Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Doc's tranny waggin'
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34
VaccaRabite
Oops. I needed the corded drill inside the other day, and it is down in my workshop in the basement. I'll bring it out the next time I think about it - which will probably be when you remind me that you need it the next time you are over. ;-)

Zach
Dr Evil
All of the action last night seemed to be on the drivers side. I made up an exhaust tip for that side and began install of the rest of the drivers seat.
Dr Evil
Last one showing how well the captains chair fits in my install. Very comfy!

Also, I wish I could find a stainless exhaust tip that had a 45* bend in it. Anyone know of a place? I havent really searched yet
scotty b
Need to make some reverse lake pipes lol-2.gif
Dr Evil
I thought about it, but no.
GS Guy
Doc,

This place has lots of tips to choose from. Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but quality is excellent on the tips I got from them:
http://www.verociousmotorsports.com/Shop-b.../Exhaust-Tips_4

Jeff
scotty b
rolleyes.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(scotty b @ Apr 15 2010, 04:49 AM) *

rolleyes.gif

Placed here. ( my bad ass photoshop skills at work. Don't be jealous)
MDG
Bitchin'!

Click to view attachment

oh dear - looks like we have a winner!

Click to view attachment
GS Guy
Thinking more along the line of a set of Zoomies on either side!
Disturb the peace baby!! happy11.gif

(Looking for a picture/source but can't find these any more.)
Dr Evil
Well, Wilchek came over so I could rebuild his transmission today and we finished early (from 1-6pm) due to him helping out a lot. So, Dan wanted to go help me work on the bus. "Theoretically" I could have driven the bus home tonight if I filled the tranz with fluid and finished the seat mount. Theoretically. What actually happened is that all of the rear lights worked perfectly.....until the smoke started pouring out from under the instrument cluster dry.gif

1- The headlight switch grounded to the instrument case = 1st poof. I figured it out and rectified it by covering the wire with shrink wrap where the insulation melted away.

2- When I pulled the hazard switch to check it, sparks shot out. Then smoke. Then nothing. Rule #1, never trust previous wiring. I transferred wires from the old switch to the new one number by number. They were all wrong. Big time wrong. Well, new switch tomorrow. dry.gif

3- After all of this, the 15 pin plug I used to attach the gauge cluster became a 13.5 pin connector. The original wire from the headlight switch that grounded was the power wire to the gauge lights, which was why they went out, and why the pin in the connector vaporized.

One overwhelming question is, why did none of the fuses blow??? Looks like I need to un-fuck some DAPO wire work rolleyes.gif +1 day of work (at least)

In other news, the bus went into reverse! smilie_pokal.gif so that issue is handled for now. The alt still squeals but Dan and I both firmly believe it is the belt and I will address that later. Dan wants me to put a bar of soap to it, why not?
messix
i like to use candles.... wax doesn't wash away like soap does.
wilchek
I have to say that after seeing the bus I really want one. The engine sounded sweet. It was a shame that we fried some of the wiring. I guess it is not just a 914 thing. There was enough smoke to make a Cheech and Chong movie. Overall, a small stumble in a long race. I hope you got the parts you needed.
Dr Evil
It still smells of magic electrical smoke. rolleyes.gif

I checked the wiring and itis all how it should be so I do not know how the fuse for the hazards did not blow. I think the switch was bad to begin with and me sparking it, then opening it removed any hope of getting a new one for free dry.gif

I finished the seat mount last night and wired in the two gauge pod. I forgot the molex connectors, though. I took the inst cluster home to do it here. I also took the seat home to cover it in my flannel sheet for the mean time while I wait for my actual seat covers to be done (some day, by my Mom rolleyes.gif ).

I think I figured out why the belt is screaming! The batt gauge showed 12v while engine running and indicated low. I think the alt was fully loaded trying to charge the battery. I do not know why. The batt has been fully charged in the mean time so I will see if this affects the alt load. If not, I need to check the wiring. It is a one wire set up, and I have an indicator light hooked up that worked, there may be a third wire I may need. I need to look into what terminal 2 is. I may need to wire terminal 2 to the battery as well (I recall something about this).

Rich running may be because I do not have the choke wired up yet. The choke is on until the engine heats it (hasnt run long enough).
Dr Evil
Last night was all about last minute things and wire stuff. I got the hazards to work, the license plate light installed, side markers, gauges with new better molex connectors, the two gauge pod (still needs screws), the drivers seat, and most of the seat belt. I still need to affix the retract part. I checked the wiring to see why no fuses blew and found that the wiring was correct and that was just the way it was. The heal light switch fried the little spring coil inside so that I had no gauge lights, but since I am running LED I did not need the dimmer and hard wired the input lug to the output lug on the switch. It all works perfectly with not smoking. I need to run the wires for the brake warning light some time to see if one of them is black or brown dry.gif It blew a fuse when I tried it so I just unplugged it. I need to shave the corners off of the seat mount to keep the seat belt from being cut.
Lastly, I need to try to see if the alt will charge and if the squeal will go away. If that turns out good then I will be doing a test run. Hopefully tomorrow.
I also stripped and primed the rear bumper and will be installing it with my tow hitch before the test run. Looking good for Hershey.
VaccaRabite
You were over last night?? I was working in the garage until 9:15 or so. What time did you show up?

