Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Member's 914 Pictures
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112
pfreiburger
Thanks, it's funny they called it Phoenix Red, it's really more orange than red. It was not the color I was looking for, but once I saw it I was hooked.
Camaro Mike
A picture of the fleet from this summer.

Click to view attachment
DAMIENS1974PORSCHE914LE
Hey my name is Damien, I have a 1974 Porsche 914 Le. It was my dads car that he bought new and handed it down to me.

I live in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada.

I don't know anyone that has a 914 so I'm looking to make new friends and build my knowledge as it is very limited at the moment.

I'm going to either be rebuilding the engine or putting a new engine in. I'm open to any and all suggestions. Reason for the engine rebuild or new engine is because cyl 3 has no compression and I'm going to have to drop the engine anyways.

I look forward to this forum, thanks for having me!!!

DamienClick to view attachment
brcacti
Hello and welcome.png repost this in the garage section for more views
Retroracer
More of a Rest-mod than a Restoration..! Socially distanced outing last weekend:

Click to view attachment

- Tony
Pops71Por
1971 1.7L Body work and interior completed, now trying to get it running.Click to view attachment
CHIZ 914
Cartoon rendering of my backdated 75 - 2.0L beerchug.gif Click to view attachment
euro911
QUOTE(DAMIENS1974PORSCHE914LE @ Jan 12 2021, 12:21 PM) *
Hey my name is Damien, I have a 1974 Porsche 914 Le. It was my dads car that he bought new and handed it down to me.

I live in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada.

I don't know anyone that has a 914 so I'm looking to make new friends and build my knowledge as it is very limited at the moment.

I'm going to either be rebuilding the engine or putting a new engine in. I'm open to any and all suggestions. Reason for the engine rebuild or new engine is because cyl 3 has no compression and I'm going to have to drop the engine anyways.

I look forward to this forum, thanks for having me!!!

DamienClick to view attachment
welcome.png Nice looking Bumble Bee you got from your dad beerchug.gif

Before dropping the motor for a rebuild, try performing a valve adjustment (when the motor is dead cold) and check compression readings again. Depending on the mileage, you may get by with just having the heads rebuilt, and/or new piston rings confused24.gif
pfreiburger
QUOTE(Retroracer @ Jan 12 2021, 03:25 PM) *

More of a Rest-mod than a Restoration..! Socially distanced outing last weekend:

Click to view attachment

- Tony

That is a great looking car - love the color, especially with the GT flares.
brcacti
Yeah, it seems that all the colors look good on the tiny cars.......un-explainable. If you have a "regular" car that is lime green or orange it looks terrible but with the 914s all the colors really do look good.
BillJ
QUOTE(Retroracer @ Jan 12 2021, 04:25 PM) *

Click to view attachment

- Tony

I am in love, or at least lust. wub.gif
BillJ
QUOTE(Retroracer @ Jan 12 2021, 04:25 PM) *

Click to view attachment

- Tony

I am in love, or at least lust. wub.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(pfreiburger @ Jan 9 2021, 11:26 PM) *

Thanks, it's funny they called it Phoenix Red, it's really more orange than red. It was not the color I was looking for, but once I saw it I was hooked.

Phoenix Red was a marketing name for 74. It is the exact same paint code and color mix as as Signal Orange for 73.

@Betty has had a Phoenix Red 74 for 34 years. When she first bought it, she hated the color. She rationalized it by saying "You can't really see the color from inside...." Right after she test drove it.

We need a hooked emoji.
campbellcj
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jan 14 2021, 01:49 PM) *

Phoenix Red was a marketing name for 74. It is the exact same paint code and color mix as as Signal Orange for 73.

Hmmm, I did not know that! I have a Phoenix Red 73 and love the color - orange - I'm not a "red" car fan in general. So in 73-74 were there two colors with the same name or two names for the same color? confused24.gif
pfreiburger
The Germans work in strange and mysterious ways...
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Jan 14 2021, 07:25 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jan 14 2021, 01:49 PM) *

Hmmm, I did not know that! I have a Phoenix Red 73 and love the color - orange - I'm not a "red" car fan in general. So in 73-74 were there two colors with the same name or two names for the same color? confused24.gif

Two names, same color. Signal orange in 73 = Phoenix Red in 74.

It's a marketing thing.
Literati914
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jan 15 2021, 07:02 AM) *

Two names, same color. Signal orange in 73 = Phoenix Red in 74.
It's a marketing thing.

