Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuiding Inside-out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136
bkrantz
And ground down to almost pretty.
bkrantz
Since the front floor corners are where the front jack point donuts, mount, I decided to reinforce things on the inside.
bkrantz
Left side welded in.
bkrantz
And the right side.
bkrantz
While welding in the neighborhood, I filled in some holes in the floor from where a PO pop-riveted some sheet metal in a cheesy attempt to cover the holes in the floor.
bkrantz
With all the preliminaries down, its time to fit and weld in the rear floor panel. To make that easier, and avoid any asymmetric sag with the car sideways, I rotated the car to upside-down.
Kansas 914
While I have been hibernating you have been busy.
bkrantz
Got the floor panel fitted today. My plan to is do a few spot welds along the sides, tack a few spots on the butt seam with the front floor, and a few short beads along the rear edge. Then I can flip it sideways again to get all the flanges on the inside.
bkrantz
Before welding on the new floor section, I painted the areas that will be inaccessible (inside the center tunnel and the firewall). That's Rustoleum self-etching primer.
bkrantz
While waiting for paint to dry, I started work on the rust at the base of the A-pillars. This is the right side. Note the small hole above the sill edge (and remember the car is currently upside down). That was probably from when somebody pulled the pillar straight from a previous collision--and did not bother to fix it.
bkrantz
Here is the rusted section cut out, after removing part of the sill edge.
bkrantz
And a cardboard template for the patch. (The left side is about the same, maybe a bit smaller.)
bkrantz
No garage time today, but got some more body parts from AA and RD.
sixnotfour
beer.gif
bkrantz
Great. Now I have to check the rotisserie lock.
raynekat
Yep.....just a whee bit left of the tin worm in there.
Doing a great job there Dr. Bob!
bkrantz
Thanks, Doug. I may need to pick your brain soon. I hear little voices telling me about how I should "improve" the car and deviate from a stock restoration.
bkrantz
Back to 914 work today. First up: finish the A-pillar patches. Here is the right side patch in place.
bkrantz
And welded in, ready for grinding.
bkrantz
Left side patch, a bit more challenging since the base of the A-pillar is curved inward for clearance for the fuel vapor hoses.
bkrantz
Tack-welded.
bkrantz
Finally on to attaching the new floor section. Here it is after tack-welding the butt seam (with metal work during welding to improve alignment), about 1/3 of the plug welds along the sills, and a few tack welds along the rear seam.
bkrantz
Allright! I flipped the car to right side up, and started work on the new floor cross member. Here is the piece as it cam from RD, with the ends notched for flange tabs but not bent.
bkrantz
After measuring and bending, here is one end after bending some.
bkrantz
After more fitting and bending, here is the cross member installed ready for welding.
Trophy
Nice work you are doing, what sort of tools are you using for the job, Welder's, spot weld cutters etc?
bkrantz
Thanks. I have mostly electrical tools: 4.5 inch grinders (new Hein and old Bosch) with cutting, grinding, and flap-sanding discs, Makita die grinder with 2 inch cut-off discs and carbide grinding bits, Rigid reciprocating saw, plus cordless drills, drill press, etc. For welding, I have a Hobart MIG and Easton TIG. 95% of the welding on car sheet metal is MIG. For metal forming I just have some hammers, including body work hammers, dollys, and miscellaneous bits of metal bars or angles. I have been cutting spot welds with the Blair 3/8 inch cutter (and lots of bits to stay sharp) as well as standard drill bits.
bkrantz
Just some incremental work today, mostly rescuing the brackets on the floor cross brace that hold the teeth for the seat tilt mechanism. Here is the left side, still attached to the section I cut out of the rusty floor.
bkrantz
Here's the bracket and surrounding sheet metal cut out.
bkrantz
And finally both brackets, after removal of old sheet metal and welds, and initial cleanup.
bkrantz
Some progress on welding inside the floor panel, including the cross member. Until I ran out of MIG wire (next time, buy 2 spools).
bkrantz
Also progress on the A-pillar bases. Ground down the welds on the left side.
bkrantz
And the missing piece of the sill ledge, in place for welding.
bkrantz
Right side ground down.
bkrantz
And right sill edge piece.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Feb 9 2020, 08:17 PM) *

^ Nice work—in an inspiring thread...wow!
bkrantz
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Feb 9 2020, 09:22 PM) *

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Feb 9 2020, 08:17 PM) *

^ Nice work—in an inspiring thread...wow!

Thanks. Nothing fancy or as quality as some really talented people can do. I just figure I can learn by doing and get something functionally better.
bkrantz
Right sill edge welded.
bkrantz
Right side floor interior welding done. Still a challenge to get the plug welds functional and pretty. I go for functional first.
bkrantz
And the left side done. Getting a little better at plug welding.
bkrantz
Left side sill ledge piece. Had a couple of burn-throughs so these beads are a bit fat.
bkrantz
An overall shot of the car--feeling like I have made some progress, and maybe over the hump. (At least this hump)
bkrantz
So after 3 days of measuring and fitting and aligning, I was confident enough to weld in the seat bracket mounts. I did the hinges and floor mounts first, then lined up the front bracket that holds the tilt adjustment teeth.

Here's the left side:
bkrantz
And with the seat mount in place. It tilts!
bkrantz
And the right side:
bkrantz
This side tilts, too!
bkrantz
Only one more thing to weld on the floor interior. Any guesses?
bbrock
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Feb 14 2020, 08:38 PM) *

Carpet buttons.
Kansas 914

E-brake mount?
bkrantz
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Feb 15 2020, 06:37 AM) *

E-brake mount?

Here it is.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.