Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuiding Inside-out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136
bkrantz
Just a few things to tease the Wanna Buy crowd.

Powder-coated 2.0 air filter housing.
bkrantz
LE style front air dam, fiberglass (no indication that it is factory).
bkrantz
Rebuilt 2.0 cylinder heads.

Stay tuned for a listing in the classifieds.
930cabman
Bob,

Great thread and thanks again for documenting. Looking back how many things would you have done differently? If you can answer, it might be a big question

I may be interested in the heads
bkrantz
QUOTE(930cabman @ Oct 25 2022, 01:31 PM) *

Bob,

Great thread and thanks again for documenting. Looking back how many things would you have done differently? If you can answer, it might be a big question

Geez, what a question. The first, obvious answer is that I would have looked for a cleaner car to start with. A couple of other things that come to mind:
- Done more body work and panel fitting with the doors mounted
- Been more engaged with the paint shop, especially before the color coat started
- Did a complete dry assembly of the engine, and checked alignment and clearances (especially deck height)
- Generally have a known standard for work from the beginning. The further along I got, the higher my quality standards got. I ended up going back to do things over, and bought more than one version of some parts.
bkrantz
I brought the car home from the paint shop. They did a few local touch-ups, and polished the exterior. It looks very good. Rain was threatening, so I did not stop until I got home.
bkrantz
Now I can start with the badges and other things.
bkrantz
Back to work! Looking ahead, I have a bunch of mostly small stuff to take care of, and oi still need to figure out why the brakes seem weak. I have a few weeks before winter. Then I plan to drop the engine and chase some oil leaks and take care of other things.

Today's task: miscellaneous badges and stickers. I have new insignia for the rear panel, a new chassis/color badge (with the updated color!), and a repro door frame build sticker.
bkrantz
Here's the rear panel, with the original holes filled by the paint shop. I thought about drilling these out, but decided to leave the panel as-is. No potential leaks, and it gives me the option to shave the panel in the future.
bkrantz
Figuring out the stock placement.

After this I laid out the position on the panel with painter's tape. I did not get a photo, but imagine a bunch of blue tape.
bkrantz
The new insignia are cast metal with screw posts. Done nicely, but not right for me.
bkrantz
A few minutes with a Dremel tool and cut-off disk.
bkrantz
That's when I realized that the repros are about 5% smaller than the original. I adjusted the planned positions on the car.
bkrantz
I decided to use trusty 3M adhesive tape.
bkrantz
The easy step: sticking lengths of tape to the insignia.
bkrantz
The harder step: timing the adhesive tape with a new blade, so it was just inside the metal edges.
bkrantz
Final step: stick 'em on the car. It was a bit chilly today, so I used my heat gun to warm up the sheet metal first to encourage good adhesion.
bkrantz
Wide view.
bkrantz
I know the obvious choice for a yellow car is black insignia, but chrome fits my vision.
bkrantz
Next, I tackled the build sticker. I made the paper template from the original on the door jamb.
bkrantz
Here's the template in place.

BTW, my research shows an infinite variation on placement, up-down, side to side, and angle.
bkrantz
Sticker in place. Although the original was sliver, I opted for black--that was found on some cars in 1973 (as far as I can tell).
930cabman
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Oct 26 2022, 08:09 PM) *

Bob,

Geez, what a question. The first, obvious answer is that I would have looked for a cleaner car to start with. A couple of other things that come to mind:
- Been more engaged with the paint shop, especially before the color coat started
- Did a complete dry assembly of the engine, and checked alignment and clearances (especially deck height)
- Generally have a known standard for work from the beginning. The further along I got, the higher my quality standards got. I ended up going back to do things over, and bought more than one version of some parts.

Sounds as though mostly, measure twice, cut once. For the most part you must be more than pleased to have gotten her complete and driving. beerchug.gif
Cairo94507
I agree 100% with @bkrantz . Having a comprehensive plan before you begin is very helpful. There always tends to be issues that pop-up along the way. The single biggest thing I would add is if you farm work out, make sure the shop is within visiting range so you can keep tight reins on the project and see the actual work they are doing. Photos do not really cut it. beerchug.gif
bkrantz
QUOTE(930cabman @ Oct 29 2022, 05:55 AM) *

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Oct 26 2022, 08:09 PM) *

Bob,

Sounds as though mostly, measure twice, cut once. For the most part you must be more than pleased to have gotten her complete and driving. beerchug.gif

