Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BUILD-OFF CHALLENGE: Tygaboy's '75 LS3
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93
Cairo94507
Very clean (of course) and nicely done. I love the cover for the electronics in front of the seat. beerchug.gif
Andyrew
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jul 31 2021, 04:32 PM) *

Got started on an initial version of the ECU cover. The holes will be drilled, knock out punched to the appropriate size then given the dimple die treatment.

I was going to ramp down the sides but now that I've seen it in place, I think I'll make it the full width of the floor and install a hinge along the front edge for access. Yes, that means the seat has to come out to get to the ECU but that's OK with me.

And imagine that - it's going to take me a couple versions before I get something I like... laugh.gif

Why not make it bolt up from the front so you dont have to remove the seat to remove the panel? idea.gif
JRust
I like the location of the ECU & the oval pass throughs. Well though out & executed as always. Nice work bro aktion035.gif
Curbandgutter
Those ovals........ pray.gif pray.gif Ya couldn't just done a circle huh poke.gif poke.gif Your craftmanship is over the top. There is art in everything that you're doing. Love it man. first.gif
AZBanks
What about adding an flange/lip to the floor to hold the front of the cover. Slide the front of the cover under the flange and bolt down the back. Something like this.

Click to view attachment
tygaboy
More non-914 related things on the build:

I've been binging the HP Academy wiring courses and happily admit I've been seduced by the dark side of the (wiring) force! Armed with nothing new other than excitement and the firm belief I can do a MUCH better job, I decided to go all in on and re-wire my entire car.

Out with the fuses and relays and in with an ECU Master PMU. aktion035.gif I have a friend who's a MoTec dealer and he agreed the ECU Master product was a better fit for my purposes than the equivalent MoTec product.

What pushed me over the edge was that, among other things, I can use the PMU to essentially replicate what I was doing with the Arduino. The programmability of these things is impressive.

All that said, there are supply issues with many of the connectors I'm planning to use so the 914 will be back burnered for a bit. In the meantime, I'll be installing the 'Vette suspension in RacerBenz. Check the GrassRoots Motorsports build thread for details, if you're interested.
tygaboy
May as well go all-in on the non-914 stuff and bore you to death. On the other hand, this is a great post for fellow tool whores!
If you know what this tool is, you'll know what's going on with the new wiring harness.

OK, OK... It's a specialty crimping tool for the Autosports connectors I'm planning to use for virtually all connectors in the car.

So yes, I'm going to take a swing at building a concentrically twisted harness, example of what I'm after in the other pic. Exciting, scary and challenging at the same time. My kind of project!

This won't be cheap. It'll take a lot of time. It's entirely unnecessary for my car...

Why would I do this?
I've asked myself that question about a lot of the stuff on this build. For whatever reason, as I enter my mid-60s, I've become almost obsessed with wanting to learn new things and try to build my skill set. Let's see how this goes.
djway
Looks like the Candy Man paid a visit smile.gif
Dion
The realm of F1 and LeMans prototypes. Take us there Chris! Will the Benz monster get
these electrical wizardry components as well? So very cool.
Cairo94507
Amazing. That wiring looks like it should be exposed throughout the car it is going to be so very pretty. beerchug.gif
jd74914
Fancy! An AF8 and turret too! drooley.gif I've always made due with an adjustable positioner at home; the turret is a really nice upgrade-makes everything faster.

Using AS or MIL-DTL-26482[-type] connectors?

Assuming you've drooled over the RBR Racing page:
https://rbracing-rsr.com/wiring_ecu.html

I haven't seen the HPA wiring videos, but do they go over shrink tube wire labels and then covering them with clear shrink tube?

The PMU16 looks like a really cool unit. Those guys are so new to the market (relatively), but have really shook it up, particular on the PDM side. Looking forward to seeing you implement it and some real world reviews. I think you're MoTeC contact is right to recommending ECUMaster. The PDM15/etc. doesn't seem to get you many more features if any. Now if you had an M1 ECU, or something like an S8/PDU3X or something maybe that would be different. But really not super beneficial for a street car either.
AZBanks
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Aug 16 2021, 08:46 AM) *

Fancy! An AF8 and turret too! drooley.gif I've always made due with an adjustable positioner at home; the turret is a really nice upgrade-makes everything faster.

