Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BUILD-OFF CHALLENGE: Tygaboy's '75 LS3
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93
Cairo94507
@tygaboy - Of course we all knew you would take it to another level. I think that is going to look great. beerchug.gif
tygaboy
You know you're getting down to the details when it's about interior courtesy lighting!
I went with some simple LEDs that I suspect are used in campers. Just to get things working, I used some small magnets and stuck one of these on the roof of the footwell, both sides. They have a switch for door, off, on. I wired them to the factory door switches. Simple, cheap and effective.
I know, I know... it's like a luxury car now, right? av-943.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOFZpU0BBL0
markhoward
We had a rain delay on the Red Barn meetup but today @buddyv and I came by to see @tygaboy ’s ride in action. Not only was Chris gracious enough to hand the keys over to both of us, he also treated us to lunch! This is the second time I have driven Chris’ 914 with the first being just after it first got running. That experience was great but I have to say the car has come a long way in this redux. Surprisingly, it is very quiet on startup. Definitely neighbor friendly. In the cabin, it is much louder but that is with no sound deadening, carpet, no dash, etc. The drive is quite nice. Steering is precise and the ride felt smooth and balanced. Needless to say, this thing is crazy powerful! Did not matter which gear you were in as there was more power than I would know what to do with. Suppose I could figure something out if I had to.. aktion035.gif The feel of the throttle is much better with the stock intake than it was with the Borla setup. Totally controllable and not abrupt. The clutch was super short in throw and quite heavy. Chris is working through that and is hopeful that smaller master cylinder with bring it in line. The gearbox is super tight and has a fairly short throw on the gear stick. I found myself shifting slow, mainly because I was not used to it and did not want to mess anything up. Overall, it was a great day seeing the boys. Only negative was having to drive my 944s2 home as it seemed to lack power after the 914 drive. Hmmm..
tygaboy
It was too much fun having @Buddyv Robert and @markhoward Mark drive the car. Watching them, I saw myself on my first few drives, a bit tentative, thinking "what's this thing going to do when/if I...?" blink.gif
But the car really is a nice cruiser. At least until you get with the go pedal. Then things turn serious, like RIGHT NOW!

Both commented on the ridiculously stiff/short-throw clutch set up. Yes, it's a thing and it's high on the "what's next to update" list.

It was also nice to get feedback on the digital dash. At first, everyone thinks it's too small. Both Mark and Robert commented that it works out just fine.

The other upgrade I'm likely going to do is swap in an Albins ring & pinion. They offer a 15% lower ratio which would be a big help. As is, virtually everything about the gearing is too short. Great for a track/autocross set up but 3K RPM at 70 MPH isn't doing my fuel consumption any favors. Plus, I have to get the LSD installed. The R&P are backordered so I'll wait 'til I can source one then do all the trans updates.

Until then, it's:
- refining the suspension / alignment settings to make it feel the way I want. It's still a bit darty for my tastes.
- finishing up the wiring. I need to add stuff like USB charging port for the phone and a couple other little things.
- start on the interior!
Cairo94507
Man, I can't wait until the next time I go to Chris'. Hopefully my car will be back on the road next week after some minor improvements so I can take a ride up to the Red Barn. beerchug.gif
tygaboy
@Cairo94507 Michael - I was thinking it might be time to host another Red Barn Workshop / Hang Out event. I'll PM you and we can work out a time that coincides with your visit.
Cairo94507
@tygaboy - Very cool; that would be a lot of fun. beerchug.gif
tygaboy
I had a surprise visitor today. ClecoBoy stopped by the Red Barn! laugh.gif
He asked about you, @Andyrew ...
tygaboy
And now that I see things more in place, I actually think the "all flat" looks pretty good.
I can always change it later.
cali914
I like the screen valance, but the muffler will not be that visible correct?
BuddyV
OK..... I got to drive this car the other day. idea.gif

I have been following this thread and watching this car being built for YEARS now!!!!!!

So.... what's it like? .... imagine you get to meet the actor from a favorite movie that you have watched 245 times. Is it a good thing? Will your expectations be squashed?

Nope.

This thing may not have an interior, but what it lacks in comfort it makes up for in RAW FU#@ING TESTOSTERONE!!!!!!! It's like a body builder wearing a custom tuxedo.