Yes, indeed. I just have to keep my inner perfectionist from getting out. happy11.gif
bkrantz
Replacement chassis badge with color code. Pop quiz: what color does the new badge show?
bkrantz
I took out the door stay pin to gain a bit more opening (but not much).
bkrantz
First adjustment: the holes in the new badge are too small for the rivets. I drilled them bigger.
bkrantz
Next problem: the rivets are too thin to wedge into the holes in the door frame. I decided to glue the rivets in place. Not factory, but O cam remove them later if necessary.
bkrantz
Holding the badge in place, so I can get the lower rivets installed.
bkrantz
All done.
bkrantz
Punch list is getting shorter.
JmuRiz
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Oct 29 2022, 05:14 PM) *

Replacement chassis badge with color code. Pop quiz: what color does the new badge show?

Racing yellow beerchug.gif
raynekat
Bob, the door compliance sticker placement was right on.

And with the paint tag...I did the same thing on my 911.
Used a bit of glue and it worked out great.

Your car is looking awesome.
You just need to sell it me next Spring....NOT. hahaha
bkrantz
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Oct 29 2022, 07:32 PM) *

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Oct 29 2022, 05:14 PM) *

Racing yellow beerchug.gif

Winner! smilie_pokal.gif

And while not correct for 1973, it is at least a Porsche color.
bkrantz
QUOTE(raynekat @ Oct 29 2022, 09:16 PM) *

Bob, the door compliance sticker placement was right on.

And with the paint tag...I did the same thing on my 911.
Used a bit of glue and it worked out great.

Your car is looking awesome.
You just need to sell it me next Spring....NOT. hahaha

Hi, Doug. I could not find any definitive info for setting the rivets mechanically. I thought about removing the door switch and sneaking some tool inside the jamb--and then trying to mushroom the end of the rivet. But that started to feel like too much work!

If you don't want to buy it, bring the crew to Colorado and you can borrow it.
nivekdodge
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Oct 29 2022, 03:28 PM) *

I agree 100% with @bkrantz . Having a comprehensive plan before you begin is very helpful. There always tends to be issues that pop-up along the way. The single biggest thing I would add is if you farm work out, make sure the shop is within visiting range so you can keep tight reins on the project and see the actual work they are doing. Photos do not really cut it. beerchug.gif

I was going to get it running and legal then start to tear it apart. Next thing you know it's sideways on a rotisserie.

Bob
How long was your lead to the starter?

Kevin
bkrantz
QUOTE(nivekdodge @ Oct 30 2022, 08:43 PM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Oct 29 2022, 03:28 PM) *

I was going to get it running and legal then start to tear it apart. Next thing you know it's sideways on a rotisserie.

Bob
How long was your lead to the starter?

Kevin

4 ft
bkrantz
Another small jobs that was not on the list (except in my head). The left fog light was loose, and kept falling forward. I had tried before to tighten the mount, without removing the bumper, but could not get a wrench or socket on the nut.
bkrantz
That meant I got to buy a new tool, another Facom angle wrench, 14 mm.
bkrantz
The angle and offset is perfect! I made the nut up tight in 30 sec.
bkrantz
Done.
bkrantz
Next, another problem with something loose, in this case the heat duct control lever. If I place it half-way, it falls down to closed. Even all the way up (open), it drops down when driving.
bkrantz
Time for another special tool, this one from the back of the tool chest: a vintage Hazet wrench from an old 914 tool kit. The head on the 13 mm end is thinner than any other wrench I own.
bkrantz
That was just thin enough to hold the nut on the outside of the pivot bolt, with a socket on the bolt head. It took a couple of attempts to get the tightness just right.
bkrantz
Success--maybe. The pivot bolt is tight enough to hold the lever in the middle, against the tension of the heat duct valve cables.
bkrantz
Last job today: filling all the interior trim screw holes with plugs.
bkrantz
Here's my collection of plugs. The ones in the top center are the few I rescued from the car, and feel like hard plastic. Replacements are on the left, lower center, and right.
bkrantz
The first replacements I tried a few months ago feel like soft rubber, and I did not have much luck getting them in the trim holes without mangling them. I then ordered what are supposed to be factory plugs. They also feel like rubber, but much stiffer.
bkrantz
Pretty easy to plug all the holes, inside the targa hoop and along the A-pillars.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.