Not to be nit-picky but actually the Phoenix Red = Tangerine (also known as blood red on other models), right? I have both Signal Orange and Tangerine cars, and the Tangerine is way closer to what Phoenix Red looks like... while Signal Orange is almost a pastel.

Jett
Starting to get crowded
Hank5
Hello 914 world this is Hank I sold this car in 2011 So I could buy a house I’ve had the house nine years and I bought another carClick to view attachment

I bought this car last Wednesday i and I am loving it 2008 987 caymanClick to view attachment

I loved my 914 and did some extensive work on it I had a lot of help here

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
SavingManuals
QUOTE(Jett @ Feb 9 2021, 06:30 PM) *

Starting to get crowded

@Jett - I rarely look at this thread but it popped up in the "View New Posts" this morning. Those are absolute beauties. So what are the details (years, engines, colors, etc.)?? Part of me just wants to be able to identify some of the more rare paint colors, which you seem to have?

Also...name/gender/breed/age? lol
Jett
QUOTE(SavingManuals @ Feb 11 2021, 04:12 AM) *

QUOTE(Jett @ Feb 9 2021, 06:30 PM) *

Starting to get crowded

@Jett - I rarely look at this thread but it popped up in the "View New Posts" this morning. Those are absolute beauties. So what are the details (years, engines, colors, etc.)?? Part of me just wants to be able to identify some of the more rare paint colors, which you seem to have?

Also...name/gender/breed/age? lol

@SavingManuals

Thanks for the kind words. The middle car is a 73 Delphi Green 2.0., The others are a 75 Palma Green 2.0, and a 77 911 Coppa Florio 2.7.

Three year old boarder collie named Cosmo. Serious OCD, good at frisbee and swimming, but amazing at agility trials, with almost no training. Cosmo is our third border collie, the fellow in my avatar is “Jett”, our first, who passed at 18 years old, so we expect to have at least 15 more years with Cosmo smile.gif

cheers
driver27
Hello All!
This is my first post, and this is Pumpkin. Acquired 4 days before Halloween 2020.
1972 Porsche 914/4 with a 2.7L flat-6 swap (from ’77 911S), Weber carbs, 915 transaxle with LSD and Wevo sideshift kit, and tons of other goodies. A friend of ours (Hi Garm!) had the car built by TRE Motorsports in Van Nuys (Hi Dave!). I was originally looking to build my own 914, but when this beast became available, I couldn’t resist. It’s my first Porsche, first air-cooled, and first mid-engine car. It’s loud as hell, fits me like a glove, and I love the crap out of it. My goals are to finish the interior, keep it in one piece, and enjoy it in its current configuration for as long as possible before it gets boost and fuel injection happy11.gif
Glad I finally got around to posting on here – I'm super excited to get involved in the 914 community!
Cheers,
AJ
Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
pfreiburger
Hi AJ - From one new guy (got my 914 on 12/31) to another, welcome! As I am planning on a 911 transplant, I would like to hear more details about your car - and more pictures are always appreciated! Cheers, Paul.
driver27
Thanks Paul! I'll be interested to see what direction you take yours in, as there are many delicious flavors of -6 conversions!
I will be starting a build thread soon which will have more details. I have some projects planned for it, plus there are many trick bits in the car which I think are worth sharing. Until then I'm happy to answer any questions you might have. Meanwhile I'm learning more every time I crawl under it.
Bullethead
Welcome AJ, congrats on your first Porsche, you'll want another before you know it.

Nice build, and love the wheels... what are those?
driver27
Thanks!
Wheels are 3-piece Braid Serie 1R 15x7 that I believe were custom drilled for 4x130 bolt pattern smile.gif
brcacti
welcome.png Same color as my first 914 back in 82-83
stickyfingers
Just got mine delivered. It's only a 1.7L '73. Love the color and turn key. Can't wait to take out more frequently once the weather in Toronto gets warmer.Click to view attachment
pfreiburger
Hello - That color looks great on a 914, especially with the wheels, congrats on your purchase! I have a 1973 1.7 also. Cheers, Paul.
brcacti
NICE
driving.gif
welcome.png
jfs911
QUOTE(stickyfingers @ Feb 19 2021, 02:59 PM) *

Just got mine delivered. It's only a 1.7L '73. Love the color and turn key. Can't wait to take out more frequently once the weather in Toronto gets warmer.Click to view attachment

