Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Intro from Montana: '73 2.0L rustoration thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45
930cabman
QUOTE(bbrock @ Nov 30 2020, 09:47 AM) *

Thanks everyone for the kind words and encouragement. I'm no Ron Covell - just a dipshit trying to figure things out. It doesn't take much up close inspection to see that these things are hand made but I'm happy with the result.

@Superhawk996 Yes, a support is coming. I just didn't quite get that far yesterday. I ave a part arriving today that will go into the support. I'm shocked at how rigid this is unsupported though. Much more solid than I expected. I actually think it might get by without a support but better safe than sorry. beerchug.gif

Give yourself a pat on the back for those "dipshit skills". Great looking work and as others have said this work is a dying art form.
jaredmcginness
Your fabrication abilities have no bounds...
bbrock
This weekend felt like a lot of moving forward but not really getting anywhere. I started with a small project tidying up the bottom of the engine case. Back when I rebuilt the short block, we were living well below the poverty line and my parts cleaning/rust removal kit consisted of a wire brush and bottle of Extend which at the time was the new space aged rust conversion break through. It didn't produce results up to the current project standards.

Just a reminder, the reason the case looks grungy is because I coated it with Tectyl which is the same protectant it left the factory with. Why? Who the hell knows? confused24.gif But I like it. biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

These were all media blasted to bare metal and painted with VHT engine enamel. I had extra crush washers and gaskets for everything except the temp sensor cover plate so it got a yellow tag reminding me to order crush washers before torquing the plate down. I also need a sealing boot for the wire.

Click to view attachment

My big accomplishment this weekend was going to be installing the half shafts onto the outer axle stubs. Following the collective wisdom of the brain trust here, I started by tearing down the NOS axle that @914_7T3 so graciously found and arranged a killer deal for me. This was a PITA job but I'm glad I did it as the old grease was clearly stiff and waxy compared to the fresh stuff.

Click to view attachment

Here they are ready to install complete with new bolts, schnorr washers, and gaskets tacked on with gasket maker to keep them in place during the install.

Click to view attachment

Then I crawled under the car to scope out a plan for installation and figure out how best to support the loose ends until the engine and trans go it. It was at that point that I realized I still need to swap out the poly graphite bushings in the trailing arms for rubber and there was no point installing the axles until I did that. So instead of bolting my nice axles into the car, they wound up here.

Click to view attachment

It's still a nice accomplishment and good to have this job done. It just didn't have the satisfactory finale I had in mind.

I ended the day with one last shot of the engine. I think that air cleaner looks pretty badass even upside down. smile.gif

Click to view attachment
mbseto
Dude, I am real jealous of your fab work here. That is outstanding and it's really cool to see the process. Weird fact, I've carved more foam than I have done metal work, but not for car parts - for making rock climbing holds!

Anyway, this is on my list of cars I want to see in person someday.
bbrock
@mbseto
QUOTE(mbseto @ Dec 7 2020, 08:26 AM) *

Dude, I am real jealous of your fab work here. That is outstanding and it's really cool to see the process. Weird fact, I've carved more foam than I have done metal work, but not for car parts - for making rock climbing holds!

Anyway, this is on my list of cars I want to see in person someday.

Thanks Matthew! This is high praise coming from you. You are a major inspiration for trying to tackle something like this, and we both know you could have done this faster and better than I did. pray.gif

Speaking of weird things done with foam. This is probably the weirdest I've done, but I'm planning to take this to the nth order of weird once I'm done with the 914 project.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
mbseto
Alright, you can't post that without a back story!!
rudedude
I just spent the last 4 days reading from the beginning. What a saga! I wish I had followed from the start. It should be required reading for anyone wishing to have a 914. So many helpful hints all in one place. And some wild fabrication skills to add some color. So sorry to read of Niaquq, how is the new family member adjusting? If you're ever in Minneapolis feel free to stop in and adjust my roof and windows for me and maybe repair all the junk pieces I have accumulated. I'd love to stop by sometime, I spend 4-6 weeks in your area fishing and hiking every year.
bbrock
@mbseto
LOL It really isn't that different from what you were doing with foam. Just think of it as a climbing wall for tiny little climbers.

