Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BUILD-OFF CHALLENGE: Tygaboy's '75 LS3
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93
preach
Congrats Chris!
Chris H.
Congrats Chris! It sounds great. Also nice work on the wiring. If you haven't been through it there is no way to describe how mind-bending it is.

PS don't you wish the Speedhut gauge needles would park themselves at "0" when powered off like stock gauges rather than freezing where they are when you turn the key off? That's my ONLY minor complaint.
tygaboy
@Chris914n6 @jd74914 Thanks for the comments. Before we get too far into things, let me say that the ECU is running the tune that it got when it was on the engine dyno with the incorrectly wired IAC connector. See the "first drive" post for details about that. And I doubt there was any time spent even trying to tune off-idle behavior.

I happily confess haven't even connected my laptop to the ECU so I don't know if it's in learn mode or not.

In terms of my approach to this: After all the "first time" work I'd done creating that engine harness, fabbing the fuel lines and water lines, etc, I just wanted to prove out that the engine would run and nothing leaked or burst into flames! wacko.gif

With that part complete, I couldn't resist the 100 yard "drive"!

Now it's on to making it "work". That means focus on the tune. Today I hope to get the software loaded and my laptop connected to the ECU. First thing is to download the currently loaded tune and see what's what.

I started this build with hardly any fabrication experience and I'm happy with how my skills progressed and the results I'm getting. Now it's time to do the same with the electrical and software stuff!

I'm sure I'll be asking for help so please keep the comments coming. Thanks much!
tygaboy
Oh, and now that it does run, many of the "what ifs" have left my head. We all know that nature abhors a vacuum so I suddenly find myself thinking about the hardest decision yet:

Which color do I paint it?

I'm a fan of blue and I'm going around on: the car's factory color (Anacona Blue Metallic), something more modern (early 2000s Subaru WRX blue) or something simple like Oslo blue.

Then there're things like Aventurine Green from the current Porsche palette. It looks GREAT with gold wheels, but so do any of the aforementioned blues...

Decisions, decisions. idea.gif Well, I have a while before I need to decide.
Nogoodwithusernames
Congratulations on the first drive! That's awesome! driving.gif

Regarding color, one of my personal favorites is gulf theme especially on a GT car. Though I may be biased since that's the combo of my Squareback and 914 colors (blue VW and orange Porsche so combined they must be even better right??) Of course you'll always be driving too fast for anyone to see what color it is anyways so who cares! poke.gif

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Sep 1 2020, 08:45 AM) *

Oh, and now that it does run, many of the "what ifs" have left my head. We all know that nature abhors a vacuum so I suddenly find myself thinking about the hardest decision yet:

I'm a fan of blue and I'm going around on: the car's factory color (Anacona Blue Metallic), something more modern (early 2000s Subaru WRX blue) or something simple like Oslo blue.

Then there're things like Aventurine Green from the current Porsche palette. It looks GREAT with gold wheels, but so do any of the aforementioned blues...

Decisions, decisions. idea.gif Well, I have a while before I need to decide.

andys
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Sep 1 2020, 06:37 AM) *

Maybe a cam lever for the throttle?

Clutch being an on/off switch is kinda normal for big power clutches.

Chris,

A throttle cam can be profiled to any number of shapes and/or engagement schemes. Slow tip-in helps an awful lot to getting throttles to make initial movement. I did notice an odd appearing linkage angle on your throttle pedal that might be a source of undesired lever ratios. I don't know, but it might be worth a look.

My clutch engagement is very much like an on-off switch as well. I played with hydraulic ratios, but it never seemed to make much difference, though I suppose it depends on how far from optimum one might be. Over-travel can damage the pressure plate, so it would be helpful to know the finger travel to dis-engage. I'm using a QuarterMaster 8 1/2" bronze/ceramic disc. It's very abrupt, and takes some choreography to get a smooth launch. Must admit, it is annoying on the street. On my next teardown, I'm going to consider switching over to a KEP clutch setup, and since I'm running a stock LS1, I will opt for a disc that has a Marcel spring to make it street friendly.

Congrats on your first drive!

Andys
AZBanks
I like the factory color on your car.
preach
That drooley.gif gold special 930 gold...
Cracker
Liquid Blue (Ford GT). Just a thought...

IPB Image
914forme
agree.gif That is the best picture I have seen of that car, camera location and shot perspective is spot on. drooley.gif

Now get sorting, you got this!
Andyrew
QUOTE(Cracker @ Sep 2 2020, 04:46 AM) *

Liquid Blue (Ford GT). Just a thought...

IPB Image

I Like that color. You could throw a tiny bit more white pearl in the paint to brighten it it up in the sun. It looks like it already has some and thats probably why I like it so much. Such a large contrast between bright and dark lighting and the full spectrum looks good.

IPB Image
tygaboy
Here's the Aventurine Green. I'd tone down the gold wheels a bit, or maybe do a more bronze color.

I talked with my painter yesterday and will be heading to his shop to talk in more detail and see some sample panels.
tygaboy
More importantly, I was able to connect with the shop that will likely be doing the EFI tuning. He viewed the start video and immediately replied with comments that led me to believe he really knows what he's doing. And I successfully connected my laptop to the ECU, downloaded the current tune and sent it to the tuner so he could start looking at things.

