Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Project Anklebiter Build Thread.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33
flyer86d
I love it with the parking lights. That pinpoints the origin.

Charlie
plymouth37
QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Jun 23 2023, 03:10 PM) *

That thing is just badass. Awesome fabrication. You seem like the type of guy who is going to fabricate everything one off, but there is a guy here.... beng295.... who looks like he has come up with a great looking solution for projector headlights/blinkers in the turn signal housing. Here's a ink to his site if you are interested:

https://3dgauto.com/

I have no affiliation with this vendor, but am considering buying a set myself.

That is pretty cool, I already bought the projectors and have designed the buckets already, I might reach out to see if I can buy some lenses though, I wasn't looking forward to figuring those out, good tip! Thanks!
plymouth37
Got the nose on, just kind of sitting there but hey, this looks like progress!
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I am going to make front tilt hinges (for real this time) next!
Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
Looking Good Dana!
tygaboy
OK, so I gotta say... Dana, this is so cool. You've accomplished the impossible:
You've messed with the basic 914 design in a major way and, IMO, improved it.
What an accomplishment! You should be very proud.
And, no pressure, but what the rear section going to look like? happy11.gif
plymouth37
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jun 26 2023, 12:08 PM) *

OK, so I gotta say... Dana, this is so cool. You've accomplished the impossible:
You've messed with the basic 914 design in a major way and, IMO, improved it.
What an accomplishment! You should be very proud.
And, no pressure, but what the rear section going to look like? happy11.gif

Thanks for the kind words! Yeah the back will be a similar approach, weld the lid to the fenders, reimagined but not too weird rear lights, Ferrari F430 diffuser (image 50 pages back or so), hopefully I can figure out how to hinge it from the back of the car like a Muira. Also debating adding a targa bar, we will see?
But first I need to get it out of Wyoming... idea.gif
plymouth37
Time to make the front hinges for real this time, for those of you following along I think this is the 3rd hinge design I have attempted for this, and i think it is the best solution.
I am making this out of bent angle steel and mounting into the front A-Arm mounts.
Click to view attachment

The lower you mount the pivot point the better these things open, staying below the bottom of the door ensures the back of the fender doesn't move back into the door as it opens.
Click to view attachment

Mocked up now, I am running a big old heim joint into a coupling nut, looks like it all works, time to weld it all together.
Click to view attachment

I picked up the 2 back mounting points, unfortunately the 3rd one in the front clashed with the heim joint threads, I will add that 3rd point eventually, and trim off excess material, this is good enough for mockups though.
Click to view attachment
plymouth37
Here you can see the hinge from above:
Click to view attachment

This simple pivot design works pretty well and is quite solid, I like it!
Click to view attachment

Next I need to mount some bump stops to the rear and I will dial in some nice door gaps, then latches!
Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Love this project. beerchug.gif
tygaboy
So f-ing epically COOL!!! I really hope I get to see this in person. And meet you, Dana. Would love to pick your brain about your build. Rock on, dude! aktion035.gif
slowrodent
Yeah... Certainly no shortage of rather genius/artistic solutions to problems on this site...but this build is most certainly up there...Not for the purists perhaps, but gets a solid A+ from me... first.gif
siverson
beerchug.gif
sixnotfour
beerchug.gif smilie_pokal.gif So Glad My Son and I visited.. Way back when in Wyoming...
plymouth37
Now that the hinges are done it is time to focus on the lid latches, i am using a bunch of street rod stuff for this, first one are adjustable bump stops, I installed a nutzert on the chassis. Apologies for the filthy chassis, after design is done this whole car will be pulled apart for a "restoration".
Click to view attachment

Then screwed in the bump stop, now i can set the height of the rear to a correct height.
Click to view attachment

For the latches I am using universal streetrod door latches, there will be one on each side of the cowl.
Click to view attachment

And for the release I found a cool double cable release that is meant for streetrods as well. it will simultaneously pop both latches.
Click to view attachment
plymouth37
Here is how I installed everything, the hinges bolt through the outside of the wheel well, this way when the hinge release mechanism fails you can unbolt it from outside the lid.
Click to view attachment

The release cable mounts to the tube frame with a billet motorcycle bracket.
Click to view attachment

now I will focus on the lid half of the mechanism and see if I can latch it.
Click to view attachment

914Sixer
Really beyond comprehension pray.gif
mgarrison
pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif
Simply amazing!
plymouth37
I am trying to get the door gaps right, my fenders are sucked in a bit:
Click to view attachment

I pie cut the inner structure of the fender:
Click to view attachment

then pulled it out a bit,
Click to view attachment

now they fit just right, I will bolt the door gaps together and weld the cuts to the proper contour:
Click to view attachment

But first I need to clean off the rest of the lid before welding.
Click to view attachment
plymouth37
Time to get rid of the orange fender paint, also there is a sneak peak of the other half of the hinge mechanism.
Click to view attachment

I picked out all of the old seam sealer.
Click to view attachment

Grind grind brush brush
Click to view attachment

Primer time!
Click to view attachment
plymouth37
Lid back on, will finish latches and weld that inner lip.
Click to view attachment
East coaster
Very cool project, lots of time spent thinking I’m sure!
tygaboy
The stunning spectacularness just keeps coming. Utter coolness to the power of 10. smilie_pokal.gif
Shivers
Very cool solution to securing the hood.
76-914
I'm always anxious to see your next process. As others have said, I'm amazed! @tygaboy Did you have to wrestle with Spell Check over your noun coinage? :shades2
plymouth37
I finished the upper latch pins, they bolt into the old hood hinge threaded holes. notice the cuts in the fender, I am dealing with those next.
Click to view attachment

Here is the lid latched for the first time, feels very secure and works like a charm!
Now to fix the fender gaps.
Click to view attachment

I bolted the fenders to the doors like this, it holds the fender to the right curvature while i weld the cuts in the back to set the shape.
Click to view attachment

Welder is in the other garage, drove it over and took the front wheels off.
Click to view attachment

With the fenders bolted in place I welded in a filler piece into the fender well, this will hold the proper shape of the fender and keep crap from flying into the door jamb.
Click to view attachment

Once the inside was tacked I could unbolt the fender gaps, tilt open the lid and weld the outside of the fender filler.
Click to view attachment
plymouth37
I like this shot, the state of affairs...
Click to view attachment

Since I had the car out of the garage I took it for a quick spin, I need to replace the timing belt before I gun it too hard, but it ran great, here are some images of it out of the shop:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
East coaster
Looks great!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.