Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuiding Inside-out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136
bkrantz
I used some hardwood plywood, about 5/16" thick.
bkrantz
I drilled some holes for mounting screws, and scored some grooves for better gluing.
bkrantz
I have this all purpose magic construction adhesive. We'll see.
bkrantz
I painted the strip black and glued it in place. Tomorrow I will see how strong the attachment is.
FlacaProductions
Fully on board with the extinguisher but thoughts on doing a vinyl wrap or painting that fire bottle black or something - unless there is some rule against it? That interior and the whole car, quiet honestly is too nice and could do without that bright red visual distraction.
bkrantz
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Jun 24 2022, 08:43 PM) *

Fully on board with the extinguisher but thoughts on doing a vinyl wrap or painting that fire bottle black or something - unless there is some rule against it? That interior and the whole car, quiet honestly is too nice and could do without that bright red visual distraction.

Interesting idea. See below for views.
bkrantz
The plywood seems pretty well stuck on, so I screwed the bracket in place.
bkrantz
Fire extinguisher attached.
bkrantz
New from the passenger seat.
bkrantz
View from driver seat. I can also reach the extinguisher while seated.
Eric_Shea
Stunning! smilie_pokal.gif

It will be ready for Red Rocks Classic right? wink.gif
Shivers
Good idea gluing the wood block and screwing to it. I put mine in front of the drivers seat and just screwed it to the floor. sad.gif Not my finest hour
FlacaProductions
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jun 25 2022, 06:55 PM) *

QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Jun 24 2022, 08:43 PM) *

Interesting idea. See below for views.

I think you can disregard - it's covered by the seat more than I thought it would be.
Puebloswatcop
Awesome Mounting of the fire extinguisher Bob. Great forethought being able to rech it from the driver's seat as well.
nivekdodge
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Feb 10 2021, 10:15 PM) *

Ready for lamps and trim. I got some LED head lights to try.

I know this was months ago... but were you able to put the outer panels on the headlights without taking the mechanism back out?

And do the terminal numbers next to wiring connections on the taillights have a decoder ring somewhre ?
bkrantz
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jun 25 2022, 08:23 PM) *

Stunning! smilie_pokal.gif

It will be ready for Red Rocks Classic right? wink.gif

I hope so. Mike has been twisting my arm locally.
bkrantz
QUOTE(Shivers @ Jun 25 2022, 08:36 PM) *

Good idea gluing the wood block and screwing to it. I put mine in front of the drivers seat and just screwed it to the floor. sad.gif Not my finest hour

We will see. Seems "smart" as long as the glue sticks.
bkrantz
QUOTE(nivekdodge @ Jun 26 2022, 07:19 PM) *

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Feb 10 2021, 10:15 PM) *

I know this was months ago... but were you able to put the outer panels on the headlights without taking the mechanism back out?

And do the terminal numbers next to wiring connections on the taillights have a decoder ring somewhre ?

No problem with headlight clearance. I choose light assemblies that claim to be the same external size as the stock sealed beams or halogens.

The electrical schematic I have does not have complete number codes for the tail lights. Here's a picture of the leads on my left light.
bkrantz
I got out the repro screw covers for the interior.
bkrantz
They are soft, and squish in but don't hold their shape. And the surface gets flaky.
bkrantz
Compared to the original (left) that are stiff plastic.
bkrantz
Then I got out my air filter oil spray.
bkrantz
And I gave the air filters a moderately heavy spray for the first treatment, and left them out for the carrier to evaporate.
bkrantz
I had just a few minutes today, so I re-installed the air filters.
bkrantz
Yup, another task off the list.
nivekdodge
[quote name='bkrantz' date='Jun 26 2022, 10:20 PM' post='3011516']
[quote name='nivekdodge' post='3011496' date='Jun 26 2022, 07:19 PM']
[quote name='bkrantz' post='2890152' date='Feb 10 2021, 10:15 PM']
[/quote]

[/quote]

No problem with headlight clearance. I choose light assemblies that claim to be the same external size as the stock sealed beams or halogens.

The electrical schematic I have does not have complete number codes for the tail lights. Here's a picture of the leads on my left light.

Thanks so much. Funny your Pictures are ten times better than the reference book i bought. As always great work.
bkrantz
[quote name='nivekdodge' date='Jun 28 2022, 03:14 PM' post='3011865']
[quote name='bkrantz' date='Jun 26 2022, 10:20 PM' post='3011516']
[quote name='nivekdodge' post='3011496' date='Jun 26 2022, 07:19 PM']
[quote name='bkrantz' post='2890152' date='Feb 10 2021, 10:15 PM']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks so much. Funny your Pictures are ten times better than the reference book i bought. As always great work.
[/quote]

If by outer panels you mean the top covers or the plastic light surrounds, then yes, they go on after installing the mechanism.