For sure, there are some basic things not set correctly. For example, it WILL NOT start without some application of the throttle, hence what you saw me doing. It's way over-fueling at startup. Yes, I know that's not right, but that's where things are.

I'm working with the tuner to get on calendar but not sure when that'll happen.
tygaboy
And for fun, here's my buddy's Speedster, painted by the shop I'm planning to use.
Note the consistency of the reflection as it crosses the door gap. I don't know if I'll choose to spend what it takes to get this level of result, but it's great to know the shop has the skill to do top quality work.
Cracker
An LS based efi system (including your's) should prime the fuel circuit for 5-8 seconds with ignition powered up. I have a dedicated toggle switch so that I can cycle the fuel pump independent of the ecu control. Are you solely relying on the ecu to control the pump? Easy test is to wire up the pump directly and if it starts with a longer prime than there you go...

Ahh...troubleshooting! We all go through it one way or another, my friend. Carry'on...!

T
tygaboy
I'll be taking it in for alignment and corner balance so I decided I may as well bolt on everything needed to get close to final weight.

I figured I'd go ahead and see what the hood vent looks like riveted in from the top. Remember, this is the test hood and not necessarily the final version of the vent. Also, just standard pop rivets. But it gives me a good idea of this look.

I like it from some angles, from others, not as much. Still some work to do.
tygaboy
I will say, I really like how the muffler looks! It's starting to look like a 914 again.
andrewb
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Sep 2 2020, 07:07 PM) *

I will say, I really like how the muffler looks! It's starting to look like a 914 again.

That arse end - which is all that most people will see - is perfection.

I agree about the front vent - it looks good on its own but somehow doesn't quite go with lines of the car.
djway
The outer rear corners of the vent look like they arch towards the front corners which may be an optical illusion but to fit the hood they should tail off towards the rear corners.
tygaboy
I'm thinking that to improve the visual of the hood vent, I'll work up a design that looks good on the car, then put vents where they fit and add "false" vents or maybe a cut-out or stamped area where vents can't go. A bit of form over function, but that's OK with me. Again, another item that's a work in progress where more noodling is needed.

Worst case, it's vent the fenders and leave the hood alone. But I'll admit, that just feels like giving up.
djway
You can do it. smile.gif
Think of the vents as the art and the surround as the decorative frame.
Cairo94507
Chris that is a great looking butt. (and not in a gay way; not that there is anything wrong with that....) beerchug.gif
Craigers17
While I love everything about this build, that rear firewall is just artwork in my mind. It just has this crazy "x-wing" fighter aircraft quality look to it, if that makes any sense, but at the same time it's simple in a good way. I know you said the car was loud, but I hope you don't cover up that metal work! ....it would be criminal! beerchug.gif
Dion
Just throwing ideas out here Chris.
Something simple like a 935 though moved over to the hood with separation. Not sure the volume of air needed to escape from the coolers flow. Just architecture ideas.
Fantastic that it’s coming all to fruition now!
Olympic 914
Porsche Sapphire blue, Looks pretty good, But I am prejudiced.

Click to view attachment

horizontally-opposed
WOOHOO!!!! Congratulations on that maiden voyage. Made me smile ear to ear, and that induction system is insanely cool looking.

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Sep 1 2020, 08:45 AM) *

If you like blues, go blue!

Color is super personal, and there are a lot of good metallic blues—I am partial to both Ancona and the 987/997 Aqua Blue (which isn't very aqua at all…), but…

The more time I have spent around Porsches and 914s, the more I appreciate non-metallics. There's just something so damn attractive and timeless about them—I think it's that they highlight forms over shapes. Hard to describe what I am saying, but I'd take a strong look at Aga Blue (1960s-1970s), Mercedes Midnight Blue (914s look insane in very dark blue), Sunoco Blue (talk about a cool period color…), and maybe Porsche's "Dark Blue" from the 1980s Carrera 3.2 and 944). Any of these will look period right and distinctive…
Cairo94507
I know it is not a metallic color, but Adriatic Blue is still a great color on a 914. beerchug.gif
Krieger
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Sep 3 2020, 05:23 AM) *

I know it is not a metallic color, but Adriatic Blue is still a great color on a 914. beerchug.gif

agree.gif
andys
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Sep 2 2020, 11:06 AM) *

I'll be taking it in for alignment and corner balance so I decided I may as well bolt on everything needed to get close to final weight.

I figured I'd go ahead and see what the hood vent looks like riveted in from the top. Remember, this is the test hood and not necessarily the final version of the vent. Also, just standard pop rivets. But it gives me a good idea of this look.

I like it from some angles, from others, not as much. Still some work to do.

Every time a hood vent discussion comes up, this one by byndbad914 keeps popping up in my mind. I love the simplicity, and subtlety, but then it's just one mans opinion.
Andys
Cairo94507
I like that and would do it without the graphics. beerchug.gif
tygaboy
Wait, you're suggesting I do something that's already been done? Where's the challenge in that? lol-2.gif

But seriously, I'd like to believe I can come up with a hood vent design that's functional AND looks good (to me) AND is unique/fits with other elements of my build.