I haven't seen the HPA wiring videos, but do they go over shrink tube wire labels and then covering them with clear shrink tube?

The PMU16 looks like a really cool unit. Those guys are so new to the market (relatively), but have really shook it up, particular on the PDM side. Looking forward to seeing you implement it and some real world reviews. I think you're MoTeC contact is right to recommending ECUMaster. The PDM15/etc. doesn't seem to get you many more features if any. Now if you had an M1 ECU, or something like an S8/PDU3X or something maybe that would be different. But really not super beneficial for a street car either.

They update that RBR Racing page. It is about 3 times as long now as it was 2 years ago. Great Information.
tygaboy
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Aug 16 2021, 08:46 AM) *

@jd74914 Yep, the HPA videos are SOOOO good. The cover each/every step of the process. Both a "modified street/track day" car and a full on motorsport harness. The start with theory, then show a bench example of the particular process, then use all of the processes on an actual start-to-finish example.
I can't say enough about how much value I've gotten from the courses.
And on the connectors, it's looking like it'll be a mix of AS and milspec. I haven't purchased them yet so still some TBD.
I'll post up all the details as I get going on the harness build.
jd74914
That’s awesome! Seems like the HPA crew does a really good job delivering a lot of value and demistifying the whole process. Are most of those videos with Zac Perston?

Looking forward to some details! As someone who is just too busy at the moment to do any car stuff, it’s nice to live vicariously haha smile.gif
tygaboy
An LS is here, as you know.
A Cayman PDK is here. You can see it right there.

Today's news is that an LS-to-Cayman PDK adapter showed up. How it knew the other components were here, I have NO idea. happy11.gif

There's a ton of work between what you see here and a car that can be made to operate utilizing these components. The TCU (trans control unit) I need to use is "getting there", in terms of real world readiness. So, this subproject is staying on the back burner, at least for a little while. But it's nice to know all the parts are here. And man, are they beautiful! wub.gif

On a bit different note, look at how wide the PDK axle flanges are! I'm a bit concerned about axle length and CV angles, at least in a 914 running stock trailing arms. We'll see...
tygaboy
The other parts of the adapter kit. The PDK clutches stay attached to the trans. The plate you see here is the flywheel. A bit funny looking with no bolt holes other than for the coupler flange. An LS flex plate gets put in there, too, so there'll be a ring gear for the starter.
tygaboy
Sorta like this, but with that flywheel and an LS3 attached to it.
Andyrew
Yeowzers! Whats the flange to flange dimension on those axles?

Your using 930 CV's right? If not you might have to simply for angle...

This is going to be nuts in that car... smile.gif
tygaboy
Finally, some actual 914 content! Wait. Actually, no.

This is a BMW 2002 mirror. Sorry, I gotta get better at this. laugh.gif

For those of you interested, this is a super cool update. You do have to carefully drill and countersink for the mounting screws and cut/grind a small bump on the mirror's mounting surface. That's all pretty easily done. And once it is?

No more "mirror stuck (or not!) on the windshield". I haven't yet drilled this for the visor mounts because I think I'm going to run a largish shade band instead. What you see on there now is Gorilla tape, because Tygaboy. Hey, it let's me quickly test how big a band I want, what works while still allowing me to see traffic lights, etc.

And on an unrelated and happy note:
As some may know, I'm on a twice yearly, full body skin cancer screening program. This morning was my 4th in a row "all clear" result. This long with no new issues means I now move to once-a-year checks. Yea for me! And fuck cancer.
Remember your sunscreen, people.
tygaboy
And right back to non-914 stuff! Again, not ITBs but still pretty cool looking. The Holley EFI systems are speed density systems so I don't need the traditional MAF sensor ahead of the throttle body. With a MAF sensor, I'd need some amount of intake tube between the air cleaner and throttle body. Not with the Holley stuff. I can just do this!

