Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: teener tuesday puget sound teeners
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Dec 10 2020, 09:15 PM) *

Last minute notice... We planned out a Christmas light tour for tomorrow night (Friday 12/11), Starts at the Southcenter Lowes parking lot at 7PM, heads to Tukwila Maple Valley, Issaquah and Sammamish. I'll have directions for you to follow. NO RAIN! Let me know if you want to join in so I know how many directions to print out. So far a 914 and a Cayman. P car not required,

It must be nice to have a heater!

This sounds like fun. Most likely I'll be scrambling to get my daughters ready for bed.
PanelBilly
Be sure to bring some food to donate at each of the four stops
914werke
icon_bump.gif
rhodyguy
smoke.gif
mgp4591
QUOTE(914werke @ Nov 10 2020, 03:47 PM) *

Today, had to drop a Boxster to Cantrell's race shop and got to check out some cool kit close up:
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Crazy! Can anyone ID?

Nice parking brake addition...is this the stock setup for a 959?
Bruce Hinds
Does anyone know where to find performance tires for 15" wheels? Who even makes them anymore? I'm running 15x6 up front and 15x7 rears with 215/60 all the way around. May go to 205s up front.

I'm running the 5 bolt pattern and would upgrade to 16 or 17" wheels, but cost is a big factor.

Ideas?
sportlicherFahrer
Performance tire selection for 15" wheels is why I'm going up to 16" once my bushings are replaced.... There's a set of 16x6 Fuchs in the classifieds with new tires for $2500. Seller might be open to offers.
jhynesrockmtn
QUOTE(Bruce Hinds @ Feb 4 2021, 10:44 AM) *

Does anyone know where to find performance tires for 15" wheels? Who even makes them anymore? I'm running 15x6 up front and 15x7 rears with 215/60 all the way around. May go to 205s up front.

I'm running the 5 bolt pattern and would upgrade to 16 or 17" wheels, but cost is a big factor.

Ideas?

Are you looking for a street performance tire or a "race only" tire? I'm just starting to look for race tires for 15*8 and 15*7. Tire Rack is showing a few, mostly Toyo. I'm running 205 50 front and 225 50 rear. They are showing the Yoko Advan street performance in that size as well. Have you called Roger Kraus? I'm going to check with them next.
Bruce Hinds
I don't need a cold weather tire, so Street performance and good in the rain. Who's Roger Kraus?
Root_Werks
@Bruce Hinds , Bring that Seabee up to WA09 sometime and we'll talk 914's and airplanes.
Bruce Hinds
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Feb 5 2021, 09:30 AM) *

@Bruce Hinds , Bring that Seabee up to WA09 sometime and we'll talk 914's and airplanes.

Roche Harbor? I used to go there all the time and park at their house on Cessna. Is McMillians open?
Root_Werks
QUOTE(Bruce Hinds @ Feb 5 2021, 09:54 AM) *

Roche Harbor? I used to go there all the time and park at their house on Cessna. Is McMillians open?

Not yet, Cafe is though. Open window indoor seating and a few tents outside with space heaters. Not bad.

Our place is on Cessna, can taxi right up to the hangar door and park. PM me for my cell.
jhynesrockmtn
QUOTE(Bruce Hinds @ Feb 5 2021, 09:54 AM) *

https://rogerkrausracing.com/

Big race/performance tire supplier in CA. I've only bought race tires from them but I think they carry street tires as well. Good guys to talk to about what would work for your application and can find unusual sizes, etc.
Do you have a favorite oil for the Seattle area? Back in the day I ran 10W-40 in my 914, but that was in Arizona.

My 914 here takes a while to heat up, maybe because of the front oil cooler a previous owner in SoCal installed.
914werke
Our ambient temps here in the PNW never get too extreme.
I actually run PennGrade (the old Brad Penn) 10/40 in mine.
I dont recall offhand your motor specifics but wasn't it a 2366 build?
QUOTE(914werke @ Feb 9 2021, 11:21 AM) *

Our ambient temps here in the PNW never get too extreme.
I actually run PennGrade (the old Brad Penn) 10/40 in mine.
I dont recall offhand your motor specifics but wasn't it a 2366 build?

