Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Doc's tranny waggin'
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34
Leo Imperial
Yeah well mine was off the road for 2 years and now its back and you are still building this monster??? OK OK it is pretty I will give you that but Brah come on you need to start enjoying!

Oh and Hi Chris. The 2073 rocks and I can fly at 80 without issue.
scotty b
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 26 2009, 06:47 PM) *

I like that when I look at the bottom to see who is viewing this thread, I know and have met 5 out of 6 of you smile.gif

Yeah and those 5 have all probably worked on this abortion of a vehicle poke.gif
Dr Evil
Coolio
VaccaRabite
Its cool. We will need to rethink things if your registered vehicles equal mine, though. Counting the trailer and the eventual BMW we are at a 4:3 ratio. poke.gif

Honestly, so long as I can move my stuff around, Erin does not complain too loudly and the neighbors don't start bugging me, it does not bother me.

Zach
scotty b
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 26 2009, 07:02 PM) *

Coolio

HUH ??
type11969
QUOTE(Leo Imperial @ Oct 26 2009, 06:57 PM) *

Yeah well mine was off the road for 2 years and now its back and you are still building this monster??? OK OK it is pretty I will give you that but Brah come on you need to start enjoying!

Why hello sir. Nice work, I'll be interested to hear how it does in the 914. Got a head temp gauge on it? Oil temp? Curious what the temps are like pushing the bus around. Are you running 2.0 heads?

I bit the bullet and got a camper special for my westy. Expensive, yes, but it was the best compromise of time off the road and cost. I generally cruise in the 70-75 range unless I am by myself. Any faster than 75 and the passengers start to complain about noise! Gotta do some insulation work . . .

East Coast Camping expedition next summer?
Dr Evil
I am down to camp. I will tow mine there dry.gif
Leo Imperial
Still in the process of getting everything dialed in. I'll let you know the temps once all set. Now I have an itch for a new set of gauges alla Evil. Damn that looks good and I have a set, but not the Evil touch idea.gif

Camping is a damn good idea. Planning on a few trips this coming year. Should be booking a week in Montauk in the next few days/weeks. Hither Hills on the beach, it's an awesome place. Books up months in advance. Visitors will be welcome.

Also want to head to the North and West within NY state for a multiple stop trip.

Flanders is another not to be forgotten

Mike you gotta get that bad boy rollin under it's own power!
jimtab
QUOTE(Leo Imperial @ Oct 26 2009, 07:57 PM) *

LEO! How the hell are you....I haven't seen your name in a while....still loving and livin' on the East coast?
Leo Imperial
QUOTE(jimtab @ Oct 27 2009, 10:44 PM) *

LEO! How the hell are you....I haven't seen your name in a while....still loving and livin' on the East coast?

Yo Jim! Lovin it like you can't imagine.... Why you got a job for me? beerchug.gif
jimtab
QUOTE(Leo Imperial @ Oct 29 2009, 06:24 PM) *

QUOTE(jimtab @ Oct 27 2009, 10:44 PM) *

Yo Jim! Lovin it like you can't imagine.... Why you got a job for me? beerchug.gif

Sure, you want to work in a Commercial/Industrial Hardware Store starting at about 10-12/hr?? I didn't think so. We may get to see you next summer when I drive the teener to the East Coast after I retire, always wanted to do it and I'm gonna. Many folks to see and visit, and I want to get to see the Canadian Maritimes, maybe catch the Targa Newfoundland or something....may squat in N. Mass. for a month or so to see the autumn....etc. As long as my 201K doesn't become a 101K..... huh.gif
Dr Evil
Alright you two homos, take your love fest off line and stop messing up my build thread KMA.gif tongue.gif

Here are some pics I had not posted yet. Between interviews and rebuilding gear boxes I have had no time for the bus. Hopefully soon......before the snow falls. sad2.gif

plas76targa
Mike - wassat sound deadin' material you used? (fergive me if I missed that in an earlier post)
Dr Evil
I am using a few things. The black sheets are a brand that I forget and the wrappers are at Zach's. The silver stuff is Fatmat and I am putting in some silver bubble wrap over that.
Leo Imperial
Nice work. Gonna be quiet in there. I have opted not to install any in mine. With 3 kids it gives Liz and I a nice ride. On the highway we can only hear each other and not the kids.
Dr Evil
So, I managed to get away for a few hours yesterday to move my bus out of Zach's garage so he could put his car in there. The sticking point on this conversion has been the engine tin as I wanted to make an elegant set that mated perfectly from the engine to the original curvy-assed lines on the bus. I hereby officially concede that I will not do this. What a PITA to do and it would take more man hours than the rest of the damn bus. So, I am giving in a cutting the drivers side flush and making simple, effective, quick engine tin....when I get time dry.gif I will just be using 22GA steel, cut off disks and some tin snips. All me, no need for help, no need for an engineering degree. I feel better already smile.gif

