Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Project Anklebiter Build Thread.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33
Matty900
Awesome work Dana!! Keep the momentum going beerchug.gif
76-914
The more I see of your work the more I realize how little I know! sad.gif
flyer86d
This is my favorite build!

Charlie
Andyrew
Way to cool!
JRust
piratenanner.gif Hell yeah Dana that is looking great
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Jun 3 2020, 02:08 PM) *

Next I am going to rebuild the structure that attaches the front hood structure to the nose of the car and make some headlight filler pieces.
Click to view attachment

Awesome work as usual. Such a cool build.

Pic above reminds me: Why does the 914's nose always look so good when the headlights and their trims are missing? There's just something right about those voids in relation to the other shapes of the front end.

Not that I know what to do with them...other than fill them or reinstall the headlights.
plymouth37
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Jun 8 2020, 01:44 PM) *

QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Jun 3 2020, 02:08 PM) *

Next I am going to rebuild the structure that attaches the front hood structure to the nose of the car and make some headlight filler pieces.

Awesome work as usual. Such a cool build.

Pic above reminds me: Why does the 914's nose always look so good when the headlights and their trims are missing? There's just something right about those voids in relation to the other shapes of the front end.

Not that I know what to do with them...other than fill them or reinstall the headlights.

I totally agree, I was admiring the proportions of those openings as well, but yeah what do you do with that information is a harder question.

Vector W8 pop-down headlights?
Click to view attachment
plymouth37
Whipped up some cad templates...
Click to view attachment

Transferred them to steel.
Click to view attachment

Tacked them in.
Click to view attachment

Finished the welds to about 90% and shaped the front edge, need to rethink the cowl separation line next then we can do a test tilt with the complete nose!
Click to view attachment
eric9144
drooley.gif popcorn[1].gif
Rand
Really like the updates. This project is too epic to die. Gotta be tough keeping it alive with everything else in life, but dooood!! Cheering for you.
Rand
I always wanted to shave the popup headlights. But they have grown on me and they are a part of the soul of the car. Don't look back I guess. Where will the new headlights go? Not that DOT matters. wink.gif
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Jun 19 2020, 12:16 PM) *

I totally agree, I was admiring the proportions of those openings as well, but yeah what do you do with that information is a harder question.

Vector W8 pop-down headlights?
Click to view attachment

Totally missed this—apologies. Your Vector-style pop-down headlights are a genius idea...would provide a change to keep the shape of 914 headlights without the "busy" brow.

QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Jun 19 2020, 12:34 PM) *

Tacked them in.
Click to view attachment

Finished the welds to about 90% and shaped the front edge, need to rethink the cowl separation line next then we can do a test tilt with the complete nose!
Click to view attachment

Buuuut, you are well on your way now. Suspect this will also look great.
B.Curvin
Awesome awesome awesome. First post here. I read the your whole thread. Any updates?
Dion
What an amazing build. Just read this whole thread. Wow. beerchug.gif
badcatt
I'm looking forward to the next instalment of The Anklebiter Build. I hope the winter was good to you.
Rand
Snort. Slough. Snithch. Dang, you wake me up. Snnghgph.

Sometimes work and life gets in the way. Imagine that.
Shivers
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Apr 23 2020, 02:47 PM) *

QUOTE(Asheikh @ Apr 16 2020, 11:02 AM) *

do u still have your break active spoiler....? can you please share more information on it

I may make another one, that was a relay logic board (would use an arduino now) powering a couple linear actuators attached to a cut portion of the original trunk lid.
didn't have it for long, can't even find a pic!

I thought that video was so cool. That brake looked functional.
siverson
I love this build and hope to see it in person some day.

-Steve
AZBanks
Any new developments?
914werke
Hey Dana here is a icon_bump.gif
hope you are still tweezing on the Anklebiter. smile.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(914werke @ Nov 3 2022, 12:23 PM) *

agree.gif @plymouth37 hope you’re doing well these days, Dana.
plymouth37
I'm BAAACK! Actually, I never really left, just did a couple other projects, built a house, took about a year off the car, but never fear, progress has been made, and now it is time to share the last year of work with you.

Here is where I left off, the front clamshell was just about together, just waiting for a bumper and some bodywork:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
plymouth37
I went to bolt on my fiberglass stock-ish bumper and just could not talk myself into liking the look of it, I have just modified this car too much to bolt on something off the shelf. I started researching 916 bumpers and a post on 914 world resonated with me, someone complained that fiberglass 916 bumpers fit so bad that they might as well build one themselves, so that is what I planned to do. The new bumper will be made from steel and modeled after a new take on the 916/Porsche design aesthetic.

This is my design inspiration board, a hint of 916, some contemporary Porsche, and a hint of the similarly styled wrx.
Click to view attachment

Using the wrx grills as a loose starting place I did some sketching in Photoshop to get in the ballpark
Click to view attachment
plymouth37
I started feeling out the shape by buying a 2014 wrx grill set and trying to integrate them into the 914 with chip board, still rough but I am starting to get a sense of the 3-dimensional shape that will be required to get everything to flow together.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
plymouth37
After I got that in the ballpark I remade my templates and mirrored them for the other side, there are still some waves in the template seams but I have a trick for that.
Stay tuned for next week where I get out the tubing roller and start welding in some structure!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
plymouth37
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Nov 3 2022, 03:46 PM) *

QUOTE(914werke @ Nov 3 2022, 12:23 PM) *

agree.gif @plymouth37 hope you’re doing well these days, Dana.

beerchug.gif

Hi Friends! Thanks for checking in!
914werke
aktion035.gif
914Sixer
Really like the look, late Cayman style
burton73
Great to see you back on this fantastic build. Very tasteful custom job

Best Bob B
first.gif
g911
piratenanner.gif
infraredcalvin
I think you nailed it with your design, fits right in with overall car aesthetic. Only critique I have (and it’s an over the top item) is the big plastic inserts, including the grill don’t tie into the all metal look of the car….
Krieger
WOW! This might be my all time favorite front end for the 914. I can't wait to see your work on this!
JeffBowlsby
Followed this for a long time, what a great project.

