Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Doc's tranny waggin'
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34
balljoint
Don't use anything that doesn't specifically say that it is for fuel.
Dr Evil
It says that it is for toluene, mineral oil, etc. The PTFE is fuel proof so I do not know why they would not say use for fuel unless they dont want the liability of the tuners using it. confused24.gif
Dr Evil
For reference 52515K21 is the part number at McMaster:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/118/261/=h0lzuc

Looking into other hoses they offer, there is one that has ends already made to it and is basically the same hose, but it has carbon black in the coat to dissipate the static that can be generated with fuel. This is likely the reason they dont fuel rate the above hose.
Mike Bellis
Could you use a -3 turbo oil feed line? Here's an example from ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/T3-T4-T70-TO4E-T60...=item3f15ec3797

They come in various lengths. search "turbo oil feed line".
Dr Evil
That is the same stuff that McMaster is offering, just with the ends on. I need a few 5' lengths. I did the math and I basically spend the same if I order the hose and fittings and assemble myself for those hoses. Actually, I probably spend more as the banjo fittings dont come with the 8mm bolts.

I wish I had my lathe here so I could make the 12mm double banjo bolt. The ones that the guy I am trying to order from has look home made.

Looking bad for completion by end of next week. I will be calling the local hydraulic supply store tomorrow as well.
Dr Evil
Here is a pic of the bolts.
scotty b
Rent a uhaul truck and trailer. Tow the bus down and use my place to work on it. I can help inbetween other jobs and at night. Adam could be here all day on Monday to help confused24.gif
Dr Evil
Man, that is tempting, but would probably be metric $$$. I will look into it.
Dr Evil
Man, that is tempting, but would probably be metric $$$. I will look into it.
Dr Evil
Also, you do realize where the bus is parked and that it is not running, right? How would I get it off of the plateau, down the driveway, and onto a trailer???
scotty b
park trailer at the bottom of the drive, get in the bus, get Leon and Heidi and the offspring to shove. Ride bus onto trailer Easy peasy lemon squeezy beerchug.gif
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(scotty b @ Apr 8 2012, 07:12 PM) *

park trailer at the bottom of the drive, get in the bus, get Leon and Heidi and the offspring to shove. Ride bus onto trailer Easy peasy lemon squeezy beerchug.gif

Doc, get it to Hershey and I can get it down to Scotty from there. I will either have a trailer with me or my tow dolly.
Dr Evil
Shoe, taking to Hershey would be the same as taking it to Scotty. If I can get the fuel fittings then the bus can drive. The only reason to get it to Scotty is so I can work on it while I am down there before Hershey.
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 8 2012, 08:22 PM) *

Shoe, taking to Hershey would be the same as taking it to Scotty. If I can get the fuel fittings then the bus can drive. The only reason to get it to Scotty is so I can work on it while I am down there before Hershey.

I pretty much knew that but as your friend it was still my duty to offer to help anyway I could. confused24.gif
Dr Evil
Going for A hail Mary. I have some of the stock type nylon fuel tubing. It looks like I can still get some at various places. I did my 911 engine in the 914 with this stuff and it worked fine with my assembly. So, I can make the current setup work while awaiting to see if there is better. Stay tuned as all I have on hand is 2mm ID and I need some other sizes, but I am off tomorrow so I can go forage for the other sizes.

Lets see.
Dr Evil
Well that was a waste. dry.gif Napa site lists the hard nylon hoses I need but when I call they are "obsolete" so they do not have them.

Next.
Dr Evil
McMaster has the nylon hoses listed. Lets see.
Dr Evil
After fiddling around with this for a while, it is still no use as I need the special fittings from the fuel pump to the accumulator to the dist. headbang.gif Only one guy that I know has this.
Katmanken
Cheer up!

You can always drive your spare van. biggrin.gif

On second thought, that would be an incentive to finish the VW.
Dr Evil
So, for $50 I can get all the hose from McMaster to rebuild the system to stock. I have just bought the 12mm banjo I needed for the fuel pump output, now all I need to figure out is what fittings are on the pressure accumulator and where to buy them.

Anyone know what they are called and where I can score a set?
Dr Evil
Ordered the hose, ordered the 12mm banjo, here are the fittings I need. I can use ones cut from a CIS line if any one has some smile.gif These are for use with regular fuel line.

scotty b
take the accumulator to Lowes and go to the plumbing section. Tons of brass pipe thread fittings. I can almost guarantee that is what you need.....almost...........
Dr Evil
WTF, I got nothing to lose at this point.
Dr Evil
Big surprise, Lowes had nothing. Tractor Supply had hydraulic fittings that were close, but I need metric headbang.gif
Dr Evil
Scotty, to tow the bus to your shop will cost about $500 less gas. No way.

