Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Project Anklebiter Build Thread.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33
plymouth37
QUOTE(ericread @ Jun 12 2008, 07:33 PM) *

I'll be in Vegas the weekend of June 28th. Will it be ready by then?????

(hint, hint)

Got out of that crazy town but if you ever come through Laramie a cold one will be waiting for ya beerchug.gif

Wow up to 100 posts already! Thanks for the support guys!
plymouth37
Tonight I pulled my tank and gutted everything in the front trunk, I bagged and tagged everything, next stop for the parts I am keeping is the powder coater.

I will be welding up all of the un-needed holes then stripping the remaining paint in preparation for primer.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
lotus_65
Wow up to 100 posts already! Thanks for the support guys!

...has something to do with a sick whip i think...
somesonofabeach
I didn't think it was possible to have a gas tank area that clean. Yours looks better than factory compared to mine. KEEP UP THE AMAZING WORK!!!! popcorn[1].gif
ninefourteener
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Jun 12 2008, 04:05 PM) *

100-125 MORE horsepower in a 1900 pound car? Damn that sounds terrifying! w00t.gif
You are such a bad influence, I suppuse I need a 930 transaxle too while I am at it? idea.gif
Well crap, now I am going to have to sink even more money in to this fricken car!
I thought a Murcie was out of reach but now, well, can you imagine a 914 beating a Murcielago in a race? I think I would die laughing! av-943.gif
What have I done...

Yup.... My 2006 WRX (stock) is 230hp, after 25% in drivetrain loss, you're only looking at about 175 hp to the wheels.

Bellmouth downpipe, 3-inch exhaust, and a cobb accessport... I was at 285 hp (stage 2)... I think that ends up to be around 230 at the wheels.

Bolted on a VF39 turbo (it was a straightforward install), downloaded a free map online from Cobb..... boom, 362 hp.... just like that.... free, no dynotuning required.

I got ancy... and forked over $400 for some fine-dynotuning at Cobb in SLC.... they got me up to 304 at the wheels by maxing out my injectors.... 380-ish at the crank. All I've done since then was add an intake... so I'm guestimating right at 385 crank hp.

Keep in mind.... I'm turning 5 driveshafts and heavier wheels.... you're not.

My local club/website (SLCSUBARU.COM) has several guys running WELL over 350 WHP (close to 450 crank hp) on the stock internals. I've seen STI guys run close to 600hp on the stock internals..... It's all about the size turbo, the fuel system to support it, and the tuning.

I would say your biggest issue is going to be tranny strength..... and traction smile.gif
plymouth37
QUOTE(ninefourteener @ Jun 13 2008, 08:08 AM) *

QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Jun 12 2008, 04:05 PM) *

100-125 MORE horsepower in a 1900 pound car? That sounds terrifying! w00t.gif
You are such a bad influence, I suppose I need a 930 transaxle too while I am at it? idea.gif

Yup.... My 2006 WRX (stock) is 230hp, after 25% in drivetrain loss, you're only looking at about 175 hp to the wheels.

Bellmouth downpipe, 3-inch exhaust, and a cobb accessport... I was at 285 hp (stage 2)... I think that ends up to be around 230 at the wheels.

Bolted on a VF39 turbo (it was a straightforward install), downloaded a free map online from Cobb..... boom, 362 hp.... just like that.... free, no dynotuning required.

I got ancy... and forked over $400 for some fine-dynotuning at Cobb in SLC.... they got me up to 304 at the wheels by maxing out my injectors.... 380-ish at the crank. All I've done since then was add an intake... so I'm guestimating right at 385 crank hp.

Keep in mind.... I'm turning 5 driveshafts and heavier wheels.... you're not.

My local club/website (SLCSUBARU.COM) has several guys running WELL over 350 WHP (close to 450 crank hp) on the stock internals. I've seen STI guys run close to 600hp on the stock internals..... It's all about the size turbo, the fuel system to support it, and the tuning.

I would say your biggest issue is going to be tranny strength..... and traction smile.gif

Wow! That is wicked! Thanks for the info!
tdgray
Absolutley WICKED Dana... this is going to be one of my favorite project threads ever.

Keep it up
Slider
Nice job Dana,

the car looks awesome

im looking forward to seeing this beast...
carreraguy
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Jun 12 2008, 01:14 PM) *

QUOTE(ericread @ Jun 12 2008, 01:09 PM) *

QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Jun 12 2008, 02:04 PM) *

QUOTE(Zundfolge @ Jun 12 2008, 12:53 PM) *

For color, I'd love to see you just polish up the metal a bit and remove some of the tooling marks, then just clear coat it ... kind of like the Renegade Hybrids Subie.