The next step is to drop the engine again so that I can finish up the engine bay, mounts, etc. Then install the engine, make the tine, put the wires, cables, etc up to the heart and then turn the key and poop myself.
jsayre914
bye1.gif

Glad to hear it Mike. Anything I can do to help. parts to clean up etc. My garage is way too clean latley.
type11969
Only thing that could suck is the vin stamped in the metal you might be suggesting to cut out
Dr Evil
Ya, I have been thinking about that. I think I can make a work around for it. I dont want to cut and move it. That would look suspicious.

Joe, you are never free to help out man. You have kids, dogs, wife.
shoguneagle
How come you people are not working on and updating this thread???? I need my daily "reading room" material to keep updated in the world. Retirement and cold weather are pure hell when you do not get the "proper reading room material". Get back out there in the "cold weather" and keep an "old man" happy!!!

Seriously, enjoy reading the thread and the accomplishments that are being made. It should be noted that these activities are being done by people with outside, pressure commitments. I do enjoy the antics and comments to those who are accomplishing their work, education, family, and hobby involvements.

Now, get back out in the cold (probably snow by now) and get me some more "reading room material".

In other words, keep up the good work and providing us "outsiders" with entertainment.

Steve Hurt
VaccaRabite
Well, mainly as we are all slammed with school and work, and don't have time to go out and play with the cars in my backyard.

By the way, Mike. Take note. My semester is OVER on Wednesday!!!!!!!!!!!!111!!!1one!

So, in theory at least, I'll be less stressed at at home every night to help out. No more classes till the Second week of January.

Zach
Dr Evil
I am sad to see snow upon my return to the East. sad.gif I was hoping to have it running by now. But, I am back from my trip and ready to rock. I end my semester on Dec 20 and will be even more involved. Any spare time that I am not studying or building boxes for customers will be spent with the bus smile.gif I have 3 boxes to catch up on.
Dr Evil
Well, I made it down this early evening and got a few things done. I started cutting out the engine tin and it is looking very promising. I need to get the engine back in the car for fitment. Also, I cleaned up and painted the intake runners. I tried to use MAP gas and a braising rod to fill in any defects in the inside of the tubes, but after several attempts I gave up and figured that they were fine and I was being too particular about everything. I bought some wiring stuff to make a harness that will fit my engine and the buses harness. I also painted the bumper mounts so that they are ready to go on and are protected from rusting. It was cold, but the propane heater kept the garage livable and the paint warm enough to dry. The weather is supposed to turn to kaka tonight. That was it for now.
rick 918-S
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Dr Evil
Ya, ya. I know. I didnt feel like it. It really was miserable working in that garage in the cold alone in the silence sad.gif I forgot my iPod. I hate winter....
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 8 2009, 11:13 PM) *

Ya, ya. I know. I didnt feel like it. It really was miserable working in that garage in the cold alone in the silence sad.gif I forgot my iPod. I hate winter....

You were over last night?

Dang, I did not know. I usually notice you drive up.
On the other hand, Theo was sick and cranky, and I got some decorations up inside, so maybe it was best that I did not notice. Would have rather been playing with cars instead of screaming toddlers with ear infections.

Zach
zymurgist
I have a propane heater if y'all need it. It's the kind that looks like a long tube and you point it where you want the heat.
Dr Evil
Zach has a propane heater that I used. It was fine, but I had to divert it to the parts to be painted rolleyes.gif

Zach, I am surprised you didnt hear me. I was using air tools and your compressor kept going off. You must have some good sound insulation smile.gif I was there from 4pm to 8:45.

Maybe more on Thurs.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 9 2009, 02:09 PM) *

Zach has a propane heater that I used. It was fine, but I had to divert it to the parts to be painted rolleyes.gif

Oh! Cool, that means it works. aktion035.gif
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 9 2009, 02:09 PM) *

Zach, I am surprised you didnt hear me. I was using air tools and your compressor kept going off. You must have some good sound insulation smile.gif I was there from 4pm to 8:45.

Had to be after 4 when you got there, as I got home at 4:20. smoke.gif
Pretty much Erin pressed me right into service with Theo. He only seemed to be not screaming last night when I let him use me as a jungle gym. Poor guy, I hope he is having a better day today.

Still, I can't believe that I totally never realized that you were here. slap.gif Say hi next time, if only so I don't feel like a doofus when I find out the next day I had company while I was home.