The backstory is I got tired of having to rebuild these frog vivaria every few years after any wood put in them rapidly decayed so I made a fake tree out of concrete. Nothing weird about that... right? blink.gif

@rudedude
Thanks so much for the compliments and your thoughts about Niaquq and the new guy. We are rapidly approaching the one year anniversary since we lost Niaquq which also happens to be my wife's birthday which is going to be rough. I don't expect ever have another dog like Niaquq but the new guy, Kalluq has settled in nicely. He is dumb as a stump and has a disgusting habit of eating his own shit, but is quite entertaining. Here's a video of something he usually does at least once a day. In fact, I just made a weekly run to town for grocery supplies and he sang half way there. screwy.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxWyyP_LzQ4

The next time you are out this way, feel free to stop by! We are only 3 miles off I-90 so a very convenient stop. A couple members have visited and all are welcome. Our guest room will be open for stopovers again after the zombie apocalypse pandemic is past. beerchug.gif
bbrock
Just a few odds and ends to report. I received packages from AA and Belmetric today that let me clean up a few loose ends. Ordering from AA is always rolling the dice but they do carry a few things you just can't get elsewhere. For this order, that thing was their tail light lens gaskets since the 914Rubber version was unusable. Of course, those got put on back order sad.gif . But in the box was a right side horn grill. I ordered the less expensive plain paintable version. I don't know, that looks pretty shiny to me.

Click to view attachment

Whatever. Seems a shame but I'm going to bead blast that pretty chrome off tomorrow.

Another item I couldn't find anywhere else was one of those single spark plug wire clips. You can find doubles and triples about everywhere but the singles seem to have vanished. George has repros with a nice pic of a white clip that looks identical to the OEM clips. What you get is this POS.

Click to view attachment

Wrong color, smaller than OEM, and the nub fits rather loose in the tin hole. I like to shove it up somebody's tin hole.. happy11.gif It will do for now but if anybody knows where to get one of the original white jobbies, I'd love to hear.

The next gamble was buying an oil temp sensor boot. The pic on the AA site is of some random rubber part that is poorly cast and has nothing to do with the temp boot, but George claimed it was just like the 914Rubber version so rather than pay shipping for a dinky one piece order from 914Rubber, I tossed it in my cart. Well, George was right. It isn't just LIKE the 914Rubber part, it IS the 914Rubber part.

That's great but this is another of those parts they "improved." This time by making the wire hole smaller so it seals better. Yes, that is an improvement but jeeezus does it make ti hard to fit over the harness terminal. I finally figured out if you turn this little jobbie inside out so it looks like a burnt nipple and lube it up with glycerine, you can just barely jam that terminal through without ripping the boot.

Click to view attachment

Then you pull the boot back right side out and use a pair of tweezers to poke the nipple tip back out so it is all perky and proper.

Click to view attachment

My Belmetric order had new copper crush washers for the sensor plate so I was able to button that up and tear of the yellow tag.

Click to view attachment

That's it for now. Tomorrow is tranny day! blush.gif
Superhawk996
Totally agree on the issues with pictures and cross population of who's carrying who's parts. Makes every purchase a bit of a craps shoot.

The other one I get confused by all the time on the AA site is 3 or 4 versions of the same part. Sometimes with no pictures. Vastly different prices. Have to wonder what you'd really be getting so it's funny you got a chome horn grill for the price of a non-painted grill. laugh.gif

I'm pretty sure you could get George on the phone eventually and get the answer but usually I'm ordering parts at 10pm and just want to get it done. This is where we all take on-line vendors for granted.

Remeber the days of having to have the physical catalog in your hand and doing a mail order? Sometimes from a poorly drawn art - line drawings! Remember JC Whitney catalogs? Then this marvelous thing called Toll Free calling came on the scene? Now on-line. Yup some hiccups for sure but I'll take that anyday over mail order!

Glad your nipple turned out to be proper and perky! wub.gif I might skip tranny day though. ohmy.gif
PCA7GGR
Ah, the Automation catalog and annual swap.
Jamie
QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 8 2020, 07:37 PM) *

@mbseto
LOL It really is that different from what you were doing with foam. Just think of it as a climbing wall for tiny little climbers.

The backstory is I got tired of having to rebuild these frog vivaria every few years after any wood put in them rapidly decayed so I made a fake tree out of concrete. Nothing weird about that... right? blink.gif

@rudedude
Thanks so much for the compliments and your thoughts about Niaquq and the new guy. We are rapidly approaching the one year anniversary since we lost Niaquq which also happens to be my wife's birthday which is going to be rough. I don't expect ever have another dog like Niaquq but the new guy, Kalluq has settled in nicely. He is dumb as a stump and has a disgusting habit of eating his own shit, but is quite entertaining. Here's a video of something he usually does at least once a day. In fact, I just made a weekly run to town for grocery supplies and he sang half way there. screwy.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxWyyP_LzQ4

The next time you are out this way, feel free to stop by! We are only 3 miles off I-90 so a very convenient stop. A coupe member have visit and all are welcome. Our guest room will be open for stopovers again after the zombie apocalypse pandemic is past. beerchug.gif

Dang, that dog's as big as a pony! huh.gif
bbrock
Continuing on. Sorry shiny little horn grill but you are just too bright for me. After media blasting.

Click to view attachment

And done.

