Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Doc's tranny waggin'
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(MDG @ Feb 9 2009, 05:11 PM) *

QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Feb 9 2009, 06:39 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Feb 9 2009, 02:23 PM) *

He isnt doing the top because we are going to cut it off and put the camper Ragtop on smile.gif

smile.gif

Click to view attachment

that's looks like a trip to the hairdresser that went wrong. I think Bo Derek used to have hair like that . . .

excellent job on this so far

m.

Well I guess he told me... sad.gif

av-943.gif
scotty b
You got called out by the newbie HAHA

MDG

[/quote]

Well I guess he told me... sad.gif

av-943.gif
[/quote]

didn't mean that as a comment on your photo chops - your skills are obvious

wish I could do that dry.gif

m
MDG
QUOTE(scotty b @ Feb 9 2009, 08:38 PM) *

You got called out by the newbie HAHA

well, um, I didn't realize that was an official design submission biggrin.gif

newbie, boobie, it's all good. Happy to be here

m.

scotty b
QUOTE(MDG @ Feb 9 2009, 05:41 PM) *

didn't mean that as a comment on your photo chops - your skills are obvious

wish I could do that dry.gif

m

It's o.k. he's kind of special to us. We keep him full of french fried taters, and he stays happy. But if we run out of mustard you better watch your arse.
So.Cal.914
'Reckon I'll have me some of the big 'uns.

Click to view attachment
Dr Evil
Update: So I tried to CC my heads using a large 60cc syringe from work (dont worry, they are disposable), it was way too difficult to get the thing to work accurately as it was too big and dribbled too much (I know many of you heard that before). I got one of my friends to snag me some pipettes from her lab, but she only had 5ml pipettes so it took a little longer to fill each chamber. One head turned out to be all 58cc, the other head was 56, 79, 60cc. This sucked as my CR with these volumes would be about 7 or even lower. Soooo, I dropped the heads back off at the machine shop today so they could cut them down .055". They are not fast, though, so I hope it doesnt take too long dry.gif
Meanwhile, I am waiting on my .040" copper head gaskets which supposedly shipped yesterday.....5 days after they were supposed to. WTF is the deal with these gaskets? Everyone offers them, no one stocks them.

I also am still waiting on the machine shop to clean up my oil pump housing, and finishing my other barrel. I cant do anything more on teh engine until the rest of this stuff is done......dry.gif
degreeoff
QUOTE(maf914 @ Feb 9 2009, 11:46 AM) *

That is the first time I have seen the Corvair intake manifold. Two runners into the manifold then three intake ports. Doesn't look very efficient. One question: Why did they do that? confused24.gif

I think I've heard that people cut off the manifold to fit triple throat Webers. From Jeffs phot it looks like you could fit a dual throat Weber if you had a suitable manifold. idea.gif

And that engine case sure looks different form a VW/Porsche case. Very square looking. Interesting.

NOT that I am dising chair.gif the effort or engine but it sure makes you appreciate the German counterpart!
Dr Evil
Nothing wrong with the stock engine, mine is a little modified and with any modified engine there comes some tweaking.
So.Cal.914
In a way the case reminds me of a ferrari case I saw apart.

This one is a working model, 8hp at 10,500 rpm
Click to view attachment
Dr Evil
What is it with these damn parts monkies!? mad.gif Sooo, after sending back the wrong sets of head gaskets that a previous idiot sent me, on my dime, I ordered a set off of a seller on Ebay, through Ebay for protection purposes. This seller is one I recognized from my home town of La Mesa, CA so I felt confident with the order. I order TWO sets of head gaskets, they were supposed to be shipped when paid and I paid immediately. 5 days later they ship. They get here today.....well, one set gets here today dry.gif Idiots didnt read their own damn invoice where I ordered 2 sets. Lets see how they deal with this problem. At least I dont need them right away now, but it may be another week or so before I get the second set in headbang.gif
Dr Evil
Dang, already got an email back apologizing for the mix up and promising to send another set out ASAP. Lets see how it plays out. SO far, they already have better customer service skills.
Dr Evil
So, tires.... For VW buses, tires are often a PITA to find. Correct ones, that is. The tires need to be higher load and thicker sidewall. Using regular passenger tires is a dangerous gamble. The original tires had a weird size designation - 185R14C. Notice there is no aspect ratio. The "C" stands for commercial and means that there are at least 6 or 8 (I forget) plys in the side wall. Finding these tires is a bitch and they tend to be about $75 ea from the bus vendors. However, if you know the parameters for the load rating you can find regular tires with an RF or XL rating which stands for reinforced. The min parameters to shoot for are:
* Size: 205/70R14 97R
* Load Range 97
* Max Load Capacity: 1580 lbs
* Max Inflation Pressure:: 40 psi

