Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Intro from Montana: '73 2.0L rustoration thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45
bkrantz
You could move closer to sea level. biggrin.gif

Seriously, I am sure you have thought about jetting appropriate for your home elevation.
bbrock
QUOTE(bkrantz @ May 29 2022, 08:25 PM) *

You could move closer to sea level. biggrin.gif

lol-2.gif A reason I want to Megasquirt is so I can drive from here to Seattle without burning a hole in a piston. I guess moving to Seattle could fix that biggrin.gif

Seriously, I am sure you have thought about jetting appropriate for your home elevation.

Yep, I started another thread to figure out how best to do exactly that. Then the question is how far to go given I hope to be ditching the carbs over next winter (yeah, that's what I said last here smile.gif ). Right now my leaning is to swap to smaller idle jets, and maybe increase the air correction jets. The first to lean out the idle and progression circuits, the latter to lean the upper end a bit.

This from someone who doesn't really understand all of this stuff. Objectives here are to increase fuel economy at low speeds and be able to motor over some 10,000 ft. passes this summer without having the engine choke on fuel.
raynekat
After you get the snakes in house to handle the mices....just let me know if you need the "flocking kit" back. wink.gif tongue.gif Oh man....
bbrock
QUOTE(raynekat @ May 30 2022, 11:07 PM) *

After you get the snakes in house to handle the mices....just let me know if you need the "flocking kit" back. wink.gif tongue.gif Oh man....

av-943.gif Luckily, the mouse didn't flock up the flocking. I actually wound up buying my own materials so can flock myself now rolleyes.gif

I think we're overdue for some critter shots.

One of a flock that has been showing up in the yard for some months now.
Click to view attachment

From the "frog room" in our house last week.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

And the obligatory knucklehead shot.
Click to view attachment
76-914
QUOTE(bbrock @ May 29 2022, 08:01 AM) *

QUOTE(tygaboy @ May 29 2022, 08:29 AM) *

@bbrock - I can't speak to carbs or air cooled (so why am I even posting...? huh.gif )
Maybe it holds true across engines: With my Holley ECU there's a specific setting that completely cuts fuel on closed throttle. I display AFR as on of the gauges in the digital dash and on closed throttle, it pegs full lean.
Again, maybe it's a different game with an H2O cooled, but I thought I'd mention it.

Nope, not a different game. One of the may reasons I want to go FI is to be able to do exactly that, shut off the fuel completely when it isn't needed. I believe on carbs, you just have to take what you get when the throttle closes and whatever you get is a waste of fuel. I'd also like to know a little more about how lean is safe for an air cooled engine at highway cruise with little load.

Using Jakes guide I'm sure you could use your head temp sensor to extrapolate the A/F ratio required. confused24.gif
http://www.914world.com/specs/JakeRabyHeadTemps.php
rfinegan
this will get you close for a set of webers and a wide band O2
https://www.aircooled.net/how-to-use-a-wide...-flat-4-engine/
bbrock
QUOTE(rfinegan @ May 31 2022, 09:38 AM) *

this will get you close for a set of webers and a wide band O2
https://www.aircooled.net/how-to-use-a-wide...-flat-4-engine/

Just responded on the other thread, but I will thank you here as well! beer.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(76-914 @ May 31 2022, 09:33 AM) *

Using Jakes guide I'm sure you could use your head temp sensor to extrapolate the A/F ratio required. confused24.gif
http://www.914world.com/specs/JakeRabyHeadTemps.php

I haven't installed a head temp sensor yet (just oil temp). When I do, it will be part of the Megasquirt project so this crazy carburetor stuff will be moot by then. smile.gif
bbrock
Hi all,

I know a couple folks have wondered what the heck happened to me so I thought I'd drop a quick note here. I'm still kicking and have been lurking off and on but haven't participated much due to being thrown one of life's curve balls. In early January I was diagnosed with metastatic melanoma which has pretty much consumed all of my time since. I began immunotherapy treatment which is not only very effective against melanoma but usually much gentler on the body than traditional chemo. I wasn't so lucky and have had serious side effects which have landed me in and out of the ER and hospital several times. I'm told I came within a coin toss of buying the farm once. There is obviously a much longer story, but last week I had surgery at the Huntsman Cancer Center in Utah to remove the tumor and have been recovering here since. I am headed home tomorrow and hope to be driving the 914 within a couple of weeks albeit without the megasquirt I had hoped to install over the winter. driving.gif
krazykonrad
All the best for a speedy recovery! We're all pulling for you.
rjames
Best of luck Brent. Hope you're driving your 914 soon.