On my way to OH tomorrow I will be passing a parts yard and will see if I can be victorious in finding the fittings on the stuff I need. Still not giving up. Hershey is my new goal as I do not see Scotty's as a possibility.
Katmanken
Got a truck hydraulic repair place nearby? They stock tubing, fittings, accumulators, and such for big truck brake, air, oil, and water lines. Also bend lines, make custom stuff, lift gate hydraulics, etc. Volvo-White makes trucks so maybe metric parts available too. Got to keep those big rigs running. biggrin.gif

Also try hydraulic repair parts stores. They made hoses and stuff for backhoes, etc. I found steering rack seals there that fit a Honduh.

Mebbe you get lucky sailor.
VaccaRabite
Its expensive, but could you convert over to AN fittings and hook to standard (ethanol rated) FI fuel line? AN4 or AN6 would get you what you need, and is easily found.

Zach
Dr Evil
I went to a hydraulic shop today and they did have the fittings, but only in crimp. One hose from the fuel pump to the accumulator would cost me $69. Then, I would have to figure out how I would get form the accumulator to my distributor as nothing they have would work.

I know I can get fittings from the UK....its just a time thing.
Dr Evil
For instance:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Metric-Conical-Hos...=item41608a5a86
rick 918-S
Is this what your looking for? After seeing the link I looked through my stash and found these. The only thing is I'm not sure the fitting is metric. I tried to screw it on about 6 other male fittings I have in my brass stuff and it wouldn't thread on stuff that I know is not metric.... confused24.gif It's a crap shoot. shades.gif
tdgray
Doc.... did you try summit racing?

I remember buying metric fittings from them long ago for the british cars.... of course it is local to me.... I can run up there for you if need be.
Dr Evil
I made it to the junk yard today on my way to Plain City, OH. I found the only VW there with CIS and raided every fitting I could find. I also raided a few MBZ for parts, but their systems are all hard line so few fittings. The verdict? I have not been able to find the large swivel fitting for the pressure accumulator, probably because there is only one on the cars with it.

Dont fear! I have a solution! I am going to cut the threaded neck off of the large fitting on the accumulator, and weld on an appropriate fitting. If you cant understand what I am saying, just stand by. Its gonna be awesome smile.gif

With this, I stand a chance of making it to Scooter's with the bus.

Let us pray........ hands.gif
scotty b
I'll have the van gassed up and the trailer attatched thumb3d.gif
rick 918-S
Just throw that accumulator in the trash now and save the van from the horrible fire that will ensue when the weld fails and hi pressure fuel sprays all over everything.

Seriously, Just find a wrecked Volvo and get the correct fitting.
Dr Evil
Well, arent you a ray of sunshine dry.gif

Wait and see.
dlee6204
I'm kinda confused because I think you are making this more difficult than it needs to be. You only need a barb fitting for the outer large connector on the accumulator right?

Click to view attachment

#30733 in this photo right? Five minutes on google and it looks like you can get it here...

http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts...-injection.html

$14.60 for the bigger one,
$11.96 for the smaller one (#30732)
Not exactly a bargain but better than trying to weld on an accumulator.

When I did the CIS system for my car, I had no problem finding any of the fittings or even adapting any of the parts to fit. confused24.gif
Jeffs9146
I think you are making this more difficult than it needs to be.

agree.gif
If you use the stock 3.0L lines and the stock fuel filter you can just adapt the line coming into the filter!
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 11 2012, 07:35 AM) *

Well, arent you a ray of sunshine dry.gif

Wait and see.

Don't mean to be a complete jerk but I have seen your welding. There is no way "I" would weld on an accumulator. First the guts will not survive the heat and second unless you have a tig you will stand about a 10% chance that the fitting will not leak at the weld someplace or crack under high pressure and vibration. Some problems shouldn't be solved with a welder. Have you thought of maybe rethreading the accumulator with a fitting you can actually get?
Dr Evil
Alright, mother. I found the connector at a parts yard in Columbus, OH. Game on!

Dlee, that is the site I tried to order from, and where I got the picture from, and that is the guy who has not been returning messages after the tornado hit his area.

Jeff, if I had the whole CIS setup then I wouldnt need the fitting confused24.gif I didnt have that fitting, that is why I needed it.

