Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Doc's tranny waggin'
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34
Dr Evil
Well, I am back from the hospital dry.gif Hard to type with my almost missing finger...I was welding and grinding and slipped with the 9" cut off wheel that I was using inappropriately....without a guard headbang.gif Right through the tendon on the thumb side of my pointer. Likely not gonna be salvageable.....I would care more but the pain meds are kicking in. typing one handed sux. Probably gonna have to sell mt guitars sad.gif

One plenum is leak proof, now, though rolleyes.gif
scotty b
dry.gif April fools unless pics are posted, with the bus, BMW, GUZZI and Leon in the background....holding todays newspaper dry.gif
scotty b
agree.gif dry.gif The engine was already under the bus a couple hours ago
Dr Evil
The plenums not on the engine. I was still fixing them. no pics....sleepy.
scotty b
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 1 2012, 06:32 PM) *

The plenums not on the engine. I was still fixing them. no pics....sleepy.

funny how you keep posting in other threads so injured and doped up. Try harder next year poke.gif
Dr Evil
Funny how you must ruin things so you can "feel" smart dry.gif

I am tying one handed. I burnt the hell out of my left thumb.
scotty b
Oh, sorr........y I guess I'll call off the tranny clinic. No way you can perform well all doped up. It kind of presents a real liability for me anyways. Sux for all sad.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 1 2012, 06:43 PM) *

Funny how you must ruin things so you can "feel" smart dry.gif

I am tying one handed. I burnt the hell out of my left thumb.

LEAVE THE CRACK PIPE ALONE MICHAEL !!!
hot_shoe914
Well, after Mike cut his unit off and almost his finger too, I felt sorry for him and went in to work on his bus after he passed out from the tequila and pain meds. I hope he isn't pissed when he comes too but here is what I left him with.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Sure hope he likes it. shades.gif
scotty b
OWWWWW I just severd my hand while working on my Agave green with brick red interior 356 Carrera roadster. What to do what to do. Oh me oh my. Hard to type wif face. I'll probably have to sell my.....my.....my paint guns.......... CRAP it hurtz. Oh cral payn neds kikin im. Go beddee by...............
Dr Evil
I love gas-burners on a bus smile.gif
hot_shoe914
Well, seeing as Scotty is my buddy too, and seeing as how he lost his masturbation hand and Alex doesn't want him anymor, I felt sorry for him too. On my way home from the Evil one's house I dropped by Scotty's to see if I could lend a "hand". lol-2.gif I did the best I could to finish his car for him but apparently I used too much thinner in the paint. By the time I got the mix right I was out of green paint so he will just have to live with this.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Oh yeah, I accidentally had a small accident when I was sitting in it taking a smoke.gif break. There was a small fire so you got stuck with silver interior too. Sorry bro, I am a rookie after all and from Arkansas. WTF.gif did you expect, perfection? av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Apr 1 2012, 07:26 PM) *

Well, seeing as Scotty is my buddy too, and seeing as how he lost his masturbation hand and Alex doesn't want him anymor, I felt sorry for him too. On my way home from the Evil one's house I dropped by Scotty's to see if I could lend a "hand". lol-2.gif I did the best I could to finish his car for him but apparently I used too much thinner in the paint. By the time I got the mix right I was out of green paint so he will just have to live with this.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Oh yeah, I accidentally had a small accident when I was sitting in it taking a smoke.gif break. There was a small fire so you got stuck with silver interior too. Sorry bro, I am a rookie after all and from Arkansas. WTF.gif did you expect, perfection? av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif

You're the best Shoe. I'll deal with the silver. I just wish you could have gotten the whole dor painted, but I guess I can still use a paint roller to finish it out beerchug.gif
Dr Evil
Alls I needed was some non-rainy weather and "poof" the engine is now suspended from the bus. Of course, I came down with a pretty damn good cold this weekend which has me a little less motivated dry.gif
Click to view attachment

Things on the "to do" list:

Fuel pump plumbing
Engine tin design, fabricate, install
Figure out the throttle
Location of the CIS box
Find the registration
Get it inspected dry.gif
Install the new gear selector cable
Figure out fuel hoses

That is the short list. The fuel hoses are actually the big hang up. I have the translucent OE style stuff, but I am not sure I have enough and I want to go to stainless braided. Hell, even hard lines would be nice as a 90* bend on the injectors would help out a lot.

Tonight I finished up the final phase of the plenums. I need to sand the intake welds smooth, re leak test one, and then install.