Chris constructed this car professionally. Where most of us focus on easy things like the paint, the trim, the wheels, the small parts...... not Chris..... not yet..... Chris is the King of the Big Stuff. Custom Stuff. It takes time. It requires one to LEARN those many, many things that few people ever need to learn..... and if needed, most of us would just HOPE that we can Google a local expert willing to fit us into his/her schedule to do the special work. Chris DID the specialized work...... and now the car fires up, purrs down the road..... waits for you to be less scared - just enough to press the right foot....... then becomes a FU#@IN DRAGON!!!!!!!!! A FIRE-SCREAMING DRAGON!!!!

I love this car the way you (kind of) love your neighbor's kids after you have watched them grow up. It's 98% done, in my opinion. Before driving it I would have said it was 55% done. But that's the me that spends my time ordering parts on Pelican. Experiencing this beast first-foot makes me more patient about seeing final paint, and more interested in having the clutch adjusted to less than 225 foot pounds (ok, maybe not that bad.... but HEAVY!)..... and maybe a few interior soft parts to keep the minor rattling down to a whisper.

This is the first V8 914 I have driven, so maybe I am just having a I-just-saw-Scarlett-Johansson-for-the-first-time moment....... but I wonder how many V8 914s communicate so fluidly between the Blueprinted motor, the Boxster trans, the digital dash, the dialed in suspension, the world class electronics (you get the picture) so well. So.... umm.....more than I expected. (It's not perfect. It's also not done.)

Yes, it's powerful.... we knew it would be. But once it's in 6th gear and you are cruising...... you realize that you could drive it to Santa Barbara - where before you wondered if you would put up with a 45 minute drive around the tri county area to Cars & Coffee. The quality of the build and the spare-no-expense parts shine during a ride. It's come together exactly as Chris sometimes doubted if it could.... or would.

Great car.

Now get it painted, you fu#@ing slacker!

beerchug.gif

(Seriously, Thank you for letting me drive it. I went straight home and slapped my 914 across the 2056.)

Cairo94507
@BuddyV - Well written, entertaining summary of your drive. WCR is going to be a blast! beerchug.gif
markhoward
Damn Robert! Well said!! @buddyv
tygaboy
QUOTE(cali914 @ Mar 23 2022, 08:49 PM) *

I like the screen valance, but the muffler will not be that visible correct?

@cali914 - The bumper covers almost all of it. Only the exhaust tips and lower portion are visible once everything's in place.
tygaboy
@markhoward @buddyv Mark, Robert: Thanks for the wonderful comments. Knowing how particular you both are, I'm humbled to hear your reviews and certainly happy to hear my build has passed your tests! And thanks, as always, for your constructive criticism.

“The trouble with most of us is that we'd rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.”
– Norman Vincent Peale
tygaboy
Rear Panel Grill V1, with style points (and temporary pop rivets)
For this first go, I decided to try a panel in satin black and incorproate the standard trunk button. I have a solenoid latch that I could operate with a hidden lever and have this panel be blank in the center.
Then I noodled on it for a bit and figured that in a side view, you get the pop of door handle chrome and from the front, even with painted bumpers, there's the fog light grill chrome so from the back, maybe this dot of shiny is in keeping with that overall concept.

Plus, I can always make a "button delete" panel, if I end up wanting a naked rear. happy11.gif

But at this point, I think this looks pretty good.
roundtwo
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Mar 21 2022, 03:48 PM) *

You know you're getting down to the details when it's about interior courtesy lighting!
I went with some simple LEDs that I suspect are used in campers. Just to get things working, I used some small magnets and stuck one of these on the roof of the footwell, both sides. They have a switch for door, off, on. I wired them to the factory door switches. Simple, cheap and effective.
I know, I know... it's like a luxury car now, right? av-943.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOFZpU0BBL0

Classy!!!
Cairo94507
@tygaboy - I like the trunk release on the panel. It adds just that bit of chrome that it needs. Will you be fitting the rear lid, bumper and valance soon? beerchug.gif
tygaboy
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Mar 25 2022, 05:51 AM) *

@tygaboy - I like the trunk release on the panel. It adds just that bit of chrome that it needs. Will you be fitting the rear lid, bumper and valance soon? beerchug.gif

