Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BUILD-OFF CHALLENGE: Tygaboy's '75 LS3
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93
Retroracer
Chris - your clean dash look is somewhat reminiscent of the 60's era 911 / 912 "brushed" dashes; which had an elegant "911" or "912" insignia added at the far RHS (see pics). Might break up the slab look a little - in a classy way.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

You could have a "914" or "914-8" logo perhaps CNC'ed....? As ever, just a thought.

- Tony
tygaboy
@Retroracer Tony - great minds! Way back when, @Mueller Mike made a "914-6.2" badge for me and I've been debating if it should be Mike's, the Speedster dash "Porsche" badge, ordered yesterday (pic below) or nothing. Maybe I can come up with a way to swap them on and off to suit my mood.
tygaboy
Early, no vent lower dash pad is here and test fit. I LOVE it!!
And what better than an initial test of @Mueller Mike's wonderful badge? Thanks again, Mike!

Note the dash panel hasn't been treated to any sort of finish and in its current state, it doesn't contrast enough with Mike's badge. I think I want to darken the dash panel and leave the badge as is - in raw state.

Regardless, I can't get enough of how things look with the no vent pad. Sharp eyes will notice it's missing that little chrome edge strip. I'm not yet sure how I might address that, or if I can treat that edge and run with out it. So as always, still a way to go. But overall, it's turning out even better than I'd hoped.
Retroracer
That dash & badging look like the dogs bollocks. As the English say.

- Tony
tygaboy
How the sausage is made... Once everything about this dash panel is settled, I'll powder coat the dash frame. I'm posting this pic because a couple folks have indicated they're interested in doing something similar so I wanted to point out one item you'lll likely want to address.

If you want the panel to sit flush against the dash, you have to elimintate all the stampings that are proud of the main surface. That includes the glove box lock stamping, assuming you want to blank that, too.
I used a knock-out punch to remove the raised stamped areas then went back with a hammer and dolly to address any high/low spots to get a good fit.

Don't say I didn't warn you! poke.gif biggrin.gif
tygaboy
I hit the panel with 80 grit on a D/A sander then gave it a coat of hardware store semi-gloss clear. It looks so much more finished and gives a nice, subtle contrast to Mike's badge. I'll run it like this for a while and see if I'm motivated to change the finish.
tazz9924
You can do a brushed aluminum look by going up and down the metal to give it a “grain” with grey scotch brite. another good finish option
tygaboy
On to the door panels where I worked up a couple initial test pieces. And no, they aren't to final size. Just so I can see things in real life to help get me thinking.

How about an upholstered panel with a metal insert?

I have plans that do away with the door latch so don't worry, I didn't forget about that.
tygaboy
Or a metal panel with an upholstered insert? I actually started with this one and adjusted some of the dimensions to cut that panel in the pic above. This one needs a lot of tuning to get it to fit on the door. Plus, as you can see, a few of the dimensions are off - like the lower edge of the opening needs to be lowered to have a consistent relationship with the door bar, but again, it's where I started.
nivekdodge
Either one is gorgeous
Mueller
I forgot about that emblem, it’s been awhile. Car is looking great as usual.
cassmcentee
Lookeeen' Gooood

Sure you've thought about it...
More Metal = More Noise?
Cairo94507
I like the look of option 1 better, how it follows the roll cage lower bar looks bitchin. beerchug.gif
tygaboy
QUOTE(cassmcentee @ Sep 26 2022, 04:19 AM) *

Lookeeen' Gooood

Sure you've thought about it...
More Metal = More Noise?

@cassmcentee - Not that this build is about ultimate comfort, but I'm sure it'd be noisier. At this point, I'm with @Cairo94507 Michael and will focus on the metal insert version. Plus, then I won't have to spend all that time getting the overall panel to fit the door! You know me: always taking the easy way out! laugh.gif

And as @Retroracer Tony noted in a separate conversation, that panel is a bit plain and will be treated to a stamping to give it a bit more interesting and less "hey look, a plain, flat panel!" look.

