Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cairo's (Michael) 6 - Part 2
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37
Cairo94507
I really appreciate that. It was a long time coming and I am really loving and enjoying the car. I think I have about 2,400 miles on it now.

Took my skeptical brother-in-law for a short little ride yesterday. driving.gif He was blown away by how it sounded, rode, pulled and handled. I still am not driving it hard but it did see 5K on the tachometer a couple times. I did one nice run on a long, smooth uphill freeway on-ramp, first through fourth and he was surprised. Coming home we went around a few nice turns and he said, "it's more go-kart than car". Then I put it up on the lift so he could see under the car and he was amazed at how nice it all looked. beerchug.gif
Bucci
QUOTE(Blue6 @ Jun 29 2020, 09:13 PM) *

Pic 3: Jimmy following with wipe down and wax.. Click to view attachment
Letters going on engine grill, measure, then measure again, then count the little diamonds to make sure. That 3.2 has approx 2.4 miles of wiring that the boys are trying to organize and make presentable. I heard you just wanted a driver. av-943.gif You will be please. wub.gif

When I did my Motronic conversion for the 3.2 motor. I routed most of the wiring harness in the engine bay.
Cairo94507
About 2,700 miles and running great. It got a little wet in the rain yesterday. I just enjoy driving it. beerchug.gif
Larmo63
Green really was a better choice than gold.
Cairo94507
Thanks Lawrence @Larmo63 . Hope to see you the next time we are down in LA. beerchug.gif
Cairo94507
Been a while since I bumped this thread. My car has continued to evolve as I work out some very minor issues. I think this is quite common given my car sat for 61 months on the other side of the country, disassembled and then a lot of my unique Six parts that never made it back with the car. Here is the latest re work to get it even better:

Gathering parts to do a bit more work. Turns out the heater lever (red knob) in my car is the wrong lever- it is actually a hand throttle lever. So I am sourcing the correct lever to replace it.

Also, I felt my brakes were not up to snuff. So I have sourced a set of '88 Carrera front calipers and will buy the appropriate drilled and vented rotors to match and swap those out along with new pads. That should get her stopping on a dime. The rears are 914-6 GT calipers with drilled and vented rotors and are perfect.

Finally, the clutch pivot shaft in my pedal box somehow during rebuild got swapped with an SC clutch pivot arm. The difference makes the pivot arm about 1/2" longer and moves the throttle arm over accordingly. So I have the correct clutch pivot arm coming and will swap that out too.

Oh, I also sourced the correct rubber shift lever boot for the interior.

At this point it is just little things like this that need attention. The car is running like a champ and driving beautifully.
Thanks a lot. Yeah, I totally love my car.

I did sell my house with the garage that I remodeled. Got stupid money for the home, so I am not upset at all. We then bought a beautiful place up in Auburn on 2.8 acres with an oversized 3-car garage that I will be remodeling.

But, before I remodel my garage, my brother and I are in the process of building an ADU (additional domestic unit) on the property, 1200 sq. ft. of living space, with an attached 1200 sq. ft. garage so my brother can live here too. That garage is going to be our "car" garage for all things car related; I am very excited about that. Already have an architect on board and we are almost at the final revision of the plans. We have a great contractor on board and we expect to break ground in spring. As I type this, the surveyors are out there identifying all of the property boundaries for us so we are 100% sure we do not violate any set-backs, etc.