Click to view attachment

A small task from the Belmetric parts. Usually a guy welcomes a stiff hose.

Click to view attachment

But sometimes soft and supple is what you need.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I know Phil has been waiting in anticipation all day for the tranny day report. Actually it was tranny weekend. Nothing much to report though but I don't want to disappoint Phil. All that happened this weekend was to clean it up.

Click to view attachment

I wanted to rent a steam power washer to make it easy but none of the rental places around here have them. Instead I used Awesome degreaser from Dollar Tree, an assortment of brass brushes and elbow grease. I wasn't going for a shiny case and this case spent too much time in the Midwest to ever be shiny again anyway. Just a clean gray will be just fine. It's a work in progress.

Click to view attachment

I'll leave this for a few days and let the shiny spots dull out and then spray with Boeshield T-9 to protect it and finally coat with Tectyl. Now I need to place an order for seals and other tranny bits.

This is the first time the engine, transmission, and chassis have been this close together in over 30 years.

Click to view attachment

One last thing I did this weekend was spend a little "together time" with the dog in the car. Niaquq was the perfect travel companion and I'm certain he would have even been happy to ride on the center cushion between two passengers for short hops. The new guy is nicknamed "The Wrecking Ball" so I'm optimistically trying to train him to just sit or lie quietly in the passenger seat. We have a LOoong way to go... wacko.gif

Click to view attachment
Jamie
QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 13 2020, 07:26 PM) *

Continuing on. Sorry shiny little horn grill but you are just too bright for me. After media blasting.

Click to view attachment

And done.

Click to view attachment

A small task from the Belmetric parts. Usually a guy welcomes a stiff hose.

Click to view attachment

But sometimes soft and supple is what you need.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I know Phil has been waiting in anticipation all day for the tranny day report. Actually it was tranny weekend. Nothing much to report though but I don't want to disappoint Phil. All that happened this weekend was to clean it up.

Click to view attachment

I wanted to rent a steam power washer to make it easy but none of the rental places around here have them. Instead I used Awesome degreaser from Dollar Tree, an assortment of brass brushes and elbow grease. I wasn't going for a shiny case and this case spent too much time in the Midwest to ever be shiny again anyway. Just a clean gray will be just fine. It's a work in progress.

Click to view attachment

I'll leave this for a few days and let the shiny spots dull out and then spray with Boeshield T-9 to protect it and finally coat with Tectyl. Now I need to place an order for seals and other tranny bits.

This is the first time the engine, transmission, and chassis have been this close together in over 30 years.

Click to view attachment

One last thing I did this weekend was spend a little "together time" with the dog in the car. Niaquq was the perfect travel companion and I'm certain he would have even been happy to ride on the center cushion between two passengers for short hops. The new guy is nicknamed "The Wrecking Ball" so I'm optimistically trying to train him to just sit or lie quietly in the passenger seat. We have a LOoong way to go... wacko.gif

Click to view attachment

Does he like to sing at people while you're driving? rolleyes.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(Jamie @ Dec 13 2020, 08:53 PM) *

Does he like to sing at people while you're driving? rolleyes.gif

Ha! Last week I had to drive into town and he was in the back seat just singing away for about half the trip. It took him awhile to figure out he needed to lie down because the first couple times he sang in the car, he was sitting up and would bang his head on the roof every time he threw his head back for a good howl. He's dumb as a stump but pretty entertaining.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 13 2020, 10:26 PM) *

I'll leave this for a few days and let the shiny spots dull out and then spray with Boeshield T-9 to protect it and finally coat with Tectyl.

I never thought I'd say this but that Tranny looks great av-943.gif

How many hours did you spend to get it to that state?

Before you start tearing apart your garage looking for that old can of Tectyl, don't forget you donated the remnants of your Tectyl to me for the 911 case. huh.gif

Can send back to you. Just PM me and remind me of shipping address. santa_smiley.gif

bbrock
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Dec 14 2020, 08:18 AM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 13 2020, 10:26 PM) *

I'll leave this for a few days and let the shiny spots dull out and then spray with Boeshield T-9 to protect it and finally coat with Tectyl.

I never thought I'd say this but that Tranny looks great av-943.gif

How many hours did you spend to get it to that state?

Before you start tearing apart your garage looking for that old can of Tectyl, don't forget you donated the remnants of your Tectyl to me for the 911 case. huh.gif

Can send back to you. Just PM me and remind me of shipping address. santa_smiley.gif

lol-2.gif I already have another can of Tectyl on its way. I forgot all about the tranny when I sent that can off with you but still glad I did. santa_smiley.gif Enjoy it and think fondly of me whenever that gooey crap rubs off on your hands av-943.gif Actually, it's not that bad and eventually dries to a hard waxy surface.