But first, I have to finalize the custom latch so I can eliminate the factory assembly.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Sep 26 2022, 11:40 AM) *

You know me: always taking the easy way out! laugh.gif

What happened to Singer +/- better than yesterday?

Simple metal dash and door panels? Specially’ after you posted that beautiful carbon SV650 tank? WTF.gif

We’ll let you slide for now but will be expecting a carbon fiber interior as the real deal long term plan laugh.gif

Seriously though - love the build. Keep the good work coming!
tygaboy
In keeping with the "no kill like overkill" model, I wired up the USB charger so when I need to remove the console cover, I pull out the cup holder, disconnect the seat heater switches and this plug and out comes the cover.
tygaboy
And speaking of console cover, I was able to compete everything in the tunnel and install the finished cover.
First, let me credit @buddyV Robert, who heavily influenced my decision to go with these colors and finishes. Robert kept saying "what you want are 'Shades of Black.'"
Let me just say: pics simply don't do it justice.

All the black sheet metal is the same matte powder coat finish but you can see how it looks different, depending on the viewing angle, if the part is in shadow or not, etc. I like how it compliments/contrasts with the gloss black of the shifter and the tone of the seats.
The silver touches (rivets, grommets, shifter lever, aluminum dash) all play nicely together, too. And I'm really happy the overall raw and mechanical look with the exposed shifter and its related components.

And don't get worked up about the door panel. It's my typical "work in progess". I'll run it like this for a bit and see what I like/don't like about it and adjust from there. It may end up going away in favor of an upholstered panel that same shape, maybe with an RS pleated pattern in there... idea.gif
tygaboy
Or this dash badge? Does it look too fancy? Mike's seems a better fit for the vibe of the car. Nice that I can just swap them out for one another.
Krieger
I like the door panels black with no metal panels. Goes with the shades of black idea. Your window cranks give little sparkles of contrast. The metal panels make it a little too busy.
dstudeba
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Sep 26 2022, 05:41 PM) *

Or this dash badge? Does it look too fancy? Mike's seems a better fit for the vibe of the car. Nice that I can just swap them out for one another.

Though I love the Porsche badge on its own, the styling of the 914 badge fits your interior much better in my opinion.
tygaboy
QUOTE(Krieger @ Sep 27 2022, 08:07 AM) *

I like the door panels black with no metal panels. Goes with the shades of black idea. Your window cranks give little sparkles of contrast. The metal panels make it a little too busy.

@Krieger - Oh yeah, Andy? Well what do you know?!?! happy11.gif
I agree with you about not liking that particular panel but I'm not done trying. I want to see if I can come up with a design that carries the aluminum band from the dash, "around the corner" onto the door panel - and looks good.
I've worked up a handful of designs and tried out this one today. Still a work in progress.
Krieger
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Sep 27 2022, 04:53 PM) *

QUOTE(Krieger @ Sep 27 2022, 08:07 AM) *

@Krieger - Oh yeah, Andy? Well what do you know?!?! happy11.gif
I agree with you about not liking that particular panel but I'm not done trying. I want to see if I can come up with a design that carries the aluminum band from the dash, "around the corner" onto the door panel - and looks good.
I've worked up a handful of designs and tried out this one today. Still a work in progress.

lol-2.gif Oh, yes, now that's a cool door accent that matches the dash and follows the door bar! Good work my friend! Why do I think you'll come up with a V4? biggrin.gif
tygaboy
Depressed and with hurt feelings, I headed into the shop for another day's work. Why the mood? @Superhawk996 - First, it's @Krieger Andy's poo-pooing of my door panel then your derogatory comment about my car's lack of carbon fiber. sad.gif

