Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cairo's (Michael) 6 - Part 2
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37
Socalandy
biggrin.gif
Socalandy
smile.gif
Socalandy
driving.gif
Socalandy
biggrin.gif
Socalandy
Goodnight all yellowsleep[1].gif
Cairo94507
Holy Cow! You guys seriously got it done today. I wish I was there. That was a lot of progress in one day. I am amazed. Thanks for all of the hard work and thank you Andy for taking and posting all of the pics. Now please have a cold beer. beerchug.gif
ndfrigi
So Beautiful! Congrats Michael!
Looks like a new 914 kit that you can buy from a delear and just need to be assembled!
Hope before this car will go back to his own town, Jaime (oldschool) should make a documentation for Andy’s (socalandy) yellow 914-6 wide body, Jim’s (banananose914) tangerine narrow body and Michael’s (cairo94507) narrow body.

A wonderful and perfect metal built by Kent.

TravisNeff
The overhead front trunk shot is amazing.
horizontally-opposed
Go Andy! smilie_pokal.gif

Irish Green...perhaps my favorite factory color for the 914, and one that suits its shape so well. This car is gonna be gorgeous.

So is the plan to re-block the exterior once it's all weighted up?
rangrbob
Hey Mike,

It looks beautiful! Though, aren't you a just a little bit scared of getting over spray on all the installed parts once the rest of the body gets painted?

I can't wait to see the finished project. It's been a very long time coming. You have to be so excited. piratenanner.gif

Karl.
bigkensteele
QUOTE(rangrbob @ Dec 3 2018, 04:53 PM) *

Hey Mike,

It looks beautiful! Though, aren't you a just a little bit scared of getting over spray on all the installed parts once the rest of the body gets painted?

I can't wait to see the finished project. It's been a very long time coming. You have to be so excited. piratenanner.gif

Karl.

agree.gif Was thinking the same exact thing...
mepstein
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Dec 3 2018, 08:39 PM) *

QUOTE(rangrbob @ Dec 3 2018, 04:53 PM) *

Hey Mike,

Karl.

agree.gif Was thinking the same exact thing...

As careful as Ken and crew have been about holding this car, I bet there won’t be a speck of overspray. These guys are really nailing this build and Michael deserves it.
Cairo94507
Thank you guys. I have 1000% confidence in Kent wrapping my car so tight not a speck of overspray will get in anywhere. I actually like they are able to get all of this stuff installed before it becomes a roller. It makes this stuff a whole lot easier to do. beerchug.gif
Socalandy
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Dec 3 2018, 10:09 AM) *

Go Andy! smilie_pokal.gif

Irish Green...perhaps my favorite factory color for the 914, and one that suits its shape so well. This car is gonna be gorgeous.

So is the plan to re-block the exterior once it's all weighted up?

Kent, Jim and Bob completes the team!!! Thanks

Jim’s and my car were done using the same process, no over spray sunglasses.gif this is obviously after color sanding was done
Cairo94507
That's a great photo Andy. beer3.gif
Tdskip
Wow guys - two amazing cars there now!
Cairo94507
So we were having a front strut issue, the Bilstein inserts did not fit. Shortly after I bought my Six, (Feb. 2010) I purchased a set of struts complete w/brakes and rotors off a 911 SC from Parts Heaven in Hayward. They assured me the car these came from was a '79 SC, they were still on the car when I was there and they pulled them while I waited. I had a '79 SC back in '80, so I am familiar.

I had purchased the SC struts after talking with Eric Shea, so that I would have the 3.5" mounting for larger brakes calipers. Once I got that stuff I sent my SC front calipers to Eric for restoration and after discussing the goal for my car, he suggested I upgrade to the early aluminum S calipers which I did.

So my car and all of my parts then go cross country for restoration. Years later I get my car and parts and take it to the Justice League (Jim, Kent, Andy and Bob) for restoration. I then take the struts that were given to me as the ones I sent with my car, which are now completely disassembled, so I do not have the insert or the strut caps, and take them to Elephant Racing to have the spindles raised 17mm. The first shop tried to do this but could not get the spindle to come free from the strut. Elephant Racing handled the job and they came out beautifully.

Now we come to find out, when the Bilstein inserts would not fit, that I ended up with '74-'77 Carrera 2.7 struts..... I have no idea where the mix-up occurred....but I have my thoughts. I emailed the first shop re the situation and parts I am missing but have yet to hear anything. In his defense, he is apparently extremely busy. I am hoping this all works out as I am into these front struts for a bit of money at this point and really do not want to have to do this all over.

I think Sunday Jim and crew will be installing the struts to get my car on the ground. Hopefully it all works out. Anyway, this emphasizes the absolute need for every single part to be labeled, bagged and tagged when disassembled. That did not happen with my car when it was taken apart. popcorn[1].gif
Tdskip
Hope it gets sorted
Cairo94507
I have complete confidence in Jim and his crew. It will be on its wheels before you know it. beerchug.gif
sixnotfour
just wondering, in your 1st episode you had bilstein struts ...green
mb911
Michael. Correct me if I am wrong here but is there any difference between carrera (early) vs SC? I always thought as long as they are bilstein and 3.5 inch they are interchangeable regardless of year?
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 8 2018, 03:04 PM) *

Michael. Correct me if I am wrong here but is there any difference between carrera (early) vs SC? I always thought as long as they are bilstein and 3.5 inch they are interchangeable regardless of year?

