Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cairo's (Michael) 6 - Part 2
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37
tygaboy
That's some pretty heady company, Michael! And your car more than stands up to it. You should be quite proud! Just lovely...
Cairo94507
@tygaboy - Thank you Chris. We are proud of my car. It's hard to compete with something that just finished a full professional restoration that has not been driven and just rolled off the trailer onto the lawn-let alone it being a real 916! I do not enter Werks to win, I enter because of all of the people who attend and just love seeing our 914s and want to talk about them. That's the fun.

I let people sit in my car because they thought they were small inside- One guy was about 6'2" and he said he would never fit. I told him John Holleran is 6'6" and he fits in and drives my car and owns a real 914-6 of his own since he was a teenager. When he got in, he was shocked at the leg and head room. driving.gif
Cairo94507
Took her to a local Classic Car Show in Old Town Auburn. Took pics when we first arrived and then was too distracted by all the cars that showed up. I had the only Porsche there. I got a terrific spot with no cars next to me and right near the stage.

The cutest thing was a late-teen, early-20-something girl who got all excited when she saw my car and told her girlfriend "I see this car all over town". She then proceeded to take pictures of it and do a selfie of herself with my car in the background. I would rate her a solid 9 out of 10. If I was single and 40 years younger..... beerchug.gif
raynekat
Stunning, beautiful car. Nice
Cairo94507
beerchug.gif Thank you very much.
autopro
That's a great picture of your car. I'm happy to see that the young girl really likes your car, most young persons these days don't care about older classic cars. : beerchug.gif
bkrantz
QUOTE(autopro @ Sep 11 2022, 09:17 AM) *

That's a great picture of your car. I'm happy to see that the young girl really likes your car, most young persons these days don't care about older classic cars. : beerchug.gif

Or older classic guys.
type2man
Props to you for the sole reason you drive it and are not a little bitch that trailers their car to every show just to get a pedegree ribbon thats costs $6 to make. Only thing I would change from what I see is the led fog lights. Those 5 ring lights dont look good. Thats just me though, but I am sure you see it...
Cairo94507
I appreciate that. It was a tough call on the fog lights. I run them as daytime running lights, so I wanted them bright and believe me, they are. So it was a trade off I was willing to accept. If Spoke ever comes out with a more stock looking fog lite kit, I will gladly buy it.
When I run into people who have seen the car on the road, they comment on the intensity of the lights and they definitely see it coming. That was my goal- I want to try to reduce the chances of some dolt pulling out in front of me because they did not see my car coming. beerchug.gif
billh1963
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Sep 10 2022, 01:58 PM) *

She then proceeded to take pictures of it and do a selfie of herself with my car in the background. I would rate her a solid 9 out of 10. If I was single and 40 years younger..... beerchug.gif

No pics of the girl? poke.gif
Cairo94507
So we did some maintenance on my car over the past couple days. I had weeping valve covers and leaking axle seals. We adjusted the valves, replaced one possibly leaking rocker shaft seal and replaced both axle seals. We found 3 valves that were loose and maybe 2 that were tight. Now they are all perfect and the engine sounds much happier.

I have to say, I was shocked when we went to pull the heat exchangers off and saw AASE Motors had not changed out the exhaust studs for the heat exchangers to the 47mm length studs. They left the stock 3.2 heat exchanger studs in which are about 1/2" longer to accommodate the thicker heat exchanger flanges on the 3.2, than what is required for Ben's heat exchangers. Instead of replacing the studs while the engine was on the engine stand they added 1/2" spacers onto the studs then the nuts- funky. We removed all 12 studs (that was a bit of a chore requiring heat on about 6 of them and welding a nut onto one that snapped off) and installed the new shorter studs that accept the correct barrel nuts. The next time we do the valves, it will be easy to drop the exhaust. Best of all, they are now correct.

I was very pleased to see all 6 spark plugs looked brand new after approx. 8K miles- love fuel injection. Did an oil and filter change too. Oil had a little over 3K miles on it and it was nice and clean.

