Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BUILD-OFF CHALLENGE: Tygaboy's '75 LS3
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93
tygaboy
Fail aside, this is the latest vent design and here you can see the "graduated" vanes going higher to lower as they move rearward.
Rand
Listening. Not to your engraver.
mikey63
I like how it mimics the fender top...high at the front fading out as it goes back.
AZBanks
You should combine the angled vanes with the graduated vane height.

It would be the ( R)and, (A)zBanks, ( C)racker, 914form(e) design or just RACe design for short. piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

stirthepot.gif
tygaboy
QUOTE(AZBanks @ Dec 10 2020, 03:24 PM) *

It would be the ( R)and, (A)zBanks, ( C)racker, 914form(e) design or just RACe design for short. piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

stirthepot.gif

@AZBanks RACe! I like it! But here's the bad news on the angled vanes:
No matter which screening I use under them, it's impossible to have the screen pattern align with each vane. I test fitted the material I want to use and it looks like crap.

If it's angled vanes, it's no screen. And I really like the screen.

I'll post a pic of it but I suspect I can't live with it. Oh, I know! I could commission a custom, varying angle pattern screen... shades.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Dec 10 2020, 04:35 PM) *

Oh, I know! I could commission a custom, varying angle pattern screen... shades.gif

Or you could install lights that project a holographic hula girl dancing over each grill. Nobody will notice the screens. idea.gif
Rand
OMG. the can too far open. Sorry Chris.

I think enough is enough from our gallery... Once it's out, it's this.

You got this.

Cracker
Well, I rarely occupy anything but first and certainly wouldn't finish third to Rand in anything automotive. I'm swapping orders...congrats on bronze, Rand. rolleyes.gif

I suggest I have offered my opinion because I CARe. biggrin.gif

Cracker

QUOTE(AZBanks @ Dec 10 2020, 07:24 PM) *

stirthepot.gif
Rand
It's sofa frusraighting Tony cracker. So vein. Vane. Vaughn. Vince? Who next? Who who? Who are you?

What I know is Chris has it in the bag.

And now for something completely the same...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyR3TzIgi-U
AZBanks
QUOTE(Cracker @ Dec 10 2020, 08:04 PM) *

Well, I rarely occupy anything but first and certainly wouldn't finish third to Rand in anything automotive. I'm swapping orders...congrats on bronze, Rand. rolleyes.gif

I suggest I have offered my opinion because I CARe. biggrin.gif

Cracker

QUOTE(AZBanks @ Dec 10 2020, 07:24 PM) *

stirthepot.gif

LOL!!!!!!!!
dan10101
I prefer the original version...
of the song......

but yeah, Chris has this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7JAkM57uIo
tygaboy
Well, that's better. Here's the before (left) and after (right) of the engraver offset adjustment. Yes, the cross is supposed to be in the middle. I won't go into what led to this (me dry.gif ) but it's all better now.

I'm still getting too much of that punch mark so if I can't eliminate it, I'll have to come up with something else or forego the branding.
Andyrew
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Dec 11 2020, 12:26 PM) *

Well, that's better. Here's the before (left) and after (right) of the engraver offset adjustment. Yes, the cross is supposed to be in the middle. I won't go into what led to this (me dry.gif ) but it's all better now.

I'm still getting too much of that punch mark so if I can't eliminate it, I'll have to come up with something else or forego the branding.

That must have been some wasted metal... and hours... sad.gif

Glad to see it resolved!
Mueller
Hey Chris, something to look into for you logo would be acid etching. Plenty of youtube videos on different processes for etching aluminum.
tygaboy
Why do I love 914 World? It's the people! I saw what a great job @jaredmcginness did on his build and was a bit jealous of his SolidWorks door panel. So I PM'd him asking if he'd share or sell me a copy of the file.
In one day, I had his "Sure you can have it" reply and today, at his earliest opportunity, I had the file.

Jared - thanks, thanks, THANKS! I owe you one - probably two! pray.gif

And with the file in hand, I stated playing with designs. I want to stamp a suitable pattern into the panel then upholster it so the pattern stands out, or in, as the case may be.

This isn't what the design will be as I need to work it so it "fits" where my door bars are. I also want to build in a bit of a cubby that'll extend into one of the existing openings in the door frame.

Anyway, it's different work from the vents - and I'm ready for a break from those, for sure!

Again, Jared, you da' man! Thanks again.
Andyrew
OOoh Metal door cards!!
jaredmcginness
That’s what the community is all about!!
Thanks for the comments. Glad that I can help pay it forward, just as so many here have done for me.

Cannot wait to see these upholstered.
tygaboy
Public Service Announcement: Think and do research first! Don't be like Tygaboy!

Let's forgo further attempts at humor and get right to it:
My car does come up to temp, the regular ol' thermostat set up works fine, I don't need to get all fancy with ECU controlled water pumps and fans - though I may choose to do that later, just 'cuz.

