Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cairo's (Michael) 6 - Part 2
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37
banananose914
Truly a long, strange trip its been. Congratulations on staying with your car Mike. Most people, myself included, would have hung it up a long time ago. Many, many ups and downs, but in the end, victory. If you find another six, and you need our help in restoring it, I promise you it won’t take 10 years. Ya done good!
Cairo94507
Thank you Jim that means a lot. The skills you and your team have are beyond comparison in my experience. The best part though is, don't take my word, let the finished car speak for itself. It is a beauty. Once I get the time, hopefully this coming weekend, I will get it up on the lift and shoot some pictures of the underside for everyone to see. beerchug.gif first.gif
EdwardBlume
Well done! and Congratulations!
infraredcalvin
Followed from the start, what an amazing adventure! Congrats!
Lucky9146
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 2 2020, 04:56 PM) *

OK- My Six is finished and it is beautiful (I might be slightly biased) and I love it. Jim ( @banananose914 ) Kent ( @914350 ), Andy ( @Socalandy ) and Bob, (or the Justice League as I affectionately named them) did a great job. This car looks better than new and drives like new.

Enjoy the photos guys and thanks for all of the support as I experienced Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. I can't believe it has been 10 years. smilie_pokal.gif beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment

Michael I thought it was in your kitchen when I first looked at this pic!
Then I realized no one has a big screen in their kitchen, or do they? laugh.gif
What a garage to welcome your car home to. first.gif

Congrats to the man with the patience of a saint.

Driving Vid would be cool.
Time to enjoy it! All the best! beerchug.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg
Cairo94507
Thanks so much. Yeah, the garage is another passion. beerchug.gif
Cairo94507
Had the car up on the left today so I snapped a couple of what turned out to be poor belly shots. Tomorrow I will take some better underneath shots.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
billh1963
Wow! So happy for you. Now, drive the hell out of that thing. You deserve it!
Cairo94507
Thanks Bill. Will do. beerchug.gif
rhodyguy
That tie rod end assembly is slick. Never seen that one before. WOW!
Cairo94507
That's because we raised the spindles 17mm. beerchug.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 9 2020, 06:55 PM) *

Had the car up on the left today so I snapped a couple of what turned out to be poor belly shots. Tomorrow I will take some better underneath shots.

Click to view attachment

Details on the front struts and tie rod ends, or the page number please.
Driving impressions?

I have full motion bearings, 914/6 struts, Alfa calipers, 22mm Tarrett hollow bar, turbo tie rods, 911 hubs, etc.
I'm not quite as low as you and although it's not too bad I do feel a bit of bump steer.
sb914
But that garage! wub.gif
willieg
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 2 2020, 06:56 PM) *

OK- My Six is finished and it is beautiful (I might be slightly biased) and I love it. Jim ( @banananose914 ) Kent ( @914350 ), Andy ( @Socalandy ) and Bob, (or the Justice League as I affectionately named them) did a great job. This car looks better than new and drives like new.

My brother Bob, my cousin Phil and I drove down to Jim's on Saturday and I admit I was anxious to see my car. It has been 10 years and 5 months since I bought it.

We were tickled to hear it start and run, see the gauges working and hear that terrific 3.2 with Ben's ( @mb911 ) beautiful SS heat exchangers and muffler. We took it for a drive and I was not disappointed. It runs strong. It sounds great. It rides great. It looks terrific.

A nice surprise was Oscar ( @[url=http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?

showuser=16669]ValcoOscar[/url]
) showed up at Jim's and he came bearing gifts. Oscar is just a great guy. He gave me a cool 914 hat that was in shades of green, a cool 914 hoodie and 2 914 T-shirts. I don't make out like that Christmas time. Thank you Oscar I am really looking forward to one of your BBQ's where I can bring my car and let everyone get a chance to check it out.

Also Dave ( @blue6 ) was there and he has seen this project progress from the complete mess I delivered to Kent to what I consider to be one of the finest 914-6 in the country. Yeah, that's my opinion. I am sure this is not everyone's cup of tea, but that's OK. It is mine. Thanks for coming over Dave and safe travels my friend.