Fuch cancer!!
Dion
Dammit! Hell Brent so sorry to read this. Sounds as if you have it reigned in.
Hope the recovery from this point is smooth. What an ordeal.
Was tempted to do a APB but figured you were tracking out in the wilderness.
Now you need to stay on track!
Safe journey home man. Your pup will be anxiously awaiting your return I’m sure.
Talk to ya soon. Stay strong buddy!
Cairo94507
Wishing you the best Brent and very rapid full recovery so you are back in the driver's seat quickly. beerchug.gif
mb911
Darn it. Many of my friends are telling stories like this. I hope and pray for a quick recovery.
FlacaProductions
Well, heck - sounds like you're ready to come down off of your own personal jack stands so good for you! Good thoughts your way.
KELTY360
Oh Man, that bites! I'm sure you know you're not alone. Can't say I've ever heard the term 'chemo' and 'gentler on the body' in the same sentence. I feel for you. I had a tumor removed from my cheek a year ago but didn't need chemo; radiation was bad enough. Hang in there and don't rush the recovery...listen to the docs. All the best to you.
Superhawk996
From yet another member of your fan club, nothing but prayers for your continued recovery!

Get well soon - we are all anxiously awaiting your next project and innovations!
altitude411
Been wondering where you took off to? So sorry to hear about this my friend. I keep looking for you to pass me in the Bear Trap Canyon or see you in the Bozone. Recover and put this behind you. Let me know if there is anything you need... ANYTHING
BeatNavy
Hey Brent! You've got a lot of animals both here on the world and out in nature rooting for you! Stay positive and get better my friend beerchug.gif
mepstein
Good to hear from you and hoping you will be able to put this in your rear view mirror asap.
flyer86d
Brent,

Well that was not what I wanted to hear….. My personal experience with Cancer is that it is a nasty journey. Be prepared that you may never be permanently clear but it is something that you have to live with and can. All the best brother. You will make it!

Charlie
burton73
Brent,

I am so sorry to hear this. Totally rooting for you and prayers are going out to you and your family. Yes, too many people coming down with cancer.

Stay focused and never lose the faith brother

Best to you and your family.

Bob B

ThinAir
Prayers for you Brent! Been spared melanoma, but have enough other skin cancer treatments that I'm always thankful when I come away from my dermatologist with all the same parts that I went in with. The stuff is no joke and I'm praying that you will have a full recovery.
wonkipop
get in the car and get well mate. beerchug.gif
all the best.
930cabman
Our prayers are with you, stay positive along this journey
76-914
Damn it all. What can I do to make it better. I always wanted to see Montana and I know you want to get those carbs off so...........If you'd like an assistant who works for free LMK. In the meantime you will be in my prayers Brent. All the best my friend. Kent
KELTY360
QUOTE(76-914 @ May 3 2023, 06:16 AM) *

Damn it all. What can I do to make it better. I always wanted to see Montana and I know you want to get those carbs off so...........If you'd like an assistant who works for free LMK. In the meantime you will be in my prayers Brent. All the best my friend. Kent

Take him up on it Brent, Kent is a great guy. And Kent, you won’t believe what a cool spot Brent has. That three mile road to his house keeps the riff-raff out, or in.
r_towle
I hope you get better, and finally get driving the car.

Carbs work fine, get them setup and start driving.

Rich
bbrock
Thanks everyone for all your support! pray.gif

@flyer86d Yes. I keep trying to emphasize that to my aging mother who keeps wanting to hear a declaration of "all clear." I keep trying to tell her that it isn't likely to happen, but cancer like mine that was a nearly certain death sentence not many years ago is now a manageable disease.