I have a good eight hours into cleaning that case just over the weekend but probably spent another 4-8 hourse when I first pulled it out of the car 30 years ago. A steam power washer would have been nice!
rudedude
I hope that fire extinguisher has a home that's not in the front compartment. It looks to be halon and just remember, as I recently found out, you have a maximum of 2 seconds of discharge. Hope you never have to use it.
mb911
QUOTE(rudedude @ Dec 14 2020, 10:06 AM) *

I hope that fire extinguisher has a home that's not in the front compartment. It looks to be halon and just remember, as I recently found out, you have a maximum of 2 seconds of discharge. Hope you never have to use it.

I think purple K are the ones to have? Thats what @coondog suggests.. I am going to install one in the cabin on my car
bbrock
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 14 2020, 11:10 AM) *

QUOTE(rudedude @ Dec 14 2020, 10:06 AM) *

I think purple K are the ones to have? Thats what @coondog suggests.. I am going to install one in the cabin on my car

That one is a Purple K following Coondog's recs. It is just laying in the front for storage right now.
bbrock
The Badger

I'm a Seinfeld fan so this post is pretty much about nothing but does speak to the life of a restoration project in 2020. I'm pretty much held up on progress waiting for parts to arrive.

I ordered a windshield for the car from Speedy Glass, the only glass shop in town that would even return my call after being told what I was looking for. That was back in April and COVID had really slowed things down so I knew it would be a several months wait. Through periodic checking, I learned when the shop had enough glass orders to place a shipment order from the distributor, the distributor had mysteriously deleted their account and they were having fits getting it re-established. Weeks went by and still no progress. Last week it got even worse. The account issues are apparently straightened out, but the distributor in Spokane, WA is not shipping east of Idaho. WTF? My shop tried to set up an independent trucker to deliver the glass (it is a half-day drive) but the independent companies don't want the liability of shipping that much glass. WTF again? So the wait continues.

Then there are the valve adjusters that have been stalled in Frankfurt for over a month. Finally earlier this week there was finally movement on tracking. They had arrived in San Francisco and then moved to LA which is where they need to go so I thought the bugguy would soon have the adjusters and be able to send my rockers and all back to me. However, as of this morning, the tracking showed the adjusters were in Seattle. WTF, WTF, WTF? headbang.gif

I also need to install a manifold vacuum tube into one of my carbs to run vacuum retard. I have the tubes in hand from Pierce Manifold but need a 5mm drill which I can't find locally and there isn't a fractional inch equivalent close enough. Said drill bits were ordered, arrived in Billings at 1am yesterday, and were scheduled for delivery today. Checked this morning and apparently the bits were tired from their travels and decided to spend an extra night in Billings so won't arrive until Monday. Another task I can't do this weekend.

Finally, I have transmission seals and misc. bits on order through Sunset Porsche that will probably arrive next week. Those aren't delayed, but just more on the list I'm waiting on.

All this spare time has allowed me to obsess even more over a conundrum that has haunted me ever since I got the chassis painted - to badge, or not to badge?

Click to view attachment

Every time I look at this silvery bastard I think that hood is too much blank canvas and would look so much nicer with a jewel. On the other side, I have this originality bug and like to honor how the car came from the factory. ALSO, I'm a CSOB and those badges have gotten ridiculously expensive. The issue was resolved in my brain to save my nickles until I read that damn 50 Years: Porsche 914 book and in particular, this passage:

"In addition, as well as this lettering on on the rear, it was decided to investigate whether the use of the Porsche crest on the front hood could be approved.

This proposal already appeared as a recommendation on the agenda of the 24th program committee meeting on 20 March [1970] and was now agreed. This solution did not last long however, as the two models were released to the world as VW-Porsche 914 and VW-Porsche 914/6 shortly before the IAA."

It would seem the 914 development team wanted the cars badged but the somewhat dysfunctional marketing relationship with VW kept it from happening. So what honors the car more here? Follow the wishes of the development team, or stick with history. Not that my little car gives a flying fart about honor but you know..

Then this morning I'm looking at the car again thinking about what I can accomplish this weekend and started thinking badge... no badge. Then a strange thought came to my psycho brain. My last name means "badger" in Old English which I always equated with the animal because they are bad-asses and cool which fits because I'm... well NOT lol-2.gif And then I thought, hmm, badger could mean "one who badges..." Right, right? biggrin.gif So which kind of badger am I? Heck if I know. confused24.gif

I know this. If I did get a crest on the car, I will not be drilling the hood. Instead I will cut the posts of the crest (I will cry doing it because did I mention they are ridiculously expensive?) and apply the badge with 3M trim tape. I guess I'll just have to keep obsessing.