There is actually an early Billstein 3.5 insert and a later one. The cutoff is mid 85 but I don’t know what the difference is. I think it’s just slightly different stiffness. Then there is the Billstein inserts for 3 & 3.5 Boges

For Michael’s shocks, I have a feeling he ended up with 3.5 Boge shocks or maybe 3”. It should be pretty easy to determine what shocks he has now, even after getting the spindles raised.
mb911
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 8 2018, 01:10 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 8 2018, 03:04 PM) *

There is actually an early Billstein 3.5 and a later one. The cutoff is mid 85 but I don’t know what the difference is. I think it’s just slightly different stiffness.

For Michael’s shocks, I have a feeling he ended up with 3.5 Boge shocks or maybe 3”. It should be pretty easy to determine what shocks he has now, even after getting the spindles raised.

Mark that's what I suspect as well.
mepstein
The 3.5 Billstein inserts for Billstein struts use a roll pin to secure the insert to the base of the shock. Boges don’t use a roll pin so it’s easy to spot the difference.
Cairo94507
I believe mine have the pin; I hope that helps. I am pretty clueless regarding the differences and am relying upon the experts. beerchug.gif
sixnotfour
ya its a different insert than for boge struts
Tdskip
Oh man, that all looks good.
mb911
Looks great.. 1st time I have ever seen the lower brace welded on to struts for the steering. Assuming this is for controlling bump steer on a lowered car?
DRPHIL914
I noticed the front sway bar is not in yet. Are you going with stock or after market on that?
Cairo94507
Yup. Elephant Racing modification as I want to lower the Six about 1-1.5" from stock ride height. I just think they look good a bit lower than stock. So we raised the spindle about 17mm to help offset the lowering and then did the gusset, etc. to control/prevent bump steer. Hopefully it all works as intended.

Before we raised the spindles I had Harvey Weidman ship one of my widened deep six wheels (7" total, widened 1" on the back side) back to the shop where my car was from May 2012 to July 2017, to check everything for fitment/clearance before we raised the spindle. I was told it was all good and 17mm would be perfect. The wheel was then shipped back to Weidman for finish work. Elephant Racing ultimately did the spindle raise as the other shop was unable to do it.
infraredcalvin
Seems odd to me that you would upgrade the front struts and not upgrade the rear with a more fine tunaeable coilover...??? Also not a fan of the black strut dust covers vs bilstein green.

I guess that’s about all I can critique, your car is looking awesome!
Cairo94507
No worries and thank you. I have been thinking about the rear coilover upgrade and we may need to do that to get the rear to sit where I want it. But for now, we are just trying to get it to "roller" status so it can come off the rotisserie and get the rest of the body shot and then go to Jim's. beerchug.gif
Cairo94507
We have stock later model sway bars going on front and rear. The 914-6 never came with sway bars as far as I am aware. But I sourced a pair from a '73 if I recall correctly.
raynekat
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Dec 10 2018, 07:03 AM) *

Seems odd to me that you would upgrade the front struts and not upgrade the rear with a more fine tunaeable coilover...???

Yes....your car deserves a set of these from Elephant Racing.

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
I agree. I do believe there is a set of those in my cars future. I really want it to sit where I want it to sit and that is the best way to do it. beerchug.gif
billh1963
Wow! It's becoming a car beerchug.gif
Cairo94507
My car has finally landed on its wheels after 6 years without wheels. For me, this is a major milestone and I am excited to see it.

Click to view attachment
914_7T3
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Dec 11 2018, 08:26 PM) *

My car has finally landed on its wheels after 6 years without wheels. For me, this is a major milestone and I am excited to see it.

Click to view attachment

smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif
Larmo63
You should paint the outside of it now......
porschetub
I can't think of a resto more than I want to see finished,what a journey it has been ????.
Good luck mate.
infraredcalvin
QUOTE(raynekat @ Dec 10 2018, 11:24 AM) *

QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Dec 10 2018, 07:03 AM) *

Seems odd to me that you would upgrade the front struts and not upgrade the rear with a more fine tunaeable coilover...???

Yes....your car deserves a set of these from Elephant Racing.

Click to view attachment

Yes! That’s what I’m talking about!

Looking forward to seeing more progress!
Freezin 914
As a guy who loves vintage Porsche cars, especially the 914, it is an absolute inspiration to see and watch some the high quality work being done on these cars! You all keep me inspired to continue to work on bettering my own car. Keep up the great work! Looking forward to seeing continued progress on these builds! popcorn[1].gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Dec 11 2018, 10:12 PM) *

lol-2.gif
burton73
Your car has a nicer fit and finish on the bottom than all most cars have up top.

I think it is the cleanest undercarriage 6 in the world. When you show it have some mirrors under it so people can see just how clean it is. Just like low riders do.

Well done to all the craftsmen / artisans that have been on its rebirth over the last year or so.

Right on 914 Bro.

Bob B
wub.gif pray.gif
Cairo94507
Kent, Jim, Andy and Bob are the best of the best of the best. That's why I refer to them as "The Justice League". beerchug.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Dec 12 2018, 02:28 PM) *

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Dec 11 2018, 10:12 PM) *

lol-2.gif

You should get them the rest of the paint they need... confused24.gif
Cairo94507
It's not easy to get this stuff and it is very, very expensive. I have top people in the field working on it..... beerchug.gif
76-914
This type of OEM restoration is not my "cup of tea" but the level of workmanship keeps me glued to this thread. The attention to detail is now second to none. Something tells me that this journey shall have a very happy ending. I hope the I get to see it in person one day. This build shall be the benchmark of future 914 restorations. beerchug.gif
siverson
> We have stock later model sway bars going on front and rear.

Since you are already going slightly non-stock on some things, I'd really recommend a stiffer front Tarrett sway bar. I like how their 22mm bars change the cars.

And just curious... are you going to put the "914-6 black goop" on top of the front struts?

-Steve
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.