We drained the transaxle and put in Valvoline 85/140 GL4/GL5 gear oil. We also installed the Tangerine Racing firewall shift rod bearing. We had some play in the shift rod shaft where you could move the rod about 1/8" all around. Now it is nice and looks good too.

We took the opportunity to raise the car approximately 1" front and rear as it was just a bit too low. Pretty easy to pull the rear Bilstein shocks out and raise the saddle clips 2 notches and reinstall. The front took about 5 minutes to crank the torsion bar adjusters up. Car rides better now.

Here are some pics of the work in progress. Big thanks to Greg T. for putting up with me and showing me what to do as we did this stuff. I had a great time. Also a big thanks to my twin brother Bob and HB who were there both days and watched and listed as we worked through our list. HB has 2 914's and is gearing up for a 6-swap into his copper car and suspension update to 5-lugs on his yellow car. I have to say we had a great time. beerchug.gif
Craigers17
Awesome car.....very clean. How many miles since the build was complete? I think that's the cleanest tranny I've seen on a functioning 914!
Krieger
Looking really good!
Mike Bellis
Car looks so pretty.

I'm sad I moved before I got to see it in person.
tygaboy
Working on your car with buddies... one of life's great pleasures, for sure. beerchug.gif

Michael, your car looks spectacular. No surprise there!
Hope to see you and Bobby soon.
Cairo94507
My car has exactly 7,150 miles on it since returning to the road. I thought I was at about 9K. Checking the speedometer pic when the car camera apart clarified my thoughts...

I appreciate the comments; since I no longer have a lift to keep the bottom clean, it is actually dirty. We cleaned it off a bit when working on it. But I need to get it up in the air and I don't see us getting a lift installed for about 1.5 years as we are still dealing with the County and the HOA to get permits approved before we can begin building the new garage.... Now I understand why people say building a new home is a pain in the rear.

Here is a pic of the new ride height, up 1". Now I need to shop for some tires, 195x65x15 to help fill the wheel wells up a bit. My current tires are terrific, but they are 195x55x15.

Cheers everybody,
Michael beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment
Dion
Michael, your car is looking so fantastic. Nice work on the engine maintenance. I imagine it’s sounding as sweet as ever.
So glad your putting miles on it. Enjoy it to the max!
Cheers mate beerchug.gif
Dion
Oops, double posted.
autopro
Considering the amount of miles you have put on it, it didn't need much maintenance. Goes to show the good work you did building it. Car looks beautiful.
Cairo94507
Thanks @autopro - I try to stay on top of it. It seems I am always trying to get it a little better.

The guys in southern California who assembled my car, Kent, Jim, Bob and Andy, did a great job, especially when you consider they received a disassembled damaged mess with tons of missing 914-6 specific parts after the VA shop was unable to locate a lot of my original parts.... I am eternally grateful to them as this car would never have come to life without their skill, knowledge and patience.

In my sights for the future is to install a square weave German carpet kit. beerchug.gif
Cairo94507
Finally got the shifter issue sorted and it shifts beautifully now.

Now on to other issues. AASE Motors installed my oil cooler thermostat in the frunk, next to the oil cooler. Fortunately ( confused24.gif ) they used double-stick tape to mount it to the inner fender well. We will be moving it to the engine firewall, passenger side where there is room. Will need to make up a couple new oil lines, but that should not be an issue. beerchug.gif
burton73
In my sights for the future is to install a square weave German carpet kit. beerchug.gif
[/quote]

Just so you can see what that looks like in a six. German square weave made in Italy

Bob B

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Thanks Bob- Beautiful. beerchug.gif
CCE
As you may know I recently joined 914World and I am discovering little by little the cars, and yours is amazing!!! Wow!