Yes, thanks for remembering. It’s a 2366 with what I’m told was a poor choice of camshaft causing it to fall short of its potential performance.

In daily driving the oil takes a long time to reach operating temperature, so 10W-40 might be a good idea. OTOH, would 20-50 or straight 30 leak less when the car is parked?
Bruce Hinds
There's probably something in the forum somewhere, but searching is tough - axle nut caps - how the heck do you get those out? I'm doing front wheel bearings, I've got '78SC front struts in the teener. I got one off using a piece of exhaust pipe. Not so lucky on the other side.

Suggestions?

By the way: I'd like to thank Todd for offering to help with my brakes, but I decided to take them to John at Gold Line. He did a really nice job. Can't wait to see how they work. Hell, can't wait to get this baby back on the road.
Bruce Hinds
Poject is progressing . . . new breaks and bearings are in. Engine's back from the shop, new CVs, clutch and getting excited now.

Bearings - while I was wandering around the net watching "how to" stuff one of the vids mentioned the quality of bearings. FAG had always been the German name to go to but one of the videos mentions that China has copied a lot of stuff. He said he only had a FAG bearing(rear) last him a year. Thought it may have been made in the C country. I put a FAG in the front and noticed it was made in France.

So came time for a rear - Thanks again Todd - Since I'm anxious, I checked NAPA and they had one so I didn't have to wait for an order! Told me it was FAG. It was not, it was Meyle which is also German and we pulled it out of the box and it was marked Germany. So, Todd was here this morning "saving my bacon" and we got the old out and the new in. When we looked at the box a sticker on it with the part number said made in China! WTF - double checked the bearing and sure enough it did say Germany.

I hope is a good one since NAPA charged 100 bucks. Then last night I'd been looking for more parts 914 rubber and notice they have FAG rear bearings for just $38! Those say Slovakia!

After Todd left this morning I got the rest of John's new brakes in with new stainless flex lines.

Wish I could be patient.
PanelBilly
The weather app on my phone says no rain on Saturday, so bring out your car and meet me for breakfast at Piketon's in Kent. They have a LARGE space, so there's plenty of room to keep your distance. The menu offers an interesting selection and the prices aren't too high. They open at 9:00 so I think we should meet then.

I've finished installing Ben's new quiet muffler, Come hear the difference it makes

Piketon's
19611 84th Ave S
Kent
PlaysWithCars
Damn. First autocross of the season on Saturday. Also happy that the weather is supposed to be clear. driving.gif
914werke
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Feb 24 2021, 05:17 PM) *
I've finished installing Ben's new quiet muffler, Come hear the difference it makes
On the /6!
I just installed the quiet "Sport" (dual center out ala GT) on Alan's /4 ......
Fantastic sound & enormous difference from the tractor sound typically described as the character of the exhaust note.
But "quiet" is not a term I'd use to describe it biggrin.gif
Bruce Hinds
QUOTE(PlaysWithCars @ Feb 24 2021, 06:23 PM) *

Damn. First autocross of the season on Saturday. Also happy that the weather is supposed to be clear. driving.gif

Dang, Autocross and Breakfast too . .. I doubt it will be on the road by then, but the engine may go back in TOMORROW! cheer.gif 14 years is way too long for a man to be without his "Teener!"
914werke
aktion035.gif
CHIZ 914
Thanks Rich! Looks great and sounds even better piratenanner.gif
PanelBilly
QUOTE(914werke @ Feb 24 2021, 06:39 PM) *

QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Feb 24 2021, 05:17 PM) *
On the /6!
I just installed the quiet "Sport" (dual center out ala GT) on Alan's /4 ......
Fantastic sound & enormous difference from the tractor sound typically described as the character of the exhaust note.
But "quiet" is not a term I'd use to describe it biggrin.gif

That's Ben's name for the model. I measured 109db @5500. Sill plenty loud. Much lower tone
CHIZ 914
Found this cool video of 914/6's in a hill climb screaming sounds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW6ewCM-fV0

flag.gif
QUOTE(CHIZ 914 @ Feb 25 2021, 01:33 PM) *

Found this cool video of 914/6's in a hill climb screaming sounds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW6ewCM-fV0

flag.gif

Those cars do sound good.

