Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Doc's tranny waggin'
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34
Dr Evil
I thought today was supposed to have bad weather. I was going to stay home, but I will likely be down there then.
Dr Evil
Today was GOOOOOD!

I called around and found a parts store with a clue and the 15/32" vacuum line for the brake booster. Score smile.gif

I cut the tube for the throttle cable, got an 8" section of 3/8" brake line and a section of 5/16" to make a new tube section. Click to view attachment

Here is a section of the old tube next to the 3/8" tube.
Click to view attachment

The 3/8" had an ID that was a bit too small for the OD of the 5/16" so I had to grind down the 5/16' a bit. Since I didnt want to do a long section of the 5/16 on the grinder I decided to tack it into place.
Click to view attachment

Dr Evil
The tube was moved under the cross beam so that it had a more direct shot to the throttle linkage on the tranz. It needs to be finalized before I tack it into place.
Dr Evil
And now for the money shots! I put the tin in and none of it fit right. I had to trim everything. Weird. But, it still ended up working smile.gif
Dr Evil
S'more
Dr Evil
Last one showing the new clearance with the new filter and holder.
Dr Evil
The engine looks much lower in the pics than in real life. For those that slam these buses, this thing is a monster truck.
zymurgist
clap23.gif
VaccaRabite
What time did you head out last night? I got home around 8 with little guy and figured that you had not been over when I did not see you there.

If you were reshaping and welding, you must have gotten over early. Sorry I missed you.

Zach
Dr Evil
I was out of there at 7. I was in need of parts and had been working a solid 5 hours.

I need to figure out the routing of the brake booster line, and I need to get a reducer to put the larger hose to the smaller nipple on the manifold. I may also need to get an enlarger to put the tranz kick-down's smaller hose to the other nipple that is bigger. I have to look at the taps off of the carb to see if I have a small enough one.

I also need to figure out how I am going to couple my throttle cable to the bell crank on the tranz. That will dictate where my tube for the cable ends up.

I will be drilling holes in the tin for the booster hose, and the fuel hose, placing the starter solenoid, coil, and ignition control box, running wires, figuring out where I am going to be mounting the pressure sensor, and where I will place the oil temp sensor. I also need to figure out if I want to drill a separate hole for the CHT wire. I may just cut the plug boot grommet and place the wire in the cut.
VaccaRabite
Missing your iPod?

Zach
scotty b
Check it for any Jonas Brothers before giving it back idea.gif
Dr Evil
Nope, I know where it is. Feel free to search it for Jonas, you will find nothing!
Katmanken
Is it pink?
Dr Evil
jerkit.gif

Here are some mock ups of how I am having the seats done.
Dr Evil
Today was another day of shitty weather. So, I decided to work inside the bus. I was itchin to get back to working on the bus this weekend so I was not gonna let the weather deter me. I trimmed the front engine tin so that it would fit better, installed a seal and then spent the remaining 7 hours working on the wiring inside the cabin. I finished the DIN 15 connector for the instrument cluster, and added a molex connector for the other instruments and fuel control.

I am pretty close now. To do list for tomorrow:
- Finish wiring
- Axles
- Exhaust
- Hook up the suck for the brake booster
- Hole for the fuel line

The arrow in the pic shows where I may need to trim the seal.
Dr Evil
Two more.
Dr Evil
I had been thinking about going in this direction eventually. What do ya'll think?

2.5" spindle lift and one notch of adjustment in the rear.
KELTY360
Oh yeah, that's badass. aktion035.gif
scotty b
smile.gif agree.gif
zymurgist
It's been done before. wink.gif

IPB Image
camaroz1985
Looks good with a little lift, and some beefy tires.
VaccaRabite
Thats what I thought you should have done from the beginning. And make it 4wd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV2CHuxE228

You KNOW you want to do this. It is within your ability!

