Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuiding Inside-out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136
bkrantz
Control module inserted into steering column housing, ready for future installation.
djway
Very cool on the pump switch.
I have been making that mod to VWs for a long time.
I recently did it to the Pushbuttons on my Notchback. On my old Ghia I converted the flasher arm to work on the pump, high low beams are on the floor.
I know what I am doing to the 914 now, you are an inspiration beerchug.gif
930cabman
QUOTE(djway @ Dec 31 2020, 01:39 AM) *

Very cool on the pump switch.
I have been making that mod to VWs for a long time.
I recently did it to the Pushbuttons on my Notchback. On my old Ghia I converted the flasher arm to work on the pump, high low beams are on the floor.
I know what I am doing to the 914 now, you are an inspiration beerchug.gif

Yes, the original design here was weak, from sourcing pressurized air from the spare tire to the switch. It's a miracle we have survived for the past 50+ years

btw, great work. what is the projected completion date?
wonkipop
@bkrantz
just read your thread from wo to go over a coupla beers since new years been cancelled here.

my hats off to you.
incredible job.

if you want a detail, the air deflectors bolt up with the bolt from below.
only know this because i stared at them doing the "fool" lines on my car.
they have not been off my car.
not picking on you mate, just nudging your masterpiece.
its a beauty.

i cannot believe the level some of you guys get to with the cars.
and the level this one is being taken to.
its so good to see 914s given this level of love.

correction - you have got those bolts right, i just went out in the garage and looked at mine. i was having a beer induced dislexic moment probably caused by memory of viewing from hoist view below. i remember the flaps are weird, like the bolt goes into the rubber/plastic flap - because i had to undo one to mess around with a fuel line. could not believe no nut was involved.

ignore the idiot.
bkrantz
Thanks, guys. Fun and therapeutic to share (and I have gained much from what others have posted).

I hate thinking about completion dates, but still can't help myself. Some days things go well and quickly, and I imagine just another month or two. Other days, with problems or delays getting parts--or just uncertainty about how I want to do things--I see years of work ahead.

More rationally, I would like to be at least 95% done and drivable by Sept 1 2021. We have our annual big local car show on Labor Day, and it would be great to have my car ready.
bkrantz
A few days ago, I made more progress with brakes, after getting parts like the crush washers for the MC banjo connection. I also cleaned the paint from the front MC output surface.
bkrantz
I also got the angled grommets for the brake fluid supply lines.
bkrantz
And popped these in place.
bkrantz
Now I installed the MC "for real".
bkrantz
I also got and installed the circular retaining clips for the tunnel brake line grommets. Not exactly a tight fit.
bkrantz
With the MC installed, I adjusted and installed the rear output line.
bkrantz
Then the front line to the right side.
bkrantz
And the front line to the left. As expected, all the lines required a bit of adjustment, i.e. bending.
bkrantz
Finally, the warning switch connectors and new boot.
bkrantz
Done (I hope).
bkrantz
While under the front, I decided to start some suspension installation, starting with the steering rack and tie rods. I had rebuilt the rack a few months ago, and had the rods (and most of the suspension parts) powder-coated.
bkrantz
I know my sequence is not normal, but it worked out. And I did some test fitting first.

Anyway, I installed the tie rods.
bkrantz
And another rebuild personal milestone: first fastener torque wrenching!
bkrantz
I then snuck the rack up into place, with reasonable clearance past the MC.

(Spoiler alert: I forgot a part that I will reveal later. Can you guess?)
bkrantz
I then installed the front suspension carrier cross bar.
bkrantz
And then discovered I forgot this. Recognize it?
bkrantz
This is the big rubber grommet that seals the front bulkhead around the steering shaft. To install this, I had to unbolt the cross bar and lower the rack.
bkrantz
With everything back in place I installed the shaft bushing retainer.
bkrantz
Yesterday, I kept going on the front suspension. Here is the ball joint installed in the left A-arm. Shiny new parts are very fun to work on! (I did not install the lock ring yet.)
bkrantz
Top view
bkrantz
A-arm installed. This is starting to look like something.
bkrantz
And the front A-arm cap. I did not get the correct new bolts, so have to order those. (Please stop my OCD!)
bkrantz
Here's a sneak preview of the interior. My son picked up re-covered parts from the upholstery shop in Tucson (Pancho's), and sent these photos.
bkrantz
Definitely not stock! The look is black vinyl with perforated gray inserts.
bkrantz
And the same on the door panels.
raynekat
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jan 2 2021, 07:56 AM) *

And the front A-arm cap. I did not get the correct new bolts, so have to order those. (Please stop my OCD!)

No OCD....you definitely need new shiny azz bolts if you've gone this far. Nice
raynekat
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jan 2 2021, 07:34 AM) *

Click to view attachment

I also got and installed the circular retaining clips for the tunnel brake line grommets. Not exactly a tight fit.

I had the same issue. I think the rubber grommets are not made correctly (too small) but it could be that the clips are too big as well. There hope that helped. Ha
bbrock
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Dec 30 2020, 06:56 PM) *

A couple of weeks ago, before installing the wiring harness, I added a switch (from CarMagic) for a new washer pump to the steering column sub-harness.

I had also ordered a plug connector so the switch can detach from the harness if I ever need to pull the column control stalk module. Here is the connector installed.

I think I'm the only devotee of the crazy spare tire washer system but I do like this mod. This is the way to do it. Nice work.

Still amazed at the speed you work. You get more done in two days than I do in a month. beerchug.gif
bkrantz
With recent parts delivery, I got back to the shift lever. That started with greasing the ball end of the lever and the nylon bushings.
bkrantz
And the socket in main bracket.
bkrantz
Here's the lever in place (upside down).
bkrantz
And the sliding plate.
bkrantz
The springs for the sliding plate turned out to be a PIA. Getting the first one in place took about 30 minutes.
bkrantz
And I could use the new circlips, and lock the pin in place.
bkrantz
For the second spring, here's how I got in place. First I inserted the pin about 1/2 inch.
bkrantz
Then I put one end of the spring on the pin.
bkrantz
Even with the experience with the first spring, it still took about 5 minutes of fussing to tuck the other end inside the bracket, push it down, and insert the rod all the way.
bkrantz
Finally, I greased and added the bottom lever.
bkrantz
And then installed the gear shift in the car.
bkrantz
I had more time, so I went back to the new parts box, and got the tie rod ends.
bkrantz
And screwed them in place.
bkrantz
That inspired me to get the left strut. I had to do a little clean up from some "extra" powder coating.
bkrantz
And the new Bilstein insert.
bkrantz
Fits perfectly, and all tightened up.
bkrantz
Here's the strut top hardware, including new 2-part bushings from Elephant Racing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.