Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Project Anklebiter Build Thread.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33
plymouth37
Yeah, that looks a little sketchy when the chassis is stripped. The suspension cross member bolts into that tab and a cross brace ties the whole assembly rearward to the tub, I tried to find a good picture in my photo archive but couldn't find one. Here is a shot of the bottom of the car, you can see the mounting points that the bolt in brace mounts to. With the suspension components directly behind this tab I feel like that is the most I can do to stabilize it, hopefully the brace along with the 1/8" plate I welded in there are sufficient.
Click to view attachment
McMark
By my thinking, that's pretty much how the cars are from the factory. You didn't really change anything structurally, just made it see-through. laugh.gif
plymouth37
QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 2 2012, 08:07 AM) *

By my thinking, that's pretty much how the cars are from the factory. You didn't really change anything structurally, just made it see-through. laugh.gif

I totally agree, it is scary when you "make the car see-through" and expose how little is actually holding the front end together!
wingnut86
Great idea!

Plexiglass portals in the body work to expose the cutaway "awesome-ness";-}
plymouth37
QUOTE(wingnut86 @ Oct 2 2012, 08:25 AM) *

Great idea!

Plexiglass portals in the body work to expose the cutaway "awesome-ness";-}

Or just make a plastic body like Pontiac did in '40 biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
If you tie that 1/8" plated tab back into the chassis like the red line denotes that should help detune the constant vibration that will crack the chassis over time. I see it as a long term issue more than a point of weakness that would cause sag or cowl shake.
scotty b
popcorn[1].gif poke.gif
trojanhorsepower
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jan 14 2013, 01:20 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif poke.gif

I agree!
wingnut86
I think he's still trying to finish his 1st year in his Masters program at The Nittany Lion.

Frikkin Dweebs happy11.gif
plymouth37
Yup, I accidentally got accepted to my dream school for my Masters degree in Architecture and had to move to Philly to attend UPenn (not Penn State). Not only did I have to leave the Anklebiter back home in Colorado, this program is so challenging I wouldn't have the time to work on it even if I had it here.
I still have every intention of finishing the project after grad school but I need to focus on kicking ass at school right now. Don't worry though, I haven't let this Ivy-league school take the mechanic out of me, I am taking a series of experimental robotics classes along with my Architecture classes so when I return to the car expect some pretty legit technology to make an appearance in the design.
To tide you over here is a fun little video of a design project I got to make last semester .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4auTp2tyFLM

Thanks for sticking with the build, I am really looking forward to getting back to it once my education goals get accomplished.
Kirmizi
Stick with your goals Dana!
Just think of all the new ideas you'll come up with when you get back to your project.
Good luck! beerchug.gif

Mike
Cairo94507
Best wishes in school. You are absolutely doing the right thing.
plymouth37
QUOTE(Woody @ Jan 18 2013, 01:13 PM) *

That is awesome! Thanks for posting that, I didn't even know!
Woody
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Jan 18 2013, 01:15 PM) *

QUOTE(Woody @ Jan 18 2013, 01:13 PM) *

That is awesome! Thanks for posting that, I didn't even know!

No problem. Keep up the good work. first.gif
stugray
I am taking a series of experimental robotics classes

Very cool! Tell us more! I have helped with a few robotics projects while at Ball. The last two were called Spirt & Opportunity.

Maybe we could turn the anklebiter into a transformer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUxzNZimhRo

Stu
scotty b
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Jan 18 2013, 10:39 AM) *

Yup, I accidentally got accepted to my dream school for my Masters degree in Architecture and had to move to Philly to attend UPenn (not Penn State). Not only did I have to leave the Anklebiter back home in Colorado, this program is so challenging I wouldn't have the time to work on it even if I had it here.
I still have every intention of finishing the project after grad school but I need to focus on kicking ass at school right now. Don't worry though, I haven't let this Ivy-league school take the mechanic out of me, I am taking a series of experimental robotics classes along with my Architecture classes so when I return to the car expect some pretty legit technology to make an appearance in the design.
To tide you over here is a fun little video of a design project I got to make last semester .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4auTp2tyFLM

Thanks for sticking with the build, I am really looking forward to getting back to it once my education goals get accomplished.