Turns out SpeedHut temp sensors use a different ohm range than that of GM sensors - even though they use the same f-ing wiring connectors. Totally my fault/lack of knowledge, but still...
Maybe some of you already knew about the specific gauge = specific sensor. If you did, thanks for nothing in terms of letting me know! laugh.gif

I stumbled on the following charts about 5 minutes before pulling the entire drive train and going all "high tech solution" to try and resolve my perceived issue. A quick comparo of these charts to the temp behavior I was seeing and I was sure this was it.
Today I installed the correct sensor, fired up the beast and sure enough, it's all good.
It comes up to temp, the fans kick on as expected, etc., etc. aktion035.gif
Yep, it's another case of "problem solved for $18...".

Anyway, that's a long way around to your lesson for today:
"Determine root cause to be sure you're address the issue, not treating a symptom".

The best news is that this means the vents do, in fact, work just fine! At least as far as I've pushed the car to date, which isn't much. Who wants to come along for a "stress test" drive? shades.gif

In all seriousness, maybe this lesson helps someone else avoid the same thing.
Cairo94507
Hey Chris - Glad you got that sorted. I would definitely sign-up for the stress test drive.

My brother and I were at Chris' yesterday just to chat. Chris surprised me with a WCR framed poster with his 914 silhouette mounted with it. I am going to hang it in my home office. My wife thought it was cool too. Many thanks.

We didn't take my Six as I was concerned about weather. Big mistake- the weather was good and it would have been a great drive as there was little to no traffic. Got a chance to see the hood vents in person and love Chris' current design.

Right before we left Mark and Robert showed up in Mark's car - I love it with the Fuchs..... It was great seeing them and I wish we could have hung out longer but we had more stuff to do at our homes.

The next time we take a ride to Chris' it will be in the Six.
Cheers,
Michael beerchug.gif
Superhawk996
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Dec 27 2020, 07:02 PM) *

Who wants to come along for a "stress test" drive? shades.gif

Me. Me. Pick Me. lol-2.gif Wish I were closer.
76-914
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Dec 27 2020, 04:02 PM) *

Public Service Announcement: Think and do research first! Don't be like Tygaboy!

Let's forgo further attempts at humor and get right to it:
My car does come up to temp, the regular ol' thermostat set up works fine, I don't need to get all fancy with ECU controlled water pumps and fans - though I may choose to do that later, just 'cuz.

Turns out SpeedHut temp sensors use a different ohm range than that of GM sensors - even though they use the same f-ing wiring connectors. Maybe some of you already knew this. If you did, thanks for nothing in terms of letting me know! laugh.gif

Yep, it's another case of "problem solved for $18...".

I stumbled on the following charts about 5 minutes before pulling the entire drive train and going all "high tech solution" to try and resolve my perceived issue. A quick comparo of these charts to the temp behavior I was seeing and I was sure this was it.
Today I installed the correct sensor, fired up the beast and sure enough, it's all good.
It comes up to temp, the fans kick on as expected, etc., etc. aktion035.gif

Anyway, that's a long way around to your lesson for today:
"Determine root cause to be sure you're address the issue, not treating a symptom".

The best news is that this means the vents do, in fact, work just fine! At least as far as I've pushed the car to date, which isn't much. Who wants to come along for a "stress test" drive? shades.gif

Yeah well, in my case, sometimes the "root" cause is buried too deep for my shallow mind to unearth quickly. beerchug.gif
johnod
Always wondered is there any trunk space left with a V8?
bbrock
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Dec 28 2020, 07:26 AM) *

Got a chance to see the hood vents in person and love Chris' current design.

I hope you gave him plenty of constructive criticism on them. I get the feeling Chris would really like more feedback on those than we've been able to provide. happy11.gif
tygaboy
QUOTE(johnod @ Dec 28 2020, 02:12 PM) *

@johnod - There certainly can be. I didn't care too much about that so ended up opting for a silly exhaust and chassis stiffening that pretty much eliminated the trunk. That said, I'll probably be making a removable "liner" that has its own built-in water proof storage. Just something I can toss a small duffel/weekend bag into.

If I was doing my build over again, I think I'd go with the LS but instead of ITBs, use a 4bbl fuel injection setup. With no distributor, you could retain the entire stock trunk sheet metal, be able to stow the top, etc.
Andyrew
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Dec 28 2020, 03:57 PM) *

@johnod - There certainly can be. I didn't care too much about that so ended up opting for a silly exhaust and chassis stiffening that pretty much eliminated the trunk. That said, I'll probably be making a removable "liner" that has its own built-in water proof storage. Just something I can toss a small duffel/weekend bag into.

If I was doing my build over again, I think I'd go with the LS but instead of ITBs, use a 4bbl fuel injection setup. With no distributor, you could retain the entire stock trunk sheet metal, be able to stow the top, etc.