I am retired and keeping very busy. I was going to sell my '16 S3, and still will, so I can replace it with a new truck, but it has moved lower on the list, mostly due to the whole "chip shortage" BS. I refuse to pay an additional dealer mark-up for a truck. Now if it was a C8 Z06 Corvette.....
NARP74
Late to this thread. I guess I should carve out a few hours to read everything. Looks inspiring!
Cairo94507
Bring something to drink. If you really want the full rollercoaster, read Part 1 first. See my signature for the link. beerchug.gif
mepstein
Michael - Do you have 3 1/2” struts on the car?
Van914
Michael beautiful car!
NARP74
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jan 20 2022, 01:07 PM) *

Bring something to drink. If you really want the full rollercoaster, read Part 1 first. See my signature for the link. beerchug.gif

Sounds like a plan!
Cairo94507
@Mepstein Yes, 3.5".
Cairo94507
Time for an update to this Thread -

The brakes were just not performing up to my expectations. In fact, when John Holleran, (Holleran's Performance, Auburn) drove my car he said it was the worst braking 914 he had ever driven. Mind you, he has a '70 914-6 he has owned since he was 15 years old. He explained when we added the early S front calipers to the equation of the 914-6 GT rear calipers, we screwed up the system and the brake proportioning valve was no longer working like it was intended. He suggested Carrera front calipers, 24mm rotors and a 23mm M/C. He said you will not believe the braking you will have.

So, off came the early S calipers and rotors and on went a set of PMB rebuilt '88 Carrera front calipers and 24mm vented, drilled rotors. At the same time, we deleted the brake proportioning valve. We planned to replace the master cylinder but it was running late in shipping. We buttoned it up and the difference was significant. The 23mm M/C arrived and we installed it yesterday. OMG! What a difference in braking. The pedal is right at the top and the stopping is better than I had ever hoped or dreamed for a 51 year old car. I am beyond pleased with the brake re-do. John was absolutely right.

I had the Rennshifter in my car and it was always problematic, making shifting a chore. It was always tight/stiff. That caused me to actually listen to Jim (Banananose) and consider putting the stock shifter back in the car. That would also have then added bonus of allowing me to have the hand throttle back in the car. Yes, I have a 3.2 with Motronic injection, so the hand throttle was not needed for starting. But it would be kind of a cruise control on the freeway when there was no traffic, right?

John actually looked at the entire shifting mechanism in my car and ended up replacing the rear shift rod with a new one he made, removing one of the joints. He then adjusted the RennShifter and told me to drive the car. It was a world of difference and shifted very nicely now. No tightness or fighting it at all. The problem, I was already wanting the stock shifter back in my car because I now did not like the larger base of the RennShifter for my otherwise pretty stock looking 914-6 interior.

So, I sourced a stock shifter, rebuilt by Brice Stone and in it went. It was then we discovered my pedal cluster had the wrong clutch pivot arm. I had one from a SC instead of a 914-6. So I contacted Bruce Stone and he sent me the correct arm. Installed and problem solved. I drove my car and it was like rowing a canoe- the shifter throw was so long from 1st to 2nd. So I sourced a new Weltmeister short-shift kit for a side-shifter and we installed that. The shifter arm was too short to be comfortable for me. Out it came and we cut the Weltmeister shift lever off and tig-welded the stock arm onto the Weltmeister short-shift kit and back in the car it went. Amazing! Now it looks 100% stock and yet it shifts very nicely with a short throw and I have the hand throttle back in the car. Well worth the effort.

Finally, as I now have about 7K miles on the car since it all went back together, I wanted to get it aligned again to make sure all was right. John recommended MSI in Roseville and said he is an old-school Porsche guy and knows these cars and how to align them correctly. So yesterday it went to Mark Stein, (MSI) and he aligned it. He found it to be a little off at all 4 corners, but not bad. He brought it right to where it needed to be. It now runs straight down the highway with no hands on the wheel and drives a lot better. Well worth doing.

I think I am now ready for WCR at the end of July. The only other item on my list, and it is purely aesthetic, is I am going to pull the Momo steering wheel hub off and shorten it about 1.25" to close the distance between the steering wheel rim and the turn-signal/wiper-arm stalks as I currently have about 3.5"- way too much. At the same time, I will send the 370mm Prototipo off to Dallas Customs to have it double wrapped in their high quality leather and complete that with black stitching and call that done.

