Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Doc's tranny waggin'
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34
Dr Evil
Here are the needles post paint.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Here is the tach seated in the assembly.
Click to view attachment

An extra wire to keep it in place, though it is not needed.
Click to view attachment

For the speedo I just needed to remove the metal lip on the side.
Click to view attachment
Dr Evil
The speedo glass fit perfectly in the empty spot on the cluster.
Click to view attachment

Here is the speedo seated and wired in place, with the rest of the cluster. The wide electrical tape is only necessary to hold the speedo steady. The whole assembly is stout.
Click to view attachment

Here are the cluster pics. I blacked out the head light and turn signal indicators inthe left cluster gauge since I will use the ones on the tach.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

And here are the painted needles of the oil T and P gauges. I dont like red needles, obviously. The blue LEDs work better with the white.
Click to view attachment
Todd Enlund
Doc, you missed it... I passed a split window single cab on the Interstate on the way to class today.
zymurgist
Nice mods. thumb3d.gif

You should have painted the inside fluorescent orange, though. Nothing cooler than red instrument lighting.
Dr Evil
No red mad.gif
zymurgist
Red instruments look great in a 2006 Acura. driving.gif

Also in classic Trans Ams. driving.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Sep 25 2009, 03:43 AM) *

Red instruments look great in a 2006 Acura. driving.gif

Also in classic Trans Ams. driving.gif

but not on necks poke.gif
VaccaRabite
Hey Scotty, dunno what yer boys down south were doing with all those busted windshields. But us northern boys got it in the first time w/o busting it up in the process.

poke.gif poke.gif
laugh.gif

Also, we moved the bus into my project bay of the garage tonight. My home has just been *slightly* de-redneckified. I'm down to only 1 non-operational vehicle up on blocks in my driveway! YAY!!!

Zach
scotty b
Head hung in shame....or maybe it was the different seal........ idea.gif
Dr Evil
Yup, after the first two attempts it went in the first time without any issue rolleyes.gif poke.gif
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Sep 29 2009, 11:05 PM) *

Yup, after the first two attempts it went in the first time without any issue rolleyes.gif poke.gif

I thought you agreed that we would uphold our masterful superiority for a few days before admitting that we had to take it out twice before getting it in right. Jerk.
laugh.gif

But, we did get it mounted w/o breaking anything. A plus.

Zach
type11969
Good work, now I know who to contact when I gotta swap my windshield out!

-Chris
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Sep 30 2009, 10:13 AM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Sep 29 2009, 11:05 PM) *

I thought you agreed that we would uphold our masterful superiority for a few days before admitting that we had to take it out twice before getting it in right. Jerk.
laugh.gif

But, we did get it mounted w/o breaking anything. A plus.

Zach

That was until Scotty conceded by hanging his head in shame so fast.

It is true, as soon as we high-fived I told Zach to post that is went in easily the first time just to mess with Scotty.
Dr Evil
Zach, I am surprised you didnt mention the PB blaster incident dry.gif
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Sep 30 2009, 01:49 PM) *

Zach, I am surprised you didnt mention the PB blaster incident dry.gif

I had forgotten that you tried (twice) to huff PB blaster and spray paint with your ass.

IPB Image

Zach
Dr Evil
PB blaster is like a fart silencer when added to the cheeks.
zymurgist
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Sep 30 2009, 04:06 PM) *

PB blaster is like a fart silencer when added to the cheeks.

Click to view attachment
Dr Evil
When we constructed the bar we were considerate that the engine not hang too low so as not to be exposed to anything. I think we are close if not better smile.gif
VaccaRabite
There is no doubt that we are better. The T4 pick is with bumper on. Yours is with bumper off. When we mounted the bumper on your bus, we could only see the very bottom of the bar. On the T4 bus, you see 1/2 the engine.

We bought ~4 extra ground clearance.

Zach
type11969
Really? Think that top pic is sans bumper. Nice work regardless though.
Dr Evil
Ya, top pic is no bumper as well.
VaccaRabite
Huh. It being painted threw me. Now that I look closer, there is no bumper (only ZOOL)

Zach
Leo Imperial
hide.gif Hi
Dr Evil
Who are you? blink.gif
plas76targa
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 18 2009, 10:31 AM) *

Who are you? blink.gif

I'll second that! Who is that guy? confused24.gif
jsayre914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 18 2009, 01:31 PM) *

Who are you? blink.gif

what if none of us are who we thought we were, if we were not who we are. blink.gif
VaccaRabite
Hey Mike, are you done fixing other peoples stuff enough to come work on yours again? I am going to need to put the 914 in the project bay before the snows come, so I figure you have ~ a month before the bus get evicted outside again. Both dailys need to be garaged for the winter - I HATE scraping windshields in the morning. :-)
Leo Imperial
Sorry wrong website.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Leo Imperial @ Oct 19 2009, 09:40 PM) *

Sorry wrong website.

Nonsence!
Dr Evil
Awe, Leo grouphug.gif We were just funning you. Dont leave smile.gif

Zach, I am busy this week with interviews, this weekend with rebuilds. Trust me, any time I get to work on it I will be there.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 19 2009, 10:38 PM) *

Awe, Leo grouphug.gif We were just funning you. Dont leave smile.gif

Zach, I am busy this week with interviews, this weekend with rebuilds. Trust me, any time I get to work on it I will be there.

