Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuiding Inside-out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136
bkrantz
And a new ground jumper, for the light.
bkrantz
And an extension lead for powering the light, since the stock lead from the clock light does not quite reach. Should be blue, but can find that in my stock.
bkrantz
All wired up.
bkrantz
Power off: the needle sits on the rest.
bkrantz
Power on: the gauge reads 0. Maybe this will work!
bkrantz
Before filling the case with new oil, I fixed one more potential leak--the strainer cover. It still oozes a drop, even with the case drained.
bkrantz
Draining the remaining oil. Looks like one of those cheesy lamps from the 70s.
bkrantz
All the strainer parts. Last year I assembled these dry.
bkrantz
This time, a bit of spray gasket.
bkrantz
Back together and leak-proof?
bkrantz
My choice for the first regular oil fill. Should have enough zinc.
bkrantz
Then a puzzling moment. I tried to pour the first quart of oil into the case and it backed up. Over 5 minutes it gradually went in. I wondered if the cold oil (my garage was about 40° today) was too viscous. Then I started to think. Was I stupid enough to leave the paper towel in the oil breather cavity (to prevent anything from falling into the case while it was out of the car) when I put the breather on?
bkrantz
Yup.

Another stellar moment. Sigh.
bkrantz
At least the oil goes in now. But I spilled a bit on the top of the case when I removed the breather. I am beginning to think that the oil gods are against me.
bkrantz
I did some cleaning up on the engine today. And then got out the last bits to install, the blower hoses.
bkrantz
Done. But getting too late to try starting the engine today.
bkrantz
I did have time to swap out the original bulb in the VDO gauge for LED to match the others.
bkrantz
It works.
bkrantz
OK, time to try an engine start. I got out the exhaust extension I used last year. Kinda torn, and it only lasted about 10 minutes.
bkrantz
Success! It was kinda cold and rough to start (my EFI has no true cold start circuit). But eventually it settled down to idle. It did make a couple of big backfires that I don't remember last year. I will need to check the ITB idle balance.

And the oil pressure gauge works. "Fast idle" (about 1500 rpm) reading 60 psi when cold, and dropped a bit at the oil started to warm up. We will see what it reads when the oil gets truly warm.
bkrantz
Enough engine (and exhaust) for today.

A whole new task: the speedometer. Both odometers did not work, and the speed reads about 5-6 mph too high.
bkrantz
Somebody has had this open before! The retaining ring edge looks a bit rough.
bkrantz
I did the usual gentle prying round and round, until the ring came off.
bkrantz
I did notice these marks on the dial. Reference marks for calibrating the needle?
bkrantz
Remove two screws on the back...
bkrantz
And out comes the gauge guts.
bkrantz
My odometer had the typical problem: the drive comes into the gear on the left side of the upper (main odometer) shaft.
bkrantz
And eventually reaches the pot metal gear on the right end of the number wheels. The metal wheel then drives the ones-digit number wheel, as well as the trip odometer. But the metal gear lost grip on the shaft and does not turn as the shift is driven.
bkrantz
For access, I removed the speedometer drive module. Just 2 more screws.
bkrantz
Then I removed the secondary shaft and the small gears that drive the number wheels. That shaft was crimped on both ends, so it took some work to reduce the crimp on one end.
bkrantz
Secondary shaft and small gears.
bkrantz
The main shaft pulled out easy, since the metal gear had no grip.
bkrantz
All the main odometer parts.
bkrantz
Here's the end of the shaft with marks from spinning in the gear.
bkrantz
To make a "permanent" grip and fix, I first used my side-cutters to make some ridges on the end of the shaft.

BTW, I kinda over did the ridges, and had to sand the shaft down a bit to fit through the hole in the side plate.
bkrantz
Then I deformed the hole in the metal gear with some gentle punches.
bkrantz
Perfect! It took gentle hammer taps to seat the shaft in the metal gear. Now the gear turns with the shaft.
bkrantz
Then the secondary shaft the the small gears. I spun the input shaft and everything seems to work.
bkrantz
That takes care of the odometer. Next up, the speedometer re-calibration. Does anyone know if the needle is a press fit? I tried to pry gently, and it seems stuck.
Cairo94507
Amazing- I believe the needle is a press-fit, if I am recalling my conversation with Hartmut at Palo Alto Speedo correctly. beerchug.gif
930cabman
Once again, Bob nails it with a great tutorial

Thanks for documenting
bkrantz
As best I can tell, this is the adjustment screw for the speedometer. But without the right equipment, I decided to put off trying to do something myself. I will live with having to subtract 5 mph from the indicated speed.
bkrantz
Reassembly: mount the speedo drive on the rest of the assembly, including the odometer drive shaft.
bkrantz
I glued the center cap back onto the needle.
bkrantz
And I cleaned the dial face--no dirt or fingerprints.
bkrantz
Back into the housing.
bkrantz
Then I cleaned the glass and all the rings.
bkrantz
Again, the goal is no fingerprints.
bkrantz
Rings and glass back onto the housing.
bkrantz
And then crimping the retaining ring flange. Again, I went a little at a time, round and round.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.