There you go. Another long and screwy post and absolutely nothing happened... not that there's anything WRONG with that...
PCA7GGR
"Badges? We ain't got no badges! We don't need no badges!
I don't have to show you any stinking badges!"
Click to view attachment

mb911
QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 19 2020, 12:13 PM) *

The Badger

I'm a Seinfeld fan so this post is pretty much about nothing but does speak to the life of a restoration project in 2020. I'm pretty much held up on progress waiting for parts to arrive.

I ordered a windshield for the car from Speedy Glass, the only glass shop in town that would even return my call after being told what I was looking for. That was back in April and COVID had really slowed things down so I knew it would be a several months wait. Through periodic checking, I learned when the shop had enough glass orders to place a shipment order from the distributor, the distributor had mysteriously deleted their account and they were having fits getting it re-established. Weeks went by and still no progress. Last week it got even worse. The account issues are apparently straightened out, but the distributor in Spokane, WA is not shipping east of Idaho. WTF? My shop tried to set up an independent trucker to deliver the glass (it is a half-day drive) but the independent companies don't want the liability of shipping that much glass. WTF again? So the wait continues.

Then there are the valve adjusters that have been stalled in Frankfurt for over a month. Finally earlier this week there was finally movement on tracking. They had arrived in San Francisco and then moved to LA which is where they need to go so I thought the bugguy would soon have the adjusters and be able to send my rockers and all back to me. However, as of this morning, the tracking showed the adjusters were in Seattle. WTF, WTF, WTF? headbang.gif

I also need to install a manifold vacuum tube into one of my carbs to run vacuum retard. I have the tubes in hand from Pierce Manifold but need a 5mm drill which I can't find locally and there isn't a fractional inch equivalent close enough. Said drill bits were ordered, arrived in Billings at 1am yesterday, and were scheduled for delivery today. Checked this morning and apparently the bits were tired from their travels and decided to spend an extra night in Billings so won't arrive until Monday. Another task I can't do this weekend.

Finally, I have transmission seals and misc. bits on order through Sunset Porsche that will probably arrive next week. Those aren't delayed, but just more on the list I'm waiting on.

All this spare time has allowed me to obsess even more over a conundrum that has haunted me ever since I got the chassis painted - to badge, or not to badge?

Click to view attachment

Every time I look at this silvery bastard I think that hood is too much blank canvas and would look so much nicer with a jewel. On the other side, I have this originality bug and like to honor how the car came from the factory. ALSO, I'm a CSOB and those badges have gotten ridiculously expensive. The issue was resolved in my brain to save my nickles until I read that damn 50 Years: Porsche 914 book and in particular, this passage:

"In addition, as well as this lettering on on the rear, it was decided to investigate whether the use of the Porsche crest on the front hood could be approved.

This proposal already appeared as a recommendation on the agenda of the 24th program committee meeting on on 20 March [1970] and was now agreed. This solution did not last long however, as the two models were released to the world as VW-Porsche 914 and VW-Porsche 914/6 shortly before the IAA."

It would seem the 914 development team wanted the cars badged but the somewhat dysfunctional marketing relationship with VW kept it from happening. So what honors the car more here? Follow the wishes of the development team, or stick with history. Not that my little car gives a flying fart about honor but you know..

Then this morning I'm looking at the car again thinking about what I can accomplish this weekend and started thinking badge... no badge. Then a strange thought came to my psycho brain. My last name means "badger" in Old English which I always equated with the animal because they are bad-asses and cool which fits because I'm... well NOT lol-2.gif And then I thought, hmm, badger could mean "one who badges..." Right, right? biggrin.gif So which kind of badger am I? Heck if I know. confused24.gif

I know this. If I did get a crest on the car, I will not be drilling the hood. Instead I will cut the posts of the crest (I will cry doing it because did I mention they are ridiculously expensive?) and apply the badge with 3M trim tape. I guess I'll just have to keep obsessing.

There you go. Another long and screwy post and absolutely nothing happened... not that there's anything WRONG with that...

You forgot waiting on your muffler.. biggrin.gif oh and why not just do the GT style badge sticker? That would fit??
altitude411
QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 19 2020, 01:13 PM) *

The Badger

...post count whore popcorn[1].gif
Superhawk996
QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 19 2020, 03:13 PM) *

The Badger

- to badge, or not to badge?

Ferrari didn't put a Ferrari badge on the Dino. One of the most beautiful cars Ferrari ever built.

Porsche didn't put a Porsche badge on the 914. One of the best handling cars Porsche ever designed/built.

