Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Member's 914 Pictures
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112
Beach914
QUOTE(jtg @ Jan 19 2011, 03:27 PM) *

Electric motor bolted to original clutch and transmission:

Transmission overhauled by Dr. Evil. Motor / transmission installed:

Front battery pack, charger, 12v aux battery:

Rear battery pack mounted above electric motor:

Range on single charge is over 132 miles.

Too much fun!

Your "Hell Hole" must really look bad !!!!! Just kidding.

What an awesome job on the car.

You're mileage on a charge is impressive. How long do you expect the batteries to last? I used to change out 6V Trojans on golf carts when I was a teenager. Reason for my bad back today.
jtg
You're mileage on a charge is impressive. How long do you expect the batteries to last? I used to change out 6V Trojans on golf carts when I was a teenager. Reason for my bad back today.

Thanks for the nice comments beach914 and flipb.

Batteries are Lithium, manufacturer claims 3000-5000 cycles. That should be about 300,000 miles conservatively. We'll see..... (lead acid are good for about 700 cycles and I would have half the range. 35,000 miles before a battery change.)

I went simple, no regenerative braking. The car is light enough with the lithiums (2500 lbs) that the standard brakes are great. I do expect to go through them a little faster.

The motor is a WarP 9 (yes, that's the real name) made by Netgain. About 27 hp as measured like electric motors are measured. No relation to gas motor HP. Since I have a little more performance than the 1.8L car I'm guessing it's equivalent to 85 HP. I could get more performance but I'm limiting the amps going to the motor for longer life. O - 60 in 12 seconds is good enough for around town driving. We live in SW Florida, Have over a 1000 miles on it so far.

No plans to do a thread. Having to much fun driving it! A quick internet search indicates that over 30 914's have been converted so far. Check out http://www.evalbum.com/
Madswede
QUOTE(jtg @ Jan 21 2011, 05:20 AM) *

The motor is a WarP 9 (yes, that's the real name) made by Netgain. About 27 hp as measured like electric motors are measured. No relation to gas motor HP. Since I have a little more performance than the 1.8L car I'm guessing it's equivalent to 85 HP. I could get more performance but I'm limiting the amps going to the motor for longer life. O - 60 in 12 seconds is good enough for around town driving. We live in SW Florida, Have over a 1000 miles on it so far.

I bet the effective HP is higher than the 1.8L-85 HP because your car is likely heavier than the 1.8L was with all those batteries. Yet it still performs about the same! Nice! sunglasses.gif

I'm still going to hold out for when electric cars can go 250 miles per charge over lots of hills, still have some performance capability better than a riding lawnmower, and when the electricity I use to charge them is made by nuclear energy. rolleyes.gif

- Nelson
jtg
Here in FL over 75% of the electricity used to charge my 914 comes from clean nuclear or natural gas power plants. I can burn rubber both in first and reverse. This is all old technology, mostly from the 40's. I usually go 3 to 4 days between charges. Just went over 1000 miles since the conversion yesterday. Soooo fun to drive!
orange914
QUOTE(jtg @ Jan 19 2011, 03:27 PM) *

Motor / transmission installed:

Click to view attachment

Too much fun!

that is really cool and looks very nicely done. how does it seem to handle vrs. gas engine/weight distribution? i bet acceleration is a kick. i've heard the new electric cars are so quite that they are discussing adding some sort of noise to alert others around for saftey reasons

what do you figure it cost per "fillup"? how long does a full charge take?

if you don't mind, i always wondered roughly what kind of $ a nice job like yours would cost to do.
echocanyons
Another shot of my driver. I have driven this nearly daily for about a year no0w with no real problems.
jtg
that is really cool and looks very nicely done. how does it seem to handle vrs. gas engine/weight distribution? i bet acceleration is a kick. i've heard the new electric cars are so quite that they are discussing adding some sort of noise to alert others around for saftey reasons

if you don't mind, i always wondered roughly what kind of $ a nice job like yours would cost to do.

Car: $3500, Electrical conversion: $16,000 (due mostly to batteries: $9000).

6 months restoring a mostly rust free roller.
3 months converting to electric.

About $3 worth of electricity to charge to get over 130 miles.

A friend that owned a 914 drove it and said the handling was just as good and was faster than his. Batteries were placed to keep the weight distribution the same.

It does make noise: Transmission, brake drag, tire noise, wind noise. All the stuff that the gas engine normally masks. I haven't been able to "sneak up" on anyone yet!

Most of the work was restoring / repairing this 40 year old car.
Rand
Nice work. What is the final total weight of the car with all batteries on board?
Rand

That seems a lot lower than what I've heard for other vehicles. Is this typical? How much do different electric-power rates come into play? Does it matter where you live, or whether you charge at night? Well, of course.... I just haven't made this math work yet. Curious.
orange914
QUOTE(jtg @ Jan 24 2011, 07:03 AM) *

Car: $3500, Electrical conversion: $16,000 (due mostly to batteries: $9000).

