Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Project Anklebiter Build Thread.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33
plymouth37
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Sep 9 2019, 11:27 AM) *

Curious about what you are thinking for the body- GT look obviously but something like a Sheridan kit or steel panels with steel flares custom made like your original concept pics?

Full steel GT body, it is pretty much ready to go just need to weld the lids to the fenders to form clamshells. Main problem is it is in Wyoming and I am not, anybody want to haul them to the PNW for me?
Other than minor stuff like headlights, mirrors etc.. it will be fairly stock looking as far as the body goes other than the roadsterification of course.

(man I miss that big shop)

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
I look forward to one day seeing this car in person. beerchug.gif
Andyrew
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Sep 9 2019, 01:51 PM) *

I look forward to one day seeing this car in person. beerchug.gif

agree.gif
plymouth37
Come see the Anklebiter at the 914 Turnout this weekend!

914 Turnout

I will be there at the tech session on Saturday morning. Look forward to seeing everybody!
plymouth37
Click to view attachment
We took part in the PNW 914 turnout tech session, it took place at Porsche of Tacoma, about an hour from our place, loaded on a trailer, managed to dodge most of the rain!

Click to view attachment
Good turnout of all flavors of 914s. My dad and kiddo had a blast!

Click to view attachment
This is the first time my car has been in a dealership in about half a century!

Click to view attachment
GT3s make good backgrounds

Click to view attachment
Got a good chance to talk about the car and what is has taken to get to this point, as well as future goals, over all a great event, thanks to Billy for making this possible, it was a lot of fun!
plymouth37
As those of you who have been watching this build for a while may know, the body for the car is still in Wyoming, I didn't have room on my trailer when I brought the chassis to Washington. Now that the chassis is fairly complete the next thing to work on is the nose of the car.
Click to view attachment

I have struggled to find a cheap way to get the body out west, but I think I found the answer, Greyhound Bus, or more specifically GPX freight, some discount shipping service that uses Greyhound. They only wanted $175 to ship the entire front end, what a deal! I am in Wyoming visiting family so I figured I should go for it and ship the nose home.
Click to view attachment

I had a feeling these things were not going to be handled with great care so I built crates that will hopefully keep everything safe, no bubble wrap spared here!
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
All ready to go!

Click to view attachment
Loaded it in the truck and dropped it off at the Greyhound Station in Laramie, here goes nothing!
914forme
Best of luck, I like the packaging, about to do the same with some fenders.

Good hint on GPX
Ferg
Great news!
plymouth37
Look what made it out west!
Click to view attachment

Let the unboxing begin!
Click to view attachment

Reunited after about 7 years... time flies when you are busy doing other stuff!
Click to view attachment

Here is a quick mockup, more to come soon!
Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
That is a milestone for the build; reunited after 7 years. I love this build and always enjoy the progress photos.
rhodyguy
That's some pretty exciting stuff. 14.gif
914werke
Whoo Hoo!! piratenanner.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(914werke @ Jan 27 2020, 01:01 PM) *

Whoo Hoo!! piratenanner.gif

agree.gif

Can't believe how big your shop helper is getting!
twistedstang
Saw the progress pics last night. Had to come back this morning and look again. Amazing car.
plymouth37
I mocked up and trimmed the rockers, aligned the doors and got everything relatively straight.
Click to view attachment

I got the fenders mocked up, got the gaps good, threw on the bumpers to generally test fitment.
Click to view attachment

I am re-thinking the hinge system in the front, after mocking it up I can get away with a simple pivot point off of the front of the chassis.
Click to view attachment

I pulled off the fender and ground off the old hinge points and started stripping it.
Click to view attachment
porschetub
Impressive build ,have been following this,IMO the raked windscreen really gives the car a more modern look .
plymouth37
I threw some primer on the interior portions of the fenders after cleaning them up, whole new world doing metal work in the wet PNW, I used to be able to leave metal bare for years in Wyo/Co, not any more!
Click to view attachment

Took the front wheels off, then started getting the fenders aligned for real with good door gaps, forgot how fiddly body work is...
This is to set the exact location for the front pivot point, get the fenders in the right spot, mark it, add pivot points, then weld the hood on.
Click to view attachment