OK, that is an update of what has been happening in the background on my car. It continues to run exceptionally well and just sounds amazing with Ben's (MB911) full exhaust system. If you have a 6 in your car and can get your hands on his exhaust, you will never regret it. Everyone comments on the sound when it fires up. smile.gif

What is in the pipeline for the future? Well, at the end of fall/early winter, we are probably going to drop the motor to address a rocker arm shaft making a little noise. Nothing alarming, but since we will be doing a valve adjustment, that is the time to address that.

Also, since my transaxle is still leaking about 4 drops when I park it, John is going to pull it apart, check the internals to make sure it is as it should be and then reseal it. He guarantees it will not leak once he puts it together. I hate oil leaks, so that is great.

Thanks for reading and following along on my build. beerchug.gif
tygaboy
Michael - Thanks for the updates. It's interesting to me how much tweaking it actually takes to make the car "exactly what we want it to be". A worthy effort, to be sure.
I'm looking forward to WCR road-tripping with you!
Dion
Great update Michael. Glad the fine tuning went to your satisfaction to get it dialed in. Lots of work. Nice you have a reliable competent mechanic to turn to.
Enjoy !!
Root_Werks
Loving the end result! Lots of great pics.
Cairo94507
Thanks guys. Yeah, I had to "man-splain" it to my wife. She was like, "I don't understand, the car is brand new. Why is it not perfect?" I told her getting it all rebuilt/restored just got it to the driving/looking pretty stage. The final 10%, is getting it dialed-in for driving now that it is on the road getting shook out.

I did tell her now that the brakes and shifter are sorted, if she wanted to drive it, it is now ready. Of course I will be with her and it will be a deserted area....no curbs, trees, cars, trucks, people, animals, etc. beerchug.gif

Thanks again to all who have contributed in any way to this build. I love my car and never take for granted that I am blessed to be able to own and drive her. I so much appreciate all of the camaraderie of this 914World crew and really enjoy getting together and talking with anyone about our passion. I am always blown away by the skills all of you have. We all know I did not build my car personally, but was so very fortunate to have been contacted by Jim to bring the car to him. That would have never happened without 914World.com and my being able to post my Thread about the build of my car. To me, Jim and Kent are Saint Jim and Saint Kent- or maybe they should be Knighted, Sir Jim and Sir Kent? This car would have never happened without them and I will forever be in their debt. pray.gif
eric9144
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 21 2022, 07:10 AM) *

I will send the 370mm Prototipo off to Dallas Customs to have it double wrapped in their high quality leather and complete that with black stitching and call that done.

Before and after pics if you can, interested to see how that comes out beerchug.gif

Glad you got the brakes and shifter sorted, those and the other little details are what make all the difference! first.gif
Lucky9146
Micheal
Thanks for posting and all the detail for us other 6 guys. Always good to have examples of what works to refer to.
Drive on beerchug.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg
Cairo94507
I will post before (brand new 370 mm Prototipo) and after once recovered and returned. First I have to do the hub modification - hopefully, maybe, next week? beerchug.gif
Shivers
There are no appropriate adjectives left. You really have built something special, congratulations. I hope it is as fun as it looks. smile.gif
DRPHIL914
@cairo94507
Michael,
Nice to see you are getting to where you want to be. I do have a question,
do you hvae any pictures of the Weltemister short shift modification, before/during/after?
I know the /4 is different thana /6, i have considered getting the Tangerine racing mod for tightening up the shifting, but a short shift was something i was going to look at as well, and those 2 things together might be the ultimate shifting upgrade for a 914/4 side shift.
Its funny your wife asked that as mine is always like, wait didnt you do that already? or why do you hve to do that or why is that not done i thought it was done ---- i just say they are never done. i am now having thoughts of upgrading from stock to something a bit better, but i really dont need to unless i get serious about doing more mountain driving or AX again.

Anyway if you have some pictures that would be cool!