With these data it is much easier to find tires. I am considering these at $58 ea from the Tire rack.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...yes&place=4

However, Scotty is a professional and has hook ups and I will see if he can score me some tires that are as good as these at a 1653# rating for less smile.gif
type11969
Mike - you've obvously done more research in to this than I have but I'm not sure that just because the load rating is the same that the tires are created equal. Only reason I bring this up is because the bus can be a handful to drive on a windy day even with the right tires, without is a total pain. The heavy duty sidewall of the commercial tires help alot to reduce this. It would suck to save a bit on tires, get them on your bus, only to find out that it is a total stain to drive in the wind, all I am saying . . .

Sway bar helps too, rear sway is supposed to also but then makes corning a bit more of a bitch.

-Chris
Dr Evil
Here is a great source of info on the subject. You will notice that the heavier vanagons use the size I mentioned, and there is an explanation that addresses the valid concerns you bring up. smile.gif

http://www.roadhaus.com/tires/guideline.html
type11969
Okay, cool. I remember my rents were convinced back in the day to use passenger car tires on their syncro vanagon . . . tires were popping all the time. No inets to tell them otherwise back in 86! Finally someone knew what was going on and told them to put truck tires on, they were not happy with the price tag.

Dr Evil
The latest: I tried, unsuccessfully, to tow the bus home from Scotty's, but no dice just yet. I just bought 5 tires for it for $346 shipped smile.gif
crash914
Can you say "trailer?"

I knew you could wink.gif
Dr Evil
The only thing is that after driving 4+ hours down and picking the trailer up at your house, followed by 4+ hours back to my house, followed by a few hours to your house to return the trailer, followed by a return trip..... Yikes. I am looking for the easiest way and the $30 tow dolly may be a better bet, but I am not sold on the idea yet wink.gif
PeeGreen 914
Can't wait to see it all together piratenanner.gif I'm excited for ya Mike. Love the new avitar too laugh.gif
Dr Evil
Well, the engine parts are STILL awaiting treatment. Hopefully this week, Fri. But, to show that I am dedicated to having the bus done soon, I insured it today and will register it tomorrow or Thurs smile.gif I hate paying insurance on non-op cars dry.gif
VaccaRabite
I am on the phone with insurance trying to get my 914 insured as I type this.

How are you going to get the bus to the title shop? Are they allowing pictures of the vin, or are you towing?

Zach
scotty b
New tires are on the bus. I left my camera in the 944 yesterday and forgot to take it this morning ( drove Vulva today ) so I don have no pix mang sad.gif
Dr Evil
I think white would look better on the wheels instead of black poke.gif

Zach, the big DMV office here in Harrisburg is not only fast, but they dont accept the VIN rubbing. They only accept pictures. I forgot I need the VIN pic so I guess I will be registering it next week after I pick it up.

Scott, is it ready for pickup? I can get it as soon as Thurs.
VaccaRabite
I am probably going to take a day off in the very near future to run up the the Harrisburg DMV office then. My insurance is bought for the 914. $14K agreed value. Should have the insurance cards in my email box tomorrow.

The shop near me wants to see the physical car since I bought it out of state.

Zach
Dr Evil
I dont even think that the Harrisburg office has people to come out. The whole visual verification thing is the job of the vehicle inspector at the shop.
scotty b
Ready for pickup captain. Unbroken glass still not in but rolling stock is fine for the trip.
Dr Evil
The seal is on the way to your house, but I can always have you ship it here. I am gonna plan for Thurs for a quick turn around wink.gif

Thanks for the hard work Scotty, the pics are not even close to how awesome this bus is smile.gif I was hoping to finish it down there so you could be in it for he first ride, but I guess I will have to have someone else push it back wink.gif
Dr Evil
UHaul is reserved for tomorrow at 9am and then I am on the road. No time for messing around, in and out, no one gets hurt (thats what she said rolleyes.gif ). I need to get back before late night.
crash914
hope it all goes well....
scotty b
Blasted the fronts, etched, sealed and blakced out. I hit the backsides lightly and just gave them a coat of black.

type11969
Nice
jonferns
Nice! Good luck bringing it home.
Dr Evil
Oooo, BOING! Cant wait to get the damn thing driving. I hope the machine shop is done with my stuff by Fri. dry.gif
Dr Evil
Soooooo, I am finally home from picking up the bus and dropping it off. I left at 0830 dry.gif If there was a wrong turn to be made or a traffic jam to find, I was there! How do I end this adventure? Well, cop a squat and I will tell you.