"I'll show them!" I thought and went to work! happy11.gif

So I made a set of carbon fiber inner long covers. There. Happy? av-943.gif
tygaboy
OK, OK. You may remember, I made these covers years ago when I thought I might have some exposed carbon trim panels in the car. They've been sitting outside the Red Barn, being rained on, etc. Poor things... Time to put them to use!
I don't think my car has an "exposed carbon" vibe - and I don't want any permanently glued-to-the-chassis carpet. I've never liked the loose look of velcroed-in carpet so I figured I could use adhesive spray to carpet these covers and end up with removeable, rigid carpet panels.
Starting with the passenger side, I trimmed the panel so it'd fit just so and it'd clear the footrest and ECU cover.
tygaboy
A bit of trusty 3M spray adhesive, a bit of tac time and some careful trimming of the material and the first side is in for a test fit.
tygaboy
Next it was trimming for the door bar verticals. Note the carpet just folds into place on the outside and the cut line all but disappears.
I don't care for the look of the carpet simply trimmed to the bar so I found some suitable rubber grommets, cut them in half and used one side as a rudimentary trim piece. Better than nothing, at least for now. Heck, the door bars aren't even painted! laugh.gif I'll work up something more permanent in the future.
tygaboy
One all but finished, rigid and removable, inner long carpet panel! One down, one to go.

Hey @superhawk996 - if covering up carbon fiber is good enough for Singer, it's good enough for me, too! av-943.gif aktion035.gif beerchug.gif

I couldn't be happier with how this interior is shaping up. wub.gif After all these years of focusing on the mechanicals and getting so used to my car as a rat-rod, seeing things looking "nice" really has an impact. It's like working on a different car!
tygaboy
Seat back in, passenger side mostly done.
Sharp eyes will notice a non-standard interior door handle. It's from a 944. A couple years back, I did a little video about how these work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSK5Zb7EHYI

As you can see, they don't quite fit but I modded this one so it'd bolt on in the correct fore/aft location. Everything works just fine, too! Well, until you put the door card on and realize the whole assembly sits about 1/4" too far outboard and the door card fouls the latch rod juuuuuust enough to keep the latch from being able to lock the door from the inside.
I think I can remedy that.

The attraction to this is:
- it's a Porsche part
- I can get them pretty cheaply as I'm sure to mess one up working out exactly how I need to modify it
- Best of all? The latch almost exactly matches the shape of the door bar! w00t.gif
Krieger
poke.gif beerchug.gif
Superhawk996
Can’t believe you covered carbon fiber with carpet hissyfit.gif

If I had a set of long covers like that there is no way I’d ever be able to cover them. But when it is all said and done, I like it including the grommets ! Well done!

Hope you didn’t take my ribbing seriously. You have an amazing build going on and an eye for design that far surpasses my own creative ability (or lack of).
tygaboy
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Sep 28 2022, 07:21 PM) *

Can’t believe you covered carbon fiber with carpet hissyfit.gif

If I had a set of long covers like that there is no way I’d ever be able to cover them. But when it is all said and done, I like it including the grommets ! Well done!

Hope you didn’t take my ribbing seriously. You have an amazing build going on and an eye for design that far surpasses my own creative ability (or lack of).

@Superhawk996 - No worries at all. I enjoy to ribbing! As to covering the carbon parts? I don't think exposed carbon suits the car but that's just me. It's also because I don't want much reflective surface in the interior. And thanks for the kind words.
tygaboy
Playing with maybe running a pedal board to hide all the hydraulics. This is a raw V1 to help me understand fit and develop measurements. Assuming I like it, I'll get it into CAD and plasma cut the panel.
tygaboy
Time to focus on some exterior improvements. Today was the initial fit of the air dam. Then it's the fun job of welding the return back onto the bumper. Once that's done, I'll paint the nose black and work out some screen for the opening.
bkrantz
Kinda nice, but for max points the carbon fiber piece needs to be structural. sunglasses.gif
tygaboy
A busy day at the Red Barn. First, I went after getting the return on the bumper. I clamped the original lower edge return in place, then used a cutoff wheel to slice through both the bumper and the return at the same time. This guarantees the same shape on both pieces and a no-gap weld seam. Then I started fuse tacking the pieces together.
I need to fab the side pieces and final weld everything but couldn't resist seeing it on the car.
tygaboy
But then I got distracted by the interior and decided to work on the door card.
I started with this but immediately didn't like how big that circle seemed. It's the same diameter and the winder but wasn't doing it for me.
tygaboy
Next version: Smaller diameter with some added lightness.
I sent a pic of this to @buddyv Robert. He hates it, saying it's like a girl with a tatoo around her belly button: never a good look. lol-2.gif
tygaboy
Squint and it's the same with the bottom chopped off. Seems unfinished to me.
tygaboy
What to do? Well, when in doubt, stamp it! smash.gif
I worked up a quick stamping die. It sure makes a difference.