@Cairo94507 - Michael, The rear bumper is expected back from chrome pretty soon. I may look for another bumper to paint, too. The rear lid is set on there now, but I need to work out the air box. I don't think I want to use the rear panel for air intake after all.
No plans to run a rear valance at this point.
But I will say, just putting on a crap looking trunk lid makes a huge difference. Once the bumper is there, I think it'll come together nicely.
Cairo94507
@tygaboy - You are absolutely right - a rear lid makes a huge difference. Looking forward to seeing it with the rear bumper too. But I would suggest just holding a short rear valance up under the bumper and taking a look... bye1.gif
tygaboy
And a nice chrome bumper borrowed from @markhoward Mark completes the look. Well, OK, those Carl Rudolph fiberglass bumper tops REALLY complete it! @Vitamin914 , here're some pics for you.
@cali914 - This is how much of the muffler will be visible, unless @Cairo94507 Michael talks me into running some sort of valance.

Anyway, I'm liking how this rear end look is coming together.
tygaboy
A few more. Man, oh man, those bumper tops are NICE!! And this is how they are delivered. All I did was bolt them on. No muss, no fuss, no adjusting them to get them to fit nicely. A true "bolt on". I couldn't be happier with them.
Cairo94507
@tygaboy - Chris I am really liking the look. I still think a valance would complete the look- but that's just me. Cheers buddy. beerchug.gif
tygaboy
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Mar 26 2022, 06:45 PM) *

@tygaboy - Chris I am really liking the look. I still think a valance would complete the look- but that's just me. Cheers buddy. beerchug.gif

@Cairo94507 - Well Michael, you got in my head so I whipped up an MS Paint version of a valance. IMO, it adds a look of sophistication. From "jeans and a t-shirt" to "business casual". I think I like it!
And easy enough to remove if I want to "dress down" on the weekends! biggrin.gif
nivekdodge
Stupid Idea #346
When you paint... A set of Rally stripe to match the vents with the mesh pattern in them? my .02 great car following along
Kevin
Shivers
Forgive me. Couldn't help myself. A valance would look very nice.

Click to view attachment
tygaboy
QUOTE(Shivers @ Mar 27 2022, 08:22 AM) *

Forgive me. Couldn't help myself. A valance would look very nice.

Click to view attachment

Oh boy. Here we go again...

@RetroRacer Tony, would you please schedule another meeting of the 914 World Design Committee? poke.gif stirthepot.gif shades.gif
Cairo94507
Normally I do not like 4 pipes out the back of a 914 (not a fan of the Monza exhaust- sorry) but if there ever was a car that justified 4 pipes like photoshopped here, this is it. That does look very cool- but I also liked the way Chris did the 2 pipes out the rear and so did my brother. grouphug.gif
tygaboy
All joking aside, let me point out that with the current exhaust system and muffler set up, there's no practical way to have that quad exhaust. No, I'm not interested in doing another version of the exhaust.

Well, at least not right now... happy11.gif
Cairo94507
lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif OK....
Shivers
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Mar 27 2022, 09:14 AM) *

Normally I do not like 4 pipes out the back of a 914 (not a fan of the Monza exhaust- sorry) but if there ever was a car that justified 4 pipes like photoshopped here, this is it. That does look very cool- but I also liked the way Chris did the 2 pipes out the rear and so did my brother. grouphug.gif

Yeah, darn pesky monza's. rolleyes.gif

Click to view attachment

Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Mar 20 2022, 04:56 PM) *

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Mar 19 2022, 03:02 PM) *

With the car back in action and running really well (!), it's time to make progress in some other areas. I picked up that cool air dam with the wide cooler opening and today was getting an idea of if I'll like the look of what I'd planned for the mirror image cut out in the front bumper. That glamour pic is my the photochop inspiration and others are the initial result on a junk front bumper.
The bumper opening will get a return all the way around the cut-out, just like the air dam has and the car's nose will be painted black so the area behind the opening will disappear.
I think I like it!
BTW. the air dam is just sitting on blocks/spacers so give me no crap for how things line up.

Anyone have a nice front bumper they don't need? poke.gif

Loving that rear mesh, Chris!