Zach
VaccaRabite
If you did, we could go wheeling together. me in the Jeep and you in the Bus. it would be awesome.
Dr Evil
I will do a synchro conversion some day, but not now. This conversion would not take much so it is first. Here is a link to this and a bigger red bus on the Samba smile.gif
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic...asc&start=0
type11969
Syncro Vanagon Westy with a subaru diesel . . . definitely someday.

It is crazy how much syncro westys are listed for on the samba . . . so much cheaper to buy a syncro passenger van, a busted westy, and swap parts over.
Katmanken
Hey!!! blink.gif

Did you take those seats from my Vanagon during the Ohio tranny clinic?

I better check!

Seriously, I love the handling on my VW Bus (Vanagon), especially after changing from 14 inch steelie rims, to 15 inch Mercedes alloys. That change alone made a miracle change to the handling. Well, that and the natural 50/50 weight balance.

In fact, I might start stalking 16 inch wheels.

If it was mine, I'd improve the handling by changing the wheel rim size, and not increase the ground clearance. Extra height adds to the sidewind succeptablility, and decreases the cornering "slingability".

But, mebbe you want to offroad. Have fun.

Ken

Dr Evil
This Sat will be a great day, I hope. Noel and I are both going down early (9:30am) and I hope to have it moving under its own power before I leave at about 7pm.
- Wiring
- Axles
- Exhaust

That is about it for the big stuff. I was going to go down today, but I am finishing up some gear stacks for people so I can get them out tomorrow AM, hopefully smile.gif Its Spring, I need to get them cars on the road.
VaccaRabite
I am going to go out and give the prius an oil change so that I don't have to do it tomorrow. See you when Theo gets out of swim class.
Zach
Dr Evil
Lots of work done today. Some stuff fought me so I did not get to finish, but the day produced some good results. Pics later. I am drunk, and going to be. Zach and his wife Erin are in the next room passed out smile.gif Good day all around wink.gif
VaccaRabite
Last night was fun. We are back home now, I am somehow not hung over at all. Mike elected to stay in bed instead of joining Noel and Erin and I for breakfast. wink.gif

Zach
Dr Evil
I decided to remain near a toilet. Robburritos and hot wings were nto kind to me today. I am doing better. I also finished my home work so I may come down and finish the bus smile.gif

Maybe wink.gif pain30.gif
Dr Evil
Alright, I know you all dont care if there aren't any pics. So, I took some smile.gif

Over the last 2 days I managed to do the following:
- Starter and hot start relay wiring
- Fuel pump and hoses
- CHT wiring installed
- Oil pressure sensor mounted
- Oil temp T made and installed
- Coil, resistor and optical controller installed
- Completed installation of brake booster suck line
- Gear selector cable installed (what a PITA)
- Majority of the cockpit gauges wired, or wiring waiting for final placement of gauge

All that is left:
- Finish hooking up sensors
- Install gear selector under dash
- Buy a battery
- Axles
- Exhaust

The throttle linkage needs to be re adjusted as it is not working as it did before. I do not know why, but I need to set a day aside to have time to deal with it. It may take 15min, it may take a whole day.

And now, the pics.
Dr Evil
More
Dr Evil
Still more.
Dr Evil
More more more
Dr Evil
And then...
Root_Werks
Wow! Looks very close to lighting up. driving.gif

There is a running, driving syncro up here for $4k. Cheapest one I have seen......ever.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/1645331682.html

Dr Evil
There was one in town for $2,500.....it was hard to pass up, but I have to have my limits.
RJMII
Looking good! The pics are cooler now that I've seen the bus in person. biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
What a friggen day. The last part of this post will need to be read while you are not drinking anything as to prevent from spitting. dry.gif

The day started off pretty good. There was rain forecasted, but none happened so I decided to head down to try and finish the bus. We still need a second vehicle up and the bus is closer than the Suby at this point.

I went to Lebanon, PA to pick up my under dash A/C unit that I got for the bus (future plans). I then went directly to york to work on the beast.

