Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuiding Inside-out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136
bkrantz
Yep, some quality time ahead.
911GT2
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Mar 23 2020, 06:49 PM) *

MIG time today. First, the patch in the left side of the cowl.

I think it would help to set the wire feed just a bit down. welder.gif
Less time grinding the welds down.
bkrantz
QUOTE(911GT2 @ Mar 26 2020, 06:28 AM) *

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Mar 23 2020, 06:49 PM) *

MIG time today. First, the patch in the left side of the cowl.

I think it would help to set the wire feed just a bit down. welder.gif
Less time grinding the welds down.

Thanks for the suggestion. Each day it seems like the MIG responds differently.
bkrantz
After more tweaks and bends, and cutting the top seam to fit, I clamped the fender in place. I then started measuring and comparing from right side to left side.
bkrantz
I also propped the frunk lid in place, a good reference since this piece (not from this car) is almost certainly straight.
bkrantz
Fit by the cowl (the fender is just a bit low and too far out).
bkrantz
The front corner. The front panel still needs to shift inward, confirmed by measured lengths and angles.
bkrantz
Along the headlight box, nearly there.
bkrantz
A-pillar inside.
bkrantz
A-pillar outside.
bkrantz
Still trying to assess and adjust the fender fit. I would like to bolt on the door, but really can't without setting the body down from the rotisserie, and removing the braces (which would require cutting). So I made a cardboard template directly from the door, and got it as close as I could accounting for the curvature. I think it is accurate except for the upper part of the leading edge.
bkrantz
Gaps are about 3/16 inch front...
bkrantz
And rear. I don't think the fender should shift any more rearward (and probably not forward).
bkrantz
No 914 work today. I did some office work in the morning, and then started on a big outdoor project: removing and thinning the scrub oak that are too close to the house. This should help reduce danger from brush fires.

Here's the boss checking the first 10 minutes of work.
bkrantz
After more brush clearing, I got back to the 914, still in measuring mode. I marked more reference points, and compared distances and angles from right to left.
bkrantz
And more.
bkrantz
I also installed the eyebrows, as another way to check alignment and compare. Here's the right side from above.
bkrantz
Left side from above.
bkrantz
Right side from in front.
bkrantz
Left side from in front.
bkrantz
To me, the alignment looks pretty good--about as good on the right as on the left, and the dimensions are within 1/16 from side to side in most cases.

The only mismatch is the recess in the fender lap edge, where it clears the mounting area in the headlight box for the pivot.
bkrantz
Compared to the left side, where the recess sits more centered above the mounting point.
bkrantz
With the encouragement from fellow 914Worlders, I decided to do the right thing and mount the door in order to assure a good fit for the front fender. To do that, I had to remove the interior brace. And to do that, I had to lower the car onto jack stands and take the weight off the rotisserie mounts.

Odd to see the interior looking empty, without the brace for the first time in months.
bkrantz
I had doubts that the brace could come out in one piece, but with a bit of persuasion it did.
bkrantz
Here's the door in place, without much adjustment.
bkrantz
The rear gap looks just a bit narrow, but even from top to bottom.
bkrantz
The front gap is a little wider, but also even.
bkrantz
At the top, where the door, fender, and cowl come together, it looks good (the top of the door needs to move in--easy adjustment). I am feeling good about the fender position fit.
sixnotfour
confused24.gif
raynekat
Bob, my car has a slightly wider door gap in the leading edge (front) vs the trailing edge (rear). Just like yours. Now that doesn't mean it's correct, but that's just how mine is.
bkrantz
Somewhere between OCD perfection and famous 914 factory imprecision is the happy way. Or just keep the car in the dark.
bkrantz
Once last session to check the fender fit. I adjusted the door to align better.
bkrantz
The final judgement: this is good enough to proceed, and get the fender welded on.
Kansas 914
Great work Bob!

I should have my cars out of their Winter nap soon if you need reference.

Happy April - stay well - cheers!
bkrantz
Thanks, Mike. I agree that we got our last snow in town, and the city has been cleaning the grit off the roads.

I appreciate your offer, and will probably come up with questions and needs for measurements!
bkrantz
Getting on with the final fender fit, working on all the seams and junctions now, starting with the top seam near the cowl.
bkrantz
And near the headlight box.
bkrantz
And the junction with the front panel. Fun fitting lumpy to lumpy.
bkrantz
More fiddly work today. Welded the holes and tears in the fender, and some other minor bits.
bkrantz
And some adjustments to the front flange and the tabs on the headlight box wall.

I sure hope all this slow, deliberate fitting before I weld the fender on pays off.
bkrantz
No 914 work today, since I spent the afternoon clearing brush and got pretty tired. But at least that job is done in time for our annual city curbside waste collection next week.

I did have enough energy to sit, look over the car, and make a list of all the things still to do before the rough body work is done. Even with some detail, the list fits on one page. The end is in sight!!!
bkrantz
Last prep job is filling the gap in the weatherstrip channel. When I cut the fender for removal last year, I sliced down the middle of the channel.
bkrantz
Here's the patch, made from more recycled 914 sheet metal. I even got some curvature to match the overall arc.
bkrantz
Welded in place, ground down, and trimmed to fit.
bkrantz
And finally, after fooling with it for almost 2 weeks, here is the fender welded in place. The alignment looks good--I hope I can say that after final assembly with the frunk lid and bumper in place.
bkrantz
Today, I finished the rest of the plug welds inside and along the front seams, and did some quick grinding.
bkrantz
And completed welding the seam in the top channel. The fender should be pretty well stuck on.
bkrantz
I removed the door, re-installed the interior brace, and lifted the car off the jack stands. Next is the first of the "minor" list jobs, tidying up the rear panel.
bkrantz
Got a start today, on the left side. When I last touched this area in December, I left some crude weld spots.
bkrantz
After some grinding, a quick check of tail light fit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.