Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BUILD-OFF CHALLENGE: Tygaboy's '75 LS3
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93
tygaboy
The latest distraction arrived today. I can proudly state that I've got ownership of German cars pretty much nailed (yes, a bit non-standard) with a 914 hot rod, a Mercedes endurance racer and this BMW.
This '74 CSA (automatic) will likely get the expected updates: euro bumpers and a 5-speed conversion, wheel and suspension upgrades and and interior refresh.
If you're interested, I'll be posting all that on the E9 Forum starting soon.
For now, it's back to the 914!
markhoward
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Oct 17 2021, 07:29 AM) *

The latest distraction arrived today. I can proudly state that I've got ownership of German cars pretty much nailed (yes, a bit non-standard) with a 914 hot rod, a Mercedes endurance racer and this BMW.
This '74 CSA (automatic) will likely get the expected updates: euro bumpers and a 5-speed conversion, wheel and suspension upgrades and and interior refresh.
If you're interested, I'll be posting all that on the E9 Forum starting soon.
For now, it's back to the 914!

Just rolled through the Red Barn to lay eyes on the E9. Super impressed with this beauty! The paint is much brighter in person and is nothing short of elegant. Well done Chris!
Andyrew
BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!
Cairo94507
Very nice choice- beautiful cars. This should be fun. beerchug.gif
willieg
Nice choice. One of the most beautiful coupes ever made.
bkrantz
Nice Beemer. Does is still have the USA ride height spacers under the springs?
tygaboy
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Oct 17 2021, 08:49 PM) *

@bkrantz - So funny. Much as I've lusted for one of these, I don't yet know too much detail about them beyond where to check for rust. I'm the new guy on the E9 forum, asking questions that surely prompt thoughts like "How can he not know that?" lol-2.gif

So, to answer your question: I have no idea! All I know right now is that it's beautiful.

Well, and I'm ordering up the "usual" goodies that address upgrading the suspension to get the proper stance and desired performance. Essentially, springs, shocks, new bushings and upgraded sway bars. Oh, and wheels and tires. And some interior stuff. And... ah, crap. Here we go again.
tygaboy
Back to the 914:
Updated rear suspension mount all final welded, Wevo mounts attached and everything ready for the cross bar to be fabbed.

A couple more days' work and I'll be hacking out that factory transmission mounting member.

That, and a couple of other mods I'm planning, will really change the look of the engine compartment. I just love working on this thing! sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Oct 12 2021, 05:32 PM) *

One for the tool whores: A hand-held metal router! This thing is too cool.
The Renegade mount has a bunch of holes in it. I went to town with the router and couldn't be happier with how it echoes the look of a dimple die.

Style point, baby. Style points... shades.gif

The pneumatic bevelers are cool tools. I have the same one as well as the SP brand. The SP is over $200 now and is a PS. Well its not but for the price it is. Makes for good clean finish work. Knockout punch dies can be difficult on really thick metal. This is where the bevelers are handy and give the hole some flair.

Your photo makes it look giant when in fact they are very small.
Dion
Luv that BMW coupe! The Benz is coming along nicely. Awesome those frame-rails had the perfect trajectory. Keep it coming Chris.
tygaboy
More trans mount stuff: After pattern making and fitting, the spreader plates got fully welded on the bench, drilled for the plug welds, then clamped in place to facilitate fitting the cross bar. The black, over-sprayed paint is weld-through primer.
The plate assembly will be fully edge welded to the chassis.
tygaboy
Then the cross bar gets the "trim, test fit, trim, test fit..." treatment until everything sits in its "happy place"! The front edge of the tube was trimmed (vs. cutting into the shock tower) to get the tube to move forward enough to center over the new mount location. This approach made it simpler to solve for the spreader plates. Anyway, it's all ready for final welding to commence.

Once fully welded, I'll fab some sort of bracketry that drops from the cross bar to the Wevo mounts, similar to the factory set up, but with some added style points - hopefully.

Still noodling on a bracing set up from the shock towers to the mount areas. Maybe an X, maybe a Y, maybe permanent, maybe bolt on. idea.gif You'll know once I do!

And that wacky strap that's welded to the factory cross bar is the high-tech method for holding the rear of the trans in place while all this fab is happening. (Don't hate me - it works and doesn't get in the way.)
tygaboy
@Jeff Hail mentioned the bevel tool was small but the pic didn't really show just how small. I just can't live thinking I've disappointed Jeff, a fellow tool whore, with my poor representations of a tool (happy11.gif) so here's a shot showing just how small these babies are.
tygaboy
And here's the next part the bevel tool beveled. This and a little folding in the brake...
tygaboy
...gets me the initial version of the transmission mount hanger brackets. I say initial version" because I'm still developing my skills around translating poster board templates into steel parts.
You can see the bend location isn't quite right and I've got too big a gap where the tabs should be touching the horizontal surface.
As I've said many times before, it's a good thing I'm not trying to make a living doing this...