One of the nicest colours on a 914

KSCarrera
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

My backdated '75, sold new in Chicago, now in UK via Wisconsin and South Carolina and being prepped for hillclimb events...
Rocheman1
I hardly ever post or add pics but here is my 1970 914, better known as Frankie the FrankenPorsche. It's an ongoing project. I wish I knew the history of the car, but I don't. I just know that it has a mid 70's 911 engine, 911 transmission, 914 rear suspension, custom widened 914 calipers in rear to fit vented drilled rotors. 911 front end with 4 piston calipers from a 951 or 964 Porsche and vented drilled rotors, Dansk muffler, HID Headlights, sealed gas tank, 911 dash, big red VDO gauges, early Speedster windshield, 928 S back end with a speedster convertible kit I believe. I have a top and convertible frame for it, but haven't had anyone look at fitting it for me yet. Wheels are vintage ATEV German racing wheels. The fiberglass work is insane. Super thick rear quarters and deck lid. The entire car appears to be a hand-made custom. Crazy car. Runs and drives great! No one has a clue it is a 914, including a bunch of Porsche mechanics from their HQ in Atlanta. I saw them at a BBQ place near the HQ and showed them pics. lol Anyway, if you have any more input as to what mods might have been made to the front and sides then please comment. Thanks!

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Jett
QUOTE(Rocheman1 @ Mar 6 2021, 10:19 PM) *

I hardly ever post or add pics but here is my 1970 914, better known as Frankie the FrankenPorsche. It's an ongoing project. I wish I knew the history of the car, but I don't. I just know that it has a mid 70's 911 engine, 911 transmission, 914 rear suspension, custom widened 914 calipers in rear to fit vented drilled rotors. 911 front end with 4 piston calipers from a 951 or 964 Porsche and vented drilled rotors, Dansk muffler, HID Headlights, sealed gas tank, 911 dash, big red VDO gauges, early Speedster windshield, 928 S back end with a speedster convertible kit I believe. I have a top and convertible frame for it, but haven't had anyone look at fitting it for me yet. Wheels are vintage ATEV German racing wheels. The fiberglass work is insane. Super thick rear quarters and deck lid. The entire car appears to be a hand-made custom. Crazy car. Runs and drives great! No one has a clue it is a 914, including a bunch of Porsche mechanics from their HQ in Atlanta. I saw them at a BBQ place near the HQ and showed them pics. lol Anyway, if you have any more input as to what mods might have been made to the front and sides then please comment. Thanks!

That has to win the award for most customized 914! It’s like a 79 928 drove into a Nissan pulsar and MR2
Rocheman1
QUOTE(Jett @ Mar 7 2021, 11:03 AM) *

QUOTE(Rocheman1 @ Mar 6 2021, 10:19 PM) *

That has to win the award for most customized 914! It’s like a 79 928 drove into a Nissan pulsar and MR2

Yeah, its a freak. Can't wait to get it completely finished and hit the winding mountain roads!
DavidSweden

Down by the lake
Click to view attachment
DRPHIL914
photo op on MCAS Beaufort last friday. finally the dust /pollen has settled.

Phil.
digit3
Click to view attachment

lesorubcheek
Just joined after lurking and reading for a few weeks. First of all, this forum is AWESOME! Many thanks to those who created it, are maintaining it, and mostly to those who are sharing their knowledge here. Here's a pic of our '74 taken at some time in the late 80s/early 90s.
Click to view attachment

My father bought me the car in 1980. It's a 2.0, has an AC and the center console. It was originally yellow, which I didn't like at the time and soon after we had it painted red. If I remember, the color was called Mille Miglia red, or something that was a GM color. The painter had no reference to Porsche colors, and thought this looked cool. Drove it through high school and college. Near the end of collage, a sparkplug blew out of a head, so needed to repair. Did a second engine rebuild. Here's a pic of the block.
Click to view attachment

After working at a real job, started driving it less and less. Then, after marriage and a child, time just sorta flew by, and as of today it's been sitting under a carport and hasn't been driven in 15 years or so. Started thinking more and more about getting her running again, that's when I found this forum. Truly motivational reading everyone's experiences and pushing me to get started on a rebuild. Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself, say thank you for being here, and hopefully being sharing with the trials and fun of getting this one on the road once again.