We put about 40 miles on it and then loaded it into the enclosed car carrier, special thanks to Chris ( @tygaboy ) for hooking me up. After loading it was time to relax for a bit and we cooled off in Jim's pool. We sat around and talked about everyone (of course) and then decided we were refreshed enough to do the 400 mile return trip home. Off we went; the drive home was very easy with very little traffic.

This morning we unloaded the car and returned the trailer to Petaluma with another big thank you to Chris.

I would also like to thank my twin brother and best friend Bob for sharing this whole experience with me. He has been there for the whole thing and I hope he drives this when I throw him the keys and enjoys the way this car runs, rides, handles and looks. I doubt I would have hung in there with this build when the going was rough (pre-LA) without his support.

Enjoy the photos guys and thanks for all of the support as I experienced Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. I can't believe it has been 10 years. smilie_pokal.gif beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Damn that trailer looks familiar? I suspect many of us on 914World have been transported by that trailer. Many thanks to tygaboy.
Cairo94507
OK, the Xpel clear-bra (PPF) was installed today by J&E Car Care, Inc. Juan and Ezequiel (brothers). They have done probably 6 or 7 of my cars now and they do great work.

I added their business card into the post in the event anyone is considering a clear-bra. I have no affiliation with them other than as a repeat customer.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

[attachmentid=756906

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
914_7T3
Good call Michael! I’m getting X-Pel applied to my car as well on Wednesday down here in SoCal. Will be using the company that does the work for Singer Automotive.

Now go for a drive!

driving.gif
bbrock
If either of you get a chance, I'd love to see a pic of that side by side with an untreated panel in good sunlight. I'm just curious how close to that original shine it comes. Looks pretty impressive from what I'm seeing here. Now time to drive!!! beerchug.gif
Michael N
smilie_pokal.gif driving.gif aktion035.gif first.gif pray.gif So happy to see this come home to you so you can finally enjoy it. Congrats.
PanelBilly
A work of art
eric9144
piratenanner.gif
Now there's no excuse not to get that thing out and drive the stromberg.gif out of it aktion035.gif
infraredcalvin
That ex pel has come a long way, I’ve never been a fan, but I have to admit it looks great in the pictures. I may have to take a re-look at their product line!

Looking good! I hope to see your car in person some day!
gms
I am so happy for you @Cairo94507 , it looks like it was worth the wait!
Congratulations on another great build @Blue6 , @banananose914 and @Socalandy !

AZBanks
Your car looks amazing but that figures since you picked the best color. Congrats!
raynekat
Clear bra installation.........whew.
For a second there I thought you were already getting the car detailed or something.
Ha
Looks great.
tygaboy
Michael - You should have this thread closed. Why?

There is absolutely nothing more that can be said about you and your car's history and journey; the results achieved speak for themselves.

In my opinion, you and the Justice League have created one of, if not THE finest 914s this world has ever/will ever see.

And to the Justice League (pardon if I've missed anyone):
@Blue6 , @banananose914 and @Socalandy @914350

You guys... WOW, and f-ingA doubleclutch!
I hope I get a chance to meet you in person and shake the hands that did all this wonderful work. Just spectacular.
gms
QUOTE(gms @ Aug 10 2020, 11:46 PM) *

I am so happy for you @Cairo94507 , it looks like it was worth the wait!
Congratulations on another great build @Blue6 , @banananose914 and @Socalandy !

Oh geez I forgot @914350
horizontally-opposed
This car…is plainly gorgeous. And yes on the "best" 914 color—I'm green with envy. smile.gif

Congrats to all involved!
Cairo94507
I shot some photos of the underside of my car since I had it up in the air. I think it looks as nice underneath as it does on top. beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
tygaboy
Michael - Now you're just showing off! Geez, I hope the top of my car turns out half as nice as the bottom of yours!
ndfrigi
Michael, something is not supposed to be in your car. hehehe
A real magic done by the Justice League group!

Click to view attachment
second wind
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Aug 18 2020, 02:28 PM) *

Michael, something is not supposed to be in your car. hehehe
A real magic done by the Justice League group!