Yes, this is essentially the exact opposite of a cold air intake set up but it gets me running again. I have a couple ideas for isolating the air cleaner from heat. @Retroracer Tony, you know what I'm talking about...! happy11.gif
tygaboy
Speaking of air cleaner ideas, I have no issues with an "imitation is the sincerest from of flattery" approach and I stumbled onto the Factory Five GTM intake set ups. I think I can leverage some of these ideas and still keep the current headers. If not? I've always wanted to build my own headers...

How about like that top picture with the intakes being fed by vent's in the fenders? Like @OptimusGlen Glen's rendered versions? drooley.gif
djway
A built in MAF is another reason Im looking at the Holley. Ive been watching a ton of videos about the system.
I think this will feed my cold air
Click to view attachment
willieg
Chris: Congratulations on the results of your cancer screening program. Stay diligent and…..yeah, fuck cancer.
Cairo94507
Hey Chris- Congratulations buddy. Skin cancer is pretty serious. Just yesterday I scheduled my yearly screening. I am sure however you get cold air into that motor it will be cool (see what I did?). I love Glen's rendering-that car is stunning. beerchug.gif
Andyrew
Congrats Chris on the cancer clearing!!!

I like the mirror solution, Have it in mine as I had a new window put in and didnt want to stick anything to it. So much cleaner.
Krieger
That's great news on your screening!
willieg
Chris. What model BMW did the mirror come from?
tygaboy
QUOTE(willieg @ Aug 26 2021, 11:18 AM) *

Chris. What model BMW did the mirror come from?

@willieg - It's from a BMW 1600/2002. There are usually a few to chose from on ebay.
Morph914
Cheers to your health beerchug.gif Keep up the good work! Always watching for the next thing sawzall-smiley.gif

John
tygaboy
Thanks for all the nice thoughts on my cancer screening status. I really appreciate it.

POTENTIAL GORY PIC ALERT!!!

On the other hand (literally! lol-2.gif ), you all forgot to wish me well on not being injured!

This was RacerBenz related. As I was working away on it, one of the "in-place but not yet tacked in" roll cage tubes fell out of position and the wonderfully mitered (read "sharp") end landed smack on my hand.

The fun part was when I moved my fingers, all of which thankfully still work, I could see one of the tendons moving back and forth. That's when I decided I should sit down for a a bit before heading to the ER. Virtually no blood but man did I get light headed. In the end, it was a quick stitch job and I was back in the shop this afternoon.

Anyway, another reminder that we need to do all we can to be safety minded. So you all be careful out there in your shops!
Cairo94507
Chicks love scars..... Dude, really, you got to wear gloves. You need both of your hands for at least another 50 years.
Andyrew
Ouch!!!! Glad it wasnt worse!
BuddyV
For the record, Chris is ALWAYS wearing gloves. I once saw him eat a burrito with gloves.

..... ok, maybe not..... but he is always wearing gloves.

Me on the other had?? Not so much.
Dion
Damn Chris! Ouch! What’s that 5 there? Heal quickly. Congrats on the skin ca. I go yearly myself. All in the scalp. Can’t add much to the air intakes but yeah fed in from the forward edge of the rear flares is cool. I’m partial to some roof type scoop like the Porsche GT1.Bimmer mirror looks brilliant.
beerchug.gif
tygaboy
The PMU is here! It's tiny and it's light. It's amazing that this little thing replaces all the fuses and all but a couple of the relays. And the programmability is really cool. I mentioned that with a few settings, it replaces the Arduino and all those relays.

From the wireless steering wheel panel I'll be able to control:
- running lights, high beam and low beams with a single button
- wiper low, high (plus I'm pretty sure I can program it to run intermittently, using the stock motor!) with a single button
- fresh air blower low, medium, high with a single button.

And remember, I can add switches to the Holley digital dash that can talk to the PMU...