This is the Renegade Hybrids Subie! biggrin.gif

No, I don't think that's the same one...

My bad, sorry. biggrin.gif

WTF? IMHO your car (in its previous incarnation anyway) is the iconic RH conversion!
Subscribed for sure!
ericread
QUOTE(carreraguy @ Jun 15 2008, 07:06 PM) *

For color, I'd love to see you just polish up the metal a bit and remove some of the tooling marks, then just clear coat it ... kind of like the Renegade Hybrids Subie.

WTF? IMHO your car (in its previous incarnation anyway) is the iconic RH conversion!
Subscribed for sure!

Damn, I hate having to explain jokes. See, the expert identified the vehicle, then the person without any knowledge whatsoever, challenged the identification. Lastly, the expert, rather than fall into the trap of justifying his expert knowledge, agreed and apologized.

Another variation of this is when you meet someone, tell him "I know your, name... don't tell me... it's John" The person you're meeting corrects you and says "No, my name is Brent". Then you tell him "No, it's not Brent, I really think it's John". The fun begins when Brent tries to use logic to prove his name is Brent. At that point, you have drawn Brent into an argument over what his name is!!! av-943.gif

Damn... Now that's funny!!! biggrin.gif
carreraguy
QUOTE(ericread @ Jun 15 2008, 06:23 PM) *

Subscribed for sure!

Damn, I hate having to explain jokes. See, the expert identified the vehicle, then the person without any knowledge whatsoever, challenged the identification. Lastly, the expert, rather than fall into the trap of justifying his expert knowledge, agreed and apologized.

Another variation of this is when you meet someone, tell him "I know your, name... don't tell me... it's John" The person you're meeting corrects you and says "No, my name is Brent". Then you tell him "No, it's not Brent, I really think it's John". The fun begins when Brent tries to use logic to prove his name is Brent. At that point, you have drawn Brent into an argument over what his name is!!! av-943.gif

I get it - kind of like - "My bad, sorry (not)" biggrin.gif
ericread
QUOTE(carreraguy @ Jun 15 2008, 07:41 PM) *

QUOTE(ericread @ Jun 15 2008, 06:23 PM) *

Subscribed for sure!

I get it - kind of like - "My bad, sorry (not)" biggrin.gif

OK, it's not the funniest joke in the world... I try to being a little light humor to your dry, boring, nothing lives, and that's the thanks I get???

biggrin.gif
plymouth37
Well, it's been a while. Between painting my house and haven't had much time to work on the car!
I snuck away last night and got the windshield cleaned up and reshaped.

I started out by using the templates I made earlier to position the frame where I wanted it. I was going to mount the frame so the top of it was even with the top of the head hoops but it just didn't look right. Now that the lift off hard-top is looking like its going to happen having the frame a little higher will be better anyway. I ended up mounting the windshield an inch higher than the hoops so now the car will be 41" tall not 40".
Click to view attachment

I welded up the relief cuts I made in the corners, then I rounded off the corners of the frame and boxed them.
Click to view attachment

I then ground down the pinch welds and rewelded the frame with butt welds.
As you can see I left a small bit of the pinch weld at the bottom of the frame so I would have something to clamp to for final adjustments, this will be ground down once I have welded the frame in place.
(Did you notice the wall? I did a little painting while I was waiting for the welds to cool, I figure if I paint it four feet at a time that wall will be all white by fall biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment

Here is a good shot of the new rounded frame.
Click to view attachment

I boxed in the corners but left the center un-boxed. The interior side and back of the frame will be wrapped in vinyl and I will make a matching removable filler piece for the center of the frame. When I make the top I will design it so its front lip fits into the center slot (with the filler piece removed) for a secure and fairly water tight fit.
Click to view attachment
plymouth37
Here is how things are looking now.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Next I will fabricate the backing plates for mounting the windshield. I am going to plug weld in a second layer of metal inside the frame at the connection point so I will have a backed butt-weld, and double the stock metal thickness where the frame meets the cowl. I will then drill an access hole in the back of the frame so I can weld up the interior support plate, then weld up the access hole. If I do this right the frame will be much stronger than stock.
PeeGreen 914
drooley.gif Looks sweet Dana.