And too funny about that air dam. I wonder if it's the one I sold years ago after not getting around to mounting it. I didn't want to cut it up to match a narrow car. I believe I got it from a friend, who bought it for his 914-6 with GT flares from Peter Stacy at Kinesis after falling in love with the front spoiler on his dark blue car with red wheels. No wonder the car and its spoiler looked so good—Peter was an Art Center grad.

https://www.iwsti.com/threads/my-1970-914-6.89073/

I remember the one I had being a high-quality part, even in the flat black it came in. I don't think very many were made, and not sure if Peter still has the mold—but it would be cool to see these re-popped.

From Monterey Historics 1998, yes that Kinesis 914 was HOT & checked all the boxes ! Was Peter associated with Philipe D'lispene / Etoile wheels at one time ?¿ @horizontally-opposed
Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Love wub.gif that car! beerchug.gif
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Mar 27 2022, 01:29 PM) *

From Monterey Historics 1998, yes that Kinesis 914 was HOT & checked all the boxes ! Was Peter associated with Philipe D'lispene / Etoile wheels at one time ?¿ @horizontally-opposed
Click to view attachment

Nice pic, Marty—really captures just how good that car looked in that booth. Was brave to put a 914 in his booth, as I think most of his customers were 911, 964, 993, etc owners.

I'm not sure on the above. I think he bought out another wheel company, and maybe it was Etoile? Wonder where that dark blue 914 is now…
vitamin914
Nice rear end ! KMA.gif

Here is mine... The PO deleted the chrome and went with a blended look. I like the original but I don't mind the mod either.

Front end still has the chrome and I'm waiting for delivery of the Carl Rudolph front bumper top to make it body color and extend the race stripes.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Mar 26 2022, 03:46 PM) *

And a nice chrome bumper borrowed from @markhoward Mark completes the look. Well, OK, those Carl Rudolph fiberglass bumper tops REALLY complete it! @Vitamin914 , here're some pics for you.
@cali914 - This is how much of the muffler will be visible, unless @Cairo94507 Michael talks me into running some sort of valance.

Anyway, I'm liking how this rear end look is coming together.

Superhawk996
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Mar 1 2022, 09:18 PM) *

See, even though this build gets into a ton of stuff that you don't care about, occasionally, I pull out something that makes it worth following what I'm up to! shades.gif
From a 2004 360 Modena. 400 hp @ 8500. Yes, there's matching 6-speed transaxle, ECUs, wiring harnesses, etc., etc. Essentially everything needed to make it run. It's got only 5K miles on it. drooley.gif

I don't know how I missed this post about the Ferrari engine.

Click to view attachment

I've never been shy about saying the only proper engine swap for a 914 is air cooled.

Everyone deserves one deviation. If you do the Ferrari engine, I won't even count that as a deviation. lol-2.gif shades.gif

tygaboy
I'm headed to the EASY cars & coffee this Saturday and it's quite interesting how motivating I find it to think others may be looking at my car. Time to tidy up a few things! laugh.gif

Let's start with a "first": This is the first time I've fully installed the console cover! What a difference it makes to how the interior looks. Note there are only a handful of temporary rivets in place. I still need to fit a couple things before fully panel bonding and installing the structural rivets.

But I'm really happy with how this turned out.
Dion
That console area looks fantastic. Mmmm like the Tilton pedal system. So cool Chris.
Enjoy the EASY get together. Your going to get a lot of questions & attention! beerchug.gif
tygaboy
Out and about, running errands in my daily driver. Get in, start, drive, park, repeat.
It's turning out to be a regular ol' car - so long as you stay out of the go pedal.

But let's talk about "inflation": That car next to me claims to be a "Mini"... HA! shades.gif
tygaboy
Now that I'm driving it a fair bit, I'm prioritizing improvement of the driving experience. It's been a bit of a rattle trap, all the interior wiring and electronics are exposed, etc. And most importantly, after having a few passengers, as well and having been one, all that exposed stuff is at risk of being bumped or kicked. So after errands, it was back home to work on that.
A bit of CAD and a few versions later (what, you think I don't still do that? laugh.gif ) I have a ventilated "upper" guard. Ventilated because the PMU maxes out at 150 amps and needs air circulation.

I had a bit of the engine grill left over from the rear panel work and figured I give it a go.