I'm sorry to inform you, but we at the 914 world, have decided you are too smart for this BBS. You are being asked to leave. Thanks for the input, but you have made too many here insecure.

BTW what's the song in the video ? smile.gif
Gint
Dana, does that mean you're coming back to Colorado after school?
plymouth37
QUOTE(stugray @ Jan 18 2013, 06:18 PM) *

I am taking a series of experimental robotics classes

Very cool! Tell us more! I have helped with a few robotics projects while at Ball. The last two were called Spirt & Opportunity.

LOL! Oh thats all? Just the rovers that redefined our understanding of Mars? That is awesome!
I am getting into really primitive stuff in comparison, mostly reactive architectural systems that are fed data by motion sensing cameras and accelerometers that then interface with an arduino to power servos. I have found a great niche that lets me be an Architect and a gear-head at the same time.

Scotty, here is the link to the song:Enter the Machine

And yes Gint, I am doing everything in my power to return to the Front Range area, it has really become home base for me and I plan to settle down there if I can find a good enough job after graduation.
MDG
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jan 18 2013, 08:25 PM) *

I'm sorry to inform you, but we at the 914 world, have decided you are too smart for this BBS. You are being asked to leave.

Yes sad.gif we're all sorry about this.

Please leave your 914 at the door on your way out.
KELTY360
QUOTE(MDG @ Jan 19 2013, 06:14 AM) *

QUOTE(scotty b @ Jan 18 2013, 08:25 PM) *

I'm sorry to inform you, but we at the 914 world, have decided you are too smart for this BBS. You are being asked to leave.

Yes sad.gif we're all sorry about this.

Please leave your 914 at the door on your way out.

I'll take the back half!
rnellums
If you end up manufacturing that "Crawler" sign me up smile.gif Might be good for scooting under cars to work on them too!

BTW, if you like Enter the machine you might want to give Phutureprimitive a try too.
CptTripps
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Aug 29 2008, 09:50 PM) *

Since I am doing so much to update the the cars looks I couldn't just use the stock mirrors. There are a lot of choices out there but i finally settled on 2006 Pontiac Solstice mirrors, they are quite a bit smaller (and cheaper!) than the Porsche Aero mirrors and I think they fit the cars style pretty well.
Click to view attachment

I couldn't remember where I saw a cool set of rear-view mirrors...and remembered this thread!

Just ordered a set for my new build. Holy crap are they cheap! $85 a set on eBay. Made sure I got the "Manual" set so I didn't have a bunch of motor-stuff to tear out.

Just thought it was worth mentioning that this thread helped me.
Chris H.
I'm looking at those or 99-05 Miata...Wonder if the Solstice mirrors fit in the stock location?
CptTripps
I'll find out and let you know in about a week. ;-)

I WILL be buying another set of Miata sun-visors though. That was a good upgrade on my last 914.
plymouth37
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Aug 26 2013, 08:32 AM) *

Wonder if the Solstice mirrors fit in the stock location?

Here is a shot of how they fit, not an easy bolt on but not hard either, you need to re-contour the base of them to match the curvature of the door and drill 3 pretty huge holes. You can see the stock bolt holes in the door for reference.
Glad I could help Tripps!
Click to view attachment
CptTripps
I dug into this a few days ago and fear that I REALLY messed up the angle on the passenger window. I was clearly using the wrong tools. I think this would be easier with a belt-sander where I could use the rounded end to keep it more consistent.

I put the brakes on it for a few days until I can get the right tools. I love the look of them, and think they'd be a great replacement. I've got time before I need to have them mocked up.