Zach
zymurgist
maybe you shouldn't have stopped for 420 laugh.gif
Dr Evil
I figure that I am over there on my schedule, not yours so I dont want to bother ya'll by knocking on the door if you are having some family time, etc. I go there at 4:30ish.
VaccaRabite
Dude, we are friends. If I'm busy, I'll kindly tell you to fuck off for a few minutes (or hours, etc) until I am unbusy. laugh.gif

If my car is in the drive, it is safe to say hello.

I'll be around tomorrow afternoon, maybe friday afternoon too. I think.

Zach
Dr Evil
I am planning around weather, school, and work. Tomorrows forecast seems reasonable for work outside on the bus (wiring). I need to see if I can get some gear boxes done tonight smile.gif I need the room and one of them peed all over the place dry.gif I tell them to empty them first, that is my only request, and still I get full ones the fuck up my shit mad.gif
Dr Evil
Oh, I did try to call you from the garage...
jsayre914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 9 2009, 05:11 PM) *

and one of them peed all over the place dry.gif I tell them to empty them first, that is my only request, and still I get full ones the fuck up my shit mad.gif

I had a cat that peed all over my shit once bye1.gif
zymurgist
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Dec 9 2009, 06:29 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 9 2009, 05:11 PM) *

and one of them peed all over the place dry.gif I tell them to empty them first, that is my only request, and still I get full ones the fuck up my shit mad.gif

I had a cat that peed all over my shit once bye1.gif

Once.

IPB Image
Dr Evil
I did use cat litter to clean it all up dry.gif
plas76targa
Boy I wish K and I had bought the house in Gettysburg. At least I would have been another 45 minutes closer and you'd have one more 914 nut hanging around.
OT - thinking about having a holiday gathering. You guy's interested?
zymurgist
Depends on when. I am out of here on the 18th so I probably won't make it.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(plas76targa @ Dec 10 2009, 09:42 AM) *

Boy I wish K and I had bought the house in Gettysburg. At least I would have been another 45 minutes closer and you'd have one more 914 nut hanging around.
OT - thinking about having a holiday gathering. You guy's interected?

Interested. Yep- but no promises that we would be able to show. We would try, though - you know how holidays can get...

Zach
Dr Evil
interested
zymurgist
Hey Matt, if you do this while I'm out of town, can I drop off a transmission at your house for Mike?
Dr Evil
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Dec 10 2009, 01:09 PM) *

Hey Matt, if you do this while I'm out of town, can I drop off a transmission at your house for Mike?

But then you wont be able to see your new motorcycle idea.gif
zymurgist
LOL. Well, I was only thinking about getting the transmission to you as quickly as possible (but realizing that you'd be unlikely to get to it over the holidays anyway). I can run it up, but it's looking more like early next year at this point.
crash914
Yep, lets have a holiday meeting.....
VaccaRabite
During a manic cleaning session (yes, I was cleaning my garage to avoid actually doing meaning full work on my winter 914 project list. it was *really* cold in my shop, and I did not want to start running more sound proofing until I warmed up some...) Mike was walking around my garage losing things, and I would go and find them a few mintues later. This is noteworthy, as it USUALLY goes the other way around. But, I found his mug of hot cocco, and the corviar carburator that has been lost in plain site since around August. Mike was able to find the intake manifold that he lost, but only because I had not gotten that that side of my shop yet.

Also, I (who knows very little of auto electrical craftsmanship, and what I know I learned from Mike) was able to decipher the starter wiring diagram before before he was!

Yes, I am gloating. Suck it!

The painted silver intake runners look awesome, and the rear and side tins are in - though they may need dome final trimming. We need to get the engine bar cleaned and coated so we can rehang the engine to make the front tins.

Zach
Dr Evil
Even a broken clock is right 2x a day jerkit.gif
Dr Evil
Here are the latest pics of the carb mated to the engine. I made a carb mount for it from e plate steel and a hand held dremel ('caus I rock). I need to make a bell crank assembly to transfer the motion of throttle cable pull from the left of the engine to the right. Not an issue as the parts showed up today. I will need Zach to do a small bit of welding, but after I get that set up we should be able to run the engine on the test stand smile.gif
Dr Evil
And some more trial fitting and final fitting.
VaccaRabite
IPB Image

It is snowing like mad today. But so cold and windy that it won't stick to anything to windward. No snow of the roof of the bus or truck (and very little on the windward slope of my driveway.)

What I thought was cool was how the wind was swirling into the bed of my truck. Even the bed has been mostly swept free of snow. Where the wind cant reach, though, the snow is all the way to the top of the tail gate. No higher, though, as then the wind gets it and blows it away.

Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.