Any chance you want to come out here and make me a cage biggrin.gif welder.gif
byndbad914
yeah, wow dude, you are doing some very nice work!
ericread
I'm still not sure why you'd want to paint that??? It would look awesome with a clearcoat!!!

Great work. Are you sure this is your first 914 project???

laugh.gif
PeeGreen 914
I expect to see the whole garage painted now biggrin.gif
BKLA
OMFG!!!!

We're not worthy! We're not worthy! pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif

This is the coolest thread and build!

I feel completely inadequate! (Shrinkage here!)
plymouth37
QUOTE(ericread @ Jun 23 2008, 10:54 AM) *

I'm still not sure why you'd want to paint that??? It would look awesome with a clearcoat!!!

I could do a 914 "Pur Sang" in honor of the Bugatti Pur Sang biggrin.gif
Polished steel and carbon fiber trunks and humps would be pretty sweet idea.gif
Although it would be a lot easier to sand bondo than metal finish the whole car...
Click to view attachment
kerensky
PWN pg 7... wink.gif
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Jun 10 2008, 03:19 PM) *
I will be running a custom top mount intercooler, the new lid creates a ton of space for plumbing. Intercooler plumbing should be kept as short as possible so a front mount intercooler is really out of the question..
Latecomer to this thread, looking pretty cool! Saw this statement and it struck me. If you really *had* to get your airflow for the intercooler from the front, couldn't you install a front-mount radiator and circulate coolant to an air-water intercooler? That way the actual intercooler could mount wherever you had space, without concern for airflow...

EDIT: D'oh, Mitchell, read the ENTIRE post. I shouda guessed that, as completely as you seem to have worked all this out, that you'd have considered and discarded that idea already. Oh well, looks hot, man. beer.gif
plymouth37
Thanks for the support guys! I plan on doing some more welding tonight!
Gint
Too cool Dana! Love the plan. You're doing with a 914 what I want to do 29 roadster. welder.gif blowtorch.gif
seanery
Damn, I love this thread...Dana - we need more! It's been a week! laugh.gif

I wish I had 1/2 the metal skills you have!
SirAndy
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Jun 12 2008, 08:09 PM) *

Tonight I pulled my tank and gutted everything in the front trunk

no sway bar?
idea.gif Andy
plymouth37
QUOTE(seanery @ Jul 1 2008, 10:10 AM) *

I have been building a huge deck and re-seeding my yard so the car has fallen on the back burner for a little while.
I should be ready to resume work in about a week. biggrin.gif
no sway bar?
Andy

I am running a 911 carrera front suspension with an underbody swaybar.
And the car did not have a through body sway originally (two less holes to fill smile.gif).
ericread
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Jul 1 2008, 11:02 AM) *

QUOTE(seanery @ Jul 1 2008, 10:10 AM) *

I have been building a huge deck and re-seeding my yard so the car has fallen on the back burner for a little while.
I should be ready to resume work in about a week. biggrin.gif
no sway bar?
Andy

I am running a 911 carrera front suspension with an underbody swaybar.
And the car did not have a through body sway originally (two less holes to fill smile.gif).

Damn it Dana, you need to get your priorities straight. Your yard can wait. Let's get back to this car right now!!! mad.gif

Wait a minute.... Isn't this about the time your beer was going to be ready? Are you sure your working on your "yard", or are you just over-embibing a bit??? happy11.gif

OK, I got a bit carried away... sorry.... rolleyes.gif

Eric
plymouth37
Wait a minute.... Isn't this about the time your beer was going to be ready? Are you sure your working on your "yard", or are you just over-embibing a bit??? happy11.gif
Eric

I bottle tomorrow! beerchug.gif
"over embibing" sounds alot better than yard work but at least I am getting a nice tan biggrin.gif .
BKLA
Need Update, Badly!!!!

drooley.gif
plymouth37
Sorry guys, I am in the middle of building a 1000 sq foot deck and after a full days work on that I have no strength or patience left to work on the car.
I will finish the deck in a couple weeks and will then have the time and energy to get back to the car. Don't worry you will get your fix in a little bit biggrin.gif
rebelmdot
Click to view attachment

Here is your Porsche Mural for your wall. If I come knock out that deck for you, will you please get back to the car?

popcorn[1].gif beer3.gif
turboman808
This is what sucks about living in the city. I don't even have tools I wish I could go out back and build a deck and do some welding in my garage. Oh well I will just sit at my computer.