I managed to get all of the rear wiring done and a battery installed. I was pretty happy about this and figured that the end was near (in a good way).

So, I figured it was time to install the passenger side axle and exhaust since I was finished with that side.

The axles.....dry.gif

I bought my axles off of Eric Shea at a good deal. They were shipped and marked fragile. Whatever. The axles were contained in bags and there was a baggy of grease accompanying each one. One axle was dropped so hard that it burst the bag of grease all over the inside of the box. Excellent. The axle was clean, though. The other axle had one CV that someone had previously greased and as such the zip ties were missing and the whole damn thing was in pieces dry.gif I HATE reconstructing greasy CVs. Well, that only too too long and made a huge mess. So, off to the beast I go to install the one I just reconstructed. Or so I though. I get under the bus and put the axle into place only to notice that.....it is too short blink.gif How the hell? So, I try to fit it on the other side and wouldnt you know it,.....its too long! headbang.gif So, it would appear that my drive train, some how as we trial fit the throttle stuff in the bus, IIRC, is too far over to the drivers side by about an inch (2" too close on drivers, 2" to far on passenger).

Now, I need to drop the engine a little and see if I need to modify the front mount over, the rear bar (I hope not), or both. Oh ya, and the tin headbang.gif

I took pics, but what is the point sad.gif Looks like I have a project waiting for me when I go down again. Tomorrow is home work day. Depending on how long it takes, I will likely not be going down. dry.gif
Dr Evil
Oh ya, the CV bolts are longer than our 914 type so that was a stopping point. AND, the adapters for the CV to corvair tranz are threaded for 5/15-24 bolts. FINE THREAD!? Why, I do not know. The stock are coarse, 7/16 coarse in grade 8 is readily available, but not the fine ones in grade 8. Oh, the kit only came with 6 and I need 12 smile.gif headbang.gif

These last few things are vexing.
rick 918-S
Doc I feel your pain... ricola.gif ouch!
zymurgist
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 23 2010, 10:25 PM) *

Oh ya, the CV bolts are longer than our 914 type so that was a stopping point. AND, the adapters for the CV to corvair tranz are threaded for 5/15-24 bolts. FINE THREAD!? Why, I do not know.

If I recall correctly, the half shaft yokes on a Corvette bolt to the wheel hubs with fine thread bolts. I wonder if it's a weird GM thing.
Root_Werks
Dude!

blink.gif

That sucks.

sad.gif
VaccaRabite
I am just seeing this... D'oh!
It might be faster to just get axle shafts made in a size that fits as things are now. There are a lot of 4X4 shops that make and sell axle shafts for the truck guys.

confused24.gif

I am on Theo duty tonight (want to get as much time with him as I can before I fly to CT tomorrow) but I might be able to help after he goes to bed.
Zach
Dr Evil
I removed the front mount and repositioned it 1.5" to the passenger side. The Axles now fit, but the tin is gonna need some trimming. More work, but not a complete re-do. I HATE working with axles. Fucking things are all greasy and then dirt sticks to every thing, the bolts are all greasy, they dont want to go in. dry.gif

I hope to be done with this on Sat if I work on it. The weather is supposed to be nice. However, I still need to change the bearing hub on the VUE and the head gaskets on the Suby. At least this crap is happening when I am "unemployed" rolleyes.gif
Dr Evil
OK, I will be going to be in about 30min so I can get an early jump on this damn thing. I intend to have it running this weekend!

Here are the pics I took just before I found out that my engine was out of alignment hissyfit.gif
Dr Evil
Last two.
Dr Evil
FINALLY! Today was a good 11hr work day smile.gif I started at 1pm and left for home at midnight (and 33*, burr).

I adjusted the tin and installed the seals which went well smile.gif

Start, drivers tin removed.
Click to view attachment

An example of the gap formed on the pass side when I shifted the engine. No biggie.
Click to view attachment

And the finished product smile.gif
Click to view attachment

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.