Had to do a bit of clearancing on the chassis but everything fits snug now.
Click to view attachment

But now for the most important bit of news, I am upgrading my shop to 220, I used to have to drag a 50' extension cord to our dryer plug in the house to weld, which pretty much kept me from welding at all, not any more! Never had the luxury of just being able to turn on a welder and go, should be life changing for all of the panel welding I have on the horizon!
Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Great picture. Teach them young that life requires work. Love your project. beerchug.gif
plymouth37
Well good news and bad news, bad news is we are under shelter in place orders for the foreseeable future, good news is I am sheltering in my garage...

Quick little project to start off, I think the lack of wipers on the car is the only actual violation on the car, time to make that situation a little less obvious...
I bought some manual golf cart wipers, I like their blacked out minimal design.
Click to view attachment

Then modified them to be straight and short enough for the chopped windshield.
Click to view attachment

Then bolted them on....
Click to view attachment

whistle[1].gif

plymouth37
Now onto some real work, I am rethinking the front tilt hinges and going to a simple pivot in the front, this causes issues in other spots but that is a problem for another day.
Click to view attachment

I prepped the fenders for their new attachment points:
Click to view attachment

And welded them on:
Click to view attachment
plymouth37
Looks like a butcher shop in here! sawzall-smiley.gif
Click to view attachment
plymouth37
I cut off the old tilt front brackets, and cleaned up the front a little bit.
Click to view attachment

Welded in the mounts for the new front pivots.
Click to view attachment

Then mounted the fenders to the new mounts.
Click to view attachment
dan10101
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Apr 13 2020, 08:16 AM) *

I cut off the old tilt front brackets, and cleaned up the front a little bit.

Welded in the mounts for the new front pivots.

Then mounted the fenders to the new mounts.

Nice work!
I can't wait to see it tilt.
Asheikh
I Absolutely love this build!
MidshipMadness
Very cool project!
plymouth37
Now that I am setting panel gaps for real I need to make some tools to hold panels in the correct location. I cut out all the ingredients for some panel clamps.
Click to view attachment

Welded them up.
Click to view attachment

I also 3D printed some panel spacers.
Click to view attachment
plymouth37
i am pretty pleased with the 3D printed door spacers, they hold the gap perfect.
Click to view attachment

Other clamps are working well too.
Click to view attachment

Now the fenders really seem to be in the right spot and ready to meet the hood.
Click to view attachment
Asheikh
do u still have your break active spoiler....? can you please share more information on it
plymouth37
QUOTE(Asheikh @ Apr 16 2020, 11:02 AM) *

do u still have your break active spoiler....? can you please share more information on it

I may make another one, that was a relay logic board (would use an arduino now) powering a couple linear actuators attached to a cut portion of the original trunk lid.
didn't have it for long, can't even find a pic!
plymouth37
I used a flat sheet held against the cage to mark the inner wheelwell that needed to be clearanced.
Click to view attachment

Then marked and cut out the excess material.
Click to view attachment

Finally I mocked up the front end for the 100th time, this time though I bolted them onto the pivots, then temporarily reinforced with an appropriate amount of plywood sawzall-smiley.gif
Click to view attachment
plymouth37
Test tilt time!
Click to view attachment

Heck yeah! Hood prep is next!
Click to view attachment
76-914
Very nice indeed. Maybe this will be the year! beerchug.gif
Root_Werks
Gotta love it when something actually works as planned! Well done!
plymouth37
QUOTE(76-914 @ Apr 23 2020, 04:09 PM) *

Maybe this will be the year! beerchug.gif

I've been saying that for 10 years...
KELTY360
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Apr 23 2020, 02:32 PM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Apr 23 2020, 04:09 PM) *

Maybe this will be the year! beerchug.gif

I've been saying that for 10 years...