I am jealous smile.gif

I do get to detail cars for money but it's not the same.
byndbad914
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Jul 15 2008, 03:04 AM) *

Sorry guys, I am in the middle of building a 1000 sq foot deck and after a full days work on that I have no strength or patience left to work on the car.
I will finish the deck in a couple weeks and will then have the time and energy to get back to the car. Don't worry you will get your fix in a little bit biggrin.gif

I agree with some others... priorities man! I have had plans laid out for about 500sqft of deck that I have since reduced to about 320 sqft and I have still refused to start it shades.gif too busy with the paint and projects on the car.

That and they both cost too much money, so I pick the lesser of the evils... last time I checked I can't drive a deck laugh.gif and I don't think the HOA will let me paint a black cross on it either happy11.gif
plymouth37
last time I checked I can't drive a deck

av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif

Yeah my priorities are totally backwards, believe me I am hauling on this thing to get it done so I can get back to the car.
plymouth37
O.K. guys, the deck is DONE!
Here are a couple pictures of my huge deck, I think it turned out pretty well for being my first attempt at working with wood.
And yes now that this monster is done work will resume on the anklebiter on monday! piratenanner.gif
It will be so refreshing to get back to working on metal...
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
ericread
Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's a deck. Here's an idea... idea.gif Put a roof over it, some walls around it, install a lift, set up a ramp and you've got a second garage.

Maybe this will provide you with the extra garage space you need to complete your Anklebiter project... lol3.gif

Eric

Wes V
I was thinking much the same thing!

Where is the round hole for the lift??

Wes
PeeGreen 914
Wow... You have a really big deck blink.gif av-943.gif headbang.gif

Get to working on that car happy11.gif I have been wondering when this thread was going to be updated aktion035.gif
plymouth37
Due to public outrage regarding my lack of progress I have decided to start working on the car again...

Today I started out by tack welding in backing panels for the windshield frame, I figure the more metal I can weld into this area the better.

Click to view attachment

I then clamped the windshield frame in place and took what felt like an hour to make sure it was where I wanted it. I intentionally left a gap between the frame and the cowl so I could get good penetration into the backing plates.

Click to view attachment

Then I welded and finished the area. After I buy the right sized hole saw I will drill into the back of the frame and weld its inner structure.

Click to view attachment

Here's how things are looking now.

Click to view attachment

You can put away your pitch forks and torches now. biggrin.gif
Wes V
pray.gif

Wes V
plymouth37
After finishing the windshield frame I went into the front trunk and removed all of the seam sealer. Since the car has no top I figure it won't be spending much time in the rain so seam sealer is unnecessary weight that can be done away with. I heated it with a torch and it came off pretty easily.

Click to view attachment

I have been keeping track of the weights of everything I have removed from the car so far and this junk is no exception.

Click to view attachment

By stripping the seam sealer I dropped 1.43 lbs which is equivalent to gaining 0.242 brake horsepower piratenanner.gifWOOHOO!piratenanner.gif

Click to view attachment
scotty b
So um how about some pics of the Plymouth stirthepot.gif
plymouth37

What are you bored with this project already? biggrin.gif
I'll try to dig some up, they are around here somewhere...
tdgray
Ummm... come on 10 days... WTH biggrin.gif
Wes V
QUOTE(tdgray @ Aug 8 2008, 08:21 AM) *

Don't you dare say that you are working on another deck!!

Wes
PeeGreen 914

agree.gif Or are you thinking that now that you have a big deck you don't need a sports car anymore laugh.gif
plymouth37

Just got in from a 10 day 2900 mile drive through the northwest corner of the country and yellowstone park, give me a couple days to recover and I will get back to work biggrin.gif .
nsr-jamie
Wow, just finding out about this project, looking forward for sure to see it done. Nice deck by the way beer.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Jul 28 2008, 05:45 PM) *

What are you bored with this project already? biggrin.gif
I'll try to dig some up, they are around here somewhere...

Ahem...... hop to it chuckles poke.gif
plymouth37
Here ya go Scotty.
This is an old picture I had laying around of the Plymouth next to the 914. This picture was taken about a month after I drug the 914 out of the field where it had been sitting since 1982.
I can't seem to find my box of old pics so this one is all I have to post now.
I love that car and will get to work on it once the anklebiter is done (someday dry.gif ).
Sorry for the poor quality picture, its all I got.
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.