Zach
Root_Werks
QUOTE(wilchek @ Apr 18 2010, 05:18 PM) *

I have to say that after seeing the bus I really want one. The engine sounded sweet. It was a shame that we fried some of the wiring. I guess it is not just a 914 thing. There was enough smoke to make a Cheech and Chong movie. Overall, a small stumble in a long race. I hope you got the parts you needed.

agree.gif

Me to, well, it is making me want a type3 squareback.
VaccaRabite
I was following a bus while commuting in this morning. Beat up, white, rusty, still awesome.

I found myself daydreaming of doing a full Subaru drivetrain swap - H6 NA engine, transmission, center diff, front and rear axles. Would give me power disks at all 4 corners, and a fairly robust AWD system that I am already familiar with. A stockish set up would net me AWD, with bias on the rear wheels.

Like I need another project...

Zach
Dr Evil
Check the date Zach, I was over Mon night when you got back from the bar. I was a good student yesterday (Tues) and stayed home to do as much home work as possible. I also finished up a transmission so now I only have one to do......until this weekend when one shows in the mail and one shows up with mepstein smile.gif

I am heading out now to your place to trouble shoot the charging system and maybe test drive. Maybe.
VaccaRabite
Ohhh! No test drives till I get there. I wanna play too! Won't be there till late though. sad.gif Class.

I DO want to be part of the first drive, but if you can't wait, no worries. I will somehow survive.

This morning I was posting 1/2 asleep.
Zach
Dr Evil
Un freakin believable. I spent tonight mostly chasing electrical gremlins. I found that the new hazard switch is defective. The smoke and blown fuse let me know. The old one that was original in the bus actually works perfectly. Tomorrow, more wiring. Once that is done, let drive!
VaccaRabite
I am home today, but will have theo duty tonight. Come over early and I can help though.
Dr Evil
I should be heading out by 1pm, there by 2. You would not believe the stuff that is connected to the hazard switch and all the fun a bad one can cause dry.gif I think most of my problems are now solved as for the intermittent weirdness. Now I need to finish wiring the oil P warning light, Batt warning light, horn, and I think that is it. Maybe I will do the brake warning light (many things pass through that, too rolleyes.gif )
jsayre914
are you driving it yet????

beerchug.gif
Root_Werks
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 22 2010, 08:59 AM) *

I should be heading out by 1pm, there by 2. You would not believe the stuff that is connected to the hazard switch and all the fun a bad one can cause dry.gif I think most of my problems are now solved as for the intermittent weirdness. Now I need to finish wiring the oil P warning light, Batt warning light, horn, and I think that is it. Maybe I will do the brake warning light (many things pass through that, too rolleyes.gif )

VW did a lot of wierd wiring through the hazard switches for a number of years. Way over complicated the system!

I can't remember exactly what years, but you go new enough and they revert back to simple.
Dr Evil
I exercised the demons. The tach is still dead, but it is the tach as I tried another and it worked. I forget who I bought the 911 tack off of, but it is poo sad.gif

The alt is now charging, the oil P light is working, Batt light working, Horn working, passenger seat installed, passenger seat belt installed. It is ready to rock! I need to adjust the idle and timing and drive it. It was too late by the time I handled everything.

The electrical demons I exercised from the bus jumped to the bike dry.gif I went to leave at 11 or so and my headlight was dim. It took me about 1 hour to mess with it. Loose/crossing connections. The light conked out on the road for a millisecond dry.gif fun fun
VaccaRabite
Also, Evil is very excited about his tranny wagons' horn. When you hear it, try not to laugh.

Without the relay in, it sounded kinda like a sick cow. "moooooOOOOO"

With the relay in it was aaron.gif shall we say theexperience_hud.gif underwhelming. gayfight.gif

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Its cool though. Mike embraced his new horn. He was tooting it to Dancing Queen at one point.

Zach

Dr Evil
I have been so busy that I have not been updating here. The bus made its way from Zach's house to my house (about 50 mi and 1hr) on the freeway at about 1am the morning of the Hershey swap. It was not perfect as it would knock under load (I found that I forgot to hook up the vac advance), and the carb needed serious adjustment. Even still, it drove like a dream and I easily passed traffic doing 80mph smile.gif This was with the throttle not nearly depressed. I think I may have over done it wink.gif
The bus made its way to the swap lugging lots of stuff, but it just so happened that the ignition switch crapped out that morning so that I had to get under it and cross the relay to start it.