I had TBFI from Holley on my V8 car and really liked it until the ECU crapped out. Was a fun setup that made TORQUE.
johnod
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Dec 28 2020, 06:57 PM) *

Thanks, I've never been able to tell looking a pictures of various cars.
NS914
.....The best news is that this means the vents do, in fact, work just fine! At least as far as I've pushed the car to date, which isn't much. Who wants to come along for a "stress test" drive? shades.gif

[/quote]

OMG, I wish I lived closer....would love to go for a ride in this beast!!!

thanks again for all of your work posting etc.

Regards,

Grant
Mueller
Hey Chris,

Not sure if you have seen this page below. It is from the inventor of the electromagnetic sheet metal bender.

http://aaybee.com.au/Magnabend/Magnabend_Homepage.html

tygaboy
QUOTE(Mueller @ Dec 29 2020, 09:03 PM) *

Hey Chris,
Not sure if you have seen this page below. It is from the inventor of the electromagnetic sheet metal bender.
http://aaybee.com.au/Magnabend/Magnabend_Homepage.html

@Mueller Hi Mike - Thanks! Yep, I found that video when I was researching those brakes. It does a great job of highlighting what that sort of tool can do.
tygaboy
Before: stock window winder
After: GoWesty offset window winders that were treated to some graduated hole lightness, along with a touch of countersink.

And yes, the holes were purposely milled perpendicular to the arm, not the mounting base.
The goal was to try and sorta match the seats' grommet look. Parallel to the base would have left an oval look.

I'm happy with how they turned out. Just imagine how nice they'll look with some zippy door cards!
djway
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Dec 30 2020, 01:47 PM) *

Before: stock window winder
After: GoWesty offset window winders that were treated to some graduated hole lightness, along with a touch of countersink.

And yes, they were purposely drilled perpendicular to the arm, not the mounting base.
The goal was to try and sorta match the seats' grommet look. Drilled parallel to the base would have left an oval look.

I'm happy with how they turned out. Just imagine how nice they'll look with some zippy door cards!

I love them. You have the coolest tools ⚒️
mikey63
Really like those handles...like what you did with the holes!!
Morph914
Love the window cranks Chris! I think you should make some up in your spare time to sell. First in line, just saying.
tygaboy
Happy New Year, I hope.

After better understanding the design of the X-pipe muffler I was using, I've decided to redo the exhaust before heading back to the tuner.

I'm still noodling on mounting approach and where I want the exhaust tips to exit.
I'm torn between the close together look, which I really like, vs farther apart where you could get a peek at the the cool looking muffler bracket I'm building.

No, those aren't the actual tips I'd use. Yes, I agree, they are too long. Just mocking up things.

I've also worked up a "through the body" exit that I may attempt. In this version, the mufflers don't hang below the bumper and aren't visible at all. And should I proceed with this idea, I suspect it'll will draw even more "gallery" comments than the hood vents... poke.gif
Cairo94507
Very nice. I bet it will be louder now too.
BuddyV
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jan 11 2021, 09:05 AM) *

Very nice. I bet it will be louder now too.

LOUDER!!????

Not sure that's possible.

shades.gif
AZBanks
Mufflers, we don't need no stinking mufflers!!!
horizontally-opposed
Have always loved it when you can see a bit of the transmission under the rear bumper of a mid-engined car (see 288 GTO for the gold standard), so I am voting for the split pipes. aktion035.gif
Curbandgutter
Love the door handles and the metal door backers. When you press those will you mill out the dies? I have a cnc mill on back order. If it get's here in time, maybe we can work on them together.
Curbandgutter
Chris did you ever take a look at one of those Spin Tech mufflers??
914forme
QUOTE(AZBanks @ Jan 11 2021, 05:54 PM) *

Mufflers, we don't need no stinking mufflers!!!

agree.gif

What it needs is a set of TURBOS and straight pipes!!!!!
tygaboy
I needed a fixture to help keep the mufflers positioned while I fab the mounting bracket. I figured why not have some fun while I was at it.
I may try and figure out a way to incorporate this into a rear valance. Add mesh to the openings, etc. We'll see.
djway
Only one that would make a temp holder this way smile.gif
Don't forget the diffuser.
cassmcentee
The spacing in this latest pic looks the best!
Cheers
mbseto
QUOTE(Morph914 @ Dec 30 2020, 08:47 PM) *

Love the window cranks Chris! I think you should make some up in your spare time to sell. First in line, just saying.

agree.gif
Cairo94507
I agree with @cassmcentee -the spacing on the pipes looks great. beerchug.gif
Andyrew
Love it Chris!!!
Retroracer
...but with the addition of the 5-fin cookie cutter tips.

Assistant Chairman,
Design by Committee,
914world inc.

Krieger
QUOTE(Retroracer @ Jan 15 2021, 03:02 PM) *

Assistant Chairman,
Design by Committee,
914world inc.

av-943.gif
tygaboy
QUOTE(Retroracer @ Jan 15 2021, 03:02 PM) *

...but with the addition of the 5-fin cookie cutter tips.

Assistant Chairman,
Design by Committee,
914world inc.

Oh.
My.
God.
Tony, @RetroRacer - that is hilarious. Thanks, made my day.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.