6 months restoring a mostly rust free roller.
3 months converting to electric.

A friend that owned a 914 drove it and said the handling was just as good and was faster than his. Batteries were placed to keep the weight distribution the same.

It does make noise: Transmission, brake drag, tire noise, wind noise. All the stuff that the gas engine normally masks. I haven't been able to "sneak up" on anyone yet!

Most of the work was restoring / repairing this 40 year old car.

would you consider selling? smile.gif
jtg

Nope.
orange914
QUOTE(jtg @ Feb 9 2011, 03:03 PM) *

Nope.

really nice job, i'm not real up on the electric car thing but i started looking at others and you seem to have an over average range, accel. and top speed
first.gif drooley.gif
overhead solar panel for a charge, then about all you'd be buying is tires
dave1075
last summer at Nuerburgring Nordschleife:

IPB Image
flipb
QUOTE(dave1075 @ Feb 11 2011, 07:29 AM) *

Am I the only one thinking that looks awfully close to Sahara Beige? And per dave1075's signature, it's Paint Code 98...
blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif

Very cool photo, BTW... US Model imported back to Germany?
smg914
QUOTE(flipb @ Feb 11 2011, 05:39 AM) *

Am I the only one thinking that looks awfully close to Sahara Beige? And per dave1075's signature, it's Paint Code 98...

Based on the engine number, it's a 1972 1.7 liter. I don't believe VW Sahara Beige was available until 1973. So for now my SB 914 is still exclusive "LOL". I remember doing some research back when I first bought the Sahara Beige 914, there was something like a 12 to 15 versions of VW beige over the years.
AFJOS
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

My baby!!
kfish914
Nice looking car, love the way the leaves reflect in the crome bumper.
What size are the rims??
dave1075
QUOTE(smg914 @ Feb 11 2011, 04:53 PM) *

QUOTE(flipb @ Feb 11 2011, 05:39 AM) *

Am I the only one thinkhttp://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=Post&CODE=02&f=2&t=8&qpid=1429968ing that looks awfully close to Sahara Beige? And per dave1075's signature, it's Paint Code 98...

Based on the engine number, it's a 1972 1.7 liter. I don't believe VW Sahara Beige was available until 1973. So for now my SB 914 is still exclusive "LOL". I remember doing some research back when I first bought the Sahara Beige 914, there was something like a 12 to 15 versions of VW beige over the years.

You are totally right -- there have been so many different beige tones.

Actually it's called Beige Grey (original invoice already stated). Took a while to find out. Tried a lot of paint samples.

dave1075
QUOTE(flipb @ Feb 11 2011, 02:39 PM) *

Yes, US Model reimport. Lot of people do retrofit back to EU specs here in Germany. But I decided to keep it as it was delivered originally.

Photo was taken during a historic TSD rally.
AFJOS
QUOTE(kfish914 @ Feb 12 2011, 11:31 PM) *

Nice looking car, love the way the leaves reflect in the crome bumper.
What size are the rims??

The rims are 7 x 16 front and 8 x 16 rear Fuchs alloys
t collins
Click to view attachment My 72 in the Jefferson National Forest
sooba_dave
Click to view attachmentHere are the before pixs...
abnrdo
My birthday present. A 75 Palma Green Metallic. No major rust. Going to do a resto, but really want to put an LS2 in the engine bay.
karnak
1975 3.0L SC - 930 Slant nose conversion
jsayre914
It was a nice day in York today. smile.gif

Washed the car FERG.gif
socalstuttgart
Me at 16... I was already on my second 914! Do you think I had fun in this car? yes or no?
IPB Image
nicabr
First posting on the forum will be a pic of my car bought last spring.
It's a 1.7 from 1971 repainted in white by the PO. Original color is L11E Canary yellow, which it will have again someday...

Click to view attachment

//Nicklas

VW-Porsche 914/4 1971
sofi2t81
]Hello 914 world,

I finally got my dream car. I felt in love to the 914 when I was a kid and the mother of a friend of mine picked us up from school, Now during my assignment in the US I fullfilled my dream and I will take it home to the place where it was born.

Click to view attachment
Root_Werks
Wow! Some really nice 914's! driving.gif
Silver72
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Sep 23 2010, 07:21 AM) *

QUOTE(Silver72 @ Aug 27 2010, 09:23 AM) *

IDDY (what my kids call it) back on the road with new shocks and struts. Old ones were shot...corners niiice!

Dang Mark, that is a sweet picture of your 914!

Thanks! Just saw your post. It is the wheels!
flipb
I've probably posted in here before but had to have an updated photo... now sporting freshly powder-coated rockers and Euro taillights. The only external change I expect to make in the future is a more stock-ish exhaust someday when the Monza rusts out.