Click to view attachment

Amazing car!! So I get my muffler like chrome and then after a drive or two those brown spots show up....undoubtedly from leaks here or there. Have you come up with a method to clean those off with ease? I have yet to find a way other than elbow grease so it stays stained a little longer than I like. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
gg
Cairo94507
Thank you Chris, you are too kind. I know there are many nice 914's out there. I am proud to call this one mine. If I could nominate the Justice League for an Academy award I would! That is one talented group of guys.

That's so funny. I had already sent and email to Ben asking what to use to clean those off. I was thinking 0000 steel wool and wax, but want to hear from Ben first. OK heard from Ben - Acetone and a scotch brite pad is what he recommended.

When they first started the car it had a small leak and that is the result. The leak was fixed of course. But I do think my transaxle is leaking a tiny bit. But I am going to drive it and get some time on it and then see how it is.

And I wish everyone could see Chris' @tygaboy car in person. The pictures do not do his work justice. I am absolutely amazed with his work. That car is going to be stunning- but you already know that.

beerchug.gif
eric9144
When my car decided to puke a couple quarts I got underneath with microfibers and simple green and rubbed the hell out of the spots on the exhaust...they did come off, you'll just have cramped hands and your neighbors will know you've lost your mind... laugh.gif but it does come off, if Ben has a better solution I'd like to know about it too.

AMAZING car, you sir, are a lucky guy, so glad this story had a happy ending! first.gif
beerchug.gif
Cairo94507
Thanks Eric. Ben says Acetone and Scotch brite pads. I will give it a try this weekend. beerchug.gif
Krieger
It is gorgeous underneath! Maybe I missed it, but you do not have a speedo drive. How does your speedo work?
Cairo94507
@Krieger - No, I don't have a speedo angle drive or speedo cable. I had a later electronic speedo converted to my speedo because my car was at 89,6xx miles and I did not want it to roll over to 00000. So the later speedo has an extra digit and since my car just turned over 90,000 miles, I figure it will see the 100K mark in a reasonable amount of time. I have a log book documenting my mileage and it seems to be a true mileage so I did not want to lose that.

I have an electronic GPS unit that provides a signal to the speedo. Currently we are chasing some issues with that but generally it works. When checking it against my Waze app it is right on the speed. What happens at presents when you start the car the speedo goes to 140 and stays there for about 5-10 minutes and then it bounces around a bit from 0-140 and then it settles down and reads accurately. We will get it sorted I am pretty sure. beerchug.gif
billh1963
Are you using the Classic Speed GPS unit to drive the mechanical speedometer or did you convert to an electronic speedometer?
Krieger
Neeto!
Cairo94507
@Billh1963 It's an electronic speedo.
Luke M
Great job guys and congrats to you Michael.
Wow is all I can say. The 6 looks beautiful all around. wub.gif

Could you take a few shots of your oil cooler setup and post some pics please?

Looks like you're running a 911 return line from the engine over to the front cooler lines.
914forme
Mark the Bumpsteer kits make all the difference. Much better than th old space your rack trick.

Rebel Racing sells two version, This is not one of their kits, Their lowers have speed holes.

Have a set for my -6 build, ran a set on my auto-x car for years.

Back to drooley.gif
TravisNeff
Great to finally see this completed and done well! It's been a long haul
ri914
Just spent an hour going through 80 pages of the is thread. So awesome. grabbed some measurements I was curious about and learned a few details as well. Great job !!!
Cairo94507
Thanks everyone. beerchug.gif
Gint
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Sep 2 2020, 09:10 AM) *
Thanks everyone. beerchug.gif
Dammit that's nice! Congratulations @Cairo94507 You should know that seeing your car last November was one of the big motivators for me to get mine back on the road.

I'm going to be using this thread as a reference and asking some questions of the Justice League over the next couple of years.

Thanks
pete000
Nice brake and suspension mods !
Cairo94507
Thanks Pete & Gint. I appreciate that. I am going to wipe out down and give it a coat of wax this weekend so it will be ready for WCR next weekend. driving.gif
raynekat
Yeah the underneath of that car......disgusting.
Ha
Love it when the undersides look like your car.
Mine is close, but dang that green really is nice....even on the bottom of the car.
Enjoy!

Mikey914
Superb!
Maltese Falcon
Saw your green machine in the flesh + spoke with Jim Geer who was putting the finishing touches on her. More perfect than Showroom Fresh first.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.