Since the ig switch was crapped out, I started to remove it today. What a PITA. I need to get a steering puller tomorrow so I can take the whole console off to get the stripped grub screw out that retains the ig switch (cluster f*ck). I also removed the carb today to make sure all of the primary settings were correct to see if I could find why it would die when it is given gas. As Root and Scotty B noticed, the accelerator pump was not engaging when it should due to too much clearance. I adjusted this tonight and was relieved to see that it was WAY out. The secondary idle was off as well. All was easily corrected and I hope to have the ig switch fixed so I can try out the re-adjusted carb.
Dr Evil
Also, on the way home from Zach's I was so tempted to drive flat out just to get a ticket that read 100mph or more in a VW bus happy11.gif I would think that I could contest that in court due to it violating the laws of physics wink.gif
zymurgist
hahaha

Glad to hear the motor is exceeding your expectations.
type11969
Congrats man! Hope to someday see that beast in person . . . ride, well I'll sit in the back row middle.

I do think we need some videos of smoldering burn outs.
plas76targa
Mike, I'll loan you my GPS so you can record maximum speed value . driving.gif
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(plas76targa @ Apr 27 2010, 08:39 AM) *

Mike, I'll loan you my GPS so you can record maximum speed value . driving.gif

Yeah, should have said something, I had mine with me. It was already on 110 though so you would have had to really nail it!
Root_Werks
Very cool!

Any current fully body shots of the wagon?
Dr Evil
Maybe today after I reinstall the carb and fix the ig switch. smile.gif I need to tighten up the ATF fill tube as well. It is leaking on the header.
Dr Evil
Well, SNAFU. I got the old ig switch out and wouldnt you know it, my replacement is the wrong one. dry.gif My 74 was made in late 73 so the switch is different. It should be here by Thurs.....but I want it now hissyfit.gif

The old one was definitely toast. It had a cracked housing and the guts were wanting to come out.
VaccaRabite
Its weird here knowing the bus isn't. I kinda miss it.

Zach
Dr Evil
Ya, now you have to get to work on the truck poke.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Apr 27 2010, 04:41 PM) *

Its weird here knowing the bus isn't. I kinda miss it.

Zach

Sorry about the breakup Zach. Mike hid a pair of old underwear in the garage just so he had a reason ( excuse ) to stop by and see you one more time. smlove2.gif
VaccaRabite
Heh. I still have a ton of his stuff over here. we can keep this romance going on for mont.....

Did I just say that out loud?

Zach
Dr Evil
Oh my dark lord rolleyes.gif

Stop staring at my blurry spot! Freak dry.gif
VaccaRabite
hahahahahahahahahahaha
Root_Werks
You guys need a room? gayfight.gif av-943.gif

Hey, were are those full monte shots of the tranny wagon?
Dr Evil
Soon enough. I have to fix the ig switch, install the carb, and change a wheel bearing on my VUE today smile.gif I will see about taking pics today.
Dr Evil
Carb is installed. I needed to remove it again to helicoil some threads in the adapter. The ig switch showed up while I was doing the threads and I installed that as well. I am getting ready to button it up to get it inspected tomorrow. I am going to install the fog switch before I put the gauge pod back in and needed a drill with a 1/2 " chuck, hello wal-mart at midnight smile.gif

If I get it going today, I will shoot some pics. I was not motivated to stop and shoot today wink.gif
Dr Evil
Not sure what anyone wants to see.

Here is the broken ig switch:
Click to view attachment

Here is proof that the bus is in my driveway:
Click to view attachment

Here are the fogs I installed today. I figured why not since I was doing a bunch of electrical anyway:
Click to view attachment
Dr Evil
Here is evidence that the captains chairs sit way too high in the early bus. Mine is modified and it fits me perfectly. The passenger side was lowered as much as I could without cutting into the body. I may still modify it further, but with the back straight up my head is brushing the head liner and I can not see out the windshield well.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Here is the 914 fog light switch I used for my fogs smile.gif
Click to view attachment
Dr Evil
Holy crap! I finally manned up and turned the damn key. It is running 90% better now. It does not stall when put into gear, idles like a dream, has great power, but it still pops a little in transition. I am pretty sure it is because the accelerator pump is flooding it. It looks like a squirt gun when I give it any throttle. Horrible mileage that way. I will see if I can tweak it to give gas a little later in the throw. It has two positions. If not, I will get another cam and try that. This thing is AWESOME! I hope I can get it inspected on Mon so I can drive it anytime. I wait for night fall currently ph34r.gif
Dr Evil
Well, I did a lot of carb learning over the last few days. I bought an accelerator pump cam kit and put a higher flow cam in. This cleared up the stumble from idle to open throttle. Works like a charm now smile.gif My main jets are 54 and I am thinking smaller jets may be in order. That will be the last thing I goof with as it is doing fine on the freeway. I am pretty sure my power valve is not correct. When I put it in gear is barely runs from neutral. I wanted to get a dual zone power valve anyway. Better economy and tunability. I did not goof with the idle adjustment, though.

I may need to come down one on the accelerator pump cam as it is blowing up out of the carb a little every now and then. I need to recheck the timing as well. All pretty simple stuff, though smile.gif I hope to drive it to inspection tomorrow.
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 2 2010, 07:54 PM) *
I hope to drive it to inspection tomorrow.

aktion035.gif aktion035.gif aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.