I do not know about a source to decode the tail light terminals. Once you have the ground wire on the correct tab, you can figure out the others by trial.
bkrantz
I got a replacement adhesive pad for the mirror mount, so I decided to see if I could improve the portion stuck to the glass. You might be able to see that after my last attempt, only a strip across the top and bottom shows adherence, and the middle is not stuck on.
bkrantz
To cut through the adhesive, I made a wire garrote.
bkrantz
Wire pulled about half way through.
bkrantz
Mount removed. Pretty easy, and less risk to the glass than trying to pry or twist off the mount.
bkrantz
Sorry for the fuzzy photo, but I cut a cardboard profile on the outside of the glass to make a curve that the base should fit into.
bkrantz
I sanded the mount to match the windshield. That requires a VERY subtle curve, just a barely detectable rocking on a flat surface.
bkrantz
So I stuck the the adhesive pad on the mount, and the mount on the glass--again.

Note: don't do it in this order! See my next post.
bkrantz
I got a better result, with all but the center stuck on.

After I did this, I thought of a better way, to avoid any air bubbles or central unstuck area. Next time, I will still the adhesive pad to the glass first, rolling it on to avoid bubbles, and then stick the mirror base to the pad.
bkrantz
Anyway, the mirror seems stuck on pretty well.
raynekat
Putting the sticky pad on the windshield 1st has it's own unknown.

How do you know you don't have the same void (or non stick area) between the sticky pad and the mirror mount?

At least you can see void between the sticky pad and the windshield.
You can't see a void between the sticky pad and the mirror mount.

There....that should keep you awake at night.
haha

Looks great Bob.
bkrantz
Geez, Doug. Thanks a lot. Do I want the adhesive to look perfect and worry about a bubble I can't see? Or see the imperfection and assume the inner side is perfect? Or see the imperfection AND worry about the side I can't see?
bkrantz
On a forced break from 914 work since I was told we had volunteered for extended child care assist. I took advantage of the situation to buy my grand daughter her first wheeled vehicle that she drives. She's a bit young and could not quite reach the floor, so I hacked the adjustment to go lower. 914 restoration skills pay off!

Now I need to get a Porsche sticker. Or maybe a NARP sticker.
Puebloswatcop
cheer.gif Yes Bob, she appears to be in race mode driving.gif , time to get those stickers on there. She is already on the road to 914 land... cheer.gif
930cabman
What a lil cutie she is.

The mod's have begun, good one papa
nivekdodge
A very cute little one that's already on wheels.

Great deal with the usb and where did you get the black tubing for behind the speakers up to the dash?

Really hoping none of my friends see this Bob, Beautiful
Front yard mechanic
driving-girl.gif won't be long
nivekdodge
Bob
Where"d you get the black plastic tubing for the Front longs, behind the speakers grills?
Kevin
bkrantz
QUOTE(nivekdodge @ Jul 10 2022, 08:37 PM) *

Bob
Where"d you get the black plastic tubing for the Front longs, behind the speakers grills?
Kevin

Kevin, do you mean the vent tubing? I got those from 914 Rubber.
bkrantz
OK, last baby photo. Final grandpa setup of race walker and driver.
wonkipop
QUOTE(raynekat @ Jun 28 2022, 08:56 PM) *

Putting the sticky pad on the windshield 1st has it's own unknown.

How do you know you don't have the same void (or non stick area) between the sticky pad and the mirror mount?

At least you can see void between the sticky pad and the windshield.
You can't see a void between the sticky pad and the mirror mount.

There....that should keep you awake at night.
haha

Looks great Bob.

when you do structural sheer glazing in buildings, watch a good glazier do it.
the tape goes on the glass and the bubbles get rolled out.
then the glass with the tape is adhered to the aluminium glazing frame.
(the wobbles in the tape are disguised by later filling with black liquid sealant).

you accept that there will be bubbles in one or the other surface.
the tape bond surface to amount of air bubbles trapped is engineered into the consideration of the tape surface area as an engineering overdesign principle.
one way you see the bubbles, one way you don't.

as well as being visually better, generally speaking the air voids or bubbles if exposed directly to solar radiation through the glass expand more and can start deterioration of the bond around the edges of the bubbles sooner than if on the other side of tape against the frame where the bubbles are not exposed so directly to sunlight.

all that applies for on site glazing.

done in a factory - whole different story. they can evactuate all trapped air when factory bonding glass to aluminium frames or surfaces. never seen it done in person, just the on-site glazing and the right way to do it. beerchug.gif
Puebloswatcop
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jul 11 2022, 08:10 PM) *

OK, last baby photo. Final grandpa setup of race walker and driver.

She is on the move, great job grandpa.
bkrantz
Getting back to work, including some minor "punch list" things.

The exhaust tail pipe is still too close to the valence for me. Not touching but not much space.
bkrantz
I brought home a short piece of aluminum pipe with 2.50" ID, and got this onto the tail pipe with 2.50" OD. I put a floor jack under the muffler and then leaned/pushed on the pipe.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.