I guess electric cars will be faster but nothing about that turns me on.
914werke
QUOTE(98101 @ Feb 25 2021, 10:36 PM) *
Those cars do sound good. I guess electric cars will be faster but nothing about that turns me on.
Ya hit nail on the head!
For years I traveled to Monterey for the Laguna Seca round of 500GP/MOTOGP races and have to admit a significant part of that experience is AURAL sensation of race machines screaming by a corner.
In later yrs they started the E-bike GP series ..... though the bikes weren't quite as fast ( but are getting faster EVERY year) the biggest nit was the lack of sound!!!
They were all but silent except the sound of tires clawing for traction & the whizzing of the chains on sprockets.
Not sure how you make up for that. sad.gif
PanelBilly
Today is my Rotary club’s on line auction. Every year Performance Coatings in Auburn donates a $100 gift certificate and I usually buy it. I do t really need anything coatedat this point I’ve got a bid in for $25 and am winning. Somebody please outbid me.

There’s other cool stuff. Auction ends tonight at 7 pm. Here’s the link.

https://u13268240.ct.sendgrid.net/ls/click?...451Rnlufg-3D-3D
rjames
Anyone local (near-ish Seattle) have a good working (0 280 100 043) 2.0 MPS they'd be willing to let me borrow for a week or so?
I've been having intermittent stalling and lean/rich conditions and I'd like to rule out the rebuilt MPS I'm using once and for all.

Not looking to start a troubleshooting thread here. I already have a long thread on the board somewhere that explains everything I've already tried over the last 2 years, which includes new fuel pump, injectors, CHT sensor, new 123distributor and coil, and new ignition and FI harnesses, among other things.

The issue is intermittent, which is why I'm hoping I can borrow a good known MPS for a week or so. Happy to travel to pick it up or pay for shipping, whichever is easier.
Figured I would post here to find one locally before asking the favor from the larger community.

Thanks,
-R
scallyk9
QUOTE(rjames @ Mar 30 2021, 08:41 AM) *

Anyone local (near-ish Seattle) have a good working 2.0 MPS they'd be willing to let me borrow for a week or so?
I've been having intermittent stalling and lean/rich conditions and I'd like to rule out the rebuilt MPS I'm using once and for all.

Not looking to start a troubleshooting thread here. I already have a long thread on the board somewhere that explains everything I've already tried over the last 2 years, which includes new fuel pump, injectors, CHT sensor, new 123distributor and coil, and new ignition and FI harnesses, among other things.

The issue is intermittent, which is why I'm hoping I can borrow a good known MPS for a week or so. Happy to travel to pick it up or pay for shipping, whichever is easier.
Figured I would post here to find one locally before asking the favor from the larger community.

Thanks,
-R

Possibly. Waht year is your car? I have a spare -043 MPS meant to work with a 043/044 ECU used in 1974. 1973 model year 2 liters used an -037 MPS with a different ECU. I also have a spare -037 ECU, both removed from a mismatch by a prior owner on my 1974 LE.
rjames
QUOTE(scallyk9 @ Mar 30 2021, 11:19 AM) *

Anyone local (near-ish Seattle) have a good working 2.0 MPS they'd be willing to let me borrow for a week or so?

Thanks,
-R

Possibly. Waht year is your car? I have a spare -043 MPS meant to work with a 043/044 ECU used in 1974. 1973 model year 2 liters used an -037 MPS with a different ECU. I also have a spare -037 ECU, both removed from a mismatch by a prior owner on my 1974 LE.

My car is a '75 2.0, so a 2.0 MPS for '74-76 cars would work (part # 0 280 100 043).
PanelBilly
I've got an 037 in a box. Label says its for 73-76 2.0. I don't know where I got it from or if it holds vacuum. You're welcome to try it out.
rjames
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Mar 30 2021, 01:11 PM) *

I've got an 037 in a box. Label says its for 73-76 2.0. I don't know where I got it from or if it holds vacuum. You're welcome to try it out.