Good enough for me. poke.gif

You might want to consider one of those Calvin characters taking a leak on a 911 though! calvin.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(altitude411 @ Dec 19 2020, 12:42 PM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 19 2020, 01:13 PM) *

The Badger

...post count whore popcorn[1].gif

agree.gif

Drill bits too tired to leave Billings? I can’t imagine being too tired not to leave Billings. happy11.gif

Maybe a badge would spiff up your front bumper. shades.gif
930cabman
QUOTE(PCA7GGR @ Dec 19 2020, 03:26 PM) *

"Badges? We ain't got no badges! We don't need no badges!
I don't have to show you any stinking badges!"
Click to view attachment

+1
bkrantz
Maybe a NARP badge?
raynekat
I'd just add one of these decals (that's what I did).
If it's good enough for a 73 Carrera RS, "should" be good enough for your beauty....
sunglasses.gif

Click to view attachment
flyer86d
QUOTE(raynekat @ Dec 20 2020, 04:58 PM) *

I'd just add one of these decals (that's what I did).
If it's good enough for a 73 Carrera RS, "should" be good enough for your beauty....
sunglasses.gif

Click to view attachment

Yes! If you don’t like it, you can remove it. If you drill the holes, you are committed.

Charlie
bbrock
The problem with sticker is that's the GT look which opens a whole can of worms. At a minimum I'd have to flare the fenders to match. Then open up the engine grill, then fiberglass the hood, then... biggrin.gif

Definitely on the same page about not drilling the hood. Like I said, I would cut the posts off of the badge and use 3M Trim Tape so it would be completely reversible.

I've seen enough pics of silver 914s to know that I very much prefer the look with the badge on. I actually had a 914 I painted black and badged back when you could buy them at reasonable prices. I liked that one better too. When it comes to 914's on bright colors, I don't think the badge adds as much and can take it or leave it. It really comes down to whether it is worth the $ to me and I am cheap, cheap cheap. Maybe I'll just go with this instead.

Click to view attachment

Speaking of cheap, I believe this is post #3,887 Just three more and I get a free sub! piratenanner.gif
bbrock
This Sucks... I Hope

Caught a lucky break today. Had a Pelican order from FedEx delivered today and I guess since USPS does the Sunday FedEx deliveries, they decided to deliver the drill bits that got held up in Billings. No more excuse not to install the vacuum tube in one of my carbs.

Click to view attachment

The job was easy because tubes were already installed for ported vacuum and drilled and plugged for manifold vacuum. It was just a matter of chasing the threaded hole with a 5mm bit and smearing a bit of JB Weld on the new tube for good measure, and gently tapping it into place.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Hoses connected. Hmm idea.gif , there's something not quite right about one of those. I'll have to figure something out.

Click to view attachment

Post 3,889 chowtime.gif
bbrock
Thanks everyone for the fun banter on this thread the last couple days. It means more than you know. Today has not been an easy day. It is my wife's birthday today but also marks the one year anniversary of losing our Niaquq. One night he was wrestling with me on the couch, and 24 hours later his corpse was getting cold on our porch. We've lost dogs before and it always sucks, but goddammit, this one was special and to lose him when we thought he had so much life still ahead really hurt. It just wouldn't feel right to pass the day without paying tribute.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
altitude411
Here's to Niaquq beerchug.gif Your wifes birthday beerchug.gif

confused24.gif ...and your new sub?!? blink.gif

Click to view attachment

* seriously though Brent. Thank you for giving us all a fantastic build thread and letting us into your world for a bit. Looking forward to your submarine restoration thread. (keep it silver, lose the badge) sunglasses.gif
930cabman

Threshold - take three

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Sep 30 2017, 08:14 AM) *

agree.gif !!
Looking REALLY good. And if it's anything like what I experience, it looks even better in real life.

Funny you should mention this. I've wasted way too much time just staring at this side of the car and admiring how nice it looks. But the more I stared, the more something was bugging me. The threshold gap below the door looked wide toward the front. I tried to convince myself it was just an illusion caused by the rust in the lower right corner of the door. But no. Somehow the narrow section of threshold that goes around the hinge post had slipped low before I welded it. I think the torque of the zip screws I used to pull the seam tight probably did it. Anyway, I spent an hour cutting that part loose and rewelding. Looks better now but not anything that shows up in a pic.

Mostly grunt work today

The rest of the day was a lot of work but not much worth photographing. This morning I installed this new tank purging valve on my compressor. I thought I had enough wire on hand to wire up a 120 outlet to plug into. I was wrong so will have to wait for my next trip to town before wiring it in.

Attached Image

My compressor is in an unheated shed and it is usually chilly here, so despite our low humidity, it still produces a lot of water. I had one of those cheap HF valves on it which worked well through the summer. But after the first night below freezing (we've already had a couple of snows), it started leaking. This one should do better,

While I was in there, I also installed a union joint to make things easier if I ever have to move the compressor again.

Attached Image

Most of the day was spent cutting the old gussets off of the donor suspension consoles and grinding off those welds. Then a final bead blasting and a soak down with Jasco to kill any rust that might still be hiding in seams. I bought the first set of gussets from 914Rubber after Mark put them on the site and they are on the way. I really like recycling donor parts but these consoles chew up a lot of time cleaning and prepping.