I just love the color, can you share the code or how could I order the mix it for my paint job..
Again Wow!
Cairo94507
@CCE Thanks so much. 1510 or L60E is the code for the factory Glasurit Irish Green color.
beerchug.gif
CCE
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jan 9 2023, 02:06 PM) *

@CCE Thanks so much. 1510 or L60E is the code for the factory Glasurit Irish Green color.
beerchug.gif

Spectacular! Thanks a bunch… irish914.jpg
CCE
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jan 9 2023, 02:06 PM) *

beerchug.gif

Very nice
CCE
[quote name='CCE' post='3058807' date='Feb 17 2023, 10:24 AM']
[quote name='Cairo94507' post='3050161' date='Jan 9 2023, 02:06 PM']
beerchug.gif
Very nice
troth
Hey Michael, saw your WTB ad for a bumper to cut up. Did you decide you weren’t getting enough cooling through just the valence opening or is it a cosmetic choice? I’m curious because I really like the stealth look of just the valence being cut and was hoping to do that for my 6 conversion.
Cairo94507
@troth - First, thank you very much. It is a bit of both actually. I want to screen in my opening to protect the oil cooler visible through the body holes which it resides behind. Screening will reduce the airflow a little. To compensate, I want to modify the bumper, maybe not as much as most, but enough so the entire body hole is clear of the bumper. I think that will offset the air reduction caused by screening. beerchug.gif
Bucci
@Cairo94507

If you have not modified your bumper, I highly recommend doing the oval cut out like Ferry Porsches 914-8…! I think it’s a classic look and you get more airflow, then the smaller square notch on just the valance.
I spent a lot of time 25 years ago folding the factory front sheet metal back to make right angles so there’s more rigidity/ structure in the nose panel after you cut the hole for the oil cooler.

Pics below.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Cairo94507
@Bucci - Thanks for the reply and the pictures. That is almost what we are doing. I traced the valance opening for an exact template and that is what the bumper opening will look like. A mirror image of the valance.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Shivers
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 22 2023, 05:37 AM) *

@Bucci - Thanks for the reply and the pictures. That is almost what we are doing. I traced the valance opening for an exact template and that is what the bumper opening will look like. A mirror image of the valance.

Hi, when I was doing mine I noticed that the cuts had a curve to them.
But from the front the opening looked straight.

Click to view attachment
Shivers
Click to view attachment

You can see the curve here. From the side it looks like a bit of a frown.
Will mirror image give you the effect you want. Just an observation
Cairo94507
Jesus.... I hope so. beerchug.gif
r_towle
hmm

I wonder if some of the chrome from a 60s-70s Volvo p1800 would fit the front oval cowl.

PinaFarina design trend he was doing that time...lots of his work has that classical oval intake...so there may be smaller ones than the Volvo that might have some interesting trim bits.

I can't wait to see it all done, with the headlight up.
Bucci
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 22 2023, 05:37 AM) *

@Cairo94507

I’m curious what type of oil temperature you’re seeing with your oil cooler install?

I seem to be holding steady at 180 to 200 depending on if it’s summertime or going up, the Cajon Pass grade at 85-90 mph, etc.

I did run the 3.2 motor without GT flares or an oil cooler for about a year. The temperatures were extreme with my driving style and track use at Willow Springs would roast the oil. I would change the oil after every event. The oil literally lost it viscosity and it was broken down. I ran Valvoline 20/50 racing oil, I would see temperatures above 220 Fahrenheit.
Cairo94507
@Bucci I typically see 195 degrees unless in stop and go traffic and then it creeps up to maybe 220. As soon as I get in open air it drops quickly to 195. beerchug.gif
Cairo94507
OK, I know.... why mess with this car? The 3.2 runs great and I am very happy with the performance and reliability. It starts every time and just runs great. Of course, then I had to come across Chris's for sale ad for the '95 3.6 motor with only 18K miles on it. I tried to resist, and did for a couple of months, but found myself constantly looking (and hoping) someone would buy that baby. I guess it was meant to be that it would end up in my garage slated to go into my car.