Oh and Rick, the welding would have been nut to nut and I bet it would have worked, but no need to mess with that now.
dlee6204
thumb3d.gif Glad you got it. I forgot you mentioned that place in Texas.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Apr 11 2012, 10:50 AM) *

I think you are making this more difficult than it needs to be.

agree.gif
If you use the stock 3.0L lines and the stock fuel filter you can just adapt the line coming into the filter!

You know what is neat about this pic? The fittings on your accumulator are all the same, and are of the available size headbang.gif

I have the parts all cobbled up, now the hard part is that the large barbed fitting is way bigger than the one it goes to. So, I either need to make a hose with a reducer (likely) or I dont know.
Dr Evil
Update! Jeff, your pic helped out a lot. I didnt know that the smaller center input was the input. I thought the big one in was the input. This will make it possible for me to plumb it as it. smile.gif
rick 918-S
I'm so relieved Mike. You may have been successful but the risk is not worth the reward here. Carry on,,, carry on.
Dr Evil
grouphug.gif
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 11 2012, 06:03 PM) *

Update! Jeff, your pic helped out a lot. I didnt know that the smaller center input was the input. I thought the big one in was the input. This will make it possible for me to plumb it as it. smile.gif

Yep it took me a while to figure out which fitting fit where! I got everything in a box from the pump to the engine but nothing labled. I did have to cut a few lines to attach to the ss lines and from the pump to the tank but it does work!

I even paid for some banjo stuff I didn't end up using because I already had it.

I pulled my engine today so I can fix the vacume and oil leaks!!
Dr Evil
You took the upper and lower dash off to get the engine out???
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 12 2012, 06:24 AM) *

You too the upper and lower dash off to get the engine out???

No those are extras with cracks!! beerchug.gif
Dr Evil
Some update:

I attempted to insert fittings into the 1.8mm (2mm) ID line that I bought and there is no way that is going to happen. I dont know what voodoo the Germans used to do it, but the tip of the fittings are about as big as the hose. So, I tried it with the 2.8mm line and it barely fits to start, but I made it work. I took two blocks of wood, clamped them together, drilled a hole down their interfaces just a bit smaller than the 3/16" OD of the nylon line, and then clamped the line in the blocks. Once clamped, I used my hydraulic press to apply the direct force necessary to push the fitting into the tube.

I have some more tubing that is due to be here either today or tomorrow so I will leave the line making as the last step.

I have the right 3/4 of the tin done with the front, back and right side.

I have riveted/bolted some metal to the airfilter box to keep it straight and allow for solid mounting.

Back to work.
Dr Evil
OK, I am nearing the end of my time. I got the tins done for now. They aint pretty but they only need to last 6hrs to Scooter's. Transmission hoses hooked up. Transmission shifter cable routed, I will hook it to the tranz tomorrow when I change the pan on it. Axles on and sealed. Center section of the intake all assembled with TB, CSV, AAR port. Mean looking piece of work smile.gif I got the fittings to change the big out to a little out.

Still on the to-do list:
- Change tranz pan and connect shifter cable
- Design and build throttle linkage
- Make all fuel lines (I hope UPS shows up early)
- Route vac and air hoses.
- Go through the wiring in the cabin, and engine bay and hook up or remove stuff.
- Wire up the CSV, AAR, and WUR to power. Oh ya, install TTS for the CSV.
- Exhaust
- Figure out if I have to goof with the oil lines or if I have all the parts (since I removed the manifold from the circuit).
- Mount the CIS air box and dist
- Finish making the air tube so that it accommodates a tilted TB.
- Battery....I should probably charge it
- Add oil and ATF

I cant think of anything else.

A cool note, for the throttle I am going to try and make a cable extension off of the tranz bell crank using a bicycle brake cable. I bought a set of 4; front and rear brake, and two shifter cables for $5 at Wally World. They are Bell, not a knock off either smile.gif This ought to be fun.
Dr Evil
Still on the to-do list:

- Design and build throttle linkage
- Make all fuel lines (I hope UPS shows up early)
- Route vac and air hoses.
- Go through the wiring in the cabin, and engine bay and hook up or remove stuff.
- Wire up the CSV, AAR, and WUR to power. Oh ya, install TTS for the CSV.
- Exhaust
- Figure out if I have to goof with the oil lines or if I have all the parts (since I removed the manifold from the circuit).
- Mount the CIS air box and dist
- Finish making the air tube so that it accommodates a tilted TB.

- Add oil and ATF

No idea how I am going to pull this off in 6 hrs. I have to leave around 6pm as I have to be fresh (enough) for the clinic tomorrow. Ugh.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.