Can I? Well, we'll see. If not, I'll happily swipe someone else's ideas and give them full credit whenever discussing that component!

On the EFI front, it looks like I'm about 3 weeks out from an appointment with the tuner. In the meantime, I hope to get the alignment and corner balance done.

If I get REALLY lucky, this car will be a driving participant at WCR! Fingers crossed.
andys
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Sep 3 2020, 01:01 PM) *

Wait, you're suggesting I do something that's already been done? Where's the challenge in that? lol-2.gif

But seriously, I'd like to believe I can come up with a hood vent design that's functional AND looks good (to me) AND is unique/fits with other elements of my build.

Can I? Well, we'll see. If not, I'll happily swipe someone else's ideas and give them full credit whenever discussing that component!

Yeah, well I did one that no one has done before (with the help of an Art Center design student), and I'm only luke-warm to how it looks. I'd prefer something better, but my artistic/creative skills are below average, so I'm relegated to copying something.

Best of luck on your endeavor.

Andys
burton73
Sorry I am late on the blue color but this looks like Iris Blue on 86 911s sold to Dax and same as my 928

Bob
tygaboy
Show of hands: who else thinks the stock interior door latch/lock is ripe for an upgrade and solving for that should be my top priority?

(crickets)

OK, so just me? Well, I've been noodling on this one for a while and stumbled onto something that might work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSK5Zb7EHYI
Cairo94507
Chris @tygaboy I really like that. Your car is so far from stock that I say why not. I really like the look and functionality of that 944 door handle. beerchug.gif
djway
I love the door handle
bbrock
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Sep 3 2020, 04:08 PM) *

Show of hands: who else thinks the stock interior door latch/lock is ripe for an upgrade and solving for that should be my top priority?

That's pretty cool but I was really expecting some sort of biometric security lock for this out of this world creation. Loving all the progress!
andys
Now you've gone and done it!!!! Now there'll be a run on 944 door handles, with supply drying-up, and prices through the roof :-)

Seriously though, a great idea!

Andys
sixnotfour
functionality of that 944 door handle.

and it reduces the physicality needed...
Rand
I love the quick GT door pull loops. Hint.
ri914
I like it. I moved my interior door pull to work better with the gullwing doors, but I am not a fan of the split lock oem 914 handle. This is a nice option.
AZ914
I know I’m late to the party re: blue/gold discussion but just came across this GT3 picture drooley.gif

ValcoOscar
QUOTE(AZ914 @ Sep 11 2020, 02:58 AM) *

I know I’m late to the party re: blue/gold discussion but just came across this GT3 picture drooley.gif

Great eye Jason. beerchug.gif
Better late than never.

Love this combo

Oscar

Click to view attachment
tygaboy
If there was a milestone I was most worried about, it was this one: Alignment and corner balance.
With all the chassis work I did, especially the Tangerine raised rear suspension pickup points, I was a little freaked out that when I took it in, it wouldn't be able to be brought into spec.

Well, after a morning at Roger Krause Racing with none other than Brandon Krause doing the work, I'm ecstatic to report that everything worked out wonderfully!
Even bump steer checked, measured and set. Overall, things are in the "aggressive street" range.

The following items weren't installed at the time:
- GT headlight kit/headlight bucket assembiles/headlights
- windshield
- rear window
- passenger seat
- targa top
- misc. seals

In this state, the car weighs in at 2145. I was sure it'd be heavier than that. I'd bet I don't add more than about 100 lbs. putting all the remaining stuff in so with 518 hp, I'm at ~ 4.34 lb/hp. Yikes.

But in all, a VERY major milestone. Next, it's off to get the ITBs and ECU some love.
Krieger
WOW! WOW! WOW! That is light! You were pretty close in you weights too.
Cairo94507
Roger Krause Racing, (Grove Way in Castro Valley) has been there for decades and has always done great work. smilie_pokal.gif beerchug.gif
djway
aktion035.gif piratenanner.gif beer.gif drooley.gif
Andyrew
Damn that's light!!! That's almost 400lbs lighter than the white car which is also an aluminum LS motor.

Seriously impressive!

Congrats! It's gonna be a monster!!!
tygaboy
Mission 914 on 9/14 accomplished. driving.gif

I drove the car around the block, maybe just over a mile. Sorry, no video as I was flying solo and was otherwise occupied with the plethora of things one tries to watch and listen for on a "first time out".

I got the car into 4th gear, just to shift it a bit and that all went to plan.
The induction system is another matter. It's in serious need of tuning. Poor, poor drive-ability, backfires, etc.
I won't go into what I discovered already but I'm confident that once it's tuned by an expert, it'll be good to go. I'm trying to get the appt in the next couple weeks.

Until then, I did officially drive it on 914 day so hooray for me! cheer.gif

For now, it's back to the still-outstanding fab work and assembly of minor items.

More once it's back from the tuner. That's when the real fun should begin.
mbseto
Congratulations man, that has to be an awesome feeling.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.