One other snag might be the location of the CIS box in the left engine bay as the spare tire cup is over there. I think I will have to cut it out, which I wanted to do any way as the spare is now on the front. The PITA will be getting the hole welded closed as the welder will not reach and the bus will have to drive to back into the garage to fix this smile.gif Motivation.

Stay tuned.
Dr Evil
Well, now that it is in I am seeing potential problems with the injectors. If I could get them to come off at 90* then they would be perfect. The ones for 924 have a banjo bolt that goes on the end and would fit the bill, but I am not sure the flow rate would be correct. Plus, I already have 6 new 911 injectors....maybe I can sell them dry.gif

More research.
Dr Evil
So, the 2.0 injectors from a pre-1980 924 seem to be the right part. I am looking into this further. If I can get this sorted, a major obstacle will be removed as I can get the hoses made and fit much easier.
Dr Evil
I got some work done on the tin tonight. The good news is that the front and rear parts can be used as is with little to no modification. I did have to make new side ones as the new heads changed the layout completely. Here are the pics of the "easy" side (no AAR or WUR mounts to work around). The base is 16Ga for rigidity since there is no place to bolt that part on, the sides are 22ga and burn through very easy rolleyes.gif I keep telling myself, "its just s prototype".
Dr Evil
Found a good deal on a set of 924 injectors, cheap even with overnight delivery smile.gif

I will likely not have this bus done by weeks end, but I think I can still make it to Scotty B's and Hershey. I hope to have the last bits needed by the end of the week, or ordered. This weekend I am working both days so will not be able to work on it before I leave town to OH to work. Lets see what I CAN get done.

Tomorrow:
Tins, Fuel system, throttle system
Katmanken
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 1 2012, 10:19 PM) *

Well, I am back from the hospital dry.gif Hard to type with my almost missing finger...I was welding and grinding and slipped with the 9" cut off wheel that I was using inappropriately....without a guard headbang.gif Right through the tendon on the thumb side of my pointer. Likely not gonna be salvageable.....I would care more but the pain meds are kicking in. typing one handed sux. Probably gonna have to sell mt guitars sad.gif

One plenum is leak proof, now, though rolleyes.gif

Evil,

Hospital called. You forgot yer finger. blink.gif

Nice nail polish, not that there is anything wrong with that. The nursies said your blue exam gloves usually cover that up. biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
So, mocking up the CIS system and found a few obstacles that need removing/engineering around.

1) That damn tire well is in the way. Well, it was...
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

2) The TB with the shallow hose on top is too tall for the engine bay, so I will need to tilt the TB assembly and thus make the pipe from the air box with the distributor to the TB have a twist in it....this should be easy rolleyes.gif

I just got confirmation that my injectors shipped smile.gif

I am sending measurements for the fuel lines to the guy that will make them smile.gif
Dr Evil
Shit! I just realized I need to put a return line on the tank dry.gif This means draining, pulling it, getting some dry ice to evacuate the fumes, welding in a bung, and re-installing the tank. I think I just hit my limit.....
zymurgist
Dry ice? If only you had a friend with a kegerator. He could bring over a bottle of CO2.
Dr Evil
I have CO2/Argon, but would rather just get some cheap ice wink.gif
Dr Evil
I just submitted the list of parts for the fuel system. It is gonna look PIMP when I am done biggrin.gif

I hope to still get it finished. I think I will start to pull the tank tomorrow.
balljoint
Thanks for not using capital T's on "the tank".

Get at it!
MDG
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 30 2012, 11:00 PM) *

I didn't bother to read any of this. But I like those blue things. They're cool. thumb3d.gif

Scotty's paint is holdin' up pretty good too . . looks like.
Dr Evil
Man, who invited the canucks?
tod914
Nice skittles Dr Mike. See if you can attend the Aircooled Fest, in Sept this year. Located in Flanders NJ. It's a great time. Alot of the folks camp over nite.
scotty b
QUOTE(tod914 @ Apr 4 2012, 06:01 PM) *

Nice skittles Dr Mike. See if you can attend the Aircooled Fest, in Sept this year. Located in Flanders NJ. It's a great time. Alot of the folks camp over nite.

NO MIKE. Stay away form the skittles, and for God's sake do NOT wear a hoodie.

As for the canucks, they're never invited, they just invade.........ish
Dr Evil
I am not sure where to source a nipple for the return fitting on the tank, any ideas? confused24.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 4 2012, 06:58 PM) *

I am not sure where to source a nipple for the return fitting on the tank, any ideas? confused24.gif

a junkyard tank ?
rick 918-S
Hey, your running a power glide right? You should see about installing a lockup converter. Your mileage would be enhanced on the highway.
crash914
ha ha, nipple, ha ha funny
Dr Evil
Junk yard tank is not in the cards. I wont have time. Any other ideas?

