Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cairo's (Michael) 6 - Part 2
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37
76-914
QUOTE(bbrock @ May 3 2018, 12:34 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ May 3 2018, 01:01 PM) *

Could also use a hole saw in a drill press if needed..

That's the route I was headed but you tend to get just enough wobble on the saw to require dressing the edge, so I was thinking hand shear and sanding. Nice to see how well they turn out, but then again, it's Kent, so my mileage may vary. dry.gif

You can negate that wobble. As soon as the arbor bit penetrates the metal and before the hole saw begins to cut, remove the arbor bit and replace it with a rod or tube of the same size. I use a 1/4" self centering punch.
The reason the hole saw wobbles is the arbor bit ovals out the pilot hole and allows the hole saw to dance about. By replacing the arbor bit with a smooth sided replacement the pilot hole doesn't enlarge which keeps the hole saw centered. beerchug.gif Sorry 'bout the high jack. beerchug.gif
Battery tray is in And engine comp. Is primered.
A lot of work in the passenger comp.
billh1963
Wow...just, wow!
More oics.
Front fuel tank area.
More.
76-914
QUOTE(914350 @ May 11 2018, 05:26 PM) *

More oics.

Are the holes for the back pad screws covered by the rear stiffener ? beerchug.gif
914forme
so glad we get al the detail shots not saying I am ever going to be this good, but I have learned a ton, and got some great ideas for my builds that will be puled off at a fraction of the skill level show here. But I can aspire. pray.gif
Cairo94507
As good as it looks in the pictures, in person is 100 times better. smilie_pokal.gif beerchug.gif
mb911
Wow just about ready for color now..

I agree with stephen.. I have learned allot just from watching the progress..
QUOTE(mb911 @ May 12 2018, 04:50 AM) *

Wow just about ready for color now..

I agree with stephen.. I have learned allot just from watching the progress..

That's great to hear and thanks to all you guys for all the nice comments. biggrin.gif
EdwardBlume
first.gif
QUOTE(76-914 @ May 11 2018, 05:45 PM) *

More oics.

Are the holes for the back pad screws covered by the rear stiffener ? beerchug.gif

Yes and I will have to locate/access those.

Cairo94507
Had a great time visiting with Kent and Jim and seeing all of the progress on my car. It looks like it would have on the factory line. It's sitting next to a very very rare '68 911R.....the work on the 911R is just amazing.

Then we went to the engine shop. Apparently the engine, I had it built 3 years ago, was not stored properly after being built, so we have a little bit of light corrosion on the cams, but aside from that it should be good. Once the engine arrived at Jim's he completely wrapped it in cling wrap. Fortunately, we caught it before it could really do damage.

We did discover the original 3.2 oil cooler was installed on the motor instead of the 914-6 cooler that came off my car. I have asked Scotty to please locate my oil cooler and ship it to us ASAP so they can continue with the engine work and bench fire the motor.

Anyway, my car is moving along with terrific progress on all fronts. While I was at Jim's, my brother was with me, Jim tossed me the keys to his '70 914-6, the white one, and told me to take it for a spin. Who would say "No thanks" to that? My brother and I drove from Jim's to Kent's shop, about 20 miles, and it was a blast. His white car has "patina" but runs like a Swiss watch. That was the coolest. When it comes to people, they do not get any better than Jim and Kent. I was sorry I did not get to see and talk to Andy this time- hopefully next trip I will see him. beerchug.gif

So I am one happy guy -

Click to view attachment
mb911
Michael..

Eric from Pmb reported that the my heat exchangers come very close to the factory 914-6 oil cooler brackets. Just make a note of that. A couple ways around it but wanted to let you know..
Cairo94507
OK- we will keep that in mind. Thanks. beer3.gif
Cairo94507
Terrific news, Scotty located my oil cooler and is shipping it. That's a great relief. beerchug.gif
r_towle
under the batter tray, into the hell hole area.

1) isn't there supposed to be a drain hole to let the water out?
2) why did he put undercoating in there?
Cairo94507
Hi r_towle,

I don't know if there is a hole there or not. I do know Kent knows what he is doing. I believe the undercoating is for extra protection for the future, so damage never gets a chance to happen. Not an inch of this chassis has been overlooked to get it absolutely right. We will just have to stay tuned to see what happens next. beerchug.gif
defianty
I think my smile would be that big too!

I hope you don't mind but I've stolen all of your photos showing the seam sealer applied to give to my body guy. They're just about the best reference photos out there.