Cairo94507
@DRPHIL914 - Sorry, I don't have any photos of the shifter modification. Not really sure there is a difference in the shift mechanism itself as long as you get the late Weltmeister kit for the side-shifter. We took the stock side-shifter 914 shifter and heated the base so the epoxy holding the shift lever (chrome part) came out. We then took the Weltmeister short shifter that came with the shifter base and cut the arm off at the base. We then tig-welded the stock arm onto the Weltmeister unit. The end result is a stock appearing shifter with the advantage of the Weltmeister short-shift kit. It really is a sweet combination. The stock rubber boot fits as stock. I should have grabbed photos. If you don't want the bulk in your interior of the West unit, which when we finally got it dialed in, was sweet, this is a good solution.
mepstein
I wonder why the S calipers didn’t work for you. The early 930’s used an S front and M rear and stopped an almost 3,000 pound car.

Though I’m glad to read that you found a combo that works right for you. beerchug.gif
mb911
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 21 2022, 02:44 PM) *

I wonder why the S calipers didn’t work for you. The early 930’s used an S front and M rear and stopped an almost 3,000 pound car.

Though I’m glad to read that you found a combo that works right for you. beerchug.gif

So the interesting thing there is that you should use the 24mm rotors with s calipers or the pistons extension is to far and can cause a soft pedal. ..

I run a 19mm mc, 24mm rotors, later s calipers, bias valve, stock rears and my car brakes very well.

I will say that John knows his stuff..
Cairo94507
Yeah, not a clue as I believed the set-up I had was "the set-up" to have great brakes. Regardless of why mine did not work that way, they sure do work now. John knows his stuff for sure.

I know some were concerned about the extra weight of the Carrera calipers and the 24mm disks, but my car is not a track/race car so that was not really a concern for me. beerchug.gif
infraredcalvin
In the end it’s all about feel, sounds like you’re dialing in the car the way you like it, that’s awesome!
gereed75
Congrats Mike on getting things sorted

I did a Weltmiester short shifter with the Tangerine double bearing kit back at the shift console. I think that the Tangerine kit is the best thing you can do to improve shifting (and the driving experience) on the 901. The double bearing set up perfectly controls the motion of the shift shaft and translates it exactly to the motion that the shift actuator needs to shift.

Once thru the 1 -2 gate and into the H, it actually feels pretty precise!

Enjoy and drive safe.
Cairo94507
Appreciate it. Yeah, it just takes a bit of time to get it all dialed in correctly. beerchug.gif
Cairo94507
@mb911 - Ben, just caught your post re the 24mm rotors. I sourced my complete front brake system, all in one purchase, from Eric, so I would be surprised if I ended up with the wrong rotors. Not saying it is impossible, just not probable in my mind. But hey, you never know. Regardless, I now love my brakes and the pedal feel. beerchug.gif
Cairo94507
OK, after thinking about the Momo hub (too long) I decided I would rather not modify the hub. So I sourced an early, solid, short hub (took a bit) that is in excellent condition. Reportedly it is a total of 2 3/8" deep. That would be exactly what I was looking for. (For you guys with long legs, (not me) having the current Momo hub is probably a welcome change.) Once it arrives, hopefully by the end of the week, I will do a side by side comparison with photos for all to see. Once that is sorted, I will pull the wheel back off and send it to Dallas Customs for a double wrap in the high-quality black leather with black stitching.

I am also going to add some sound deadening inside my doors. I pulled the panels off to address some routine maintenance and saw I only had some spray-on body shutz in the doors. I have some sound deadening coming, should be here by the end of the week. I will add a few strips inside the door shells and then button the doors up. I am not worried about the added weight of the few strips sound deadening and it may help with road noise -maybe? beerchug.gif
Eric_Shea
when we added the early S front calipers to the equation of the 914-6 GT rear calipers, we screwed up the system and the brake proportioning valve was no longer working like it was intended.