Note that it's just held on by the screws. In the end, those will be rivets, the top edge will be tucked under the upper rail and the tail will be fllush against the panel. Right now, it's being forced out by the padded upholstery and the stamp, which is why it seems a bit out of alignment. It's not.

It does grab your eye - maybe a bit too much? So the next experiment will be to paint them matte black. That'll change them from what I think is too much of a "color" into a "Shade of Black" component. Assuming I like that, I'll make a pair and have them powder coated the same as the rest of the interior sheet metal.
Mayne
Amazing work. As I saw the versions of the door card progressing, I kept thinking, powder coating in the color of the other parts would pull it together well. Interior is shaping up into something truly special.
Krieger
That last version looks good. I think it would look better if there wasn't a "tab" above the window winder at 12 o'clock. Can't wait to see the aerosol black version.
tygaboy
QUOTE(Krieger @ Oct 1 2022, 08:17 AM) *

That last version looks good. I think it would look better if there wasn't a "tab" above the window winder at 12 o'clock. Can't wait to see the aerosol black version.

@Krieger - Well OK, here you go! All I had was semi-gloss black but I can say I like it waaaaay more than unpainted. Rather than trying to "extend" the dash panel, I think it's better showcased by being the only raw aluminum in the car.
914Toy

This build is a class act beerchug.gif
burton73
This is looking very good in my humble option. One thing that might be really cool, is to have the recessed area in a different texture like RS wheel. It's the difference between polished and glass beaded finish but then bk anodized

I have a top slide on a 45 ACP that is a combination of polished and glass beaded and then blued/blacked or whatever they do on steel. It looks very cool. Very subtle but really very cool and above all super clean.

I am really liking it.

Best to you bud,

Bob B. Burton

aktion035.gif
Krieger
smilie_pokal.gif That looks soooo good!
tygaboy
I've been watching too many of those hot rod shows that also show the upholstery process and convinced myself that "if they can do it, I can do it!" Granted, this is pretty simple, but that's always a good place to start.

My door cards are done in a horrible carbon fiber-look vinyl so I figured no harm in sacrificing them to a learning opportunity.

I wanted to see if I could get a nice "sunken-look" panel so I cut a shape that follows the door bars and avoids the window winder. I also worked out the latch location. I want to update the latches to something else but I've not finalized that so went with stock for now. Anyway, I laid the panel on the door card and trimmed in about 1/2" from the edge.
tygaboy
Then I fitted the panel under the vinyl and using it as a guide, cut the foam to the exact shape of the panel.
tygaboy
Then it's a simple matter of riveting the panel to the door. I used rivet washers on the back side to spread the load and prevent the rivet pulling through the wooden card.
I didn't have enough of the proper length rivets, but you get the idea.
It turned out pretty well, IMO. Certainly not bad for a first go.
tygaboy
In the car.
As before, I think this will end up being a shape stitched into the door panel, rather than a metal panel. But I'll probably get these powder coated in the same matte black as the other interior sheet metal, just to see if I like that look. Maybe stamp them, too?

And yes, the visual gap from the panel edge to the door bar gets bigger once it starts to climb more steeply at the rear. I did that on purpose because I like that there's a bit of a change in the negative space at that point. To me, that's more visually interesting.
Mueller
Chris, that interior is getting be next level. As always super impressed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.