Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BUILD-OFF CHALLENGE: Tygaboy's '75 LS3
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93
bbrock
Beautiful work. I just about built one of those separators as it looks like the bomb for getting dry air in a tight space, but our air is so dry here that my little Sharpe separator seems to do the trick. But I'm lacking the wall art that you have now. beerchug.gif
Cracker
You constantly amaze me...keep up the good work. Don't forget to plan a dropped floor either... poke.gif

T
tygaboy
There. I think that'll do it.

Thanks for your patience while I work through my OCD tendencies and finish the air system. Last steps are to run the lines around the shop (all the outlets are in place and ready) and test the system for leaks.

For those who may be curious, the main shut off is on the compressor tank. Note the brass disconnects that allow for the water trap to be removed as a separate assembly or be by-passed, if need be.

Soon, it's back to the 914!
Andyrew
Wowzers!! Killer setup!
restore2seater
So can you give us a run down on the 5-stage air filter/dryer system that connects after the uhmmm pipe organ, trombone ..... plumbing?
tygaboy
QUOTE(restore2seater @ Mar 1 2019, 05:00 PM) *

So can you give us a run down on the 5-stage air filter/dryer system that connects after the uhmmm pipe organ, trombone ..... plumbing?

@restore2seater - sure:

The 5-stage is:
• First Stage: 5 micron particulate filter removes water in liquid form as well as dirt, debris and pipe scale
• Second Stage: .01 micron oil removing filter removes oil aerosols and microscopic particles
• Third Stage: Desiccant dryer absorbs water vapor from the air, producing a -30˚F dew point
• Fourth Stage: 3 micron absolute filter filtrates desiccant dust
• Fifth Stage: Precision regulator reduces pressure to required level

And after this, the air line that feeds the plasma table gets another filtering with the assembly pictured. It's a mini version of the same thing. Plus, there's a swirly pot water trap built into the plasma cutter itself.

The plasma table's cut quality and consumables life are greatly impacted by air quality: dry/clean = better. And I'm obsessed, let's not forget that.
tygaboy
Brand new engine delivered today: Hyundai D4BF IDI (indirect injection 4 cyl turbo diesel)!
Smaller and lighter than the LS3. A bit less power, too, but way better fuel economy.
dan10101
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Mar 5 2019, 07:21 AM) *

A bit less power.

Yea, Less than a 1.7...
Step away from the beer drunk.gif and the youtube channel. It's not all good...

Now, drop that in an MG and you'll have something. happy11.gif
Krieger
Chris, what are you up to now? Control of the entire free world?
Rand
Obviously not going into the 914. So what are you doing now? tongue.gif
KELTY360
You're giving procrastinators and slackers everywhere a bad name. mad.gif
Andyrew
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Mar 5 2019, 12:37 PM) *

You're giving procrastinators and slackers everywhere a bad name. mad.gif

agree.gif
914forme
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Mar 5 2019, 10:21 AM) *

Brand new engine delivered today: Hyundai D4BF IDI (indirect injection 4 cyl turbo diesel)!
Smaller and lighter than the LS3. A bit less power, too, but way better fuel economy.

All right, so what is that going into?
tygaboy
OK, OK, I'm not putting a 90hp diesel in the 914. It's a replacement for a buddy's Mitsubishi Delica 4WD van. We're doing the swap in a month or so.

But for now, let's get the flares on.
Andyrew
popcorn[1].gif
Krieger
piratenanner.gif OMG!
dan10101
Awesome!

But, is that fender done? or are you going to remake it... Maybe in titanium... shades.gif
tygaboy
QUOTE(dan10101 @ Mar 14 2019, 10:49 PM) *

Awesome!

But, is that fender done? or are you going to remake it... Maybe in titanium... shades.gif

Not Ti, but I did try to order some transparent aluminum. They said it was back-ordered. shades.gif

Looks like I'm stuck with the steel versions I have...
tygaboy
One down(ish), three to go!
dan10101
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Mar 15 2019, 12:29 PM) *

Awesome!

Not Ti, but I did try to order some transparent aluminum. They said it was back-ordered. shades.gif

I was sure you made that up, but no. Sigh

I'll save this for later. bs.gif
jd74914
QUOTE(dan10101 @ Mar 15 2019, 03:36 PM) *

av-943.gif

What perfect timing...I've been waiting back for a quote on ALON-my coworkers just looked at me because I laughed out loud reading this.

Flare looks good!
tygaboy
That's the fronts tacked on.
tygaboy
And now, a couple artsy-fartsy shots.
tygaboy
QUOTE(dan10101 @ Mar 15 2019, 01:36 PM) *

Awesome!

Credit where credit is due. Check 3:36 here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaVgRj2e5_s
dan10101
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Mar 16 2019, 05:53 AM) *

QUOTE(dan10101 @ Mar 15 2019, 01:36 PM) *

Awesome!

Credit where credit is due. Check 3:36 here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaVgRj2e5_s

Ahh, so soon we forget.. (or at least me)
We'll just call ya Scotty, Aye.
tygaboy
Today I got the driver's rear tacked on. Having worked on the car all this time in narrow body format, it's amazing what the flares do to the vibe of the car.

It's like its voice suddenly dropped an octave.

I'm digging the new "tough guy" look.
tygaboy
I aligned the flare opening with the stock fender openings but it's funny how where you stand when you take the pics makes the flares look too far forward or back.

Here's one where I stood dead center to the rear wheel opening.
bbrock
Looking good! cheer.gif That last pic really shows the importance of choosing wheels and tires that properly fill that space.
tygaboy
QUOTE(bbrock @ Mar 17 2019, 03:39 PM) *

Looking good! cheer.gif That last pic really shows the importance of choosing wheels and tires that properly fill that space.

