Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cairo's (Michael) 6 - Part 2
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37
Cairo94507
Thanks for posting that picture Andy. Keeps me motivated and gives me hope. Someone has to have a spare panel sitting around. beer3.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Oct 19 2017, 08:15 AM) *

Thanks for posting that picture Andy. Keeps me motivated and gives me hope. Someone has to have a spare panel sitting around. beer3.gif

If they do, we need Pete to scan it before it goes on a car.
peteyd
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 19 2017, 04:35 AM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Oct 19 2017, 08:15 AM) *

If they do, we need Pete to scan it before it goes on a car.

I have scans of both versions. the third version is just a different cutout.

The pictures I posted are from my NOS front clip. Sorry, not for sale.

Pete
Cairo94507
Thanks Pete. RD does not have a replacement panel yet. I am just hoping someone has one stashed in their parts they will not be using and offers it up for a worthy car.

I really want an NOS nose panel as my front end has issues from previous work. But if that does not happen, I will consider a very clean used panel so long as it is removed correctly and not damaged in the process. But it has to be really clean so it can be blasted and installed.

Cheers - beerchug.gif
More progress pics.
More pics.
Cairo94507
Oh wow! Those doors look perfect. Very nice work. Thanks for posting the pics. beerchug.gif
Got the car back on the fixture today.
When setting the car on the fixture previously, I could see that all the measurements were in spec although the back of the car was tucked down from a previous hit/accident slightly. I could see this in the suspension console alignment to the fixture. Although being off by 2mm is within spec, I brought the back up to get it to zero.
Doors.
Pic.
ConeDodger
Ok, I'm caught up. Michael, I need to come down and see this thing. It's going to be sweeet!!! biggrin.gif
Cairo94507
Just amazing work. It is so calming to me to see the quality of work being done and that my Six is moving right along. Being back on the fixture means we are going to see some reconstructive surgery....... sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif smash.gif can't wait. Thanks Kent. beerchug.gif
Drivers side quarter panel is rotted out from the backside. This full Q.P. was replaced at some point.
A section of the passenger side Q.P. was replaced at some point and was not put on straight and measures out 4mm to long.
mepstein
Wow, that sucks!
mb911
QUOTE(914350 @ Oct 30 2017, 08:57 AM) *

Drivers side quarter panel is rotted out from the backside. This full Q.P. was replaced at some point.

Going to plug weld and grind/sand to finish?
QUOTE(mb911 @ Oct 30 2017, 10:53 AM) *

QUOTE(914350 @ Oct 30 2017, 08:57 AM) *

Going to plug weld and grind/sand to finish?

I want to make sure I get it all so I'll cut it open, clean inside then rebuild the corner. I'm thinking it will be a very small repair area.
Cairo94507
That is just the way it goes I guess. I do know that the passenger side rear quarter, from mid-fenderwell back, was completely replaced - there are pictures in Part 1 of my build thread showing it being done.

Sad and sorry that has to be redone too. Regardless, Kent is doing this correctly and I know, and so do all of you by now, that is the only way Kent would do it and the only way I want it done.

I will just go without food this month and maybe heat too..... confused24.gif
Cairo94507
sad.gif So it looks like more bad news coming my way regarding the previous work. The passenger front fender has to come off because it was welded on over a bent wheel well that is high and the hood strikes that when being closed. The passenger side fender is also out of alignment a little, but the driver's side is off a bunch. These were both replaced in VA.

Also, as if that was not enough, the passenger's quarter panel is off, welded on the wrong way, and the taillight housing will not even fit in the opening. This was done in VA. The driver's side fits OK but needs some work too.

Looks like Kent is going to have to remove a lot of sheetmetal and then redo a lot of work I already paid to have fixed once. That really hurts.

I am not bad-mouthing Scott. His work is history as it relates to my Six (see Part 1 of my build thread) and I am not going backwards. However, I can't post pictures showing the work Kent is having to correct to make my car straight, true and right and take the chance someone might associate that previously done work with Kent's shop or the work Kent is now doing to correct all of this stuff. So I am trying to be clear about what was done in the past and what Kent is now doing.

I am going to post some pictures at some point - but I am technically challenged in reducing the picture size to add a bunch into one post. I wish we had an auto-resizer for pictures like Pelican. Maybe we could all donate to that software program for Sir Andy so we could make life easier for us old folks????
raynekat
This is the site I use for resizing my pics.
It takes some time for sure, but can usually add a couple pics at least in one post.
http://www.picresize.com

Oh and bummer with your previous body work.
I'd really want to "throttle" somebody if they did that to my car. sad.gif

In process of removing the front panel. Since it was previously replaced, it tears up the flanges that it is welded to due to them being plug welds. It's the right way to weld it on but just harder to remove. All these flanges will be rebuilt.
tygaboy
Michael -
So sorry to hear about your facing "do-over" work. I feel your pain. The key motivator for me to teach myself to fab was a horrid and quite expensive experience I had with a shop that totally f-ed up one of my project cars. I renamed that shop "Dream Killer Garage".

And it's interesting how the previous work done on your /6 was well documented and seemed to look quite nice in the pics. Many positive comments from others, etc.

And yet...