And yes, should've washed it before I shot photos, but was too impatient to drive it! driving.gif

Click to view attachment
flipb
Another
Click to view attachment
reharvey
Click to view attachment
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 27 2002, 03:58 PM) *

Let’s see your babies, 914’s only please!
We really don’t care what kind of POS water-cooled you drive. Unless it’s a 914 V-8 conversion of course!

Sorry our pic is a bit crappy.

Mark & Kim Henry, Port Hope, Ontario, Canada

My 74 914 at Stoddards Swap Meet - June 2010
reharvey
Click to view attachment

We really don’t care what kind of POS water-cooled you drive. Unless it’s a 914 V-8 conversion of course!

My 74 914 at Stoddards Swap Meet-Willoughby, Ohio-June 2010
reharvey
Click to view attachment

Ray's 74 2.0 with 911 front struts and 914-6 rear trailing arms.
joe15701
not sure if im doing this right to add my picture but gonna try.. just picked her up two weeks ago for what i think was a great price few bugs to work out of her, but hoping i joined a good place to help with the process of fixing her

Click to view attachment
rjames
QUOTE(joe15701 @ Mar 13 2011, 07:06 PM) *

not sure if im doing this right to add my picture but gonna try.. just picked her up two weeks ago for what i think was a great price few bugs to work out of her, but hoping i joined a good place to help with the process of fixing her

Click to view attachment

You did indeed join a good place!
welcome.png
OmaPossu
This is how my 6 looks now. Motor and axels still in.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(OmaPossu @ Mar 14 2011, 12:48 PM) *

smilie_pokal.gif
rjames
QUOTE(OmaPossu @ Mar 14 2011, 12:48 PM) *

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Cool! What was the original color, silver?
OmaPossu
Metal silver, and thats what it is coming to be. Some day..
btboop@aol.com

Here is my 1973 914 I found in Brainerd, Minnesota. Now I just need some new rims. Have many recommendations so I will get her out after the flood comes through Fargo
fastfingers
QUOTE(serge914 @ Nov 13 2003, 06:18 AM) *

Thanks

The trick is to take pictures when the sun is low.
The car was that color when I bought it and the closest match I found for it is some kind of GM dark grey.

I used to own a 73 2.0 that was painted '74 Corvette grey by the previous owner. It was beautiful.
racerbvd
How the "Six" currently looks WTF.gif
fastfingers
QUOTE(JF914 @ Sep 21 2009, 08:26 PM) *

'73 2.0L Alaskan Blue. Purchased from owner since '74.

He claims that this car was a "Pace Car" from the Indianapolis 500.

(still waiting for the photos. I am guessing Safety Car or something, but still cool if true).

Anyone heard of P-cars as Pace vehicles?

John

Where was this car before you purchased it? Was it in Ohio? Is that the original color?
Rockaria
New (to me) 73 2.0. It was sitting in a driveway down the road for 5 years and very neglected. I saved it, got it running and cleaned up. It is completely stock as it came from the factory, original radio and all. I even got the Factory paperwork.
Click to view attachment

flipb
QUOTE(sofi2t81 @ Mar 6 2011, 03:09 PM) *

]Hello 914 world,

I finally got my dream car. I felt in love to the 914 when I was a kid and the mother of a friend of mine picked us up from school, Now during my assignment in the US I fullfilled my dream and I will take it home to the place where it was born.

Click to view attachment

QUOTE(flipb @ Mar 13 2011, 02:20 PM) *

I've probably posted in here before but had to have an updated photo... now sporting freshly powder-coated rockers and Euro taillights. The only external change I expect to make in the future is a more stock-ish exhaust someday when the Monza rusts out.

And yes, should've washed it before I shot photos, but was too impatient to drive it! driving.gif

Click to view attachment

QUOTE(Rockaria @ Apr 6 2011, 10:04 AM) *

New (to me) 73 2.0. It was sitting in a driveway down the road for 5 years and very neglected. I saved it, got it running and cleaned up. It is completely stock as it came from the factory, original radio and all. I even got the Factory paperwork.
Click to view attachment

In the Springtime, the Saturn Yellow / Chrome Yellow 914's emerge. smile.gif

Madswede
QUOTE(Rockaria @ Apr 6 2011, 08:04 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Congrats! From the picture, you look like you might be in New Mexico like me ... those mountains and vegetation look very familiar. shades.gif

Cheers, glad to see another '73 rescued. Mine's being re-born. evilgrin.gif

Rockaria
QUOTE(Madswede @ Apr 6 2011, 05:56 PM) *

Congrats! From the picture, you look like you might be in New Mexico like me ... those mountains and vegetation look very familiar. shades.gif

Cheers, glad to see another '73 rescued. Mine's being re-born. evilgrin.gif

Las Cruces, just a bit to your south. Those are the Organ Mountains. I have been here 25 years plus and this is my third Yellow 914.
laflaur
Hey Chris,
Would love to see more and hear the back story on your beautiful 2.0
John

Edit: just saw you have way more posts than a newbie.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.