Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuiding Inside-out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136
bkrantz
QUOTE(Van914 @ Feb 7 2022, 04:44 AM) *

Have you tried Oven cleaner?

No, since oven cleaner is the amateur method for stripping anodizing. Right now I am pretty happy with the iron-removing fluid.
bkrantz
QUOTE(raynekat @ Feb 6 2022, 08:10 PM) *

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Feb 6 2022, 06:14 PM) *

Unfortunately, my bottle of Iron-X was almost empty, so I only got about one-fourth the way around. More stuff ordered.

Viel besser!

Slow wins the race.

One thing I found useful in cleaning the anodized Fuchs on 911's was a mixture of white vinegar and hot water.
Not sure if that would be helpful for you on the front sides?

Slow for sure, but it works. Right now I only have 1.75 wheels still to clean.

Thanks for the vinegar tip. I will see how that works.
bkrantz
Got some more tools (More Tools!), to help reach all the brake system fittings without pulling the engine.
bkrantz
Good thing, since at least some of the fittings on the pressure regulator valve are still weeping.
bkrantz
Start with the flare nut crows foot wrenches.
bkrantz
The 11 mm on a 6 inch extension is perfect for one of the fittings on top. I was able to tighten this one quite a bit.
bkrantz
Then I used the 11 mm ratcheting wrench, which also has a flare nut style engagement on the other side. Also quite a bit of tightening.
bkrantz
I also got some hydraulic fitting sealant, as recommended by PMB. This is for the problematic fittings on the rear calipers.
bkrantz
Once again I took the calipers out so I can fully access the fittings on top. I removed and cleaned the hard lines, and the seat inside the caliper body.
bkrantz
Then a thin ring of sealant on the flare.
bkrantz
And then I REALLY tightened the hard line fitting.
bkrantz
One more thing delivered: some more hi-temp wrap, nominally for 2 inch ID.
bkrantz
I used a length for the bundle of cables under the engine, including clutch cable, speedo cable, and O2 sensor cable. Mostly I am worried about the O2 cable plastic plug that sits under the right cylinders. Probably being paranoid, but at least its shiny.
bkrantz
I connected the rear caliper lines, and then tightened all the other connections I did not get to yesterday.
bkrantz
I then did a quick bleed, to make sure I have fluid throughout the system. No leaks yet.
bkrantz
I then left the system pressurized to about 20 psi. It will sit overnight.
bkrantz
A rather big thing got delivered today (the box, no the bike).
bkrantz
I splurged on a new tool cart, from Harbor Freight. I looked at quite a few, online and in person, and this seems to be the best value.
bkrantz
The new cart is 72" long and 22" deep. I have twice as much space as in my old cart, plus drawers that are more than long enough for big tools.
raynekat
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Feb 10 2022, 07:12 PM) *

Nice Schwinn.

Oh...the tool box. Yeah, nice.
BillJ
What a great build this is! Everything is so minty
bkrantz
QUOTE(raynekat @ Feb 10 2022, 08:47 PM) *

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Feb 10 2022, 07:12 PM) *

Nice Schwinn.

Oh...the tool box. Yeah, nice.

That's my Ritchey Break-away. It has a cross geometry frame that separates into two sections, and then everything fits into a barely-legal airline size case. When I had my corporate job, and often spent weeks traveling, I took the bike with me. Now it is my go-to bike, for commuting to the nearby college campus and for fun exercise rides.
bkrantz
QUOTE(BillJ @ Feb 10 2022, 08:52 PM) *

What a great build this is! Everything is so minty

Thanks. But by the time I get done, I will not be minty.
bkrantz
Brake check! The pressure held overnight, a good sign.
bkrantz
Even better, no leaks, even at the troublesome right rear caliper.
bkrantz
Master cylinder fittings also dry. Yeah!!! cheer.gif

I feel like I have been high-centered trying to get the brake system sealed up.
bkrantz
So feeling confident, I re-attached the parking brake cables and tightened the rear caliper mounting bolts.
bkrantz
Then I finally got back to starting to bleed the system. I used the pressure bottle to bleed all four corners twice, with lots of tapping of components and a few pumps of the brake pedal. I could hear some action in rear.

After this first effort, the initial pedal is still low (but not "zero").
bkrantz
And the pedal pumps up to normal with about 3 or 4 strokes. I think this is a good start.
bkrantz
The postman (person?) delivered 2 more bottles of Iron-X.
bkrantz
I went back to the wheel that I started with the bit of Iron-X I had on my shelf. Lots of purple means lots of iron crud getting dissolved.
bkrantz
Halfway there. This new batch is still smelly, and works perhaps a bit better.
bkrantz
After about an hour of treating, soaking, scrubbing, and rinsing--done! Just one more wheel to go.
bkrantz
I did another round of brake system bleeding, and have a firmer pedal. I also adjusted the rear caliper pad clearance.

First, I removed the pad spreader spring.
bkrantz
For the outer adjuster, I have the perfect wrench: a Facom socket wrench. This has an open end to allow the Allen wrench through.
bkrantz
Clearance set. I used .008" for the initial running. Once everything is settled, I will try for .004"
bkrantz
On the inside, I unscrewed the new PMB caps (with 5 mm hex indents).
bkrantz
The adjuster on the inside takes a 4 mm Allen wrench.
bkrantz
I adjusted the inside pad also to .008".
bkrantz
I put a dab of anti-seize on the cap before installing.
bkrantz
Don't forget the copper ring gasket.
bkrantz
I put all the spring hardware back in.

Oops! Its not straight!!! headbang.gif
bkrantz
While I was under the car, I also adjusted the parking brake cables.
bkrantz
And then pulled the rubber boots over the nuts.
bkrantz
Then onto the last wheel. Like the last one, this had a pretty solid coating of brake crud.

The first application of Iron-X made a big purple mess.
bkrantz
After 30 minutes of apply, soak, scrub, and rinse (multiple times).
bkrantz
After about an hour.
bkrantz
Hour and a half.
bkrantz
And after 2 hours, done. All four wheels are cleaned on the inside.
bkrantz
And the outside, too. These are certainly not concours, but will do. At least now I get head back to the tire shop.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.