We plan to pull the 3.2 out toward the end of October and begin the process of getting everything right for the 3.6 to thrive. I have bought quite a bit of stuff from Patrick Motorsports so when the time comes, we should have everything we need to just install, wire and fire it up. What could go wrong, right?????

I have the 3.2 listed for sale here and on the Pelican site.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=367139

For now, here is a picture of the 3.6. wub.gif :

Click to view attachment

And here is shot of some of the parts; can't wait to get to it:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

mepstein
QUOTE(Bucci @ May 21 2023, 08:23 PM) *

@Cairo94507

If you have not modified your bumper, I highly recommend doing the oval cut out like Ferry Porsches 914-8…! I think it’s a classic look and you get more airflow, then the smaller square notch on just the valance.
I spent a lot of time 25 years ago folding the factory front sheet metal back to make right angles so there’s more rigidity/ structure in the nose panel after you cut the hole for the oil cooler.

Pics below.

As much as I love the silver 914-8 ( It’s my favorite 914 ever) I don’t think the oval works. It’s a square car and introducing such a prominent curve to the front is distracting. The same reason I don’t like SC flares on a 914. Maybe it’s just me…
The traditional 914-6GT oil cooler cut out mimics the GT flares.
Cairo94507
So, as you likely figured out, I knew we were going with the 3.6 at this point and realized I needed a larger oil cooler as well as oil cooler opening in the front of the car. I am going with 2 Spa fans with a programable thermostat so I can adjust it as needed. We will also open up the trunk floor a bit to allow the hot air to exit. Here is the finished front bumper mod to match the valance:

Pre chrome work to check fitment:
Click to view attachment

After it was chromed:
Click to view attachment
mepstein
beerchug.gif
Cairo94507
Thanks Mark beerchug.gif
euro911
Looks awesome Michael drooley.gif

I've stopped in at Kent's shop a couple of times, as he's only a couple of miles away from here. Unfortunately, he's taken on so much work that I can't even get my '71 914 on a waiting list there headbang.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Looks like I'm might just have to sell it as a 'rust-free' rolling parts car, and unload all the new parts I've amassed for it over the past several years idea.gif

Click to view attachment

I may keep the 1911 motor I had built a few years ago, maybe stuff it in my 912 when I get it back from the restoration shop confused24.gif popcorn[1].gif

Click to view attachment

Cairo94507
@euro911 - Thank you Mark. I know Kent stays fully booked; it is hard to get a slot. Did you ask if he might have a referral to someone who does comparable work? beerchug.gif
anderssj
NICE work Michael! Have to admire your dedication….

BTW, my car wants to be your car when it grows up! biggrin.gif
Cairo94507
@anderssj = Thanks a lot; I am pretty excited about doing the 3.6 swap and hope my 3.2 ends up with a fellow 914 World member. It is a great motor, built by a well respected Porsche engine builder. Going from my 6 to another 914 will be pretty much plug 'n play.

I have one interested party who seemingly wants it for their original 914-6, which would be terrific, but who knows if that will pan out. beerchug.gif
euro911
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Sep 16 2023, 06:32 AM) *
@euro911[/b] - Thank you Mark. I know Kent stays fully booked; it is hard to get a slot. Did you ask if he might have a referral to someone who does comparable work? beerchug.gif
Kent suggested I try Doug's Auto Body a short distance up the block - supposedly they do frame straightening.

I called the shop a while back and whoever I spoke with told me they didn't do that any more. Kent recommended to physically go there and ask to talk with the owner idea.gif

popcorn[1].gif
Cairo94507
Sounds like a good plan. I am sure you will take pictures of the car and damage with you. beerchug.gif
euro911
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Sep 16 2023, 10:43 AM) *
Sounds like a good plan. I am sure you will take pictures of the car and damage with you. :beer2
Yeah, I have pix for the initial talk with Doug. It's on my flatbed trailer and ready to go 'wherever' it needs to go ... popcorn[1].gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.