So hang in there. Your car is going to be another benchmark /6. Once it's complete, the joy you'll get simply looking at, let alone driving it, will surely make it all worth while.
Cairo94507
Tygaboy - Thanks for the thoughts. Yeah, pictures don't always tell the real story, that's for sure.

Oh well, Kent is absolutely kicking butt and it will be prefect now.

Cheers,
Michael
cary
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Oct 31 2017, 04:16 PM) *

I am going to post some pictures at some point - but I am technically challenged in reducing the picture size to add a bunch into one post. I wish we had an auto-resizer for pictures like Pelican. Maybe we could all donate to that software program for Sir Andy so we could make life easier for us old folks????

Apple or Windows ?

I'm no nerd. I use Windows.
Save jpg. to desktop. Right click. Edit, which brings up the jpg. in paint. Resize 25%. Save.
Cairo94507
I am an Apple.
mepstein
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Nov 1 2017, 08:45 AM) *

I am an Apple.

I email them to myself and choose the size when they are sent. There’s probably a better way that I just don’t know.
cary
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Nov 1 2017, 05:45 AM) *

I am an Apple.

Over my pay grade. But I've got people (like the entire rest of the family) that use Apple. I'll ask the brain trust.
Just Super In Law and I are on Windows. I bought Super In Law a Samsung tablet a few years ago to replace the newspaper. He calls it his newspaper. LOL.
Cairo94507
Thanks Cary. I am always willing to listen and learn. I wish we had it as easy as the Pelican site. I can load photos there with no issues at all. Have great day and tell the super-in-law I said good morning. Cheers. beerchug.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(cary @ Nov 1 2017, 06:52 AM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Nov 1 2017, 05:45 AM) *

I am an Apple.

Over my pay grade. But I've got people (like the entire rest of the family) that use Apple. I'll ask the brain trust.
Just Super In Law and I are on Windows. I bought Super In Law a Samsung tablet a few years ago to replace the newspaper. He calls it his newspaper. LOL.

Here's the method I use in Windows to batch resize images without installing other software.
stevegm
This is coming along very nicely. It will be an awesome ride. It makes me want to spend more time on mine. It has been a really busy year at work. So I haven't had much time.
76-914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 1 2017, 05:47 AM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Nov 1 2017, 08:45 AM) *

I am an Apple.

I email them to myself and choose the size when they are sent. There’s probably a better way that I just don’t know.

I haven't found a way other than cropping a pic. I use my camera if posting. The iPhone pic's are just too large. beerchug.gif
914forme
If your an Apple person it is easy. Import the pictures into photos, and then export them as a jpg in the size and detail you want. I normally use high detail and a size of large, fit very well. I save the exports into a folder called 914world, and then pull them out from there.

If I did it in original size, it would not be nice to Sir Andy. I use a point and shoot camera for the shop, the iPhone takes great pictures, but I can drop the point and shoot and not care at all.

Now back to this great restoration piratenanner.gif
Cairo94507
Hey Stephen- I will give that a try. Thanks and Cheers. Michael beerchug.gif
Valy
QUOTE(914350 @ Oct 31 2017, 06:06 PM) *

In process of removing the front panel. Since it was previously replaced, it tears up the flanges that it is welded to due to them being plug welds. It's the right way to weld it on but just harder to remove. All these flanges will be rebuilt.

I feel like i have a deja vu...
Cairo94507
beer3.gif popcorn[1].gif
Drivers front fender is rotted out and will need to be replaced.
mb911
Oh oh..
More progress.
burton73
At least your car will be 100% primo. Great shop. Every detail.

Bob B
mepstein
Michael - I feel sick every time I see another problem posted.
Cairo94507
Mark - Don't worry; I know you had your problems too.

I feel like it is Ground Hog day and I can't escape the nightmare.....
Fortunately for me and my Six Kent is 100% on this and knows this is the level of work I want.

Not the continual replacing of panels part.... lol-2.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 3 2017, 11:06 AM) *

Michael - I feel sick every time I see another problem posted.

agree.gif bugger thought you were heading for primer and paint soon,you are a patient person Michael...all the best ,hope things go a little smoother for you from now on confused24.gif .
...again, plug welds are not as easy to seperate as spot welds.
Cairo94507
Thanks Kent - I love seeing your work. smilie_pokal.gif
Larmo63
Michael, are you driving Jim's white /6 to the events down here this weekend?

beerchug.gif
cary
Kent, when you have a minute ...............

Am I only seeing 2 spot welds from the fender to the cowl ? I thought the one I tore down had 3 on each side with a 6 inch non welded section in the middle.
Click to view attachment
QUOTE(cary @ Nov 2 2017, 08:39 PM) *

Kent, when you have a minute ...............

Am I only seeing 2 spot welds from the fender to the cowl ? I thought the one I tore down had 3 on each side with a 6 inch non welded section in the middle.
Click to view attachment

Yes, true. This fender had been replaced so what your seeing isn't the factory welds.
stevegm
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Nov 2 2017, 08:52 PM) *

Thanks Kent - I love seeing your work. smilie_pokal.gif

Really, really good work. This car is going to be amazing when it is finished.
Cairo94507
Thanks Steve. I am fortunate Kent was able to accept my car into his shop. I am so glad to see progress knowing it is being done correctly.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.