I get to Zach's house, he is not home and his wife is busy with the spawn. Soo, I have to unload the bus my self.....on his VERY sloped driveway. Oh ya, Scotty disarmed the breaks. I cant forget to tell ya'll that point. Anyway, I am at a 45* to Zach's garage with the bus, my VUE is in his grass, I have the wheels chocked, and I pull forward with the the VUE thus pulling the bus off of the trailer.....and it rolls over the chocks and slowly heads for Zach's garage door. I manage to throw the VUE in park, and run to the bus and slow its roll.......into Zach's garage door rolleyes.gif Mostly it looks like the door paint transferred to the bus' corner. It will likely buff out dry.gif Zach's door was only bent a little, I pushed it back out and got out of there before the wife came out and wondered what happened biggrin.gif It still went up and down fine, and it wasnt perfect to begin with, but I will be back to beat it back to a better looking form wink.gif

What a friggen day dry.gif
VaccaRabite
When I gave you permission to put the bus into my garage, I intended for you to open the door first. Dork. smile.gif

I'll have to to a little more massaging to it this weekend. It opens fine but binds when closing. Right now I have it off the motor, as it was jamming at the top. No biggie.

Does the bus have any brakes at all? I'd like to swing it around so it is more even with the top of the drive. It will keep Erin happy if it is more orderly.

Zach

Dr Evil
No brakes. The pads separated from the metal and locked the wheels so Scotty had to remove them. I will be replacing all of the brakes on it soon. I can come over when ever you want to move the bus around and fix your door. I only have plans tonight, other than that I am available. I also forgot to drop off my new windshield that is still in my car dry.gif
Dr Evil
The parts are supposedly done at the shop, which just happens to be on the way to Zach's house, so I will stop by and drop off the windshield, and massage the door into a more functional arrangement biggrin.gif So much shame sad2.gif
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 13 2009, 10:54 AM) *

The parts are supposedly done at the shop, which just happens to be on the way to Zach's house, so I will stop by and drop off the windshield, and massage the door into a more functional arrangement biggrin.gif So much shame sad2.gif

What time do you think you will get to my place?

Zach
jimkelly
scotty - i hope you break that thing in right with some local sweety - BEFORE - you give it back to mikey ; )
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Mar 13 2009, 04:24 PM) *

scotty - i hope you break that thing in right with some local sweety - BEFORE - you give it back to mikey ; )

I'ts already in my driveway.

But tomorrow IS International Steak and a BJ Day. Hrm, wonder if we can pass the baby off to the grandparents and get some hippy love'n.

Zach
Dr Evil
The door is "fixed" smile.gif

Good news on the bus, I pulled the tank to see about getting it coated and the inside looks brand new and the fule level sender is brand new smile.gif Score!

All of the engine parts are done now... I think I will be in the garage late tonight putting things on other things smile.gif
Dr Evil
With the heads back from the shop and turned down to my calculated seat height, it was time to finish the heads; smooth the seating edges, CC and adjust as necessary.

You can see the sharp edges left by the machining. These edges are a great place for heat to build up and cause preignition.
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

Here are the smoothed edges.
Click to view attachment

Here are the pics of me CCing the chambers. All was good as they were within 1cc or less, between 47-48cc for a CR of 7.5-7.6:1 smile.gif
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment

I got one of the heads on and things are progressing along nicely. This engine is pretty darn easy to assemble.
scotty b
So uh what exactly what is up with that crack ithe first pic and those " plugs " in the others ? blink.gif
ws91420
I looked at that too Scott. The cracks are in the plexiglass disc he was using to cc the heads.
scotty b
QUOTE(ws91420 @ Mar 15 2009, 05:33 AM) *

I looked at that too Scott. The cracks are in the plexiglass disc he was using to cc the heads.

O.K. I see them in most pics but the one in that very first pic sure looks like it is in the head. Is my eyesight that off ? blink.gif
ws91420
No. It took me several looks before I realized what it was.
VaccaRabite
I think that is a bit of shaving from the machine shop. Its gone in the "smoothed" picture.

Zach
Dr Evil
Zach gets the prize smile.gif The pics are sometimes staged as I tend to get focused in my work and miss photo ops. In the pics you can see a piece of debris in the chamber that I removed after the pic as well. I'll try to get a pic posted of 1/2 of the engine done smile.gif I have to read a whole book for tomorrows class....I started it at noon (doh).
Dr Evil
Here are 3 pics of the head installed smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.