I'm also going to add arrow LEDs behind the glass, so (luckily) I got the glass off in one piece.
2mAn
love this build. I was really hoping it would be completed by the time I got to the end, damn school!
stugray
BRZ/FR-S/ft86 mirrors also look like they would be a nice fit:

IPB Image
KELTY360
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Jun 9 2008, 11:08 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Here's the plan:

Tub up restoration/customization (no cutting corners here).
Speedster styling.
40" tall
Under 1800 pounds.
320 horsepower WRX engine.

Let the games begin!

Man, I really miss this thread. sad.gif

Hey Dana, if you're still subscribed, check in and say hi. bye1.gif

Note: for a quick refresher, see post #506.
El Vikingo Tropical
Just amazing.
Don't paint it! Just leave it with clear coat don't hyde your handcraft. It's a master piece
RJMII
Dana?
You still around?
Rand
seriously, this one can't die.

Dana, what's going on in your life these days?
rick 918-S
agree.gif popcorn[1].gif
trojanhorsepower
Me to!
nsyr
Didn't he say he was taking a couple years off for school?
scotty b
QUOTE(nsyr @ Jan 15 2015, 06:55 PM) *

yes and IIRC he moved to Pa confused24.gif

Yep, thar tis post 1010

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...42&st=1010#
SirAndy
Somebody poke him ... poke.gif
Rand
Where is he active online? Anybody Facebook friends with Dana?

Time's fun when you're having flies. Seems like it's been longer now.
76-914
IIRC, I read on one of the Suby forums that it was in another garage or hands presently. I'll see if I can locate that thread to confirm.
76-914
here's the link. read down a few posts on page 2
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread...5822&page=2
Mike Bellis
One of us is going to get a great deal on a highly modified 914 project someday... happy11.gif

welder.gif smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif stirthepot.gif driving.gif cheer.gif
Chris H.
I think they just reference the anklebiter in that thread Kent. The yellow car is not it. Cool car though!

Mike you need another project biggrin.gif ! I saw a W8 engine for sale on Craigslist and thought of you.
plymouth37
Hey Everybody,

I just wanted to check in and see how everybody is doing. Finally the end of the Anklebiter's long hiatus is drawing to a close. I just started my last semester at UPenn, which means this summer will see my joyful return to the garage! piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

In other news I have just accepted a job with ZGF Architects in Seattle so look out Northwest Contingent, you are about to gain a member!

I look forward to becoming more active on the forum soon, I have been so busy over the last 3 years the internet has become a luxury, to see the work that has been keeping me from you check out DaneStokes.com
914werke
Very Cool! Congratulations!
So that'll mean we'll get to see this project up close & personal!
CptTripps
Can't wait to have you back! This project is bar-none my favorite on the site, so I can hardly wait to see it on the road.
KELTY360
WooHoo!! piratenanner.gif

Great to see you check in, Dana. Congrats on you success at Penn. Excited to hear you'll be coming to Seattle and we get to see the Anklebiter's progress. Let me know if you need any assistance in the relocation.
KELTY360
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Jan 26 2015, 07:45 AM) *

Very Cool! Congratulations!
So that'll mean we'll get to see this project up close & personal!

I've seen it in person, Rich.....the front was on one side of the garage and the rear was at the other. Very impressive, and disorienting.
Cairo94507
Glad to see you almost back. Looking forward to seeing your project move forward. Keep up the excellent work.
Randal
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Jan 26 2015, 07:38 AM) *

Hey Everybody,

I just wanted to check in and see how everybody is doing. Finally the end of the Anklebiter's long hiatus is drawing to a close. I just started my last semester at UPenn, which means this summer will see my joyful return to the garage! piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

In other news I have just accepted a job with ZGF Architects in Seattle so look out Northwest Contingent, you are about to gain a member!

I look forward to becoming more active on the forum soon, I have been so busy over the last 3 years the internet has become a luxury, to see the work that has been keeping me from you check out DaneStokes.com

Get the puppy done and come run some NW hill climbs with "222"!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.