Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuiding Inside-out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136
bkrantz
New tool in use.
bkrantz
Pressure relief valve parts.
bkrantz
More inspection of the case. I am still waiting on new solvent for my parts cleaner.
bkrantz
I found evidence of where a PO got rough separating the case halves.
bkrantz
I swear it wasn't me!
bkrantz
Cylinder head marking 1.
bkrantz
Marking 2.
bkrantz
The new work list.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jul 5 2020, 09:35 PM) *

IPB Image
I swear it wasn't me!

That's gonna cause an oil leak.....
Kansas 914
Bob,

Do you plan on tapping/threading the oil galley plugs?

EDIT: I looked at previous pictures and it appears to be done already.
bkrantz
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 6 2020, 07:18 AM) *

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jul 5 2020, 09:35 PM) *

IPB Image
I swear it wasn't me!

That's gonna cause an oil leak.....

Most likely. On the list to fix.
bkrantz
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Jul 6 2020, 07:30 AM) *

Bob,

Do you plan on tapping/threading the oil galley plugs?

EDIT: I looked at previous pictures and it appears to be done already.

Yeah, Mike--already done for all the galley plugs.
bkrantz
More inspection today.

The left cylinder head has a pulled exhaust stud.
bkrantz
The type 1 oil pump made contact, probably with a camshaft. But not the cam I removed, since the bolt heads on the cam gear are pristine.
bkrantz
Some ID info, cast into the cam. This looks like a CWC cam. But with an intake lift of about .318 and exhaust lift of .306, it is far from stock--and probably not compatible with the stock FI.
bkrantz
I stopped by the body shop today. They finished stripping the paint yesterday, with a dustless blaster rig.
bkrantz
First good news: no surprises under the paint.
bkrantz
Second good news: the guys at the shop at least acted reasonably impressed with all my work.
bkrantz
The shop owner just bought a rotisserie, and will keep my car mounted for now, probably through painting the underside.
bkrantz
Shop owner Lin Coates.
Lilchopshop
Looking really good! beerchug.gif
Can’t wait to get to that point on my rustoration! I think a a few months away still, but seeing this gives me huge motivation. One question. What is the shop going to do with the existing seam sealer? I’ve had to dig a lot of it out in order to repair rust and I’m debating taking all of it out before blasting. My thought is that this would uncover any more rust that may be lurking beneath and would allow for a good coat of primer under the new seam sealer. Your opinion on this?
bkrantz
QUOTE(Lilchopshop @ Jul 9 2020, 08:14 AM) *

Looking really good! beerchug.gif
Can’t wait to get to that point on my rustoration! I think a a few months away still, but seeing this gives me huge motivation. One question. What is the shop going to do with the existing seam sealer? I’ve had to dig a lot of it out in order to repair rust and I’m debating taking all of it out before blasting. My thought is that this would uncover any more rust that may be lurking beneath and would allow for a good coat of primer under the new seam sealer. Your opinion on this?

During all my work, I probed the existing sealer, especially around the edges. Anything that looked detached or with evidence of rust underneath, I removed--at least until I found clean metal. The shop will continue with this strategy. I did not want to remove all existing sealer. BTW, my shop owner is a firm believer in applying sealer (and filler) directly to metal, and then prime over that.
bkrantz
I got my parts washer going again today with new solvent, and did a quick cleaning of the engine case. Looks like the previous rebuild used black silicone on everything, including the case seam (but red silicone on the push rod tubes).
raynekat
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jul 10 2020, 07:37 PM) *

I got my parts washer going again today with new solvent, and did a quick cleaning of the engine case. Looks like the previous rebuild used black silicone on everything, including the case seam (but red silicone on the push rod tubes).

Better get a case of that "Goof Off" stuff.
bkrantz
QUOTE(raynekat @ Jul 10 2020, 09:39 PM) *

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jul 10 2020, 07:37 PM) *

Better get a case of that "Goof Off" stuff.

I don't want to mess things up with the wrong solvent. I expect the machine shop to know better.
bkrantz
While taking a break from cleaning engine parts, I decided to make an official 914 bracket for my engine stand. This mount to the right half of the case, with two thick-wall tubes for the bolts.
bkrantz
I made the semi-circle ring that rests on the case flange from 3/16 by 1.5 inch bar.
bkrantz
The part that attaches to the engine stand plate is 1/4 by 2 inch bar.
bkrantz
This should be a fun TIG welding project for my son next week.
Kansas 914
Good job!

I should have taken this opportunity to build an engine along with you.

I have all parts to build a 2.0 in storage. The case was decked by Len Hoffman - new pistons and cylinders - wrist pins machined by Jon Larson (Cap'n Krusty).

Another project for another day...
bkrantz
Mike, you just have to give up sleeping.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jul 12 2020, 10:07 PM) *

Sleep is highly over-rated.

Are you going to use the machine shop out by Cortez?
bkrantz
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Jul 13 2020, 01:22 PM) *

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jul 12 2020, 10:07 PM) *

Sleep is highly over-rated.

Are you going to use the machine shop out by Cortez?

Not sure yet. I have been talking with Dan at Competition Engineering in Phoenix.
bkrantz
I cleaned up the heads a bit. Still lots of baked-on crud. I discovered the #1 spark plug hole has an insert.
bkrantz
And the right side sheet metal has a bunch of cracks, and a nasty PO repair.
bkrantz
I disassembled the blower housing. Yes, that is awesome red paint.
bkrantz
Separating the front and rear was a bit difficult, with the front stuck on the locater pins.
bkrantz
After some penetrating oil, and patience, and a bit of gentle prying from the inside, it cam apart.
76-914
Great progress Bob. I like your resourcefulness when needing a tool or part. Momentum must be maintained and can be your best friend at times. BTW, received the front trunk metal piece. Thx again. beerchug.gif
mbseto
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jul 11 2020, 10:16 PM) *

...I decided to make an official 914 bracket for my engine stand...

I need to make one of these, I'll definitely crib from your notes. Nice work!
bkrantz
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 14 2020, 07:49 AM) *

Great progress Bob. I like your resourcefulness when needing a tool or part. Momentum must be maintained and can be your best friend at times. BTW, received the front trunk metal piece. Thx again. beerchug.gif

Yeah, momentum and not knowing any better sometimes.

Glad the panel section will help.
bkrantz
I spent some quality time with the blower housing and the parts washer today. Most of the dirt and grease came off, but not the lovely red paint.
bkrantz
My son came back to our place again, and I put him to work on the TIG welder. Here's the 914 half-case bracket tacked together.
bkrantz
All done.
bkrantz
On the engine stand.
bkrantz
It works!
bkrantz
I also had time to run all the engine sheet metal through the solvent washer. Most of the pieces look very good, with some work to do on the big upper pieces.
bkrantz
I stopped by the body shop today to check on progress. They completed a bit more metal work and welding, and have moved onto filler and smoothing.
bkrantz
Right front detail.
bkrantz
Rear view.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.