That said, I'm really happy with the overall design and how this entire cross bar set up is turning out.
cassmcentee
Looking wonderful!
So happy that you beefed everything up!
Andyrew
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Oct 22 2021, 03:29 PM) *

@Jeff Hail mentioned the bevel tool was small but the pic didn't really show just how small. I just can't live thinking I've disappointed Jeff, a fellow tool whore, with my poor representations of a tool (happy11.gif) so here's a shot showing just how small these babies are.

It’s like a tiny metal router! That’s pretty awesome. Does it destroy those blades or how much are those replacements??
bkrantz
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Oct 20 2021, 10:13 AM) *

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Oct 17 2021, 08:49 PM) *

@bkrantz - So funny. Much as I've lusted for one of these, I don't yet know too much detail about them beyond where to check for rust. I'm the new guy on the E9 forum, asking questions that surely prompt thoughts like "How can he not know that?" lol-2.gif

So, to answer your question: I have no idea! All I know right now is that it's beautiful.

Well, and I'm ordering up the "usual" goodies that address upgrading the suspension to get the proper stance and desired performance. Essentially, springs, shocks, new bushings and upgraded sway bars. Oh, and wheels and tires. And some interior stuff. And... ah, crap. Here we go again.

My 2002 had big aluminum spring spacers. Apparently this was to attain the bumper ride height the US DOT required.
Krieger
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Oct 22 2021, 03:31 PM) *

And here's the next part the bevel tool beveled. This and a little folding in the brake...

Beautiful origami with metal!
tygaboy
I didn't like how the initial version of the hanger brackets were a bit too roundy between the side gussets. Plus, the vertical surface hit the cross bar a bit too high. I also narrowed up the width at the top so the the gussets didn't need to fold so far past 90 degrees. I just liked the look of a bit less angle.

So, here's what I think are the final versions of everything, with the cross bar tacked to the spreader plates and the hanger brackets bolted to the transmission mounts.
And yes, I'll be adding a bridging gusset between the front and rear hanger mounts, essentially just like the factory design.

Next, it's triple-double check that everything is aligned / leveled then tack the hanger brackets to the cross bar. From there, the entire cross bar assembly gets removed from the car and final welded on the bench. That's when the bridge gussets will go on. Finally, the completed assembly is final fitted and welded to the chassis.
welder.gif welder.gif

With a bit of luck, the factory transmission mount cross member will be removed this week. sawzall-smiley.gif Can't wait to see this transformation.
tygaboy
With the various components fitted and things tacked in place, the entire contraption gets pulled to weld on the bench.
tygaboy
Leaving the mounts attached helps ensure the hanger brackets stay in plane to each other during welding. Yes, the melty parts get removed before any significant welding begins.
The welds you see on the edges of the hanger brackets are to close up the scoring cuts I made to force the bend to occur RIGHT where I wanted it. This approach means that from the other side, the side you'll see, it looks like one piece!
Plus, this allows for a crisper bend which, to my eye, makes the part look a bit lighter.
shades.gif
tygaboy
Next was to CAD up a small gusset that ties one hanger bracket to the other.
If you look at the factory trans mount, you'll see a similar design - just nowhere near as stylish. laugh.gif

I added these on the outside only. I'm leaving the inside open to allow for getting the nut and a wrench in there to install/remove the mount.
tygaboy
All welded and back in for a test fit.
tygaboy
It's always a bit nerve-wracking when you weld something out of the car then "see" if it still fits...
With things only set in place, not even bolted down, everything lined up perfectly. Man, I love it when a plan comes together! piratenanner.gif

Last step is to bolt the mounts to the hanger brackets and weld the spreader plates to the chassis.

And no, that's not a missed weld at the gusset-to-cross bar joint.
tazz9924
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Oct 28 2021, 04:14 PM) *

It's always a bit nerve-wracking when you weld something out of the car then "see" if it still fits...
With things only set in place, not even bolted down, everything lined up perfectly. Man, I love it when a plan comes together! piratenanner.gif

Last step is to bolt the mounts to the hanger brackets and weld the spreader plates to the chassis.

And no, that's not a missed weld at the gusset-to-cross bar joint.