@76-914 I think that would be WAY cool and would love to give it serious thought. Now is not the time but the time will come. I am worried if we did this I would somehow wind up with a Japanese lump in my engine bay though! happy11.gif

Yesterday was a nice day so I did peel off the car cover and drove the teener to my doctors appointments. It aggravated the hell out of my surgery but damn it was worth the pain. The car runs absolutely sublime after spending last summer dialing in the carbs to a gnat's ass even after sitting for the winter. Sure, the carbs run fine but there are many reasons they have to go. We'll get there.

Had kind of a surreal experience in the 2 1/2 hours in the infusion chair yesterday. I bought a new DD from a dealer 1500 miles away while there. Us old farts know that is sorcery. We've been looking for a RAV4 Prime for a year but can't get them out here due to supply shortages. Toyota simply will not allocate them to Montana dealers and other western dealers won't sell them out of state. I noticed that east coast dealers were starting to build inventory on their lots so started contacting some. Didn't take long to find the right car and make the deal. With this car, we'll be able to fuel 80-90% of our driving that is local commuting with solar power off our roof and have very fuel efficient transportation for longer trips. I estimated it could cut the payback time for our solar system by as much as 1/2. Pretty excited about that. It won't replace the Porsche as "the fun car" though. BTW, any advice on choosing a shipper welcome. I have a ton of quotes to sort through.

Thanks again all!
Cairo94507
Hi Brent - I have shipped a few cars back and forth. Try to find an owner/operator who picks your new Rav up at the dealership and is actually the one who delivers it too.

Most transports now are handled by brokers who accept the job and then the car is leap frogged on many different carriers to get to you. In my opinion, that is not good.

Have the dealership shoot all around high quality photos of the Rav right before it rolls up the ramp to be loaded and once it arrives you inspect it closely for damage.

Good luck on all fronts my friend.
Michael beerchug.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 7 2023, 05:44 AM) *

Hi Brent - I have shipped a few cars back and forth. Try to find an owner/operator who picks your new Rav up at the dealership and is actually the one who delivers it too.

Most transports now are handled by brokers who accept the job and then the car is leap frogged on many different carriers to get to you. In my opinion, that is not good.

Have the dealership shoot all around high quality photos of the Rav right before it rolls up the ramp to be loaded and once it arrives you inspect it closely for damage.

Michael beerchug.gif

Great tips. Thanks! Got a bunch of good pics from the dealer today and will be asking about single transporter through whole route. Would not have known about that.

Yesterday the wife asked if she could drive the Porsche to work. I was thrilled and grinned ear to ear as she drove away. Then she comes home and hauls a used office chair she bought out of the passenger seat. We had a discussion about appropriate use of the car. I told her it isn't a pickup truck. Bloody hell. blink.gif
Superhawk996
av-943.gif

Happy to see you posting, it puts a smile on my face !
KELTY360
QUOTE(bbrock @ May 9 2023, 01:16 PM) *

Yesterday the wife asked if she could drive the Porsche to work. I was thrilled and grinned ear to ear as she drove away. Then she comes home and hauls a used office chair she bought out of the passenger seat. We had a discussion about appropriate use of the car. I told her it isn't a pickup truck. Bloody hell. blink.gif

Are you sure you’re not being a bit snobby? poke.gif
altitude411
QUOTE(bbrock @ May 9 2023, 03:16 PM) *

Pfft, she has already forgotten about that conversation... dry.gif

idea.gif maybe if you "borrow" her best pair of heels next time you mow the lawn. huh.gif
Superhawk996
QUOTE(altitude411 @ May 9 2023, 08:34 PM) *

idea.gif maybe if you "borrow" her best pair of heels next time you mow the lawn. huh.gif

agree.gif

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
worn
QUOTE(bbrock @ May 9 2023, 01:16 PM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 7 2023, 05:44 AM) *

Michael beerchug.gif

Great tips. Thanks! Got a bunch of good pics from the dealer today and will be asking about single transporter through whole route. Would not have known about that.

