya! EVIL! laugh.gif
VaccaRabite
Well, that explains the metal on metal noise we were hearing at times. I wonder what gave out?

Zach
Jakeodoule
Bummer,

Wish I could help you out like you helped me on my trans.
Remember the conversation about how you LOVE fixing stuff? huh.gif
jsayre914
Is everything fixed?? Everything on every vehicle ???

Moving day is comming, how can we help

wub.gif
Joe
Dr Evil
Um, no sad.gif I have been working every day at Paul's shop on the damn suby. It should be done this morning. The bus has been fighting me all the way as well. I just repositioned the torque converter again as it ended up misaligned. What fun. The bus is finally being put together and looks as if it will be in one direction this time.

Since my last post I have conceded to install AN fittings in the oil system and to mount the cooler under the bus up front. The 250 max oil temps may be "normal" for the corvair engine, but if I can make it cooler and protect the engine then I think it is a good idea. No rubber push on line could handle the 250* oil so the braided line with AN was a natural conclusion. I still need to install this and look forward to doing this tonight. I have installed a transmission cooler (I am planing on towing stuff with the bus to my new home). I wont be able to post pics for a while, too busy.

The bus can not run until I get a modified part from Root that will allow me to put the AN fittings into the block for send and return.

I hope to have everything pretty much buttoned up on Wed so that I can start to clean out the garage.

More later.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.