Hopefully, I'll get the outer console attached tomorrow. I mentioned I needed an ~230mm long M10 bolt to follow the factory procedure to check the alignment spec for this part. Good luck finding one. Googling turned up one in a warehouse in Germany. McMaster-Carr and Belmetric both top out at 200mm. Fastenal carries 220mm and 240mm which would work, but $20 shipped. My improvisation was to buy the longest M10 I could find locally, cut it in two pieces, and weld a piece of steel tube between to get the right length. Seems to have worked out okay.

Attached Image

Where does one find an "outer console", I am hoping we don't need to fab this from scratch?
mepstein

Where does one find an "outer console", I am hoping we don't need to fab this from scratch?

From a parts car
bbrock
Click to view attachment

Well that's not what you want to find on your car yikes.gif Here's the deal. Yesterday I went out to the garage to complete a quick little task which was to install new windshield washer nozzles as my old ones were shot.

Click to view attachment

I should have know better. It is those "little tasks" that wind up biting you in the ass. First, I had to remove the fuel filler to gain access under the passenger side nozzle to replace the check valve. Not the worst job but kind of a pain. Nozzles were easy to replace and it was a matter of popping the new nozzles into their holes and hooking up the check valves.Ha! #@$% those little fuchers! The rubber is formed into a wide flange that needs to be pushed or pulled through the holes to lock the nozzles into place. Pulling from the back side so hard I thought the nozzle would tear in half and wiggling back and forth was no use. Trying to wrangle them in wound up tearing the paint loose around the hole on one side. headbang.gif

Click to view attachment

Luckily the damage is all hidden by the nozzle but I needed to seal those cracks so mixed up a bit of clear coat and let it seep in to reseal so moisture couldn't get in. If you look at the light reflection, you cam see a small dent pressed int the cowl from having to press those goddam nozzles so hard. There is a match one on the other side. I'm probably the only one who will notice but might wind up taking it to a paintless dent repair guru to see if they and be smoothed out. After all that, I still wasn't any closer to getting those little ass pustules in place. The only way I was able to get them in was to lay down a towel to protect the paint and use a small screwdriver to slide under the nozzle into the slot the sheet metal is suppose to fit in and pry the rubber flange down through the hole. I couldn't use a plastic tool because of the force required. A completely nerve-wracking operation to say the least. Hands down the worst designed part I've had to fight on this car but they finally went in... almost. Even after all that, the passenger side nozzle wanted to lift up just slightly on the front just enough it would invite moisture to creep in and get trapped. My solution was to work some 3M Weatherstrip adhesive under the nozzle with a toothpick and put some weight on the top while it set up. Hence, the anvil.

Sadly, I was leaning heavily toward buying the newer style nozzles that are not only about a third the price, but would have matched the blackout trim on the car better AND really would have just popped in place since they use plastic spring prongs rather than those wads of rubber damnation. Anyway, those little assholes are in and I finally pressurized the system for the first time in 35 years and gave them a test - with air only since there is no windshield and I didn't feel like spraying water into my interior. They work! piratenanner.gif I've said it before, but I just don't understand why you guys "upgrade" these things to an electric pump. The system is so ridiculously German that I can't imagine eliminating such a great conversation piece. Just the other day I was explaining it to a neighbor and the look of horror on her face was worth any inconvenience this system creates. lol-2.gif

Most of the rest of the weekend was spending cleaning up the shop. I did get one other little job done which was to crimp terminals onto the Pertronix leads and hook up the coil. Note the color correct sleeve. I'm pretty sure the car would idle roughly if the "points lead" wasn't the proper green. shades.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I'm mostly waiting on parts to arrive due to the USPS backlog. Hopefully some will arrive this week as I took the week off hoping to make a lot of progress on the car.
Superhawk996
It's always the little details like those nozzles that make me mad. Just a little tweaking of the tooling and they should fit properly. But nope, tools get too worn, tolerances drift and then it's a PITA to install and/or modifications are necessary!

Looking good.

You are 100% correct that the air powered washeres are cool. Until you get to the point were the check valve cuts you off and/or the washer bottle isn't fully sealed and then you find the spray pattern is like a 90 year old taking a leak. Lucky to get just a dribble.

When I had mine set up that way in my 1st car, they always lost pressure at the most inconvenient times and I eventually rigged up an electric. Originality aside, I intend to go electric right out the chute this time. huh.gif

Looking great! Keep going. Want to see that puppy run this summer!
bbrock
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Dec 27 2020, 06:35 PM) *

Originality aside, I intend to go electric right out the chute this time. huh.gif

Heresy! happy11.gif
The only issue I've had with the "pressure washer" is when one of the 914s I've owned had rotten lines and I went to my local FLAPS to get standard washer hose to replace them. Bad plan as I quickly learned when the hose burst right over my lap and I climbed out of the car looking like I'd peed my pants... and not just a 90 year old dribble either!