Looks like you make your own luck there. She can drive it, and she can stuff things into it. You have to admit she is a star.
KELTY360
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ May 9 2023, 05:41 PM) *

agree.gif

agree.gif
jaredmcginness
Hoping you are doing well in your health Brent.
Also, LOVE the hidden side markers, so cool.
bbrock
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ May 9 2023, 07:01 PM) *

agree.gif

agree.gif

Well this conversation took an unfortunate turn. blink.gif lol-2.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(bbrock @ May 10 2023, 08:35 PM) *

agree.gif

agree.gif

Does that surprise you?
bbrock
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ May 10 2023, 09:37 PM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ May 10 2023, 08:35 PM) *

agree.gif

agree.gif

Does that surprise you?

I expect nothing less dry.gif
bbrock
Okay, to get the subject off me mowing the lawn in heels (BTW, I hate lawns and don't have one - heels on the other hand...) let's roll back to June 2022 where I left off so you can all witness my epic fail.

Before diving into the new driving season I wanted to add some protection to the pain of my car, so I ordered a sheet of Xpel paint protection film (PPF) large enough to cover the front end. After reviewing plenty of Youtube vids and a thorough wash and prep of the car, I started with the easy part which was the hood. That did go pretty easy although after laying it down the first time, I decided to pull it off and reposition a little. That caused a small issue.

Film being applied.

Click to view attachment

All smoothed out and done.

Click to view attachment

And here is the issue. When I pulled the film to reposition, I over stretched this bit of plastic so it shows if you get the light right. I decided to live with the flaw. Nobody else seems to have noticed it.

Click to view attachment

Next up was the fender. Utter failure. I watched a couple vids doing 911 fenders but the curves on the 914 are much tighter and I just could not get the film to stretch and lay down. It was very frustrating. I had one fender's worth of extra plastic so I tried twice. Each failure burned about $100 worth of film. I didn't take any pics while I was fighting the film but this is representative of the final result.

Click to view attachment

I decided to apply the remaining piece of film to the driver's door to give it added protection. So I ended up with the hood and headlight covers treated as well as one door. The film is nearly invisible. Very hard to tell it is even there.

I followed the film with ceramic coating over the whole car. I didn't quite get two coats over the whole car so need to reapply. Weird thing happened though. After getting the car in the sun, I could see the wipe marks show up as rainbow colors over the PPF only. I'd point it out to other people and they looked at me like I was crazy. Finally figured out the phenomena is only visible with polarizing sunglasses which I wear. Very strange. Seems to have faded with time but still there.

IPB Image

On my first road trip after adding the film I had a nearly golf ball sized rock fly off a truck in front of me and bounce right off the hood of my car. I could see a gouge in the plastic after it hit. By the time I got to my destination, the film had self healed and there was not trace the incident had happened. Pretty amazing stuff.
Root_Werks
That plastic cover stuff looks really nifty. Almost tempting to use on at least the hood. idea.gif
930cabman
"self healed"

we need more of this stuff.

Is it similar to the 3M product?
Cairo94507
I think PPF (Paint Protection Film) is the way to go. I had my entire hood wrapped, (if you do this make sure they actually wrap the edges of the hood so they are not left vulnerable) both front fenders, headlight covers, eye brows, headlights and driving lights. I also did the door edge of both doors, the door handle cups, and the inner edge of the fender wells that typically take all of the rock abuse from driving. You might think, "that's a lot." but I have 8K miles on my car and the PPF has taken its share of hits and aside from a few small blemishes has done its job. My paint still looks pretty much like when it was sprayed. beerchug.gif

Now I did get a great price because my brother regularly had these PPF guys at the shop at which he worked. They took good care of me and have probably done 8 of my cars.
76-914
The only thing I know of that is self healing are kernels of corn. shades.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(bbrock @ May 12 2023, 12:08 PM) *
...I wanted to add some protection to the pain of my car...

Excuse me, Dr. Freud, your slip is showing!

--DD
FlacaProductions
Anyone heard from Brent lately? I see he hasn't logged in for a month - hope all is well!!
Dion
I hope I’m not being out of line here with regards to Brent’s health…. I’m sure he will answer in due course. I have talked with him a few times via email.
I’ll just say it’s a difficult time right now. Keep him in your thoughts and send him good karma in your own way.

Cheers, Dion
FlacaProductions
I wondered - thanks Dion. I appreciate it.
Good thoughts his way.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.