The possibilities are nearly endless so if you need me, I'll be in the Red Barn!
Andyrew
That's a trick unit!!! The details your working on are really awesome!!
jd74914
Chris-seeing the PDM makes me feel so much better-that Arduino just wasn’t doing it with this level of build! biggrin.gif

Never seen one of ECUMaster units in person, it’s interesting seeing the scale. I didn’t realize they were so compact.
tygaboy
The past month or so I've been focused on the RacerBenz build - and it's coming right along! If you're interested:
https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/bui...d/182195/page1/

But that's on pause while I wait for some parts and noodle on a couple design issues.
So... I'm back on the 914.

@Krieger Andy stopped by a couple weeks back and as we were looking at my 914, he says, essentially, "Why don't you make a custom rear transmission mount set up? What's in there now is sorta wonky and doesn't look cohesive. You should put a cross bar about here..."
Anyway, a brief design conversation followed and after Andy left, I couldn't un-see just how wonky my trans mount is/was.

As pictured below: I have the complete Renegade LS/6-speed mounting kit, albeit with the 1.5" spacers added. And to be fair, their stuff was designed to work in a totally stock 914 chassis - and it all works very well. But given all the stuff I've done to my chassis, I can't believe it took someone else pointing out this obvious opportunity to cut up a perfectly good part and change things up! So thanks a lot Andy. It's people like you that make me a serial fabricator. happy11.gif
Let's get this mod modded, shall we?
tygaboy
The overall design is:
- run a 1.75", .095 wall tube just behind the suspension towers to serve as the main cross bar
- add four mounting bungs to the cross bar that replace the 914 chassis' transmission mounting points
- add plating to the main section of the Renegade mount that appropriately locates each side's large trans mount bolt
- weld it all together so everything fits (!)
- add bracing from the top of the shock towers to the cross bar

Start by updating the Renegade mount design. Those who've see these know they have two lower pieces that bolt on to the main mount, once it's bolted to the trans. I figured I could get the main mount on/off even if I welded on one of the lower mounts. That's what you see on the right, lower side.

You can also see the added plate (on the right side) that will serves as the location for the large trans mounting bolt. The trans mounts will sit on top of that.

The Sharpie lines show where the planned trimming has yet to be done, and of course, the always desirable style points gusset panel has been added! aktion035.gif
tygaboy
One for the tool whores: A hand-held metal router! This thing is too cool.
The Renegade mount has a bunch of holes in it. I went to town with the router and couldn't be happier with how it echoes the look of a dimple die.

Style point, baby. Style points... shades.gif
tygaboy
Here you can see the plans for eliminating more of the Renegade mount. First, the weld-in threaded bung was removed from part of the mount that had already been eliminated. It was then moved in-board in preparation for the now unneeded material to be cut off.

In all, I think I'm eliminating around 15 pounds from the rear of the car.
Krieger
sawzall-smiley.gif Cool!
djway
Thanks for the Fix Man
Cairo94507
Wow- 15 pounds is not insignificant at the rear of these cars. I am sure that new transaxle mount is going to look very cool. popcorn[1].gif beerchug.gif
jd74914
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Oct 12 2021, 07:32 PM) *

One for the tool whores: A hand-held metal router! This thing is too cool.

That is so cool!! I like to think I'm pretty aware of available tools, and then you pull something like this out. laugh.gif Where do you find these things Chris?!
tazz9924
Idk why it took me so long to read sll the way through racer benz but i finally did and you are doing something i always wanted to do! make something mid engine that wasnt. I just want to do it on a hatch back of the 80s. Now i see where you have been all this time.
mikey63
Really like the look of that crossbar with the holes!!
tygaboy
Here's a big surprise: Change of plans! laugh.gif

The initial design for the main mount was looking too bulky. So, instead of the large plate mounting area, it's gonna be like this. And yes, I'm addicted to my little metal router. It does a really nice job of stylin' up plain holes and shapes.

A bit more to go on the mount then it's on to the cross-bar.
Krieger
Wow, that is looking really good Chris!
djway
Benz Be Bangin
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.