Thanks Brent! Yep, stockers don't do much for the "bad-ass" GT look, do they? icon8.gif
dan10101
You're on a roll!

Quick, Paint it!

Click to view attachment
mb911
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Mar 17 2019, 02:30 PM) *

I aligned the flare opening with the stock fender openings but it's funny how where you stand when you take the pics makes the flares look too far forward or back.

@tygaboy did you notice that the flares only really fit on one way? Once you figure the height of the arch per George @AA's instructions it's pretty straight forward.
bbrock
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Mar 17 2019, 04:52 PM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Mar 17 2019, 03:39 PM) *

Thanks Brent! Yep, stockers don't do much for the "bad-ass" GT look, do they? icon8.gif

That looks ridiculous. You should run it like that. aktion035.gif
tygaboy
QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 17 2019, 04:54 PM) *

@tygaboy did you notice that the flares only really fit on one way? Once you figure the height of the arch per George @AA's instructions it's pretty straight forward.

True-ish, but there was more front/back movement than I would have expected. Maybe I'm just paranoid. laugh.gif
Dion
The way the stance is now and those rims it looks like it’s ready for the
Baja or Monte Carlo Rallye. idea.gif
Nice to see the progress again Chris.
tygaboy
QUOTE(dan10101 @ Mar 17 2019, 04:07 PM) *

You're on a roll!

Quick, Paint it!

Click to view attachment

Oh man, I wish! It's gonna look killer when it's all one color... A ways off, I'm afraid.
johnod
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Feb 27 2019, 07:32 PM) *

No, I haven't given up on my build. I've been focused on learning the new plasma table (which is already generating revenue!), shop organization and completing a couple customer projects.
I decided to go all in on my air system so I built a "compressor shed" on the back of my shop to free up more space inside. Next, I started plumbing in a RapidAir line system.
As part of that, I made up this water separator. Air comes into it right off the compressor and the vertical runs help force the water to condense and each set of legs has a drain valve.
The end of the 45 degree run will plumb in to a 5-stage air filter/dryer set up. I run another 4-stage filter dryer just before it heads into the plasma system.
In all, I should have PERFECTLY clean and dry air throughout the shop and super duper awesome air for the plasma table.
Now to patch up the sheet rock and get things painted...

How long are those verticals? Ballpark, I believe I'm going to borrow this idea.
Krieger
Looking good Chris! Another mile stone.
mb911
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Mar 17 2019, 04:39 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 17 2019, 04:54 PM) *

True-ish, but there was more front/back movement than I would have expected. Maybe I'm just paranoid. laugh.gif

I think your paranoid..;)They don't move much.. At least the ones I have didn't and the wheel opening is perfect.
tygaboy
QUOTE(johnod @ Mar 17 2019, 06:33 PM) *

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Feb 27 2019, 07:32 PM) *

As part of that, I made up this water separator. Air comes into it right off the compressor and the vertical runs help force the water to condense and each set of legs has a drain valve.

How long are those verticals? Ballpark, I believe I'm going to borrow this idea.

@johnod : I just used the longest length that was in stock at the home supply store. If I recall, they are 60".
mb911
The water separator looks great.. I might try that as well.. It's a good idea.
tygaboy
With all 4 flares tacked on, I can't possibly be the first but I just had to:

I like big butts!
tygaboy
Last one on. Now the tedious task of welding and finishing those joints and adjusting the lower ends to match up w/the original shape of the lower panels.
Dion
“Tranquility base here...

The flares have landed! piratenanner.gif

Looking good. beerchug.gif
mb911
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Mar 18 2019, 02:53 PM) *

Last one on. Now the tedious task of welding and finishing those joints and adjusting the lower ends to match up w/the original shape of the lower panels.

@tygaboy did you decide to TIG weld them?? I have done them 2 different ways and actually on my car some are TIG and some are MIG.
tygaboy
QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 18 2019, 06:24 PM) *

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Mar 18 2019, 02:53 PM) *

@tygaboy did you decide to TIG weld them?? I have done them 2 different ways and actually on my car some are TIG and some are MIG.

@mb911 Hi Ben - Yes, the plan is to TIG the rest of the way. I used MIG for the tacks as that seemed the most expeditious way to get them on the car.
mb911
Sounds good.. Reshaping the bottom is fun..good progress..
Andyrew
That's.... Gonna take a long time to tig.....

Great practice though!

Looking great!!!!
defianty
Great stuff, flares really change the attitude of the car.

Nice progress.
tygaboy
QUOTE(Dion @ Mar 17 2019, 05:48 PM) *

The way the stance is now and those rims it looks like it’s ready for the
Baja or Monte Carlo Rallye. idea.gif
Nice to see the progress again Chris.

@Dion - Without the rockers, and at that photo angle, it does look high, but actually, the rear is about at ride height. The front will come down a bit.
As it sits right there, I measure just about 5" ground clearance under the lowest parts of the drive train.
tygaboy
Time to do some of the boring but necessary stuff. Today was starting the repair on the rust caused by the dreaded "foam in the rear fender".
In my case, both the inner panel that makes up part of the trunk and the outer needed repair.
Lots and lots of figuring out where to splice in the repairs, lots of "test fit, tweak, test fit again.
I got what looks to be a good fit on the inner panel and here it is temporarily tacked in place.
Yes, the outer panel/trunk gutter is proud to the inside of this inner piece. Looks odd at this point but it's in the correct location.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.