You have good eye for design Dana, obviously. Does the non-parallel curvature of the outer bumper edge and front trunk lid edge give you any pause or concern?
autopro
That front end is coming out great! beerchug.gif
rjames
Love what you're doing for the front end! smilie_pokal.gif
siverson
Wow! Nice work!
r_towle
I’m so happy you are still working on this!
tazz9924
This is one of the two (likely more) main cars that inspired me to build mine!
Cairo94507
So glad to see progress on your car Dana. I like the direction the front end is taking. beerchug.gif
plymouth37
One of the most distinctive design characteristics of many Porsches new and old is the rounded transition from the hood surface to the vertical bumper surface, as you can see in this random assortment of Porsche bumpers:
Click to view attachment

This would be a really hard dual curvature piece to fabricate so I figured out a hack, I bought a relatively cheap tubing roller at Harbor Freight and some .0625 wall 1.5" tubing and rolled the shape I wanted into it. It isn't a continuous curve, it is a little more rounded in the middle, and a hair flatter around the side grill areas
Click to view attachment

Then I duct taped it into place:
Click to view attachment

I had initially planned to cut out a quarter of this tube and butt weld it to the other sheet metal but it doesn't weigh much, and i kind of like the idea of an integrated bash bar in here so I think I will leave it whole and build the rest of the bumper around it.
Click to view attachment
plymouth37
After rolling out the tube I cut out some sheet metal for the hood extension
Click to view attachment

Then welded the tube to the inner structure of the nose, and tacked the hood metal into place:
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Next I put the template back on and gave it a look, definitely getting there, don't worry about the plastic grills, they are only for reference, I have a better final piece planned for those spots biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment
plymouth37
Time to fabricate the front of the bumper, I started by bending 1/8" steel round stock into frames for the fog light housing.
Click to view attachment

I am not going to use these plastic pieces but they make great mirrored templates for the opening shape that I need to integrate into the bumper.
Click to view attachment

Then i transferred my chipboard template from the bumper to a sheet of steel, I decided to make the bumper out of 3 pieces, the 2 complex corner pieces and a simple middle rectangle between them.
Click to view attachment

I tacked the corners along their top to the curved tubing and folded them into shape, then clamped the fog light housing frames to them to find where everything needed to land.
Click to view attachment
plymouth37
After much fiddling and hammering I got the corner pieces tacked into place.
Click to view attachment

The round stock I formed for the foglight housings is tacked inside the bumper opening to form a radiused transition.
Click to view attachment

Here it is lightly tacked in and with the temporary Foglight housings but I am pretty happy with the results, I will fill in the middle and the weird hole in the corners next time!
Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
popcorn[1].gif beerchug.gif wub.gif
worn
Fantastic from start to…well, here. Really great. I have one concern. When I lived out there you could buy reasonably fresh coffee at a place with two outlets: Pike Place Market and University Village. Star something. Might want to ditch the Folgers habit if those little coffee bean vendors are still around. The down side is that bolts don’t fit as good in Mylar bags as they do in plastic or metal cans. Thou dothe rocke.
tygaboy
You and your build are epically epic in your/its epicness. pray.gif

You are setting the bar for 914 customization and I think your car is the ONLY one I've seen where the styling changes not only work, but are, IMHO, improvements.

You've accomplished something that, in other hands, would have certainly gone horribly wrong and has instead turned out SOOOOO incredibly well.

I can't compliment you more highly. Wow.

I'll just stop here and drool over your work for a bit longer... w00t.gif wub.gif
plymouth37
Thanks for the kind words guys!

Tacked in the center piece:
Click to view attachment

Filled the little corner gaps around the tube ends and half welded everything together:
Click to view attachment

Finished welding:
Click to view attachment

With a little light grinding it is starting to take shape!
Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
QUOTE(worn @ Dec 2 2022, 04:52 PM) *

Fantastic from start to…well, here. Really great. I have one concern. When I lived out there you could buy reasonably fresh coffee at a place with two outlets: Pike Place Market and University Village. Star something. Might want to ditch the Folgers habit if those little coffee bean vendors are still around. The down side is that bolts don’t fit as good in Mylar bags as they do in plastic or metal cans. Thou dothe rocke.

Haha,, He is EAST of all that Downtown BS...Im Sure there is some Designer Coffee shops though...

Great Work..
East coaster
Nice work! Awaiting to see how you finish off that center section, I’m sure it will be good based on all you’ve done so far.
plymouth37
Before I moved on to the grills and lips I filled and primed the hood extension to cut down on the Frankenstien weld aesthetic I had going on there.
Click to view attachment

I got it close to straight, good enough for now, now on to the front bumper fab:
Click to view attachment

I made some templates for the fog light housing buckets, and started mocking up the lip for the center grill opening:
Click to view attachment

This lower bar will divide the air between the radiator and the active under tray that leads to the Ferrari diffuser at the back, as well as providing a sturdy mounting point for the new front tilt system. I like the look of the "pouty" 916 bumper and will try to have a bit of that going on here:
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.