Thanks Billy, that's for a '73 which could work according to the pbanders site, but since it's in an unkown state, I'll pass. I appreciate you offering though.

rjames
QUOTE(scallyk9 @ Mar 30 2021, 11:19 AM) *

Thanks,
-R

It looks like your 043 model do the trick provided it's known to be working. If you are in Port Orchard, any chance that you're comfortable mailing it? (I'm in Shoreline/North Seattle). I"m happy to pay mailing costs + whatever amount you feel is reasonable for the effort.

PanelBilly
Anybody want to learn to weld. I have a Lincoln HD100 with tank and HF helmet that I used to do the bodywork on my car. Its the right size for thin metal, but that's about it. I know this isn't a classified forum, but I'd rather sell it to a local guy. $200? I also have a REALLY NICE stool left over from a commercial furniture job. Retail on this ting was about 350. Hows $25? I also picked up a doctors exam stool. One of the little roll arounds with a vinyl seat. It would be the right height for working close to the ground. Free for the asking. You need to come to Kent and pick it up. Help me clean house

Welder and little stool have found a new home
moldygreg
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Apr 6 2021, 09:23 AM) *

Anybody want to learn to weld. I have a Lincoln HD100 with tank and HF helmet that I used to do the bodywork on my car. Its the right size for thin metal, but that's about it. I know this isn't a classified forum, but I'd rather sell it to a local guy. $200? I also have a REALLY NICE stool left over from a commercial furniture job. Retail on this ting was about 350. Hows $25? I also picked up a doctors exam stool. One of the little roll arounds with a vinyl seat. It would be the right height for working close to the ground. Free for the asking. You need to come to Kent and pick it up. Help me clean house

KYes. Interested Billy. Will PM you!
914werke
icon12.gif
Click to view attachment
Root_Werks
Billy, based on my recent welding projects on my current 914-6, I could use some welding refresher classes!

Rich, that green 914 looks amazing!
914werke
Thats Marks work (Eurotech) on Darrens car (Jett) drooley.gif
PanelBilly
QUOTE(914werke @ Apr 6 2021, 11:20 AM) *

That's a great tease. What's the story?
914werke
I have a Lincoln HD100 with tank

Tank I though the HD line were flux core only?
PanelBilly
QUOTE(914werke @ Apr 6 2021, 11:48 AM) *

I have a Lincoln HD100 with tank

Tank I though the HD line were flux core only?

You can modify them to use argon and I have a large bottle and the lines. The flux sucks
PanelBilly
Saturday is going to be so nice. Come bring your car out and have breakfast (or coffee) with me at Piketon’s in Kent. Doors open at 9:00 and there’s plenty of parking just south of the restaurant. Just pull between the concrete barriers. That’s their property too. PCA members are welcome too. Not just a teener event.

Or bring your VW.....
KELTY360
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Apr 15 2021, 05:55 AM) *

Saturday is going to be so nice. Come bring your car out and have breakfast (or coffee) with me at Piketon’s in Kent. Doors open at 9:00 and there’s plenty of parking just south of the restaurant. Just pull between the concrete barriers. That’s their property too. PCA members are welcome too. Not just a teener event.

Or bring your VW.....

idea.gif

If I get up early....on a Saturday....I could make it from Pt Townsend. We'll see.
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Apr 15 2021, 09:17 AM) *

idea.gif

If I get up early....on a Saturday....I could make it from Pt Townsend. We'll see.

I'm jealous of where you live. Seattle has, um, not improved this past year.
Root_Werks
Michelle and I are taking her Bug off island, but we'll be in Bellingham most of the day.

We'll have to plan on getting together with the 914 crowd soon though. The weather is really getting nice!
jcambo7
QUOTE(914werke @ Apr 6 2021, 01:46 PM) *

In Spanaway?
Jett
QUOTE(jcambo7 @ Apr 15 2021, 06:19 PM) *

QUOTE(914werke @ Apr 6 2021, 01:46 PM) *

In Spanaway?

Kirkland
CHIZ 914
agree.gif Mount lake Terrace??? Drove today perfect weather!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.