What is a "lock up converter"? Yes I am running a PG with a posi and rebuilt TC.

Herb, I figured someone would say something about the nipple, but I expected better from you rolleyes.gif

IronHillRestorations
One of the local body shops used to use carbon monoxide to weld gas tanks. They'd hook up one of those flexible rubber exhaust hoses to the filler neck and to a running car, let it run until the fuel tank got good and hot, then weld 'er up.
rick 918-S
Locks up at cruising speed for a direct drive like a clutch. No slippy and loss in mileage due to the engine not delivering all the rotation to the rear wheels. My understanding is it turns the hydrulic coupling into a mechanical coupling. Drag cars use them and many of the GM line had them from the factory starting the the 80's I think. I think some of them were called switch pitch or something like that. I would think it could really benifit a big van.
d914
I have one on my 1990 454... its good for an additional 200 rpm loss at highway speeds.. For my 454 that a big thing!! acts like an overdrive to a point..
Dr Evil
No locking TC for my box. Not that I could find, but thanks for giving me a desire to upgrade even more tongue.gif

Injectors arrived today.
Dr Evil
Well, the tank is out. I had to lower the engine to do it headbang.gif

Actually, not all the way. I did have a stroke.....of genius while looking around at the auto parts store. I am going to take a small section of plate, tap it for 1/4" NPT, cut a hole in the tank, weld in the plate, and install some npt-nipples smile.gif This will be done tonight, I hope. I didnt feel like searching out dry ice so I will just flood it with argon/CO2 from my weld tank. I have a huge Argon tank right now.
MDG
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 5 2012, 08:48 AM) *

Herb, I figured someone would say something about the nipple, but I expected better from you rolleyes.gif

heh . . heh . . the Doc said nipple.

Again.
Dr Evil
Easier than I thought. I will leak test it tomorrow and install if it doesnt leak. smile.gif
Dr Evil
Yet another snag. The guy that makes the FI hoses I ordered with all the fancy fittings lives in TX and when I called him today he said he was real busy after the tornado that just went through ohmy.gif

I of course told him to not worry about my stuff for the moment wink.gif I hope all you Texans are well.
Dr Evil
Well, the leak test of the tank turned into a can of worms dry.gif The tank metal was so thin in the area I welded that it would vanish with any exposure to the weld metal. I cut some out, welded in thicker, leak tested it again, had a stroke of genius and finish welded upside down with water in the tank to keep the metal from vaporizing. It has now passed and is in pain with a fresh coat drying before install. I start work at the hospital at 7pm until 7pm tomorrow so no more progress this week.

Perhaps you all can help me, I am trying to find a way to make my own steel braided fuel line set with banjo fittings. This is becoming a PITA. The guy that I was to have do it, for a chunk of change, is otherwise occupied and I see no reason I can not do it myself.....if I can find the parts suppliers.

HELP!
Dr Evil
Here, for the sake of reference, are the hoses I need to make:

qty 3 of 5' injector lines with 8mm banjo fittings on the ends

qty 3 of 2' injector lines with 8mm banjo fittings on the ends

qty 1 of 3' cold start valve line with 8mm banjo on one end and 12mm banjo on the other

qty 1 of 2' warm up regulator (WUR) send line with 8mm swivel on one end 10mm swivel on the other

qty 1 of 2' WUR return line with 10mm swivel on one end and 12mm banjo on the other

qty 2 of 12mm dual banjo bolt
Dr Evil
So far I have found nice banjo fittings for $11ea. Problem, they go to AN 3 (3/16) ID hose and I cant find the damn hose now....yet.
BajaXJ92
Mike, what can Scotty and I do to make this happen next weekend?

I already know I don't have time, but I'm going to move some things in my week around and make myself available Saturday afternoon, Sunday and some of Monday.
Dr Evil
I am looking into the option to come back from OH mid week to button things up. If that fails, then I will do the clinic in VA and maybe come back and work on it again to try and get it done by Hershey....other than actually coming over and helping me, or finding me the parts, I cant think of anything that can help.
Dr Evil
So I do see this stuff in stock at Mcmaster for about $3.5-4/ft, but is specifically says not for fuel oil or gasoline WTF.gif It has the same handling characteristics and PTFE material so I wonder why they say no gas. I amy consider using them anyway: PTFE, 3000psi with -65 to 400 deg.
wilchek
These guys are near me maybe they can help

http://www.clarkindustrialsupply.com/
Dr Evil
I'll give them a call tomorrow. Thanks smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.