Enjoying following this build.
Cairo94507
Thanks Stephen. I do not mind at all. The reason we have so fully photo-documented this entire restoration is to help those considering a restoration know how really involved this work is and provide a "guide" for what to do and what to be aware of when you undertake a project of this size. beerchug.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(defianty @ May 17 2018, 01:11 AM) *

I think my smile would be that big too!

I hope you don't mind but I've stolen all of your photos showing the seam sealer applied to give to my body guy. They're just about the best reference photos out there.

Enjoying following this build.

Yep, me too. I was going to start a thread to see if there were diagrams, but Kent took care of if for me.
76-914
QUOTE(914350 @ May 12 2018, 08:54 AM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ May 11 2018, 05:45 PM) *

More oics.

Yes and I will have to locate/access those.

Will you share that info with me? I did the same damned thing 4 yr's ago and have yet to address it. chair.gif another Kent.
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 16 2018, 04:19 PM) *

under the batter tray, into the hell hole area.

1) isn't there supposed to be a drain hole to let the water out?
2) why did he put undercoating in there?

Hi, the drain hole is there, just can't see it at that angle.

This car though an original Six is deviating from stock, 3.2, side shift, hinged/tilt passenger seat, none original color so though the undercoating is not stock, it will add protection for "long" in the future. The Hell Hole was surprisingly in great shape on this car.
Cairo94507
Yeah, well the Hell Hole was great because the thing was covered in a ton of oil as was the bottom of the car. So that had to help.

av-943.gif Oh, wait....did Kent just say the car is going a non-original color......
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 17 2018, 04:07 PM) *

Yeah, well the Hell Hole was great because the thing was covered in a ton of oil as was the bottom of the car. So that had to help.

av-943.gif Oh, wait....did Kent just say the car is going a non-original color......

Yeah it was originally yellow and now it's going gold right? biggrin.gif
Cairo94507
OK, I was worried for a minute.
sixnotfour
Original to what ??
Cairo94507
Terrific. Scotty got my oil cooler shipped out pretty darn quickly, (thank you) and it came with a few other parts we have been missing too. Now we will send the cooler out to be sonic cleaned and pressure tested so it is ready for installation. Oh, the two trailing arm bearings came from PMB- thanks Eric.

Click to view attachment
Luke M
Before you install those rear bearings take the grease seals off and inspect them.
There's been problems with bearings only being shipped with one of the sides greased.

I checked my new FAG bearings and sure enough one side of the bearing had zero grease.

Good how to here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9P1R2clGAU

Good news that your parts have been located and received.

Lets see some updated pics now... aktion035.gif
Cairo94507
Thanks Luke - we will add it to the list. beerchug.gif
altitude411
QUOTE(914350 @ May 17 2018, 05:15 PM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 17 2018, 04:07 PM) *

Yeah it was originally yellow and now it's going gold right? biggrin.gif

Peer pressure or pure pressure? happy11.gif
Cairo94507
Time will tell...
Blocking panels.
altitude411
...so close now... *snif *snif you can smell the gold piratenanner.gif smilie_pokal.gif Wow, that tub is crisp!
Cairo94507
"Crisp" wub.gif beerchug.gif
Check fit drivers side seat rail.
Cairo94507
My wife will really appreciate that. beerchug.gif
Passenger side seat mounts.
Cairo94507
I really appreciate the attention to detail. popcorn[1].gif smilie_pokal.gif beerchug.gif
Fitting engine cover.
rick 918-S
Getting close now. popcorn[1].gif thumb3d.gif
Cairo94507
popcorn[1].gif beer3.gif beerchug.gif It's been a long time since I have seen that view.
Larmo63
I'm torn, I want to see it painted, but it looks so great as a bare chassis too.

Kent, (as usual,) has done a yeoman's job on the project, just wonderful.

I'm jealous.

L-60E
Cairo94507
I know. It looks so good even with the guide coat - I can't wait for color. Thanks for checking the thread. beerchug.gif
Mueller
Looking great as usual.

Will you be hosting a viewing party so we can drool over it in person?
Cairo94507
Mike - I will be driving this car in the East Bay area so I am hoping a lot of people will get to appreciate the 914's for the beautiful cars they are. beerchug.gif
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ May 30 2018, 07:34 PM) *

I'm torn, I want to see it painted, but it looks so great as a bare chassis too.

Kent, (as usual,) has done a yeoman's job on the project, just wonderful.

I'm jealous.

L-60E

Thanks, Larmo. smile.gif
JeffBowlsby
Did I miss the announcement of what color you selected Michael? NOT GOLD is not a color.. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.