Yeah, we know. shades.gif I still get chills remembering logging into your thread and seeing you’d cut the car in half!
plymouth37
Now onto the hood, I got this lid in a trade and it has always felt a little heavy to me, lets see what is lurking under this paint!
Click to view attachment

Merry Christmas, your present is Bondo!
Click to view attachment

A lot of it!
Click to view attachment

After stripping away pounds of Bondo it looks like this lid is actually pretty clean, it just suffered from the two most common injuries that happen to these lids. The dent where you put your hand to close it, someone closed the lid on a strangely shaped, too big object, oh and there are a few rock dings.

I can totally work with this, an afternoon with a hammer and dolly will get this straight, I think the last person just added Bondo until the high points were hidden, yikes!
Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Really taking shape now. Can wait to see it all buttoned up and running. beerchug.gif
plymouth37
Cleaned up the back.
Click to view attachment

ohh shiny! drooley.gif
Oh the 220V to the garage is done too, trench is almost undetectable already!
Click to view attachment

Then shot the whole thing in primer again, looks about the same as before but about 10 pounds lighter!
Click to view attachment
dan10101
Nicely done. first.gif
Mueller
That tilting front end section is next level stuff, great job.
914werke
I thought you might strip the steel skin & replace it with Alum or FG.
plymouth37
QUOTE(914werke @ Apr 27 2020, 11:39 AM) *

I am welding the lid to the fenders to make it a single piece, might take a mold off it when it's done. idea.gif
Root_Werks
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Apr 27 2020, 11:06 AM) *

QUOTE(914werke @ Apr 27 2020, 11:39 AM) *

I am welding the lid to the fenders to make it a single piece, might take a mold off it when it's done. idea.gif

You'd think you could lose some of the factory bracing since the hood won't have to support itself anymore. A little less weight. Very cool!
plymouth37
I am going to need to do 2 welds on each side of the hood to attach it to fill the panel gap. I cut a 1/4" wide strip of 1/8' steel and tacked it on.
Click to view attachment

Between the fold in the fender and the 1/8" material I could sink some good heat into the tacks, but went slow and tacked every inch or so, then every 1/2" then slowly filled in the gaps.
Click to view attachment

3 feet of weld down, 9 more to go!
Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
He had fiberglass F&R Hoods, My son and I drove over to WY. and traded, Bovy got the rear I have the head-lite delete front, Dana got steel F&R.. Late night Winter night trade...luckily the roads where open..
Wish I find the pic. of Chris standing next to the ANKLBTR.2011. beerchug.gif
Asheikh
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Apr 23 2020, 01:47 PM) *

I may make another one, that was a relay logic board (would use an arduino now) powering a couple linear actuators attached to a cut portion of the original trunk lid.

I found the video for it. I downloaded it 13 years ago aktion035.gif

plymouth37
I got both filler strips welded on
Click to view attachment

Ground the weld down 75% of the way or so, filler strips are also still wide.
You can see I also masked the edges of the hood when I primered it so I have a clean edge to weld to, forethought? What's that?
Click to view attachment

I mounted the fenders, laid the lid on them, now I will mark and cut the hood opening, then weld it in.
Click to view attachment
plymouth37
QUOTE(Asheikh @ May 4 2020, 05:23 AM) *

QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Apr 23 2020, 01:47 PM) *

I found the video for it. I downloaded it 13 years ago aktion035.gif

aktion035.gif haha, forgot how cool that was! Damn I look young!
plymouth37
I got the fenders aligned and mounted.
Click to view attachment

Cut down my oversized fenders to fit the lid, (sheetmetal screw included for added accuracy).
Click to view attachment

Here we go!
Click to view attachment

Hood is tacked on, gaps still look good, time to fully weld the lid on and move on to rebuilding the front inner sheet metal.
Click to view attachment
plymouth37
Finished welding the lid on, also welded in a filler panel for the old radiator opening.
Click to view attachment

I am going to re-cut the front opening once I get the bumper figured out but I really think the hole can be much smaller than it was before. We were just copying the design for the V8 cars at the time but I think that is way oversized now that I have lived with the car for a while.
Click to view attachment

Then I finished the welds, should be able to finish this seam with a light skim coat of filler.
(found another dent in the hood too biggrin.gif )
Click to view attachment

Next I am going to rebuild the structure that attaches the front hood structure to the nose of the car and make some headlight filler pieces.
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.