The valve adjusters finally ended their two month journey from Germany to the US and then a lap up and down the west coast to LA yesterday and are now on their way along with my machined rockers and solid spacers to me. Turns out some poor lady's package label got stuck to the box which is why it took a side trip to Seattle and then spent two days in Portland. Then the valve geometry fun begins.
76-914
Sorry about you Dog Brent. Sorry is all I can say but there aren't any words that can express your sorrow once they've departed. Nor any words that can replace the lasting impression they've left you with. They bless our lives, steal our hearts and then in the next instant they are gone. Truly one of life's greatest inequities. I make no apologies for liking Dogs more than people. I hope ya'll will allow yourselves another dog soon. beerchug.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 27 2020, 09:14 PM) *

Sorry about you Dog Brent. Sorry is all I can say but there aren't any words that can express your sorrow once they've departed. Nor any words that can replace the lasting impression they've left you with. They bless our lives, steal our hearts and then in the next instant they are gone. Truly one of life's greatest inequities. I make no apologies for liking Dogs more than people. I hope ya'll will allow yourselves another dog soon. beerchug.gif

@76-914 Thanks Kent. I agree. When you have a good dog, who needs people? beerchug.gif Luckily, we didn't let the house remain dogless for long. In mid-February we drove out to Washington to adopt malamute #4. Here is Kalluq at our friend's place in Snohomish shortly after we picked him up from the rescue.

Click to view attachment

It was lucky we did because we were leaving the Seattle area just as the first cases of COVID were being diagnosed. Had we waited, we'd probably still have an empty house.

To borrow from Pete Townsend, "Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."

Click to view attachment
930cabman
Man's best friend. Sorry for your and your family's loss

On a minor note, nice touch with an anvil on the cowl

Keep up the good work
bbrock
Anyone recognize this part? I can not figure out where it goes. confused24.gif

Click to view attachment

Oh right, I just remembered. @Superhawk996 said my snorkel was so massive that it needed support. shades.gif happy11.gif

Click to view attachment

A few progress pics...

First cardboard template.

Click to view attachment

Transfer to flat stock. Feeling really envious of @tygaboy 's shop about now.

Click to view attachment

Lot's of quality time with the cutting and grinding wheels followed by some final shaping.

Click to view attachment

Last bit was to add a spring hook... crappy pic though.

Click to view attachment

I put a rubber lip on the cradle to eliminate rattles. I came up with several ideas for securing the snorkel so it doesn't rattle around. I want to be able to remove the whole air cleaner without tools so that was a criteria. I thought the spring method was simple and fit with the engineering philosophy of the car. I might have to shorten the spring a little to add more tension but will see how this works.

Click to view attachment
raynekat
Warning...warning.
Mad scientist hard at work.
Get 'em Brent.
tygaboy
Hey Brent - Looks like you're doing just fine without all the fancy tool whore crap! aktion035.gif
I'd volunteer to make you anything you might need but I suspect you're looking to do everything yourself, which I totally get. And admire! That said, if there ever is something I can do, I'd be honored to contribute to your build.
bbrock
@tygaboy
Thanks Chris. I do have something I might take you up on your generous offer on. It might also be a good excuse to buy the 3D printer I've wanted for years though. The biggest challenge for most things is transferring the design in my head into something you could use to program your machine. I'm pretty slow with CAD.

@raynekat
I made a trip to the salvage yard to bring some corpse parts back to my lab for the next crazy thing I've cooked up. Stay tuned. naughty.gif
Superhawk996
A lot of non-stock parts here . . . that's going to cost you points at the concours. laugh.gif

Can't wait to see the outcome from "corpse parts" hide.gif
930cabman
It's a good thing we all have plenty of "extra time" for this nonsense And our wives put up with it

Keep up the good work BB, all of this stuff is just time, but generally satisfying

Have a safe and Happy New Year to all
bbrock
I think I mentioned before that after installing the 914Rubber dash cap, the gap around my ash tray was off. It's been bugging me so I decided to see if I could fix it. Here's the before. Note uneven gap across the top.

Click to view attachment

Here's after fiddling with it a bit. I'm pretty happy with this.

Click to view attachment

To spice things up a little, I thought I try making a little video to show how I did it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EcXdb3c_r0
Superhawk996
Nice job with the cupholder. Always fascinated by the creativity Brent! aktion035.gif

Now about those gaps . . . I think the 1970's era fit and finish (i.e. crappy gaps) is all part of the 914 charm. shades.gif We'll see how much I still feel that way when I get around to putting my interior back together. lol-2.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.