Triple bonus style points for that rectangular cut out that creates a perfect window to see the status lights on the PMU. sunglasses.gif

I may remove the screen in that viewing area but figured I'd leave it in place for this version. It's not like I'm looking in there much. OK, ever.

And yes, I still have a bit of routing left to work out as well as all the sheathing to do.

Next step: Add an angled panel for the passenger foot rest/"lower"guard.
Andyrew
Love the convenience changes!! Finishing touches are just lovely!
roundtwo
Holy smokes- I go away for a week and you’ve gone full bumper and rear trunk lid plus a couple dozen other custom fabs. It’s even looking 914ish again. Well done.
tygaboy
A buddy calls and says, "Your car is in Grassroots Motorsports". I say, "Right, I'm posting the build there..."
"No" he says, "I mean in the magazine."
Must have been a slow news month but I'll take it! RacerBenz and I got a call out in this month's issue...
I'm getting the feeling I know where the work "PRESSure" comes from! av-943.gif
tygaboy
Back to 914-related stuff: Today, Robert @buddyv , Mike @Mikey63 and Mark @markhoward headed over to the monthly gathering at EASY in Emeryville. Almost unbelievably, Robert said he wanted to ride with me. Heck, I didn't even sleep well, thinking about the drive, I mean, we had to cross a 5.5 mile long bridge! TWICE! This was the litmus test drive for me: farthest distance, starting in the dark, weekend traffic.
wacko.gif
I'm SOOOO pleased to report that the car performed flawlessly! Outside air temp was in the mid 40s when we left. The seat heaters again proved themselves and I actually ended up turning mine from Hi to Low. Not to say that my wife would have loved it but considering I have no carpet, a totally naked targa roof, no targa-to-window seals and only an 18 ga sheet metal panel between the engine and interior, it really wasn't bad.
Robert and I chatted the whole way and, well, it works!
The car attracted a fair bit of attention with the expected range of reactions:
Walk right by with barely a glance to wanting a full rundown of all the mods. Mostly it was "I bet this thing goes pretty good." You, Sir, are correct! shades.gif

In summary, it was the best of days. Hanging with my good buddies doing car stuff and home in time for lunch with my wife. I'm one lucky guy.
Cairo94507
@tygaboy - Kudos to you Chris. What an excellent day in your 914 with the drive to EASY and with Robert riding shotgun. Also, getting published with the Benz is so very cool- you deserve all of the praise and it really speaks well of your fabrication skills. I can tell WCR is going to be a great drive and trip. beerchug.gif
Andyrew
Awesome!! Magazine coverage AND a great drive!!!
tygaboy
So I have about 1000 miles on this thing and am getting a feel for usability.
One thing that really stands out is that it needs taller gears. While the stock Boxster gearing is great for spirited back road driving, at 70 mph it's spinning about 3000 RPM. Way too busy when I'm on the freeway. So... (and I'm sure this will be a big surprise) I'm going all in on my transmission mods: I ordered an Albins 3.0 ring & pinion.
This will be installed at the same time the LSD goes in and should make a world of difference in both comfort and fuel economy. Yes, I do care about that, too.
tygaboy
Today's Out & About was a lunch date with my lovely wife! She said the seats were really comfy so I'm taking that as a win.
As we were backing out of this parking spot, she looked UNDER the truck to check for traffic.
I'll overstate the obvious and say:

"You really want to be careful when you're driving these little cars!"
tygaboy
The Albins ring & pinion arrived one day after being ordered and is now being shipped out for cryo and REM Superfinish treatment. OOOOOOH! Shiny.... Obviously not a ring & pinion but this is the result of the work. wub.gif
There are proven benefits to this and if you really want to geek out, here's a link to the place that's doing the work. There are a bunch of papers on all sorts of interesting stuff related to these processes.
My primary reasons for doing it are that it all but eliminates the run-in period and associated risks and is proven to measurably reduce parasitic losses in the trans, improving both RWP and coast down numbers.

Worth it? Overkill? Stupid? I'll let you know! laugh.gif

https://www.cryogenicsuperfinish.com/processes/

The trans is then headed to CMS in AZ where this ring & pinion and an LSD will be installed. The trans will also receive a general going over and whatever needs refreshing will get it.
Dion
Congrats on the magazine article! beerchug.gif

That cryo process is certainly state of the art. Amazing tech.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.