Did you tig weld them?
bkrantz
Sweet!
djway
Tingly smile.gif
Krieger
WOW! That looks sooo good! piratenanner.gif
cassmcentee
"A Thing of Beauty"!
tygaboy
QUOTE(Krieger @ Oct 28 2021, 10:05 PM) *

@Krieger - Credit where credit is due, Andy. As I mentioned when this mod started, it was your eye for design and derogatory comments lol-2.gif helpful suggestion that prompted the effort. If not for you, it likely never would have happened.

When you're next here, you need to sign the cross bar!
rhodyguy
You dreamers/fabricators/welders never cease to amaze me.
Krieger
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Oct 29 2021, 07:51 AM) *

QUOTE(Krieger @ Oct 28 2021, 10:05 PM) *

@Krieger - Credit where credit is due, Andy. As I mentioned when this mod started, it was your eye for design and derogatory comments lol-2.gif helpful suggestion that prompted the effort. If not for you, it likely never would have happened.

When you're next here, you need to sign the cross bar!

It would be an honor! beerchug.gif
tygaboy
With all the dimensions verified, the transmission mount gets (mostly) welded in. I still have to get under the car and finish a could areas. But more than enough is done to allow me to remove the factory cross bar. And you know I've been chomping to get rid of it since @Krieger Andy first suggested I come up with a new mount.

I thought you might enjoy seeing it happen, so, here you go!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR5kpPJnKXs
tygaboy
So here's the new look my engine compartment is sporting! I think it looks amazing.
drooley.gif wub.gif
So much tidier and a way better match to the vibe of the build.
mikey63
NICE!!!!! welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif
Cairo94507
Wow! Where did all the "stuff" go? Much cleaner look- me like. beerchug.gif
tygaboy
"Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close up." laugh.gif

I've been thinking about finishes so I figured it wouldn't hurt to give it a quick squirt of black, since that's part of a theme I'm considering: All the tubes in black, the body in non-black. Still not sure.

Something else that struck me was to have that big ol' main transmission mount cad plated, like the shifter bits you see there on the right side of the trans.
I think what's there now is too much black.
tygaboy
Here are the major parts that got removed. If anyone wants to move their Boxster trans and engine forward 1.5", let me know. I'll give you a good deal on some custom aluminum spacers... happy11.gif
Krieger
Saweeet! That looks so dang clean! Excellent work! smilie_pokal.gif I would have suggested it sooner if I knew you were going to mention me by name in a video! lol-2.gif
tygaboy
Before and after.

ITBs are cool, but overall? I'll take after.
Rand
I like the after. I just took a nice big clean filtered breath in its honor.
Gotta be better for cooler air intake and measurable tuning too.
sixnotfour
So Clean , and Easy Tune,,
AZBanks
Good design and quality execution is art.

You are:

The Picasso of the Puddle
The Warhol of Weld
The Bob Ross of Bead

Just don't go all Van Gogh with the Sawzall.
Retroracer
Now you have plenty of room for both turbos, and the intercoolers.

happy11.gif

- Tony
Krieger
Paint your new lower transmission bracket an aluminzed silver color to help it blend in to all the aluminum below.
tygaboy
QUOTE(Retroracer @ Nov 2 2021, 10:30 PM) *

Now you have plenty of room for both turbos, and the intercoolers.

happy11.gif

- Tony

@RetroRacer Tony,
"Both"? Surely, you mean "all four"! happy11.gif

Seriously, though. @Krieger Andy may have goaded me into this transmission mount mod but, as you know, it was Tony's design idea that inspired the hood vents. Well, he's also sent me design sketches for two REALLY cool induction system ideas. So... with the trans mount all but done, it's time to get going on one (maybe both!) of his intake/air cleaner ideas.

More as I get to it.
tygaboy
For those who may wonder what's inside this area of our little cars:

I was cutting out the remainder of the factory trans support cross member, expecting to be greeted by a nice, flat panel all the way to the rear. Nope. Big opening where the cross member attaches.

I was surprised by how Porsche designed this junction. There's actually a couple other sheet metal parts involved in this area but I was pretty focused on removing it all so forgot to get pics. I'll snap some when I remove the other side.

Interesting engineering. I'm going to leverage some of the design and add some internal structure where my new cross bar attaches to the chassis. Thank you, Porsche!
tygaboy
What's going on here? happy11.gif

Removing the factory cross member really opens up the rear of the engine compartment. So much so that I've opted to rethink the exhaust system.

I've come up with a couple new designs. This first one is sorta what you see here:
The pipes will come together, Siamese straight back about 3-5 inches, then split back to two at 90 degrees and drop down on either side of the trans, enter transversely mounted mufflers then 90 again to go out the back, almost at each corner.

The other design is too hard for me to explain so if I mock it up, you'll get pics.
Retroracer
So two words to trigger you into a tangent of research, thought and design around a topic:

Blown. Diffusor.

- Tony
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.