Odd... you had exactly what the Factory GT's used (S-Calipers are designed off the 908 caliper forging). As far as the "system" goes the system sees the same 48mm pistons up front and 38mm pistons in the rear regardless.

48mm S-Caliper Piston
48mm 908 Caliper Piston
48mm Stock 914-6 M-Caliper Piston
48mm A-Caliper Piston that you replaced it with

38mm 914-6 Rear Caliper Piston
38mm 914-6/GT Caliper Piston
38mm 911 Rear Caliper Piston

Not sure how the brake fluid can discern the difference in caliper bodies and the "pressure regulator" and the "system" wasn't now working as intended.

This issue was the seals hadn't been broken in yet on the lighter pistoned S-Calipers. It can take months. The stronger (new) seals pull the pistons back more aggressively causing a low pedal. The A-Calipers are much more forgiving (yet 4lbs. each heavier.) I do like the 23mm MC.
Cairo94507
Prototipo 370mm padded and recovered with black stitching and the old solid shorter hub:
Also, I have brand new allen screws to install after I take her for a ride to make sure we are 100% right.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Krieger
smilie_pokal.gif you have excellent taste! It all looks so good together!
raynekat
Modded gauges and Momo look great in that cockpit.
Maltese Falcon
CoCo / Sisal floor mats bring back "Day One" 914 memories for me; these look correct + in period biggrin.gif
9146C
Beautiful cockpit view Michael!
Freezin 914
Your car is just beautiful, and as others have said, your taste is impeccable!
I’m sure there will a few members here that will be using your car as a benchmark!
Well done! first.gif
Cairo94507
Thanks everyone; I appreciate the comments. beerchug.gif
autopro
Wow it looks sooooo nice, I love the horn button : wub.gif The whole combination just works so well. Where did you get the horn button?
ndfrigi
QUOTE(autopro @ May 29 2022, 07:52 AM) *

Wow it looks sooooo nice, I love the horn button : wub.gif The whole combination just works so well. Where did you get the horn button?

yup that is a very clean and nice car and followed the entire build thread since it was towed here in SoCal and started redoing the restoration at Kent’s shop then to Jim’s beautiful garage for parts installation.

Same here would like to know where you got the horn button. For my prototipo steering wheel.
Cairo94507
Hi Guys,

Thanks again. I sourced the horn button by emailing Carbone. I told them what I was looking for and they accommodated me. I love it. I have purchased several items from Carbone and they have always been reliable, prompt and their stuff is quality made.

They have to be careful they do not run into any trademark issues with you know who.

https://www.carbone.pl/product-eng-1156-Cus...orn-button.html

Cheers,
Michael beerchug.gif
Cairo94507
I was going through a box in the garage and came across 2 old pictures, circa 1980, of my 2nd 1970 914-6. These were taken by a photographer at Castro Valley High School on the football field. He photographed my car for a Porsche book which I have somewhere, as an example of the 914-6. It is hard to tell but it is Irish Green; I was the 2nd owner and the first owner was a professor at Cal (Berkeley). I think I may have paid $5K for it; it was a nice complete car- of course it was because it was only 10 years old.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Just spent a little time conditioning the leather and cleaning the interior for Werks Reunion on the 19th. I will tuck that red wire behind the console now that I see it. smile.gif

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Ready for Werks Reunion on Friday, August 19th. Looking forward to having a fin day.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
tygaboy
Everytime I see your car, all I think is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7cy7vmv2Cs
autopro
Soooo clean and perfect first.gif
Cairo94507
Made it to Werks Reunion and the venue this year was perfect. We arrived at 5:45 AM and got lucky as there were people there and we were able to drive right in. Then we saw the 914 area and pulled in and parked right next to this beautifully restored 916 (1 of 11 made) which had just completed a full restoration by Patrick Motorsports. That car took the Blue ribbon- deservedly so.

Pretty damp and foggy in the morning. As luck would have it, when we checked in at the desk about 1 hour later, we were already parked in our assigned spot.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.