Take your time. Till the Subaru is working again mad.gif ar15.gif I have to drive the 914 anyway. Tomorrow is going to be COLD. wacko.gif

But I need to get both dailys in the garage before snow comes, so you probably have ~ a month or so. I'm also crazy busy right now, so I understand not having the time...

Zach
Dr Evil
Ya, I am in Altoona right now for an interview in the AM. Wed I interview in Hershey, Thurs-Fri I interview in Beaver Falls. This week is hosed for work.
Dr Evil
I think I will steal away to do some bus work this weekend.
VaccaRabite
I'll be out Saturday running a bachelor party. Sunday I will be home, but buried in homework. You are welcome to come over either day (or friday as well) and I will try to make myself available.

Zach
Dr Evil
I wont need your help exactly. I will try to finish fit the tin and maybe even mock it up for welding so if you get time you can just tack it all together for me. The only other thing I will definitely need you for is the exhaust.
jsayre914
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 19 2009, 11:43 PM) *

Take your time. Till the Subaru is working again mad.gif ar15.gif I have to drive the 914 anyway.

Zach

what happend this time?? didnt you just put bookoo money into that suby??
Dr Evil
Ya, what is wrong with it now??? Something I/we can fix at your house?
jsayre914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 21 2009, 04:09 PM) *

Ya, what is wrong with it now??? Something I/we can fix at your house?

i got somthin you can fix at my house happy11.gif
Dr Evil
Take a number rolleyes.gif
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Oct 21 2009, 03:04 PM) *

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 19 2009, 11:43 PM) *

Take your time. Till the Subaru is working again mad.gif ar15.gif I have to drive the 914 anyway.

Zach

what happend this time?? didnt you just put bookoo money into that suby??

Yup. 4K for an engine rebuild in Feb.
Cylinder three is misfiring under load. (code P030)
Possible problems:
*clogged/dripping/malfunctioning injector
*malfunctioning ignition (bad coil pack, bad wire, bad and or fouled plug)
*Mechanical problem (bring money - F that sell the car.)
*valve adjustment.

Time I have to deal with it:
*Zero.

Goes into Stans Subaru out on 24 tomorrow at 8am. Hope it makes it there... sad.gif

I'll get a loaner from Stans while my car is in the shop. In the mean time I have been driving my 914. It needs some more tuning, but I am at the end of my knowledge base - and don't want to futz with it more until I get my IDF 40s to rebuild.

Mike, I can weld for you in between papers. I have two of them due next week (mon and wed.) sheeplove.gif Hell, I'm in for it just to sit and BS about crap that is not family/work/school.

Have I mentioned lately how ready I am to be done with freak'n school. I want my life back
Zach
Dr Evil
Your bitching to me....ME about school? If you want sympathy look in the dictionary between "shit" and "syphilis". Ya pansy dry.gif

biggrin.gif
type11969
Can I get in on the bellyaching? Adv dynamics and theory of elasticity round out my weekends nicely.
VaccaRabite
Woohoo! I heard from Stan's that my scoob is going to be a cheap fix, and I will have it back today.

Now, so long as I don't get the errant digit today at my physical, I have very little to be upset over. wink.gif

Zach
Dr Evil
Ooo, a physical. Cold hands = warm hearted doc, remember biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
Back on topic rolleyes.gif

Today I managed to install the dash and prep and paint the area where the rear seat goes in hopes of installing it to get it out of the way. I am hesitant to do the engine tin on my own. It daunting and I didnt want to make noise since Erin was home. Let see if I get time tomorrow after I do some transmission work.
VaccaRabite
I'll be around tomorrow (theo duty). I just got home (out of class early) and I am sorry I missed you today. Would have been nice if I even just got home in time to say hi. I am feeling a bit more hermit like then usual today.

I hope that you understand that you can move the mower out of the way while you are working. Right now things are packed in pretty tight while I try and make room for Erin's Pruis. I actually had the bay cleared when Erin wanted more stuff stored in the garage that I need to find a home for.

I'd really like to get the tin made up before the bus moves back outside as it will be easier welding in the garage. No extension cord voltage drops.
Zach
Dr Evil
Ya, I moved the mower originally.....but then I looked in the engine bay and though, "fuck this" and went to do the quiet work of dash install.

The mower can fit under the stairs once I get my VW gear box out of there. I have a buyer, but I need to know what it weighs. Over 100# and I can not ship it. I need to pick it up tomorrow and clean out under your stairs.

I bought you a screw driver set from HF so I dont have to go searching for bits any more dry.gif Your welcome. I cleaned the garage a little today as well.

I figure tomorrow I can stop by Joe's and help him put his heads on, after that he wont need me, and then stop down to pick up the spare gear box.

Question, do you think you have room for my big bike in your garage? I need it out of my small garage and it is just taking up space. It is an easy fit into a small space in your garage.
Dr Evil
I like that when I look at the bottom to see who is viewing this thread, I know and have met 5 out of 6 of you smile.gif
type11969
hide.gif
VaccaRabite
Once the 914 moves into the project bay I will have room for your BMW in the garage. It has to live in the project bay - too much other stuff in the parking bay.

Bike could go under the stairs, if that got orged a little better. I don't want to put it in the parking bay as Erin tends to bump into things when parking.... (which is why tires are in front of the air compressor, and my 914 is in front of the trailer).

Once the 914 is in the project bay again, I'll have a bit more room to store stuff. By spring I hope to be able to move my truck around to get in and out of the project area easier.

Zach

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.