Dan
StarBear
Dan; Welcome aboard.
welcome.png
As for getting it running again - Do it! Do it!
rymajo
QUOTE(lesorubcheek @ Apr 22 2021, 02:50 PM) *

Just joined after lurking and reading for a few weeks. First of all, this forum is AWESOME! Many thanks to those who created it, are maintaining it, and mostly to those who are sharing their knowledge here. Here's a pic of our '74 taken at some time in the late 80s/early 90s.
Click to view attachment

My father bought me the car in 1980. It's a 2.0, has an AC and the center console. It was originally yellow, which I didn't like at the time and soon after we had it painted red. If I remember, the color was called Mille Miglia red, or something that was a GM color. The painter had no reference to Porsche colors, and thought this looked cool. Drove it through high school and college. Near the end of collage, a sparkplug blew out of a head, so needed to repair. Did a second engine rebuild. Here's a pic of the block.
Click to view attachment

After working at a real job, started driving it less and less. Then, after marriage and a child, time just sorta flew by, and as of today it's been sitting under a carport and hasn't been driven in 15 years or so. Started thinking more and more about getting her running again, that's when I found this forum. Truly motivational reading everyone's experiences and pushing me to get started on a rebuild. Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself, say thank you for being here, and hopefully being sharing with the trials and fun of getting this one on the road once again.

Dan

Car looks great, Dan! Look forward to seeing you get it out on the road. Just got mine going again after nine years. These cars are worth it!
lesorubcheek
Thank you StarBear and Ryan. Agreed, I need to get off my rear and get busy. Here's a pic before the red paint.

Click to view attachment

I know there's rust. That's gonna be highest priority, and likely the toughest job, along with paint. Tons of other things like a broken windscreen, engine will need to be freshened, fuel system, electrical, pretty much everything needs going over. Next, I really want to convert to 5 lug.

Just happen to have a '73 911 that's in many pieces, likely to stay that way, so thinking of using parts as a donor. Then, well, why not go ahead and make the 914 a 6 biggrin.gif. Problem is the engine needs alot of work. Crank needs turning and the rods are already on 3rd undersize. 2.4 cranks aren't cheap! After an oil tank, headers, engine mount, etc, start thinking maybe I should just go Chevy V8. evilgrin.gif.

My dad had a '67 Chevelle with a 283. The car is gone, but not the engine. In fact, I think this pic shows the mirror from the Chevelle. Seems like I had to get a replacement. Most articles I read say the 283 is perfect for a 914 swap since it's relatively high revving and can be built without overdoing low end torque and destroying the 914's transmission. The 283 would add some sentimental value too, kinda reincarnating my dad's Chevelle. I just don't want to run water lines or hoses under the car, something about that just doesn't feel right with my ocd, so unless I can solve this I'm hesitant to go this route.

So after stripping it down for repair, gonna need to decide whether to go flat 6, v8, or just leave the 2.0 four that's in it and drive it as I remember from many moons ago. Many decisions and lots of work before it's on the road again.

Dan
cause
I finally purchased a 914—after many stories of how my father had 4x of these throughout the '70s, i decided to dive in. I snagged this '75 2.0 while visiting my in-laws and having it shipped back home. Lots to learn. I've had a Triumph Spitfire for about 24 years and have limited experience working on VWs (used to have a Ghia for a short while). This appears to have been a very molested daily driver in need of some help.

Click to view attachment
ndfrigi
QUOTE(cause @ May 6 2021, 08:23 PM) *

I finally purchased a 914—after many stories of how my father had 4x of these throughout the '70s, i decided to dive in. I snagged this '75 2.0 while visiting my in-laws and having it shipped back home. Lots to learn. I've had a Triumph Spitfire for about 24 years and have limited experience working on VWs (used to have a Ghia for a short while). This appears to have been a very molested daily driver in need of some help.

Click to view attachment

welcome to 914world! you got the group for everything like how to do it, where to buy parts and lots of supportive members.
bludden
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Apr 5 2021, 08:57 AM) *

Phil.

My ex lives in Bluffton, she's trying to donate me a kidney so I may be down there occasionally. Wife and I are scheduled for a weekend in Hilton Head in July, maybe we can say hi; our cars would probably look good photographed together

IPB Image
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(bludden @ May 7 2021, 09:21 PM) *

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Apr 5 2021, 08:57 AM) *

Phil.

My ex lives in Bluffton, she's trying to donate me a kidney so I may be down there occasionally. Wife and I are scheduled for a weekend in Hilton Head in July, maybe we can say hi; our cars would probably look good photographed together

IPB Image

@bludden - give me a should when you get down here, sounds like a great idea .
will send you a PM,
ClayPerrine
Click to view attachment
widebody914
My v8 914 build
AZBanks
QUOTE(Rocheman1 @ Mar 6 2021, 11:19 PM) *

I like it!
Justinp71
QUOTE(widebody914 @ May 14 2021, 09:24 PM) *

My v8 914 build

Is this the car out of Sacramento? I think I saw it about 7 years ago. There has been lots of talk on this car, I think it was o Jalopnik too? It's super cool...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.